no trait diversity for guardians

in Guardian

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

Isn’t the meditation build popular in PvP? They use the heal on meditation trait instead of AH (The ones I’ve seen anyway)

Oceanic [LOD]

in Guardian

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

the Altruistic healing trait, i don´t know if this was intended but this is by far the best trait guardians have.

Nope.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

in Guardian

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Put Altruistic Healing in the Virtues Tree and you will see a lot more build variety.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Guardian

Posted by: Somoe.3621

Somoe.3621

AH:
- 0/0/30/30/10 (PoV too)

- 0/10/30/10/20

- 10/0/30/25/5

- 0/15/30/10/15

PoV:

- 0/0/10/30/30

- 0/0/20/30/20

- 10/0/10/30/20

- 0/10/10/30/20

- 0/5/5/30/30

Farming:

- 25/0/0/30/15

If you only use the cookie cutter AH build (0/0/30/30/10) you’re not playing Guardian correctly.

idk who you think you are to say how a class can be played correctly, many people use what you call cookie cutter and not for that reason they play it incorrectly pls make statements as what you like or dislike, agree or disagree, but saying something is correct or incorrect makes you look foolish because there are people here who know more about guardians than you will ever do and yet they don´t go out there telling other what is the “correct” way of playing them.

Looks like I hit a nerve, lol.

It’s not up for discussion, if you only play one build and nothing else you’re doing it wrong.

lol common sense is beating you here, as stated you are not good enough to decide how to play something “right”, anyways it seems like you got some issues with cookie cutter builds, maybe they beat you up in the past and now you hate them or something?

As i said you are noone so it is just your opinion on saying people who play that way is wrong but thinking that way is actually wrong.

It’s pretty hilarious how you know nothing of my experience and yet you assume I’m bad, inexperienced, and beaten by cookie cutter builds.

You have no argument.

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

i don’t think our standard cookie cutter builds re bad by any means. they ARE in fact a standard for a reason, are they not? if it works for someone and they enjoy it, by all means go for it. at the same time, i would urge people to try out different builds though – cause it’s fun, keeps things fresh. but if you don’t want to, that’s fine as well. : ))

Altruistic Healing is a great trait. is it a best trait? yes and no. i don’t think you can find ONE trait that trumps all others in any given class, tbh. each and every person has a different goal in the game, a different play style, so everyone’s mileage is going to vary, to each their own. strictly speaking, “best traits” will depend on what weapons you’re carrying and what build you’re playing according to what you plan to do with that build. which will always be changing.. at least for me.

now are we able to pick the all-time WORST traits that a Guardian has? now we might be on to something. ; ))))

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Put Altruistic Healing in the Virtues Tree and you will see a lot more build variety.

Better, re-introduce free allocation of traits. Then you will see max amount of builds variety.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Guardian

Posted by: Silver.8023

Silver.8023

Isn’t it funny how people write AH off as selfish but won’t write off any other trait that only affects themselves?

It rewards you for helping others with boons, you get healed for your ‘altruism’, hardly selfish. If it healed allies for every boon it would just get nerfed.

Silver Stormshield – Guardian
Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

in Guardian

Posted by: Somoe.3621

Somoe.3621

Isn’t it funny how people write AH off as selfish but won’t write off any other trait that only affects themselves?

It rewards you for helping others with boons, you get healed for your ‘altruism’, hardly selfish. If it healed allies for every boon it would just get nerfed.

It’s absolutely a selfish trait.

1. It’s not like Two-Handed Mastery or Honorable Shield, which seem to only benefit the Guardian but actually improve their ability to help allies.

2. It’s a Grandmaster trait so you’re spending a lot of points to only help yourself. Many other “selfish” traits in Valor/Honor/Virtues don’t require a large investment; Valorous Defense (5), Purity (10), Retributive Armor (10), Vigorous Precision (5), etc.

3. Compare Altruistic Healing to Pure of Voice and then try to say “it’s not selfish” with a straight face.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s fine that Altruistic Healing is a selfish trait because it’s in Valor, our self-survivability tree. It can still be a completely valid reason to “write the trait off” though because it doesn’t improve your ability to help allies, which is what we specialize in.

Better, re-introduce free allocation of traits. Then you will see max amount of builds variety.

Retraining your traits costs a bit over 3 silver at level 80.

Do you really think that is prohibitive to build variety, or did I just misunderstand you?

(edited by Somoe.3621)

in Guardian

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Good Idea!

Also allow us to customize the 5/15/25!

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Guardian

Posted by: dodgycookies.4562

dodgycookies.4562

30 30 10 is so standard because of its flexible utility switching, you get access to improved mediations, shouts and consecrations (our best utilities) without having to port somewhere and retrait, just flip around a few major traits and utility skills.

Damage is good, and survivability is high and self healing is decent. Not the best at any specific thing, but very easy to succeed with in a variety of situations.

[ICoa] Blackgate

in Guardian

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

One thing I hate about AH is that I got into a nasty habit of spamming shouts when I get low instead of saving them when the team actually needs them. Since I switched into a dps build that habit slowly went away.

Oceanic [LOD]

in Guardian

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

If you think that you have too few options as trait build as guardian (pve talking) i have one simple suggestion for you.

Don’t use AH.

Actually, don’t put any points in Valor (because if you’re not using AH, there’s very little might interest you here).

Suddendly, by unlockying those 30 pts way too many ppl can’t give up, the options becomes much much wider.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in Guardian

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

One thing I hate about AH is that I got into a nasty habit of spamming shouts when I get low instead of saving them when the team actually needs them. Since I switched into a dps build that habit slowly went away.

Touch’e.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

in Guardian

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

To anyone who thinks guardian trait diversity is bad, go play a ranger or necro. You are forced 30 deep into wildereress survival on ranger regardless of build and necro just has loads of worthless traits.

Relatively, guardians are in a good spot.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

Same. Ever since I switched my build I’ve just become an overall better player instead of relying on AH and wasting shouts to save me. It’s amazing what the ridiculous amounts of vigor and heal-rolls will do for a guardian, though.

in Guardian

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

To anyone who thinks guardian trait diversity is bad, go play a ranger or necro. You are forced 30 deep into wildereress survival on ranger regardless of build and necro just has loads of worthless traits.

Relatively, guardians are in a good spot.

My ranger has never specced more than 20 points in wilderness survival. The build I’m using currently doesn’t have any points in wilderness survival.

If I was going to pick a “must have” ranger trait to compare to altruistic healing, I would pick fortifying bond. Fortifying bond is the only way your pet is going to get boons in a group setting. And a pet that’s stacked up with the same boons you’re getting is a much less useless pet.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Guardian

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Same. Ever since I switched my build I’ve just become an overall better player instead of relying on AH and wasting shouts to save me. It’s amazing what the ridiculous amounts of vigor and heal-rolls will do for a guardian, though.

I’ve found it difficult to kick the AH habit, but I’m trying. Right now I’m trying a 0/30/0/30/10 build with:

• Blind exposure, powerful blades, right hand strength
  • Superior aria, Two handed mastery, Pure of Voice
  • Master of consecrations/unscathed contender

Those slot traits will obviously change as the situation demands, but right now, I’m just using my guardian for soloing.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690