Why so many Guardians?

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Tortoished.7986

Tortoished.7986

I’m playing a Guardian right now. While using a greatsword and staff, It has become my favorite profession in the game so far. Clearly, a lot of other players like the profession as much as I do.

It seems like everyone and their mother is playing Guardian. Every time I turn around, there’s another Guardian with a greatsword using the same skills and combos as the next. Each time I join a group or event, there are more Guardians than any other profession around. I just feel like Guardian #8196.

As much as I love it, I’m not unique, specialized, or needed amongst my peers because there are tons of other Guardians who are doing the exact same thing I am. It makes me feel like another clone in the clone army. Guardian is great overall, but it has become the most overplayed and generic profession in the game. So sadly, I won’t be playing my Guardian anymore because it is no longer an interesting or unique gaming experience for me.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: IV Endu.8920

IV Endu.8920

What makes you unique is your weapon/armor/trinket build, your choice of weapons, your traits, and your playstyle.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

According to the stats released by Anet (trying to find them) last month, the guardian isn’t the most played class (maybe different now).

The guardian is the joint 4th most played class (with the theif), the warror/ranger and elemental all have more players using them.

Attachments:

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

(edited by MajorMelchett.6042)

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Tortoished.7986

Playing a different build of the same profession doesn’t make me feel any more unique or interesting. Thanks for those statistics, but it doesn’t change the fact that I still see more Guardians than any other class overall.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Kasei.8726

Kasei.8726

So you would rather play a profession that you enjoy less, so you can feel unique? There’s always going to be another player around you with the same profession. So it’s up to you make your character unique.

I would like to see a stat of the most popular weapon in the game. I see greatswords everywhere.

edit:

Playing a different build of the same profession doesn’t make me feel any more unique or interesting. Thanks for those statistics, but it doesn’t change the fact that I still see more Guardians than any other class overall.

And that is completely anecdotal evidence, you’re probably going to feel the same way with every profession.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: solektrall.4028

solektrall.4028

this can be answered by one word. your question, why is there so many guardians? answer is, NUMBERS. people play this and any other mmo to see numbers, you get gear to see higher numbers. since playing other classes and switching to the guardian ive seen more numbers pewpew. and thats that. NUMBERS

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Tortoished.7986

Nevermind…just forget it. Thanks for reminding me why I don’t frequent gamer forums. Every reply is an attempt to prove me wrong. My experience must be unique to me. Feel free to delete this thread, I’m over the negativity.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

It’s the same thing that happens when you get a new shiny car.

Suddenly, EVERYONE is driving that new car.

People tend to notice more of something the moment they also have it.

That is why refusing to play something that does not appear “uncommon” or “unique” anymore is a horrible reason to not play it. You’ll simply never be happy and you are simply punishing yourself while everyone else is having fun.

(edited by Celestina.2894)

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

Suddenly, EVERYONE is driving that new car.

People tend to notice more of something the moment they also have it.

That is why refusing to play something that does not appear “uncommon” or “unique” anymore is a horrible reason to not play it. You’ll simply never be happy and you are simply punishing yourself while everyone else is having fun.

This was worded pretty well. I’m not sure why he’s so angry.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

This is a bit funny actually because the OP asked a question, got a couple answers, didn’t like them, then throws up his/her hands and says, “this is why I don’t post of the forums….”.

Seriously? Guardians are not the most played class according to the latest stats by Arena Net. Why you are seeing them? I can’t answer. Why you don’t feel unique? Again, I can’t answer but will offer you a bit of my personal perception which is this.

Guardians have this aura of being the big thing in shiney armor. With armor comes the possibility of lasting longer in battles and getting up front, close, and personal with the enemy. We can use a vast array of weapons and once skills become unlocked there is a lot of fun swapping around between the various things. What you do with said skills, traits, and other things is up to you. YOU make your avatar and only you. Furthermore, this MMO type game allows you to customize said avatar like no other (outside of SwTOR) in that lvl 80 exotic gear is pretty much the same across the board yet only looks different in the skins and textures.

