LF Lore-Wise Guardian for Story

in Guardian

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Hey guys,

Guardian and Mesmer were the two classes that drew me into GW2, and since my friend wanted Guardian, I shuffled over to Mes. While we were early into the game last year, we dueled in the mists to see who would win a little story I’d write about the two classes fighting eachother. The result is here:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/fangen/Short-Story-Guardian-vs-Mesmer/first#post2706697

The thing is, I’m not exactly too happy with how I described Guardian’s abilities and I feel like there are areas I could’ve improved on both description-wise and in what the guardian would’ve done at the time. (Note this was before the Spirit Weapon’s patch)

If any Guardians knowledgeable on the Guardian/Paragon lore could help me out, it’d go a long way to helping me improve for the next write-up. Some of the question’s I have are:

• Exactly how similar are the GW2 Guardians and the GW1 paragons?
  • I know all magic in GW2 comes from the divine, but do Guards pray or chant to use their abilities?
  • What are the current most effective weapons in the Guardian arsenal? (For example: Mesmer torch is sub-optimal due to the lousy Phantasm)
  • How many different types of Guardians are there? (Healway/Burn/Shouts/Spirit, ect.)
  • What is the current “most popular” Guardian build?
  • Do you have any sort of history/backstory for your Guardian?

If anyone would be willing to chat with me, via this thread or in PM, I’d be much appreciative.

in Guardian

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

1. Guardians are basically half-and-half Monk and Paragon. They use heavy armor like Paragons and make heavy use of shouts (or at least have the ability to) to channel their magic. Monks channeled healing, protection, and smiting magic through their prayers.

2. Guardian power comes from faith. What that faith is placed in doesn’t really matter — whether it be in the Human gods or in a warband, as may be the case for Charr Guardians. All that matters is that it’s strong enough to act as a source of power for our magic.

3. All of our weapons are honestly pretty good/useful. It just depends on what you’re doing. If anything is “lacking” in our arsenal, it’d be either Sword or Scepter, and not by much.

4. I don’t think it’s possible to really say how many “types” there are. I basically look at it this way: Bunker, DPS, or Support. I guess Hybrid is a thing too.

5. AH builds are easily the most used currently. They’re simply and easy to use.

I’m sure it wouldn’t be difficult for me to throw a history together for my Guardian, especially considering how into GW1 I was and how interesting Tyria’s lore is, but I just haven’t bothered. Not a big RP-type.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

in Guardian

Posted by: The Primary.6371

The Primary.6371

1. Guardians are basically half-and-half Monk and Paragon. They use heavy armor like Paragons and make heavy use of shouts (or at least have the ability to) to channel their magic. Monks channeled healing, protection, and smiting magic through their prayers.

2. Guardian power comes from faith. What that faith is placed in doesn’t really matter — whether it be in the Human gods or in a warband, as may be the case for Charr Guardians. All that matters is that it’s strong enough to act as a source of power for our magic.

3. All of our weapons are honestly pretty good/useful. It just depends on what you’re doing. If anything is “lacking” in our arsenal, it’d be either Sword or Scepter, and not by much.

4. I don’t think it’s possible to really say how many “types” there are. I basically look at it this way: Bunker, DPS, or Support. I guess Hybrid is a thing too.

5. AH builds are easily the most used currently. They’re simply and easy to use.

I’m sure it wouldn’t be difficult for me to throw a history together for my Guardian, especially considering how into GW1 I was and how interesting Tyria’s lore is, but I just haven’t bothered. Not a big RP-type.

You forgot ritualist, so quarter monk, paragon and ritualist.

in Guardian

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

You forgot ritualist, so quarter monk, paragon and ritualist.

That would be a third monk, paragon, and ritualist.

Though I don’t think they fit the ritualist very well, I guess I can semi see it with the spirit weapons. You could possibly toss in a warrior considering Guardians were originally the “knights”, and then changed as more magic was added.

in Guardian

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

I can’t see a concrete connection between Ritualists and Guardians, nor do I remember ArenaNet saying anything about anything but Monks and Paragons when introducing the Guardian. I mean… actually, yeah, I can’t really think of anything besides spirit weapons.

I also forgot to mention that all magic used by the mortals of Tyria (who would otherwise have no magical abilities) is channeled through the bloodstones. Most of ours comes from the Restoration stone.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

in Guardian

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Big thanks to all of yall! If anyone can give me a little guardian backstory (or a link to some of the lore), it’d be a huge help as well.