New Guardian weapon idea : Polearm

in Guardian

Posted by: Shadowwaka.1952

Shadowwaka.1952

With an expansion confirmed on the way, it’s time to start wishing! Here’s something that has been on my list for quite some time, and while I realize this has been brought up many times before as a desired weapon, I hope this well get more then the beating a dead horse gif (as great as it may be :P).

Also, I just want it to be known that I’ve never actually done anything before in terms of damage coefficients, so if anything seems a bit on the strange side, feel free to point it out.

Guardian Spear/Polearm Idea
Idea: The spear should function as a midpoint between the aggressiveness of the greatsword and the utility of the hammer, while also bring some new opportunities to the guardian as a whole.

Auto Chain – 3rd strike applies weakness (3 seconds) to foes hit (maybe limit to one foe?)

Attack Scaling:
1st Attack – 296 (Base Damage) Damage Coefficient – .7 Cast Time: ½
2nd Attack – 315 (Base Damage) Damage Coefficient – .75 Cast Time: ½
3rd Attack – 407 (Base Damage) Damage Coefficient – 1.3 Cast Time: ¾

*The idea is that staying with your target (and getting off the full chain) will be very beneficial if you want to get max dps

2 Skill: Throw Spear (CD – 8 seconds) – Throw your spear at the targeted enemy, inflicting an aoe blind on contact. Maybe also add the ability to teleport to the thrown spear.

Alternate 2nd Skill: Impaling throw (CD – 8 seconds) – Throw your spear into an enemy, dealing moderate damage. If you press 2 again, you jump to the enemy and do an aoe blind.
*Combo Finisher: Leap

Attack Scaling (Both Versions):
Base Damage – 197 Damage Coefficient – .6
Cast Time: ½ Able to Jump Duration: Up to 5 seconds after target hit

*This damage is done to the target enemy (and maybe 1-2 enemies around him) by the thrown weapon. No damage is done when you teleport to the hit target!

*This will give the Polearm an engage/ranged ability while serving as a middle ground between the heavy hitting Leap of Faith (GS) and much lighter Flashing Blade (OHS)

3 Skill: Defending Sweep (CD – 15 OR 20 seconds) – Do a powerful sweep (one full 360 spin) with your spear, knocking down foes (5 max?) for 1-2 second(s).
*Combo Finisher: Whirl.

Attack Scaling:
Base Damage – 421 Damage Coefficient – 1.1 Cast Time: ¾

*This will give the Guardian another knockdown option (the others being Bane Signet and Hammer of Wisdom)

4 Skill: Weakening Block (CD – 20 seconds) – Block the next incoming melee attack, hitting the foe and inflicting weakness (10 seconds).
Alternate Post Block Effect: Spin your spear, doing damage and inflicting weakness (aoe).

Attack Scaling:
Base Damage – 425 Damage Coefficient – 1.35 Active Time: 3 ½

*This will give the Guardian their first 2 Handed blocking ability, and by applying weakness it provides access to a condition Guardians don’t have widely available.

Alternate 4th Skill: Healing Block (CD – 20 seconds) – Block the next incoming attack, turning the damage into health.

5 Skill: Bolster Defenses (CD – 40 seconds) – Slam your spear into the ground, doing light – moderate aoe damage (5 man cap) and granting protection to nearby allies (also 5) and yourself (8 seconds).
*Combo Finisher: Blast

Attack Scaling:
(Light) Base Damage – 203 Damage Coefficient – .5
(Moderate) Base Damage – 346 Damage Coefficient – .8

Alternate 5th Skill: Renewed Defences (CD – 40 seconds) – Slam your spear into the ground, creating a light (or regen) field (+ light aoe damage?) and curing / converting 1 – 2 conditions on yourself and up to 5 allies.
*Combo Finisher: Blast

Attack Scaling:
(Light) Base Damage – 203 Damage Coefficient – .5
Cast Time (For both versions): 1 second

Have something you found weird, neat, or want changed? Bring it up in a comment! Criticism is welcome, it’d just be extra nice if it’s constructive :P

in Guardian

Posted by: SirLongstride.5860

SirLongstride.5860

If one takes the time to read the whole thing. One can see it has some very neat ideas, but the numbers might need to be tweaked.

in Guardian

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

neat ideas although they remind me to much of others (with the exception of sweep could be cool).. i am seeing the animation already and i think they are a little dull. They are basically GS/ S or Mace “like”.

If there will be something like this I want a cooler skill that makes people want to play a certain class just because of this skill.

Impale // 35sec CD
Impale your foe, lift them above you head and slam them to the ground behind your back and inflicht bleeding and cripple.

lift* (bascially a knock “forward”) 350
5 stack of bleeding (5s)
damage: really OP
Blast finisher

• new combat effect, probably needs to be restricted. larger enemies have to be immune against it since I highly dobt that it would look in place if an asura “lifts” an cs abomnations over its head…

also I think you are limiting your ideas to melee combat moves. hammer and gs have spirit shackles for example. I think a new guardian weapon should explore a bit more of this area even if its only to mix up combat styles.

