Test of faith counter play

in Guardian

Posted by: Hubris.7436

Hubris.7436

Instacast, aoe daze when traited, unblockable. Besides putting blind on a dh an instant before they use it, what sort of counter play do the devs think there is for this trap?

Some one please explain what skillful counter play there is for this trap.

I’m going out, I hope someone has an intelligent reply for this when I check back later.

in Guardian

Posted by: Drennon.7190

Drennon.7190

I made a picture for you.

Attachments:

Baer

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

dodge? do not cross blue swords? stability? whats the point of this thread?

in Guardian

Posted by: Derm.4932

Derm.4932

Are you not aware that you can dodge through the ring?

in Guardian

Posted by: merchantchuck.4875

merchantchuck.4875

Some people havnt discovered the almighty dodge button, what a day for them when they do!

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Your name is Hubris

And yet…

Fishsticks

in Guardian

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

They even gave the kitten thing an ICD on proc and still idiots can’t seem to help themselves.

in Guardian

Posted by: mrmadhaze.8706

mrmadhaze.8706

I agree with OP. A skill that deals damage when you pass through it, no counterplay. Why life is so unfair.

Test of Faith should be renaimed Test of QI, for Christ sake..

in Guardian

Hubris.7436

I hope someone has an intelligent reply for this when I check back later.

Maybe this was too much to hope for.

I did mention

Instacast, aoe daze when traited, unblockable

I was hoping you guys would pick up on what I meant. Clearly you didn’t. I’ll be explicit as possible right now then. I am talking about the moment the trap is laid down. Since any decent dh will lay down this trap in melee range, that means the effects are instantaneous. What I’m getting at is that this skill is essentially an instant cast unblockable aoe daze that also happens to have good base damage. Since the daze does not proc on leaving the trap, this should be clear, but in the spirit of being explicit: I’m not talking about leaving the trap.

I’m not sure how many of you are aware of this, but when a skill is instant cast, you can cast it just about no matter what. The only real restriction is that you can’t be mid air (for most skills).

Instant cast. Aoe daze. Unblockable. Am I the only one that sees something wrong with this?

in Guardian

Posted by: Booms.2594

Booms.2594

I hope someone has an intelligent reply for this when I check back later.

Maybe this was too much to hope for.

I did mention

Instacast, aoe daze when traited, unblockable

I was hoping you guys would pick up on what I meant. Clearly you didn’t. I’ll be explicit as possible right now then. I am talking about the moment the trap is laid down. Since any decent dh will lay down this trap in melee range, that means the effects are instantaneous. What I’m getting at is that this skill is essentially an instant cast unblockable aoe daze that also happens to have good base damage. Since the daze does not proc on leaving the trap, this should be clear, but in the spirit of being explicit: I’m not talking about leaving the trap.

I’m not sure how many of you are aware of this, but when a skill is instant cast, you can cast it just about no matter what. The only real restriction is that you can’t be mid air (for most skills).

Instant cast. Aoe daze. Unblockable. Am I the only one that sees something wrong with this?

no because youre giving up a 30s slotskill for it. the same slot you would equip JI, shadow refuge, portal, etc. and when most of guard sustain comes from our slot skills… yeah I think its decently fair we have a skill that actually requires skill to use unlike 95% of Dh skills.

gerdian

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Know if guard has traps, trick guard to play trap and keep range, play with LoS in that case, if u play a melee character is a matter of learn the animation and interrupt, or KB guard, or even jumpdodge at the momment of the skill, daze is by trigging the trap u can get out of it while on animation and interrupt guard, is abit of a work but possible if trainned.

look @ Drennon.7190 example pic, if u cant avoid it, that pic explain alot, if the 1sec daze is to much get it removed asap and jumpdodge out of it, this skills are a huge burden for the guardian if they fail to work.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in Guardian

Hubris.7436

no because youre giving up a 30s slotskill for it. the same slot you would equip JI, shadow refuge, portal, etc. and when most of guard sustain comes from our slot skills… yeah I think its decently fair we have a skill that actually requires skill to use unlike 95% of Dh skills.

kitten you have portal and shadow refuge on your guard? I need to get on your level.

if u play a melee character is a matter of learn the animation and interrupt

Instant cast skills don’t have an animation.

in Guardian

Aeolus.3615

kitten you have portal and shadow refuge on your guard? I need to get on your level.

if u play a melee character is a matter of learn the animation and interrupt

Instant cast skills don’t have an animation.

look better, also if ur a guardian you are a aegis machine gun, even shield 5 interrupts and cripples enemies.

in Guardian

Hubris.7436

look better, also if ur a guardian you are a aegis machine gun, even shield 5 interrupts and cripples enemies.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.
Also, that video is from BWE 2. If you look at the current tool tip, or better yet use the skill if you have a dh, you will see it is instant cast.

in Guardian

Posted by: glaphen.5230

glaphen.5230

No point in making this thread, DH players don’t know, they just don’t want their class nerfed.

in Guardian

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

in Guardian

Posted by: glaphen.5230

glaphen.5230

http://youtu.be/EedZ5kFAvSw

watch this. you’ll feel a bit silly when you realise how easy the traps are to avoid.

