Virtue of Justice is getting gutted

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

You don’t have any supporters yourself.

In the end, you can’t support your stand, your only MO is eating Anet’s kitten.

I didn’t claim I did; I just know that your complaint doesn’t make much sense and I’m asking you to justify why you think this is some disastrous change that will prevent people that care about their style more than their performance from playing condi builds outside of Firebrand. Answer to that should be simple if you have a logical reason for your complaint.

The builds you think style players won’t use, even if they don’t care much about performance will still be very much playable by them with this change and with Firebrand. Saying otherwise is just ignoring how the game and it’s players interact with each other.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

You brought this style vs performance distinction up yourself. It was never about that. If you can’t understand there’s space for something other than the top dps condi build, you will never understand my argument no matter how many times it was explained to you. Unless you choose to ignore it, of course.

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

That’s right … because you decided that your argument had nothing to do with optimized play … only style players don’t care about using optimized builds.

I understand there is space for non-top DPS builds .. I also understand that the people that play these builds aren’t about playing optimized builds; they are about style. You’re argument that VOJ is getting a PERFORMANCE nerf and somehow, style players will care about that, makes no sense.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

RabbitUp.8294

See, you think optimisation is about the one top dps build. You can’t understand there are situations and game modes that require more things than pure damage, and builds that optimise their dps for those scenarios.

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

I do understand that. I also understand that this change is ONLY a performance DPS impact, so the only argument that makes sense against this change is from the POV of damage and nothing else.

I mean, if you think there is a plethora situations where this VOJ changes how you build and play from a NON-DPS perspective, I’m all ears … but you haven’t listed any to talk about.

in Guardian

RabbitUp.8294

Nope, still not there yet. I am still talking about dps, just because a build is hybrid and can’t do as much dps as a pure build, it doesn’t mean you don’t care about optimising that dps.

As for examples, I did provide them, you just ignored them. Condi druid was an example from a different class. For guardian, wvw zerg guardian can play condi using range weapons and/or staff. In case you forgot, guardian is designed around VoJ and thus has no condi weapons. But staff auto hitting 3 with VoJ + Permeating Wrath does burning with every attack. Builds like that are nerfed, and firebrand doesn’t help, since it’s entirely melee focused with no added survivability, which is a suicide combo for wvw.

And it’s not only about existing builds, it affects all future builds for guardian. Again, guardian is a class with no condi weapons, VoJ is vital.

You also completely ignore what I said that this is also a nerf to power DH, when that build is already overshadowed by every class in the game except Mesmer. And that’s on top of the change to Toxic Sharpening Stone, again, another nerf.

(edited by RabbitUp.8294)

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

The condi druid thing is irrelevant to this discussion. We are talking about Guardians.

Yes, builds like the staff WvW that are nerfed … I don’t see the problem with that because as I’ve said, that logic dictates that Anet should never change the game ever because game changes affect builds. Besides, if that’s still an optimal WvW build, people will still use it, even nerfed, so you are wrong that these builds will not be played anymore. If it never was an optimal WvW build and people play it now, those same people will still play it regardless of the change. I’ve already explained this.

I’m not ignoring your arguments; they simply don’t make sense to me. I can’t see any logic behind saying the game shouldn’t change because of negative impacts to specific builds or effects. It happens all the time; it’s not exceptional. It’s normal. It in fact, needs to happen. You probably can’t see that.

VOJ will no longer be vital if your argument is that Guardian doesn’t have condi weapons. We are getting one. It will allow Anet to support condition build on Guardian much better than they can now. That STILL doesn’t prevent people from using the non-Firebrand condi builds that you claim they won’t be able to use.

And you might be loathe to admit it, but there are reasons for these. if you are objective enough, you might think of some. Just because you might not like those reasons doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

Because it’s not about building the optimal condi build. It’s about being able to play a condi build at all. Not everything is optimised dps, there are hybrid builds, too, that might emerge with our existing and future elite specs. A nerf to VoJ closes the door to everything but firebrand.

People that want to play suboptimal builds are not excluded from playing them because of changes to the game, so no, they are still able to play those builds you say they can’t play at all. Don’t be sensational.

If it’s not about playing the optimal condi build as you say, then how does a 1/2 second reduction in passive VOJ prevent you from playing non-optimal condi or hybrid builds? That makes no sense. Why would even care if your damage is decreased if you are already choosing to play builds that aren’t optimized for whatever kind of damage you want to apply?

I’m really wondering why you’re championing further removal of build variety.
In fact applauding it.