(edited by Asmodal.6489)

in Guardian

Shadowwaka.1952

If one takes the time to read the whole thing. One can see it has some very neat ideas, but the numbers might need to be tweaked.

Why thank you! I do have to admit, numbers and I don’t usually mix well, but I’m glad you liked it

le snip

Thanks for reading too
I’ve actually been thinking on what you said about a spirit oriented skill, as well as having skills with more potent effects, and here’s something I came up with.

New 2nd Skill Concept:
Ethereal Grasp (CD – 10 seconds) – Throw a spirit chain at the target foe, crippling them for 5 seconds. Also, the target foe is leashed to you (duration – 5 seconds), during which time they take damage.
Attack Scaling:
Base Damage: 197
Damage Coefficient – .6

Damage Over Time: 100
Damage Coefficient – .08 (Can occur up to 4 times)

Follow up skill:
Ethereal Charge – Jump at the leashed foe, dazing them (1 second) and blinding adjacent foes in a 200 radius for 3 seconds.
Attack Scaling:
Base Damage: 275
Damage Coefficient – .6

I wanted to have the spear retain its engage ability, but I also wanted it to be more than just a simple jump into the fray. I felt like the single target daze would allow for a stronger shock value, like you suggested, though I am hesitant to make it a full knockdown without further increasing the skill’s cooldown.

Also, by adding a damage over time with the ranged tether, I wanted to give the polearm a hybrid functionality, being capable of doing decent ranged damage along with its strong melee abilities.

I also kept the AOE blind when you hit the target, as this will help the spear give some nice crowd effects while staying true to the guardians core conditions (in this case, blind).

Again thanks for reading, and feel free to suggest more things

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

also I think you are limiting your ideas to melee combat moves. hammer and gs have spirit shackles for example. I think a new guardian weapon should explore a bit more of this area even if its only to mix up combat styles.

90% of guardian’s burst and utility are projectile-based. We need LESS projectile attacks, not more.

in Guardian

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

90% of guardian’s burst and utility are projectile-based. We need LESS projectile attacks, not more.

It is a little annoying eating your sword AA in a reflect or some of your Whirling Wrath.

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I like the idea that people are conceptualizing COMPLETELY new weapons for specializations. Unfortunately, I don’t think Anet will take that winning approach. It’s much o work for them to make many other sets of weapons for prof specs.

Like your ideas though, for what that’s worth.

in Guardian

Shadowwaka.1952

I like the idea that people are conceptualizing COMPLETELY new weapons for specializations. Unfortunately, I don’t think Anet will take that winning approach. It’s much o work for them to make many other sets of weapons for prof specs.

Like your ideas though, for what that’s worth.

Why thank you! Seriously, that means a lot to me

Here’s another skill concept I’ve thought up. It’s an alternate 5th skill that is a bit more unique than my original idea. I did increase the base damage a bit to compensate for the loss of the granted protection, but it (hopefully) isn’t too crazy.

Alternate 5th Skill
Symbol of Benediction (CD – 40 seconds, Combo Field: Light) – Slam your spear into the ground, creating a mystic symbol that damages foes and grants stability (2s per pulse, 4 pulses) to yourself and allies.
Attack Scaling:
Base Damage: 605 Damage Coefficient: .5
Radius: 180

Reading back over my original skill ideas, I realized I had completely neglected one of the Guardian’s core features: symbols, so I drafted up this idea. One key aspect of introducing new weapons is that the said weapon should introduce some new features to the class while playing in tune with the class’ core, and that’s what I was hoping this skill would do.

Playing to the Guardian’s group boon giving nature, this symbol also brings a boon to the table that no other symbol (at the moment) gives. I also felt that it would fit well with the polearm’s current capabilities, specifically the sweep, as it covers the opposite side of the control spectrum (preventing knockdown instead of doing it).

As always if you read something that you think is crazy, please point it out! Idea sharing is always appreciated.

in Guardian

Posted by: FoopOplo.7914

FoopOplo.7914

Not trying to be destructive but there is about a 0% chance this will be incorporated. Do you think they announced other classes’ weapons already, but have yet to even start brainstorming on guardian? They haven’t announced guardian’s weapon, but I can assure you they already have it picked out. On top of that I doubt it’s a polearm, much less with the random skills a random player picked out.

These just aren’t the types of things that are contributing to ANet or to the game as a whole. Make suggestions, not your own game please.

Don’t play GUILD wars without a GUILD!

http://www.Vicarious-Gaming.enjin.com

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Foop, even if there is no chance of the idea being incorporated, it has value in rtalking about what the new weapon skills COULD be.