Rework 1h Sword and Shield

in Guardian

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

1 hand sword :

Needs some more work to be on equal grounds with greatsword and hammer,

• the auto attack chain is reportedly (by over 100 guildies and more non guildies) to be glitchy and not always attack stuff especially on the last chain attack that hits 3 times.

Zealots Defense:

• Zealots* defense needs to be looked at as its almost useless imo its damage is the same or worse then autoattack and its projectile blocking isn’t too usefull for the short duration and is far too situational.
    i propose making zealots defense’s “wall shield” that blocks projectiles to also block any oncoming melee dmg so it would now block projectiles and all damage, from the front only.

That, plus a damage bonus of some type, i suggest somthing like ; all incoming attacks that are intercepted by zealots defense is turned into 2 stacks of might per attack

Flashing blade:

• first of all why does flashing blade have to do baiscly no damage? Make flashing blade
    do the same damage as a normal 1st chain attack autoattack, with normal chances to crit and all that.
  • increase flashing blades recharge time from 10 seconds to 16 seconds and add
    a 2 second stun

Shield:

Now before i go further, i’d like to point out that shields draw more aggro to your char, and i think shields need to be completely redone
ATLEAST on the guardian, warriors shield isn’t so bad although i’d like to see a passive block on shields at the cost of more aggro (which is already in the game)

So now, theirs the shield which imo, is less effective at helping you take / mitigate damage then the focus,

now heres my problem, i like the focus’s skill set but i would rather have a shield then a focus.

Theirs a few things we could do

• Switch out shield of judgement for a skill that gives a passive 10% chance to block an attack while not on cooldown, this skill can be activated for an on-demand block which blocks all skills
  • Switch guardian focus 3 block with shield of judgement
  • In a gw2 expansion, make every weapon/offhand set have switchable skills, example slot 1 in guardian shield can be either shield of judgement (the defaUlt) or a new skill
    shield skill 2 is shield of absorbsion, make it have another choice for the 2nd shield skill giving each skillslot 1,2 or 3 pre – determined skills, so you wouldnt be able to mix and match a skill 1 skill would stay a skill 1 skill thus still keeping arenanets new sentiment that gw2 needs to have more controlled skills.

To be continued………………

(edited by Blissified.8369)

in Guardian

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

IMO, all they need to do with shields is swap their skills with the focus skills.

I’ve said over and over again on here it makes no sense to me that the focus is a better shield than a shield.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Make a 0-30-20-20-0 build and swing your sword over 3k hit, use meditations and you have now 2 or more teleport.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Guardian

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

flashing blade is instant teleport – 2 second stun and a blind is pretty OP even on 16 Sec CD. Up the damage to a regular hit and its fine.

as for the shield/focus skill swap… just switch focus and shield no. 5 and i am happy (and would use shield in any build )

i also use focus because no. 5 is awsome in any situation.

in Guardian

Posted by: Pixels.6532

Pixels.6532

make sword 3 a while moving skill… everything else i’m fine with on sword.

Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Mongo.2490

Mongo.2490

I never really thought about that before.. Shield and Focus #5 skills should absolutely be swapped. It makes perfect sense, both in the function and feel of the skill. Focus is more of a magical item, it makes sense it could be used to create a massive bubble. Shield is a defensive item, it makes sense that it could be used to block attacks on yourself.

I feel like this was an oversight.. maybe an intern at ANet accidentally put them on backwards.

in Guardian

Posted by: LordKael.7260

LordKael.7260

Only thing sword needs is for zealot’s defense to be usable while moving. Everything else is fine. A stun would be pretty OP, especially if you run with hammer as well.

And I like focus the way it is…

Lord Kael – Guardian
Seventh Legion [VII]

in Guardian

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

Flashing blade and zealot’s defense both need tweaks in my opinion.

Flashing blade:
1. Needs to be a leap finisher…as 1h sword has zero ability to take advantage of a combo field.
2. Needs some reasonable damage…at least as much as an auto attack.

Zealot’s defense:
1. Needs to be usable while moving.
2. Needs to be a projectile finisher.

I think guardian’s have evolved past the point where everything offensively needs to be kitten because of our survivability…especially after this last patch with boon hate and attacks going through aegis.

(edited by ODB.6891)

in Guardian

Posted by: Soryuju.8164

Soryuju.8164

I strongly disagree with the idea of switching the Shield and Focus #5’s, and have since the idea came up in beta. The reason? You weaken both weapons if you do so, for the sake of aesthetic.