Just easier to l2p from metabattle?

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

I’m really glad we’re all getting to participate in a really heated discussion here.
Just pages and pages throughout the forums
So quick to judge
No need to be so defensive
I mean, fighting for honor and justice is admirable
But don’t let your burning passions smolder too long
Or there might need to be an intervention

Fishsticks

in Guardian

Posted by: Syktek.7912

Syktek.7912

I’m really glad we’re all getting to participate in a really heated discussion here.
Just pages and pages throughout the forums
So quick to judge
No need to be so defensive
I mean, fighting for honor and justice is admirable
But don’t let your burning passions smolder too long
Or there might need to be an intervention

I’m personally stoked for Firebrand.

Vesper Dawnshield | Guardian

in Guardian

RabbitUp.8294

The condi druid thing is irrelevant to this discussion. We are talking about Guardians.

Yes, builds like the staff WvW that are nerfed … I don’t see the problem with that because as I’ve said, that logic dictates that Anet should never change the game ever because game changes affect builds. Besides, if that’s still an optimal WvW build, people will still use it, even nerfed, so you are wrong that these builds will not be played anymore. If it never was an optimal WvW build and people play it now, those same people will still play it regardless of the change. I’ve already explained this.

I’m not ignoring your arguments; they simply don’t make sense to me. I can’t see any logic behind saying the game shouldn’t change because of negative impacts to specific builds or effects. It happens all the time; it’s not exceptional. It’s normal. It in fact, needs to happen. You probably can’t see that.

And you just go back to copypaste mode. It’s pointless for me to continue, optimal becomes an empty buzzword in your mouth.

VOJ will no longer be vital if your argument is that Guardian doesn’t have condi weapons. We are getting one. It will allow Anet to support condition build on Guardian much better than they can now. That STILL doesn’t prevent people from using the non-Firebrand condi builds that you claim they won’t be able to use.

And you might be loathe to admit it, but there are reasons for these. if you are objective enough, you might think of some. Just because you might not like those reasons doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

Yes, there’s a reason, to sell the expansion.

(edited by RabbitUp.8294)

in Guardian

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Just give up ppl will defend this new elite specialization untill that beta test in 2 weeks, then you will see rage and tears on this subforum. Remember my words.

Dude, you must be psychic or something…

You can literally say that about any change.

in Guardian

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

The problem with optimized builds is that they are extremely content specific.
For PvE, a damage optimized build only makes real sense for raids and maybe fractals (since many people could favor smoothness over potential speed), and even if those are by far the most balance sensitive PvE content pieces, I can easily understand people not wanting to play crappy characters while exploring and the like (where raid optimized builds, while viable, might not feel like the best approach).
That being said, I can hardly see why anyone (except maybe a few crazy WvW roamers) should be seriously worried about a core PvE VoJ passive nerf. Building around that seems weird in pretty mych any scenario.

in Guardian

LetoII.3782

That being said, I can hardly see why anyone (except maybe a few crazy WvW roamers) should be seriously worried about a core PvE VoJ passive nerf. Building around that seems weird in pretty mych any scenario.

Permeating wrath is a great skill, especially for fighting tightly packed zergs in WvW.
Maybe you’ve been content with the passive stabo-bot build. Maybe you like standing in arrow cart hate proccing blocks. But your class can do more than zerg.

It’d be interesting to see how many of this subforum’s participants can be seen complaining about how OP thief is in other places, when you’re playing a class that can destroy them effortlessly.

Tl;Dr Choices are good. Maybe they’ll come for yours next, watch the complacency.

in Guardian

Vargamonth.2047

Permeating wrath is a great skill, especially for fighting tightly packed zergs in WvW.
Maybe you’ve been content with the passive stabo-bot build. Maybe you like standing in arrow cart hate proccing blocks. But your class can do more than zerg.

It’d be interesting to see how many of this subforum’s participants can be seen complaining about how OP thief is in other places, when you’re playing a class that can destroy them effortlessly.

Tl;Dr Choices are good. Maybe they’ll come for yours next, watch the complacency.

I already pointed out that non zerging WvW builds could be the most concerned ones (even if I still think power DH is a far superior chocie for roaming) …

in Guardian

LetoII.3782

Meditrapper using indomitable courage over permeating wrath IS the better roaming build. That’s my point, this is an unsubstantiated nerf to a build choice that was already weaker
If we’re just going to have one right set of trait choices, why bother offering 3?
Are we content with the illusion of choice?

in Guardian

Vargamonth.2047

Meditrapper using indomitable courage over permeating wrath IS the better roaming build. That’s my point, this is an unsubstantiated nerf to a build choice that was already weaker
If we’re just going to have one right set of trait choices, why bother offering 3?
Are we content with the illusion of choice?