Meaning, you choose your skills and traits, then armor, then weapons, then you can cap it all off by transmuting it to your fravorite skins which makes you what? Unique. Oh…factor in Dye and it is just that much more customizable.

Let me give you an example since I play a guardian. I’m level 80. I use the exotic knight’s draconic set. I see guardians in it. However, I don’t see guardians swapping between a staff or hammer when I play. In fact, I was defending a keep earlier out in WvWvW and begged all guardians around me to swap to staffs and help defend the door Nothing but crickets and I know at least 3 others are in our zerg yet none of them could help because they all had greatswords…

Are there many? Subjective. Are we unique? It is what you make them out to be. The tools are there by the developers.

Now it is up to you.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

Sorry you can’t be a special snowflake anymore. However, most people are enjoying the Guardian for the same reasons you want to be a Guardian. If that takes away from your experience, you probably will have better luck with some of the other classes.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Tortoished.7986

So many idiotic replies. I have played 5/8 professions and never had this problem before. Most of them were unique and interesting because I wasn’t constantly surrounded by the same profession, while Guardian simply does not because I see them everywhere. This is based off my personal experience, not statistics or how you believe I should play the game. Obviously, most of you are just looking for something to argue about. I’m sorry that your beloved class seems overplayed and generic to me, based off what I have experienced, but that’s just how it is. I even said nevermind and you still feel compelled to write an essay about how wrong I must be. Get over it, I’ve already chosen my new class and this thread is old news.

(edited by Tortoished.7986)

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I don’t get this thread … anything you do in an MMO IS unique to you, unless your letting someone else play your account. No one is going to take the same path of play or even play your guardian the way you do it.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Tortoished.7986

I don’t get this thread … anything you do in an MMO IS unique to you, unless your letting someone else play your account. No one is going to take the same path of play or even play your guardian the way you do it.

You don’t get it because you fail to realize I’m talking about the overwhelming population of a single profession, not how it is played.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

MajorMelchett.6042

But there is no overwhelming population of this single proffesion and Anets own official statistics show this – sure you may notice more of us but that doesn’t mean there is actully more of us.

You also say “so many idiotic replies” and we are looking for “something to argue about”, yet i can’t see any idiotic replies and your the only person being insulting and argumentative.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Roctod.7290

Roctod.7290

But…this class doesn’t have an overwhelming population according to actual, empirical data. Maybe your server has an over-abundance of them or something, but there’s no need to get fussy and defensive when people say “Well…you probably just notice them cuz of confirmation bias, we’re actually a low-population profession.”

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

MajorMelchett.6042

I did read your post, did you read mine? – because you simply deleted the parts where i stated that based on your experience you may have noticed more.

This part “sure you may notice more of us but that doesn’t mean there is actully more of us”.

It’s quite clear that you are intentionally trolling for an argument now, so i’ll leave it at that.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Tortoished.7986

I did read your post, did you read mine? – because you simply deleted the parts where i stated that based on your experience you may have noticed more.

This part “sure you may notice more of us but that doesn’t mean there is actully more of us” that part.

It’s quite clear that you are intentionally trolling for an argument now, so i’ll leave it at that.

Lol…“I don’t agree with you so you must be trolling.” Ok guy, whatever you say.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

MajorMelchett.6042

Lol…“I don’t agree with you so you must be trolling.” Ok guy, whatever you say.

That makes no sence, you asked had i read your post as it was based on what you had seen, i stated that sure you may have noticed more (based on what you have seen) but that Anet stats show it’s not the actual case.

So i actully agreed with you (that it was based on what you had seen), but you deleted that part of my post and then insulted me for some reason.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

MajorMelchett.6042

How does it not matter?, your saying based on your experience the guardian is the most played class, but according to Anet it’s not the case.

All i was saying was, sure you may notice more, but it’s not actully true.
—-
Anyways, enjoy whatever class you have moved to, i’d suggest mesmer as they are the least played class.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Kasei.8726

Kasei.8726

How does it not matter?, your saying based on your experience the guardian is the most played class, but according to Anet it’s not the case.