This video is a load of bullkitten. 1, none of this is on points, you can avoid the traps all you want but the traps are still there besides Fragments which is still there giving him 5 stacks of Aegis. He says the daze is an identifier but never actually shows it once in the entire video. He only dodges the maw because he knows it’s coming, he doesn’t dodge the maw animation, he dodges any trap animation, good thing the DH wasn’t hitting him with his weapons at the same time or any allies at all on the map. He says melee pressure but hurrpy durrpy durrp the only problem is the weak kitten traps and daze spam and knockbacks at melee range. You go ranged and his weapon is better than the rest of the range weapons since True Shot has low cooldown compared to volleys, a projectile destroying attack every 10 seconds and more basic attack damage the rest of weapons besides 1k plus range Ranger LB that does around the same.

in Guardian

Posted by: albotelho.2931

albotelho.2931

I like to see thieves crying… just to be different.

Turig Wolfsbane Norn Guardian
Rangrorn Charr Necromancer
Ultimate Legion [UL]

in Guardian

Aeolus.3615

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.
Also, that video is from BWE 2. If you look at the current tool tip, or better yet use the skill if you have a dh, you will see it is instant cast.

With this for use u are trolling becouse dont want to think when fighthing, but ill explain again:

The animation is still the same but happens a bit faster, rason i posted a older video to clarify that those skills really have an animationl.

here is a recent DH play open your eyes if ur not trolling, if u cant see well…nothing to doo them, the only thing that sometimes makes them unoticeable is due how flashy this game can be that blinds the gamers.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in Guardian

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

http://youtu.be/EedZ5kFAvSw

watch this. you’ll feel a bit silly when you realise how easy the traps are to avoid.

This video is a load of bullkitten. 1, none of this is on points, you can avoid the traps all you want but the traps are still there besides Fragments which is still there giving him 5 stacks of Aegis. He says the daze is an identifier but never actually shows it once in the entire video. He only dodges the maw because he knows it’s coming, he doesn’t dodge the maw animation, he dodges any trap animation, good thing the DH wasn’t hitting him with his weapons at the same time or any allies at all on the map. He says melee pressure but hurrpy durrpy durrp the only problem is the weak kitten traps and daze spam and knockbacks at melee range. You go ranged and his weapon is better than the rest of the range weapons since True Shot has low cooldown compared to volleys, a projectile destroying attack every 10 seconds and more basic attack damage the rest of weapons besides 1k plus range Ranger LB that does around the same.

actually all he does is show it but personally I do not have the reflexes to ract on that. of course you can not no which trap a DH layed down but you pretty much should ahve an idea when the meta settles. so if you know where the trap is at you can simply time you next dodge to evade true shot and release the trap. on anonterh note it makes no difference what he dodges with dragons maw. the damage component hurts yes but getting stuck and having kitten slow is pretty much a game changer.

i could go now to other elite spacs that are even more OP. I mean look at druid. 1200 port/evade with a 3k heal on a kittening 8 sec CD if you play it right the can basically tank and kite you forever.

Scrappers Perfectly Weighted can pretty much negate DH bow completely on top of kittenting on traps as well. not to speak of mesmers and what not.

go back three weeks on this board and you will realize traps are stupid and no one runs into them.

in Guardian

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

A small PSA to all struggling with Test of Faith (the ring of swords which hurts) trap:

The reason this trap is so problematic aside from l2p issues, is how a good guardian will use it:

A skilled guardian who is either surprising you, or watching for your dodges will usually teleport to you (Judge’s Intervention), and then use Great sword #2 (spin2win) WHILE casting Test of Faith. Since Test of faith is instant cast, you get dazed, hit by the first 3-kittens of whirling wrath, and hit by the initial triggering of Test of Faith. This is a sizeable amount of damage that can’t effectively be avoided, or proactively countered in most cases. After this, it’s usually down hill for you.

Here’s what you CAN do: try to apply protection, stability, blocks, or invulns if you see a DH teleport to you. In almost all cases, a DH teleporting to you means VERY bad news. Try to move a bit before dodging. Dodging immediately upon getting hit will likely deposit you right before the edge of the ring resulting in you getting hit for crossing it. You want to take a couple steps, then dodge so that you avoid the edge of the ring.