I’m up for more choices and diversity, and I don’t think VoJ passive requires any nerf on the core class. Just trying to point out that this specific nerf, if happens, shouldn’t cause that much drama because condi, even if it’s ironically built in in the class, has never felt a good choice on guardian.

The first look at the class gives the impression of being built for hybrid damage, with no condition mainhand weapons but plenty of burning sources here and there. This goes down the toilet, however, the moment direct and condition damage get split on different stats, even worse if we look at guardian survival and how much trait dependant it is.
As I said, I’m always up for more choices, but in guardian’s case this requires a much more deeper rework than tweaking VoJ numbers, and it has been quite a while since I lost all faith on ANet commiting to it.
At this point, I would almost prefer to see every single burning related thing going away, so we could use that space (A LOT of space) to offer truly meaningful choices.

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

^^ That makes lots of sense. I mean, all this complaining for what was a ‘style’-based spec in the first place; condi build never came easy on Guardian, not like it’s power equivalent.

Diversity, choice … all nice to have. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work easily or at all in GW2. We’ve got 5 years of experience to see that. If people are still yammering on about a lack of diversity, they haven’t been paying attention.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

LetoII.3782

Well there IS a good hybrid build, but it isn’t affected by this change.
Used to be a streamer named gotboons who’d exclusively run cele with dual single handers and radiance.
I still use that build but with carrion, and I believe some pvpr’s do as well.

How’d we get to talking about hybrids anyways? xD

Edit: Ah right, problem with using an Android to forum.
Hybrid IS ABSOLUTELY part of the guardian design, right from day one.
WvW has consistently ignored this in favor of guard being a stabo-bot arrow catcher, but there’s always been guilds and individuals using the lesser known qualities as well.

What’s popular isn’t always all there is. Echo chambers like Reddit forget this.
People listening to their guild leader who saw Red Guard do well in a comp and aped it forget this as well.

(edited by LetoII.3782)

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

Because it’s not about building the optimal condi build. It’s about being able to play a condi build at all. Not everything is optimised dps, there are hybrid builds, too, that might emerge with our existing and future elite specs. A nerf to VoJ closes the door to everything but firebrand.

People that want to play suboptimal builds are not excluded from playing them because of changes to the game, so no, they are still able to play those builds you say they can’t play at all. Don’t be sensational.

If it’s not about playing the optimal condi build as you say, then how does a 1/2 second reduction in passive VOJ prevent you from playing non-optimal condi or hybrid builds? That makes no sense. Why would even care if your damage is decreased if you are already choosing to play builds that aren’t optimized for whatever kind of damage you want to apply?

I’m really wondering why you’re championing further removal of build variety.
In fact applauding it.

Just easier to l2p from metabattle?

There are lots of non-optimal builds you can play and nothing stops you, not even this change. I champion changes that make sense. There isn’t any reason to cry when it affects a build; that’s just normal.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

LetoII.3782

By all means, expostulate on why this nerf “makes sense”

Is Karl’s lack of creativity a good excuse for nerfing less popular build choices?

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

By all means, expostulate on why this nerf “makes sense”

Is Karl’s lack of creativity a good excuse for nerfing less popular build choices?

Is your lack of restraint a good excuse for ignoring that there are reasons? Are you implying that Anet sat around a table and said “Oh this is a really bad idea with no reason to make this change … LET’S DO IT!!” ><

People have already given reasons why they think this is happening in this thread. Go back and have a look. Honestly, it’s not even relevant if those reasons are correct or not. If you think there is NO logical reason behind this change, then you aren’t being objective enough here.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

LetoII.3782

I think the reason is laziness, which by no definition is good.
Merely convenient, which insults all the people at Anet who ARE passionate about their work.

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

That might be a sensible reason if every other class in this game was at the pinnacle of balance and performance. They aren’t though; unfortunately, I see all other classes get the same sort of changes as we are seeing here. I guess by your reasoning, every dev is just lazy. Oh well.

in Guardian

RabbitUp.8294

Yes, because we all know anet only makes the best possible choices, after hours of brainstorming and follow that up with meticulous testing.

Like giving mesmer phantasms might, when they are unaffected by it. Or when condi tempest was hitting over 45k dps and had to be hotfixed.