As others have stated here and elsewhere, the focus is a personal defense weapon, and the shield is a group defense weapon. They each excel at their role, though by its nature, the Shield is most useful for PvP and high-end PvE play (e.g. Fractals), where it’s important for you to protect your allies as well as yourself. If you go swapping the #5 skills, you’re putting a group defense tool on the focus and a personal defense tool on the Shield, weakening the performance of both weapons at their roles and leaving each as a mediocre hybrid defense tool. The reason each comes out weaker, besides the role mixing, is because the new skill configurations lack synergy. Shield of Judgment and Shield of Wrath do not have any synergy, besides the fact that they both slow down how much damage you take. Similarly, Ray of Judgment and Shield of Absorption work against each other: RoJ loses much of its effectiveness at long range, and SoA is best used for putting opponents at range or fighting opponents who are already at range. In the current state, each weapon’s skills have a much stronger interaction. RoJ’s blinds can be used to absorb hits that would otherwise break SoW, and SoW is best used while in proximity to a target, where RoJ excels. SoJ and SoA don’t interact directly, but the fact that both skills can be used from the mid or rear lines to protect most or all of a group is huge. Sacrificing all of this because you want the Shield to block more than just projectiles doesn’t make any sense to me.

As for the 1h Sword, I feel like Zealot’s defense needs the most attention. It would be nice if the skill actually had a decent chance to hit at range, since it seems to miss even stationary targets that are more than a couple hundred units away, and I’d love it if the projectiles pierced, which would give the Sword more of an AoE presence and drastically improve the its viability in all game modes. The Sword needs the least help in S/TPvP, but the DPS Guardian’s role is relatively small in the current metagame, with bunkers being far more popular, so I feel like this wouldn’t be unreasonable.

Other changes I’d recommend for the Sword would be putting a cooldown reduction on the Powerful Blades trait and maybe adding a Leap finisher to FB. I vote against more damage for FB because with as much DPS as the Sword’s autoattack does, I feel like adding more team utility to the weapon should take priority. I only hesitate about the leap finisher because it may put the Sword a bit over the top when taken with the improved ZD and reduced cooldowns I also suggested, but time would tell.

in Guardian

Posted by: DeathenShada.6397

DeathenShada.6397

IMO, all they need to do with shields is swap their skills with the focus skills.

I’ve said over and over again on here it makes no sense to me that the focus is a better shield than a shield.

If they did that I would be soooooo happy

in Guardian

Posted by: Musty.3148

Musty.3148

Flashing blade and zealot’s defense both need tweaks in my opinion.

Flashing blade:
1. Needs to be a leap finisher…as 1h sword has zero ability to take advantage of a combo field.
2. Needs some reasonable damage…at least as much as an auto attack.

Zealot’s defense:
1. Needs to be usable while moving.
2. Needs to be a projectile finisher.

I think guardian’s have evolved past the point where everything offensively needs to be kitten because of our survivability…especially after this last patch with boon hate and attacks going through aegis.

+1’d this, these were my thoughts exactly.

80 Elementalist/80 Mesmer/80 Guardian/80 Thief
Now Musty Britches since someone decided Shortbus Rider was offensive… [LoS] [NSP]

in Guardian

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Shield and focus ability sets are fine as they are. They also fit thematically as guardians are more magic-based whereas warriors are more physical based. In terms of ability effectiveness, Shield of Judgement could use a slight buff in some form, even as little as increasing its damage.

Sword is okay, but could use a little buff to make it more versatile.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in Guardian

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

The only changes I’d make to Guardian one-handed sword is make Flashing Blade a non-targeted teleport (so you teleport the range with line of sight still taken into consideration) and work on Zealot’s Defense. ZD is good on paper but fails horrible in application.

The root has to go and I feel as if the range should be increased from 600 to 900. Or remove the root and for the duration, make it reflect projectiles.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in Guardian

Posted by: Deathmond.7328

Deathmond.7328

All we have some good ideas and all we know that sword is most useless weapon for guardian…
Arena.NET pls do something with sword skills !!!

in Guardian

Posted by: nesh.7234

nesh.7234

Personally I’d like to have one more of the area denial skills on shield #4 (something like staff #5 will be great). It will fit nicely with the front line defensive / support role of the guardians and may give memorable “you shall not pass” www scenes with guardian blocking zergs while rest of the team retreats — we can’t run away anyway so at least give us chance to help others do so.

As for 1H sword, yeah ZD is really lacking

EU / Aurora Glade