All i was saying was, sure you may notice more, but it’s not actully true.
—-
Anyways, enjoy whatever class you have moved to, i’d suggest mesmer as they are the least played class.

Unless you PvP, then they’re everywhere. ;P

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

MajorMelchett.6042

Unless you PvP, then they’re everywhere. ;P

True, hmm – then engineers (i don’t see them much).

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Tortoished said:
“I said early on that my experience differs from Anets statistics”

Tortoished. You are probably a swell gal or guy. If of proper age maybe we would even slam back a few adult beverages together talking about various things. However, Arena Net has provided “factual” data that says otherwise. Guardians are not the most played class. Yell at the top of your lungs, stomp, scream, kick, or whatever else you may do; it isn’t going to change the data.

Now as to why you are all of a sudden surrounded what may appear to be so many Guardians, no idea. Just know that the actual data says otherwise so maybe you are a Guardian magnet, eh?

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Leold.7201

Leold.7201

I’ve personally been noticing a lot of guardians in PvE too, with many using a greatsword as well. I don’t feel like a carbon copy though, I use a mace+shield/sword+focus build mainly which plays quite differently, maybe not as fast in damage but great with support and survivability along with pretty good damage.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: ravsrayl.8069

ravsrayl.8069

So many idiotic replies. I have played 5/8 professions and never had this problem before. Most of them were unique and interesting because I wasn’t constantly surrounded by the same profession, while Guardian simply does not because I see them everywhere. This is based off my personal experience, not statistics or how you believe I should play the game. Obviously, most of you are just looking for something to argue about. I’m sorry that your beloved class seems overplayed and generic to me, based off what I have experienced, but that’s just how it is. I even said nevermind and you still feel compelled to write an essay about how wrong I must be. Get over it, I’ve already chosen my new class and this thread is old news.

i dont get what ur asking then. if its based on personal experience instead of statistics, then ur just unlucky to see all those guardians. lmao

(edited by ravsrayl.8069)

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

his is based off my personal experience.

And that is why you feel the way you do, again refer to what I posted.

Try not to get so upset by the way, right now you are just throwing a temper tantrum and in fact you do seem to be looking for an argument by coming back.

(edited by Celestina.2894)

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Polle.6908

Polle.6908

My post got deleted but I’ll make my point clear.

Why make a thread if you’re just going to cover your eyes the moment someone disagrees?

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

maybe it’s just on your server?
i main a Guardian, have been doing so since 3dayheadstart. sure i see a handful of Guardians, but not as much as i see other professions on my server. maybe leave the area if there was a sudden influx of Guardians?

to be honest, this is just me, but i love having extra Guardians around. sometimes, they may have utilities or skills or boosts that i’d like to have, but have chosen other skills. so it’s just a plus for me having extra Guardians aroundDD

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

You’re angry because every Guardian is using GS and is using the same skill as you?
Ever thought that it might be the “best” build on the current location? Why would others use Hammer/Sword/Scepter/Mace/Shield/Focus if they enjoy GS as well?

If you would like to be unique, you must be the one to change, not others change for you. It’s not their fault for liking to play Guardian and choosing weapons that you use.

Innovate on a new build that suits your play style without using GS/Staff.

I really don’t get the post.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Phoenix the One.4071

Phoenix the One.4071

Tortois please be mature in your answer.
Forums consist of many ppl with different opinions.. Bear that in mind when you post.
I actually don’t see so many guardians, but a lot of thief (statistic 4th placeholder). But well I guess it depends on the zone and how you play.

Also asnstated several times it is a MMO and this is an important factor. You cannot decide what other chose to play. If you want to be truely unique, get legendaries (not even a guarente) or play Singleplayer Fantasy rpg:)

Or else try engineers they are the least played profession, though I see a lot of em^^
else your post is so subjective and you refuse to see on numbers, so really hard to get positive response since you mostly would accept opinions like your own:)

Just my five cents.. Keep em if ya want, they are free.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Natas.1306

Natas.1306

I think OP need his own unique class that only him can play.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

Nevermind…just forget it. Thanks for reminding me why I don’t frequent gamer forums. Every reply is an attempt to prove me wrong. My experience must be unique to me. Feel free to delete this thread, I’m over the negativity.