That might be a sensible reason if every other class in this game was at the pinnacle of balance and performance. They aren’t though; unfortunately, I see all other classes get the same sort of changes as we are seeing here. I guess by your reasoning, every dev is just lazy. Oh well.

Funny, because I see them getting buffed.

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

Yes, because we all know anet only makes the best possible choices, after hours of brainstorming and follow that up with meticulous testing.

Like giving mesmer phantasms might, when they are unaffected by it. Or when condi tempest was hitting over 45k dps and had to be hotfixed.

If the VOJ change isn’t reasonable, the only thing you’ve demonstrated here is that Anet is willing to fix it. So really, you should take your own example and see there isn’t a reason to complain about it if you are correct.

just because those classes are buffed doesn’t change the fact that your friend’s logic is flawed. Classes get nerfs and buffs all the time, for much the same reason here without much insight to players; this isn’t some exceptional case. It’s ridiculous to simply isolate any single nerf and say we are a hard done by class because of a lazy dev. That’s nonsense.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

RabbitUp.8294

We are the class with the lowest DPS after Mesmer, and that’s after getting a purely DPS focused elite spec. We have no other pve build worth of note.

There are more than enough reasons to call guardian’s balance a kittenshow besides an unreasonable nerf.

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

Hey, if you’re right, by your own admission and provided examples, Anet will change it to something reasonable. What’s the problem here?

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

Hey, if you’re right, by your own admission and provided examples, Anet will change it to something reasonable. What’s the problem here?

That’s under the assumption that ANet are perfect beings incapable of making any real mistakes; which is probably somewhat how you view them. I think most people know that’s far from the truth though.

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

That’s under the assumption that ANet are perfect beings incapable of making any real mistakes; which is probably somewhat how you view them. I think most people know that’s far from the truth though.

I don’t take that view at all; I don’t care if Anet makes mistakes or not because the reality is that it’s not relevant. They have complete power to change the game, whether they make a mistake and fix it, or not fix it, or not make a mistake and screw it up … or take something awesome and make it even better.

If the answer to everything is that Anet are just screwups that do nothing but make mistakes, then there isn’t any logic in giving them any feedback in the first place. At that point it’s just random changes that make no sense … and if that bothers people, they need to re-evaluate the value this game gives them. I don’t believe that anyone posting here thinks Anet are that big a bunch of screwups at all even though they blatantly proclaim it because they know posting here wouldn’t matter if they were.

Besides … I’m not the one that demonstrated that Anet will come back and fix things that are wrong, the other dude did … for the exact reason you are saying here; because they make mistakes. So he says they fix things because they are wrong and you say they don’t … so where are we? My conclusion … it doesn’t matter. Anet will make the changes they want, regardless of what players think.

Now, if people started making thread that weren’t just rants, Anet also demonstrates they are open to that.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

While its true that virtue passives haven’t been changed by elite specs up until this point, that doesn’t mean they can’t / won’t ever be. The devs seem more willing to change a lot more with these new elite specs compared with the old ones. And the different virtues ARE different skills as far as the game engine is concerned, even if the passives have stayed constant with Dragonhunter, so it’d be very easy for them to change one and not the others. Mechanically, it’d be no issue at all to do so.

Dragonhunter’s virtue skills were 1-use skills, same as how core Guardian’s virtue actives are 1-use skills. Changing the passives probably wasn’t deemed particularly necessary since they filled similar functions.

Tomes are bundles, however. Multiple skills, multiple uses at a time. That could very well require some different balancing.

For Justice in particular, you’re getting a lot more condition burst from the Tome active than you ever did with Virtue or Spear of Justice and their active effects. With a higher potential for condition burst, they may need to tone down the sustained condition application of the passive to make up for it (especially since you can trait to keep the passive running). But they’d only have to tone that down on Tome of Justice, not the other specs.

That’s not to say its impossible that they could nerf the entire class, and if that does happen it’d be pretty bad (unless they buff the Virtues / Radiance lines to make up for it). But saying “virtue passives don’t change” based on one single other instance is jumping to conclusions.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

That literally makes no sense, as the premise that Anet would be changing Firebrand at all would mean they’ve already made a mistake and are willing to change it. Obtena has never said Anet can do no wrong, but you definitely seem to support the idea that Anet can do no right.

Fishsticks

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

That literally makes no sense, as the premise that Anet would be changing Firebrand at all would mean they’ve already made a mistake and are willing to change it. Obtena has never said Anet can do no wrong, but you definitely seem to support the idea that Anet can do no right.

