Tome Change ideas

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: JonPeters.5630

JonPeters.5630

Game Design Lead

Next

Wanted to run a potential idea past you all. Comments welcome.

Tome of Courage -> Signet of Courage
Passive: PBAoE Heal every 10 seconds.
Active: Light of Deliverance

Tome of Wrath -> “Feel My Wrath”
Shout that grants Quickness and Fury

We like the idea of tomes and if we did this we would hope to bring them back in a future Elite Specialization.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks,

Jon

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Any idea for Cooldowns if these would be put in place? The Tomes are pretty cool, but Courage, currently, is almost useless.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

What is Light of Deliverance?

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

Sounds good. Better than current tomes.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Schrenker.5130

Schrenker.5130

I like the idea, this would be actually huge for guardians, both in pve and pvp, and create possible rival for currently untouchable renewed focus.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

Depends on many factors such as the CD, healing per tick, scaling ect.

Edit: remember, it’s competing against a 3 second invul so they need to be solid.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

What’s the cooldown on Signet of Courage?

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Pitman.9210

Pitman.9210

The aoe full heal from the tome

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Rumpo.7832

Rumpo.7832

What are the cooldowns of these skills going to be? They seem pretty overpowered at the moment.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Serdoc.7261

Serdoc.7261

I never liked tomes that much.
Honestly, I like the idea of an elite shout and an elite Signet.

I’m not sure, can you, umm…. do that again? ROM – 2015
#allisvain

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

So for signet of Courage, a full heal with a 4 1/2 sec cast on a 30 sec cool down?
And “feel my wraith” would be a Aoe quickness with fury with a 15 sec cool down?

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Thorwyn.8469

Thorwyn.8469

I like this idea, tomes were never that handy to use.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

Tome of Courage skill 5 – 100% AoE heal.

I like that changes. Tomes are cool, but they need a serious rework to be useful, in my opinion.

Both of these seem pretty powerful and fun to use. I don’t know how it will affect the game, but I like the general idea.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

I like the idea of these changes since they’d be affected by Runes and Traits, and I won’t lose my weapon skills. Would the Signet of Courage heal be reduced to 8s per tick like the Signet of Resolve does when you have the Signet Mastery trait?

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Pitman.9210

Pitman.9210

One thing that could break things: Right now when you cast Tome of Courage you can’t use your virtues. With this change you could start casting the signet and give yourself stability with your traited F3 (4 sec – 3 stacks). Don’t nerf the trait because of that! You’ll break Guards if you do!

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Clip.6845

Clip.6845

Sounds like an improvement to me, depending on the amount healed and the duration of the quickness.

80’s: Engineer/Warrior/Necromancer/Mesmer/Thief/Elementalist/Guardian [Seafarer’s Rest]

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

We like the idea of tomes and if we did this we would hope to bring them back in a future Elite Specialization.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks,

Jon

I love the idea for signet of courage since the tome itself feels very clunky to use, as for “Feel My Wrath” is it safe to assume there will be no voice clip that plays?

Also, a few questions regarding signet of courage:

1. Is there an established range for the passive?
  2. Is the activation time the same as the current Light of Deliverance?
  3. Can you move while casting Light of Deliverance in the the signet form?

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Tesla.9072

Tesla.9072

Sounds awesome!

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Stationary may be an issue. Some formats of play do not look too kindly on stationary players

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Less rooting when using them! It is very dangerous to be a sitting duck in GW2 combat where you want to be moving around

9 Guardians later…

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

I like the tomes as a mechanic, however, I also fully support the idea of turning them into signets and bringing tomes back as a separate fleshed out elite specialization at a later date.

This is a win win, regardless of whether you like tomes as they are or not, because as an elite spec tomes can be made into something more than a gimmick while vanilla Guardians can get two powerful skills out of to replace their gimmicky versions in the mean time.

(edited by Crise.9401)

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Tarsius.3170

Tarsius.3170

I like the tomes as a mechanic, however, I also fully support the idea of turning them into signets and bringing tomes back as a separate fleshed out elite specialization at a later date.

Only courage is a signet, wrath is a shout

Warhaft Tarsius – Asura Guardian ( Desolation ) – [NUKE]
Guardian FAQ · BUGS · HEALING

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

YuiRS.8129

So for signet of Courage, a full heal with a 4 1/2 sec cast on a 30 sec cool down?
And “feel my wraith” would be a Aoe quickness with fury with a 15 sec cool down?

You what mate? 15 sec cooldown on AoE quickness, really?

I’d rather see a Banner-like cast time on the Signet with 60s cooldown or something like that. No idea about the Shout, but it needs to be 45-60s cooldown, grant 2-3s of quickness and 15s of Fury.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Tarsius.3170

although Wrath as a signet could have +speed passive and active quick/fury

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

I agree that tomes would be a good idea for a future spec (be it for guardian, or for any other prof where a scholary theme might fit).