Do NOT try and burst a DH using this combo. Wait until after the DH teleports, and you’re outside of the ring before putting pressure on him/her. Ranged pressure generally works better. It won’t be long before they pop their f3 if you have decent ranged pressure.

Also, watch for the golden tether! Our f1 (spear of justice) can be used to pull you to us (very strong 1200 range pull). Often times this will result in you getting pulled into a trap, or across Test of Faith. Try to pop stability or invuln to counter this. If you’re a thief, save your shadow-step to counter this ability.

in Guardian

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

It just makes me laugh all this QQ. When DD Cele Ele was broken with its bugged ring of fire people were still able to fight them. You learned not to roll around walking in and out of the ring. You learned when to burst them and when not.

DH is nowhere near as OP and DD Cele Ele was and yet people cry because they never heard of dodge or LOS or baiting a DH to move away from his traps.

smh

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in Guardian

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

This inquiry for “advice” is nothing more than a stealth request for nerf. How do I know. Whenever an advice is given, the OP ardently dismissed it into “the trap is a death sentence, there is no way around it (nerf please?”). Luckly we are not mesmers or he will go and ask for visual marker for the real one among the clones.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

in Guardian

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

This inquiry for “advice” is nothing more than a stealth request for nerf. How do I know. Whenever an advice is given, the OP ardently dismissed it into “the trap is a death sentence, there is no way around it (nerf please?”). Luckly we are not mesmers or he will go and ask for visual marker for the real one among the clones.

Bads will forever be bads. They blame their failure on everything but themselves.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

in Guardian

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

OMG awesome idea…maybe i should post on mesmer board !!!

“mesmer clones are soooo annoying i use up all my burst on one and realise its a clone. please put an icon over the real mesmer for us noobs so we know who to target”

LOL

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in Guardian

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

OMG awesome idea…maybe i should post on mesmer board !!!

“mesmer clones are soooo annoying i use up all my burst on one and realise its a clone. please put an icon over the real mesmer for us noobs so we know who to target”

LOL

Not to derail the QQ here, but you don’t need to post that idea on the mesmer board – the idea is already been made!! It’s call the aclarity flame on the real mesmer.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

in Guardian

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

Whenever an advice is given, the OP ardently dismissed it into “the trap is a death sentence, there is no way around it (nerf please?”). Luckly we are not mesmers or he will go and ask for visual marker for the real one among the clones.

Only one person actually gave advice.
Telling someone to ‘learn to play’ / ‘your bad’ -doesn’t count.

Mesmer- Yeah people already ask for that.

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

in Guardian

Posted by: Indure.5410

Indure.5410

I’m not trying to sound like a troll, but the counter play to traps is to avoid them.

If you know where they are don’t walk into them and if you do get ensnared, get out of them and pop a defensive skill to recover. This is the same strategy you use against every other gimmick spec in the game. Wait out the gimmick and then make them pay for using a utility.

I think the OP needs to realize that if your fighting a guardian (or any class) on his own terms you should be losing.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Doing that JI+ToF+WW combo also costs 2 utility skills and a weapon skill. That’s a pretty high cost for maybe good effect. It’s certainly more effective on the unprepared.

Fishsticks

in Guardian

Posted by: phor.7952

phor.7952

what sort of counter play do the devs think there is for this trap?

1) Using minions to trigger traps
2) Pressure from range
3) Stability/stunbreak/dodge if you get jumped on
4) Proper team play and rotation so you don’t get caught out 1v1 against classes that counter yours

Test of Faith should definitely be unblockable when you walk through the swords… I don’t think anyone is arguing that point.

But there’s also an “initial damage” component that hits right when you drop the trap. The fact that that initial damage is unblockable makes it very powerful when you combine it with sword2 or judges intervention. So maybe a compromise would be to remove the initial damage altogether and buff the damage taken when you cross the swords to compensate?

in Guardian

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

2) Pressure from range
4) Proper team play and rotation so you don’t get caught out 1v1 against classes that counter yours

Test of Faith should definitely be unblockable when you walk through the swords… I don’t think anyone is arguing that point.

But there’s also an “initial damage” component that hits right when you drop the trap. The fact that that initial damage is unblockable makes it very powerful when you combine it with sword2 or judges intervention. So maybe a compromise would be to remove the initial damage altogether and buff the damage taken when you cross the swords to compensate?

Trust me, any buff to damage with traps is gonna be met with stiff opposition.

in Guardian

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

2) Pressure from range

I’m not calling for nerfs cause that is indeed stupid.

However there are some particulars of your new class that leave me a bit speechless. It’s the smell really….unblockable this, instant that—it all smells very much like aged Gouda.

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

in Guardian

Posted by: Lewis Burnell.2493

Lewis Burnell.2493

No point in making this thread, DH players don’t know, they just don’t want their class nerfed.