What he does is use the argument that GW2 is ANet’s game so there’s no point in discussing it because they’re just gonna do whatever they want anyway. What he doesn’t understand is that most people don’t give a kitten , and that most people come to forums to give their viewpoint and to discuss or debate it regardless of what ANet thinks, even if it won’t necessarily cause a change in the game.

Complete rubbish really. I’ve defended ANet quite a bit and I’ve pretty much applauded their most recent patches which balanced underpowered skills and nerfed the overpowered elite specs even though most people were complaining that their precious elite specs weren’t becoming more overpowered. I even defended skills like Signet of Courage in the face of all of the obnoxious metaclowns on this forum, but when ANet doesn’t understand basic game design, don’t expect me to not to criticize them.

Also let’s be real, ANet aren’t changing Firebrand. The only thing they did to DH way back when everyone was complaining about it was give it a bunch of buffs when most of the time people were complaining about the design of DH and not necessarily its strength. If Firebrand is weak, they’ll buff it, but that won’t stop it from being a badly designed mess.

(edited by Fashion Mage.3712)

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

DH is still a bad design due its utilities… it will ever be..

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in Guardian

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

While this thread is 4 days old, and it’s obvious VoJ didn’t get gutted. This topic came up before when they buffed ‘Virtue of Justice’ and everyone who didn’t read clear enough lost their mind thinking they buffed DH’s Spear of Justice. Remember people Elite Specs have their own version of the profession mechanic skills.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

in Guardian

RabbitUp.8294

While this thread is 4 days old, and it’s obvious VoJ didn’t get gutted. This topic came up before when they buffed ‘Virtue of Justice’ and everyone who didn’t read clear enough lost their mind thinking they buffed DH’s Spear of Justice. Remember people Elite Specs have their own version of the profession mechanic skills.

Except that they did buff Spear of Justice. The passive applies 4s of burning, the tooltip is just wrong.

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

Except that they did buff Spear of Justice. The passive applies 4s of burning, the tooltip is just wrong.

This change is only for sPvP. They changed while ago. I tested to confirm, the 4 seconds is still only on sPvP.

Sorry for my english.

in Guardian

RabbitUp.8294

This change is only for sPvP. They changed while ago. I tested to confirm, the 4 seconds is still only on sPvP.

Yes, pvp only. VoJ was buffed, both the active and the passive, and the passive buff was applied to Spear, too.

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

What he does is use the argument that GW2 is ANet’s game so there’s no point in discussing it because they’re just gonna do whatever they want anyway. What he doesn’t understand is that most people don’t give a kitten , and that most people come to forums to give their viewpoint and to discuss or debate it regardless of what ANet thinks, even if it won’t necessarily cause a change in the game.

Complete rubbish really. I’ve defended ANet quite a bit and I’ve pretty much applauded their most recent patches which balanced underpowered skills and nerfed the overpowered elite specs even though most people were complaining that their precious elite specs weren’t becoming more overpowered. I even defended skills like Signet of Courage in the face of all of the obnoxious metaclowns on this forum, but when ANet doesn’t understand basic game design, don’t expect me to not to criticize them.

Also let’s be real, ANet aren’t changing Firebrand. The only thing they did to DH way back when everyone was complaining about it was give it a bunch of buffs when most of the time people were complaining about the design of DH and not necessarily its strength. If Firebrand is weak, they’ll buff it, but that won’t stop it from being a badly designed mess.

No, my argument is that if people are going to make nonsensical rants, then don’t bother. BTW, that’s not just my opinion either, it’s Anet’s policy. I happen to believe that if an argument has merit, it WILL get the proper attention. That’s why burying good threads with ones like this is bad. If you actually believe Anet should pay attention to us and read our concerns, then threads like this need to stop.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

Posted by: otto.5684

otto.5684

We will know in 4 days.

Omg Voj is getting nerfed!!! Omg Voj is getting nerfed!!! Omg Voj is getting nerfed!!! Will know in 4 days…

I really wish there is an intelligence filler for posting on the forums so we do not get threads like this one.

in Guardian

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

Just wanted to post this from the Elite specs demo…

http://imgur.com/s7j2mHw

As stated multiple times before, the short passive burn duration is unique to Firebrand. It is NOT applied to all versions of the virtue. And this is 100% expected since the active gives you greater access to burns than either of the previous two versions. Just proof positive that they are NOT gutting virtue of Justice.

Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.