I love both elite changes.

Signet of Courage is very appealing to support guardians, being kind of like an elite version of Healing Signet. Guardians deserve something like that as much, if not more, than Warriors, and being PBAoE is perfectly fitting and distinct from HS.

“Feel My Wrath” will be the default pve dps pick, while the current meditation elite should still be the best at filling the self-survival role. They are all simple to understand, and immediately appealing.

I don’t have much more to say, but perhaps I could make the following question: do quickness and fury fit the guardian’s theme? Wouldn’t this kind of effect make more sense to more aggressive professions like warrior, ranger or revenant? Perhaps there might be some kind of theme overlapping here? But it’s a very exciting effect nonetheless, and I’d rather have it over something sucky.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Arrk.4102

Arrk.4102

I really love the changes, and they make other guardian elites worth using, imo.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Yashizuko.9165

Yashizuko.9165

I think it’s a good change, but i would like to keep the 5 of tome of wrath!, atleast the animation, it’s the best in the game really, it feels so powerful, if “Feel My Wrath” has that, well it would be awsome

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks,

Jon

I like the idea of the tomes myself. I must say they are the best looking elites in the game.

However, how about mashing Tome of Courage, and Tome of Wrath together into one tome, like Tome of Judgement or something?

Tome of Judgement could do both what Tome of Courge and Tome of Wrath could, but of course a little bit weaker in effect, perhaps?

And then make one of that new sigent, or shout you have there?

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

So you are saying that the tomes are… on the table?

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Dace.3985

Dace.3985

I feel bad because Tomes have been with us so long but I understand why and like the idea of Tomes coming back as a specialization. I also like having an elite shout and elite signet which will finally give some competition to Renewed Focus.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: JonPeters.5630

Previous

JonPeters.5630

Game Design Lead

Any idea for Cooldowns if these would be put in place? The Tomes are pretty cool, but Courage, currently, is almost useless.

I don’t have the heal/boon duration numbers in my head but the current test cooldowns are 180 on signet of course and 30 on “feel my wrath.”

Jon

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Ylvina.6749

Ylvina.6749

wow! this is one of the best changes i’ve ever read

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

For Guardian, these looks like they could be fun and interesting.

However, if you’re going to let Guardian apply Quickness to the party, then I hope you are upping Mesmers’ ability to do reliable damage in PvE. Otherwise you could possibly be edging Mesmers completely out of the speedrun meta. Guardians already do more damage more reliably and have higher uptime on their reflects … not to mention heavy armor and no worries about AOE/cleave killing their phantasms (back to the reliable aspect of damage).

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Vlox.4792

Vlox.4792

Give the Tomes to a later Necro specialization

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: DaG.5103

DaG.5103

Tomes are a cool idea but are really lacking in build support. These elites make a lot more sense, and sound strong enough to actually consider over Renewed Focus (which, outside of niche applications, Tomes never were).

Full Light of Deliverance on active seems like it might be pretty overpowered, and doesn’t this sort of clash with the OTHER healing signet we have? What if it didn’t affect the user as a heal, but affected allies – something like “full/strong heal on nearby allies, grants (some kind of boon) per ally affected to user” or something.

The shout is also useable as is, but I liked the burning aspect of Tome of Wrath (wrath always equates to Burn in my mind), so maybe allies affected get the Courage burn as well or something for the next X hits? You could coordinate with allies for huge spikes of damage if you all get to stack burns up with quickness – that feels REALLY wrathful!

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

BobbyT.7192

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks,

Jon

I love the idea for signet of courage since the tome itself feels very clunky to use, as for “Feel My Wrath” is it safe to assume there will be no voice clip that plays?

Also, a few questions regarding signet of courage:

1. Is there an established range for the passive?
  2. Is the activation time the same as the current Light of Deliverance?
  3. Can you move while casting Light of Deliverance in the the signet form?

I think one of the wrath tome skill makes the character shout “feel my wrath” so they will just recycle that.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Loxsus.3841

Loxsus.3841

Love both ideas. Sign me up.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

YuiRS.8129

For Guardian, these looks like they could be fun and interesting.

However, if you’re going to let Guardian apply Quickness to the party, then I hope you are upping Mesmers’ ability to do reliable damage in PvE. Otherwise you could possibly be edging Mesmers completely out of the speedrun meta. Guardians already do more damage more reliably and have higher uptime on their reflects … not to mention heavy armor and no worries about AOE/cleave killing their phantasms (back to the reliable aspect of damage).