Well I play revenant and scrapper and have to say the dragonhunter is easy to deal with: it’s predictable what they’ll do so just save your dodges/stun breaks and avoid their true shot. It’s rather easy, really.

in Guardian

Aeolus.3615

It just makes me laugh all this QQ. When DD Cele Ele was broken with its bugged ring of fire people were still able to fight them. You learned not to roll around walking in and out of the ring. You learned when to burst them and when not.

DH is nowhere near as OP and DD Cele Ele was and yet people cry because they never heard of dodge or LOS or baiting a DH to move away from his traps.

smh

And PU mesmers also were perfectly balanced out invisibility with a 30k+ burst.
Besides people just want to smash buttons to win, they play squishy in expectations to spam to win withjust a few skils, people dont want to learn in a game they want instant reward, HoT has several minor balance issues that is for sure but can be easily fixed.
Now those players that were used to play easy builds are finding competition they refuse to change to other gear, and by what ive been seen people after know that the DH is using traps people insist in go rush mindless melee spam in most cases.

Players loosing to DH are players that fight in expectation to be rewarded by buttons and damage.

in Guardian

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

Well I play revenant and scrapper and have to say the dragonhunter is easy to deal with: it’s predictable what they’ll do so just save your dodges/stun breaks and avoid their true shot. It’s rather easy, really.

see! this guy knows whats up. nothing to see here.

in Guardian

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Don’t walk into it.

There’s your intelligent counter play.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

in Guardian

Posted by: jdallen.5179

jdallen.5179

2) Pressure from range

I’m not calling for nerfs cause that is indeed stupid.

However there are some particulars of your new class that leave me a bit speechless. It’s the smell really….unblockable this, instant that—it all smells very much like aged Gouda.

Frankly, I don’t see the problem. I run DH traps in WvW and am far from invincible. I’m still a free loot bag for a decent ranger 1:1. There are lots of counters for traps, and some pretty good ones have been suggested here.

Don’t assume the same play style will continue to work as the game changes and gear and skill options become more complex. There are lots of builds I’ve found myself walking away from as they became too dependent on people following particular patterns… Which then changed. I suggest you experiment and adapt. Working with a group rather than solo helps too

in Guardian

Posted by: Mefiq.7039

Mefiq.7039

I hope Anet will give every class this kind of spell, Dodge or die! You See Blue swords?/Fire?/Red Fire? You better roll or get hard hitted/BURNED TO 0 hp/burned a bit(nerfed ;( )
When it was op on ele cuz every time you ran past it you will get 3xburn that can stack to insane numbers, on Guard all you needed is for enemy to pass it once and get burned to the death. Now cuz most “morons”(Guardians) cant seem to play medi without this kind of spell they got fun trap that will deal direct unblockable dmg everytime enemy passes trough. Fun and balanced skill that can force on any weapon any enemy to roll before you cast it.
Dont you guys think that always sayind “you can dodge it” to player that has 2bars of endurance and nerfed by anet endu regen is bs? Well i know Guards can block for eternity but not every class is guardian, open ur F eyes. There should be reward for playing well, not just for playing. And dumbhunters are best example how to not balance any range class in game. Anet tried hard to break Rangers but they failed, even with pets 1shotting enemy rangers still werent meta, thank god thier research payed off.

“Im speaker of Truth” – Mefiq.7039 2015

in Guardian

Posted by: RaNoGa.6348

RaNoGa.6348

^ the QQ is strong in this one,

Feel free to check out my Guardian play at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWc0xVUYkiWwuS8hRkBgMGQ

in Guardian

Posted by: Drennon.7190

Drennon.7190

I hope Anet will give every class this kind of spell, Dodge or die! You See Blue swords?/Fire?/Red Fire? You better roll or get hard hitted/BURNED TO 0 hp/burned a bit(nerfed ;( )
When it was op on ele cuz every time you ran past it you will get 3xburn that can stack to insane numbers, on Guard all you needed is for enemy to pass it once and get burned to the death. Now cuz most “morons”(Guardians) cant seem to play medi without this kind of spell they got fun trap that will deal direct unblockable dmg everytime enemy passes trough. Fun and balanced skill that can force on any weapon any enemy to roll before you cast it.
Dont you guys think that always sayind “you can dodge it” to player that has 2bars of endurance and nerfed by anet endu regen is bs? Well i know Guards can block for eternity but not every class is guardian, open ur F eyes. There should be reward for playing well, not just for playing. And dumbhunters are best example how to not balance any range class in game. Anet tried hard to break Rangers but they failed, even with pets 1shotting enemy rangers still werent meta, thank god thier research payed off.

gitgud

Baer

in Guardian

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

And this is exactly why I always run hybrid builds. Always surprise your opponent for that extra edge.

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]