2 million people / 8 classes. How are you supposed to feel unique?

You do by the weapons you use and the look you have. I saw a guardian in bright pink armour today and I remembered seeing him around the WvW zones. Hard to forget.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Sentinel VX.1392

Sentinel VX.1392

umm no, there are more warrior than guardian actually.

Sea of Sorrow since BWE.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Swarfega.6097

Swarfega.6097

I also noticed there’s an increase.

I can see why though. My main warrior is no longer my main, my guardian is. Love the class.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

i can see some guardians in wvw but i cannot say more then 10% ,
on pve guardians are stil on low number , except dungeons

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: NatashaK.9418

NatashaK.9418

Because half the people use see wearing heavy armor and swinging great swords are secretly warriors.

If you see a lot of mesmers in a group, those actually are a clone army.

I dont know whether the statistics are by characters created or hours played. (And even then, I wouldn’t could time in the mist because that’s almost like a different character). Guardians (and rangers) are pretty forgiving for PvE leveling and I’d suspect you’d see more of those classes actually wandering around playing.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Jack Angelfoot.2697

Jack Angelfoot.2697

Mates!
Face it all. No matter what we do, about 1 in every 8 will share the same profession with us, no matter the profession we choose.
Uniqueness in GW2 only comes in cosmetic, play-style, and decisions. Sometimes builds are overused. Sometimes skills are overused. But there are only 8 classes. They cannot be overused.

I do understand, however, feeling a bit superfluous. Eight guardians are already here doing the same thing as me.

There are three counters to that feeling

1. Do what you do better then the other 8. It will not just make you unique, it will make you feel satisfied, too.
  2. Do something different with your build and skills than the others. It will make you more valuable to the group.
  3. Rotate your characters. You have a bunch of characters. Rotate playtime. It will keep them from getting stale.
- Jack Angelfoot -

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Punny.9210

Punny.9210

it’s just True. . .

Guardian and Warrior are most playing class i see in WvW.

Blackgate

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Vaught Redford.3940

Vaught Redford.3940

I like what you said, Jack. However, I’m cautious about number 2. While I can be diverse and go Sword/Torch with Rage runes, won’t people prefer the Guardian that’s got a GS that’s ripping kittens everywhere? Same for staff, wouldn’t they prefer that one Guardian giving buffs that last a lifetime? I personally like zipping around with Flashing Blade and Judge’s Intervention, but I don’t know if it’s really all that useful. I sorta feel shoehorned into the whole GS/Staff archetype for PvE. How do we really know who is the better Guardian? I can say I’m the best but I really couldn’t tell you how aside from how I use my skills (Hint: Poorly).

Good thing I have my Ele and Engie that are just tons of fun :v

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: gibby.9328

gibby.9328

i want to vote this thread as probably the best and funniest post in the forums.

“i want to play a unique character and that’s why i will play an MMO…. hmmm, a guardian eh? i’m sure noone else’s screen is showing this unique and special profession that is ONLY appearing on MY screen! people will be so jealous when they see me running by with my ‘one of a kind’ greatsword!. oh man this is gonna be so great!!”

… days later

“what’s going on here?! i see other guardians! i … i thought i was the only one in this MMO playing this specific profession. bummer! "

LOL! WHAT are you thinking?!.. and then you come to the forums to complain about it!

classic.

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Vazir.5867

Vazir.5867

Probably 100B-warriors and HS/Backstab-thieves that failed to faceroll guardians in wvw that have rerolled to guardians

Gunnar’s Hold · Draugur [Drgr] Brimhorn and yes I have a pink quaggan backpack

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Osicat.4139

Osicat.4139

Why so many Guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: John.4659

John.4659

Hey! Why are you playing the same Profession as me!!
kitten it, I am the only snow flake that can play a Guardian with a great sword, why for you copy me!!!