Time Warp will be providing much longer Quickness for one.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

BobbyT.7192

I don’t have the heal/boon duration numbers in my head but the current test cooldowns are 180 on signet of course and 30 on “feel my wrath.”

Jon

180? Oof! Would the cast time be reduced then?

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: ProtoMarcus.7649

ProtoMarcus.7649

Tome of Courage – Make it a CONSECRATION
Traited with Master of Consecrations, the tome duration is increased and both Tome CD and Skills CD are lowered
Change the duration from 20s to 25s, so traited it becomes 30s, and take into account that in that 30s the skills themselves have lower CD, so you can use them more often

Tome of Wrath – Make it a SPIRIT-WEAPON
Traited with Expeditious Spirit, the 1-5 skills will inflict 1 stack of burning (so Conflagrate will grant 2 stacks of burn since its initial affect is 1 burn) and the skills will have 20% lower cooldown.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Rexx.1805

Rexx.1805

Those look like GREAT changes Jon.

Bring it on!!!

Proud Member Of:

Guild – Heróis Lusitanos [LS] Server – SFR

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Only courage is a signet, wrath is a shout

Same difference really, in both cases the current clumsy tomes will become something that work with traits while the possibility of having a tome specialization that can have proper synergy and be re-designed more freely if necessary rather than shoehorning them as is into some existing category.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: JKeyper.7658

JKeyper.7658

These sound fantastic! Obviously balanced with CD’s, range, etc.

The idea of saving the Tomes for an elite specialization could open the doors for some neat utility options that replace your weapon skills, akin to Engi kits. Tome of Courage could be the healing skill (balanced, ofc). Then you have your Tome of Necronomicon (!) which gives more condition damage options, for example. It could give the Guardian more of a mid range, spell-caster feel, which is different than core or even dragonhunter specs.

PS “Cleric” would be a perfect name for Tome spec if it weren’t already a stat combo.
PPS Has Shelter been given a skill type yet? Consecration feel most applicable at this point, except for that whole ground-targeting thing.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

I think I got you figured out, Mr. Jon Peters.

Tomes don’t fit any guardian skill type right now. But they’re an awful lot like kits, in that they’re pseudo-weapons that use your utility skill slots. I think what’s going in your head right now is you’re planning this change not just to make room for guardian elites with skill types that make sense, but so that the next guardian specialization is a kit guardian, which would fit tomes like a glove.

If that really is your plan, and you guys don’t wait years before the next elite specs are released, then I take back what I said on twitch and think you should go ahead with your plan.

Did I get it right?

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

Time Warp will be providing much longer Quickness for one.

Is that a fact? I saw no duration mentioned.

Time Warp only allows your group 10s of Quickness, they have to stay in it to get the full 10s, and it provides nothing else (no Fury). It also has a long cooldown.

This needs to be taken into account. Given that it is a large part of why Mesmers are still in the PvE speedrun meta, if care isn’t taken with this, it will likely get Mesmers edged out of the one place they are sometimes considered “meta”.

NOTE: maybe the meta will change when the specialization changes are all in … still need to take care.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: SeriusBlack.1963

SeriusBlack.1963

I can already hear my norn guardian screaming " FEEL MY WRATH" after a comrade of mine falls to the mordrem. Yes please do it, and make sure the Voice over for it is really kitten

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: ProtoMarcus.7649

ProtoMarcus.7649

If they’re changed though, I absolutely love the new elites.
Would the new Light of Deliverance still be targetted?

The suggested elite categories have excellent synergy with traits and runes too

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Spartacus.9743

Spartacus.9743

Tome Rework Suggestion

Why don’t you change just the way tome works…
1 – They can be setted like engi kits, with obvious rework on skills effects, skills cd and recharge time of the skill itself…
2 – If the no cd kits idea could sound bad, they can be reworked as Elite conjured weapons…
Low cd (like 60 to 90 sec), with another tome placed on the ground usable by other allies..
3 – They can be works like banners, with power/heal/blocks/condi effects, that you can place on the ground and grant benefits to allies in their radius (or also with malus to opponents)

I think the first thing that makes tomes fits in the less used elite is the too long cooldown for small benefits, and working on cd and balancing some skills to be more/less effective can save and make useful this beautiful (but unfortunately useless) elite skills

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Tarsius.3170

Jon: it will be cool if you can also look at the balance of the other signets, because it’s just not worth slotting any of them in most cases ( except bane for roaming ) – more so because they can no longer be traited to cure conditions

(edited by Tarsius.3170)

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: MelGT.8326

MelGT.8326

Got to agree, the Tomes were a neat idea, but I can count on one hand the amount of times I’ve used the offensive tome (for the couple of time I’ve done Tequatl on my guardian). I’ve never even equipped the defensive one. These look great so far, still keeping the spirit of the tomes, but without the “clunkiness”.