...retired my guardian.. rolled a thief

in Guardian

Posted by: testpig.5018

testpig.5018

topic says it all, my main toon was a guardian, and i put in about 400 hrs on her, and just always felt the class was not where it should/could be.

I rolled a thief, just for kicks, just to study the class. The gap between what each class can do, is insane.

I will play this this, and abuse it and all it’s broken features, until it is forced to be nerfed to the ground.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lordryux.9785

Lordryux.9785

are u doing this cuz u got ur tail kicked by a thief on ur guardian.? cuz thier really not all that great it just depends on who ur going up against imo. all depends on the player behind the character. any character can become great.

in Guardian

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

I have a guardian.. and I’m always nailing down thieves in PvP.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

in Guardian

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

I get you OP, I feel the same about Warriors and Thieves.

Guardian isn’t a bad profession, and the game isn’t centered on balancing 1v1, the main purpose is having fun and Guardians provide plenty of it.

I was bothered by the thought of being sorta useless in WvW so I started a Warrior. And after a short time playing, I understood why is it the most popular profession in the game.

Higher health, I have 26k with a non-Vitality build, my Guardian is a heavy hitter but I have a low crit chance, with the Warrior I can get permanent Fury (seriously, this is unbelievable) and it’s so easy to get Might.
Armor is also high, though I don’t like the Warrior’s Defense Line so I don’t spend any points there. Mobility is as good as a Guardian’s, and I’m using Greatsword, Longbow and Sword/Shield.

The healing is worse, that’s for sure, and also the group healing.
Boons for the group is even better in my opinion, since I pretty much grant Might and Fury constantly every 25 seconds for a (check this!) 30 second duration!

AoE damage is weaker in my opinion, because it can’t beat a Symbol of Wrath plus Whirling Wrath, but you get Hundred Blades for insane burst.

Ranged defense is, of course, worse. Actually, I wouldn’t say worse, because Guardians are the only profession who can grant so much ranged protection with ease and group-wide.

But overall, the possibilities are much more in my opinion.
Thieves are the same, although I don’t like how squishy I am, if you play properly with Stealth and avoid getting hit, you’re in for some great fun. If you’re a sadist, even more, because you can annoy players in so many ways…

However, no other profession is as cool as the Guardians.
Guardians are rank 1 in coolness by far, and coolness > effectiveness to a certain extent.

in Guardian

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Yeah I feel ya man. I got my guardian to 80, leveled my thief, was like “hm my thief is kind of weak, must be the low level and inferior gear,” got my thief to 80 with full exotics, went back to guardian, difference was just like… WHY. Guardian rips through 10+ elite mobs without even taking damage while thief takes days to kill one regular mob and dies in two hits. At least I can run ori nodes with my thief. Shadow Refuge makes that so loleasy.

Guardians need some serious nerfs if any other class is going to be viable in PvE. Fortunately I think Anet is pretty on that ball judging from recent patches.

in Guardian

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

Guardian is a good GW2 profession…

But its like thieves, mesmers and warriors were made for a different game one where players all have 40k health and 5 or 6 stunbreaks and unlimited condition removal.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in Guardian

Posted by: Edelweiss.9815

Edelweiss.9815

Warrior is terrible in PvP, what the hell are you guys talking about?

in Guardian

Posted by: Poplik.8697

Poplik.8697

Guardian rips through 10+ elite mobs without even taking damage while thief takes days to kill one regular mob and dies in two hits.

umm I think you did something wrong, I had duo in Orr with my thief friend, and we had problem that I couldn’t get credit for some of the mobs, because he killed them before I could swing my weapon. He literally oneshot some of them.

Sure when there were more mobs, or veterans present I had the upper hand, but single mobs simply disappeared usually without hitting him once.

in Guardian

Posted by: Camagee.5391

Camagee.5391

Really? People saying warriors are op?….you have to play way better on a warrior in pvp to even compete with most other classes…green green grass.

in Guardian

Danicco.3568

The OP is mentioning Thieves, I’m the one who mentioned Warriors.

And re-read my post. I haven’t said Warriors are better, I said their possibilities are wider.

Higher health means I don’t have to actually Trait or Gear for it without the fear of getting insta-downed.
High armor means you have the same armor as a Guardian.

The ability to grant Fury and Might easily means better stats alocation, you can actually run with only 10% Crit Chance and play at 30%.
There’s a bunch of “on crit” abilities and items, and if you want to fully benefit from them you actually have to Trait or Gear for Critical Chance on a Guardian.
While remembering to keep your Health, Power, Armor high too.

AoE damage is worse, but you get the option to burst someone. Can you burst someone with your Guardian like a Thief, Warrior or Elementalist can?

While still doing the same stuff as you do with a Guardian, just differently.
So no, Warriors aren’t “better” or “worse”, they’re different, and they have plenty of more possibilities than a Guardian does. And I didn’t even mention ranged weapons.

in Guardian

Posted by: KensaiZen.3740

KensaiZen.3740

The classes are different, play different for different styles and mindset. For uber damage and burst thief wins hands down. For survivability and support, guardians win hands down. Warriors are the in between.

I’ve rolled all three classes and played them all in PvP. Guardians win always. A hybrid guardian can fight and win against any class. A bunker build destroys all the other classes. Thieves cannot beat guardians unless you let them (or you panic when they start laying it on you). The trick with thieves is to hit them back with everything u got when they hit you. Their low armour and HP means it is more likely they will die before you do. When they invis, lay down some aoe goodness and the job is done. Never run from a thief, it’s the worst thing u can do.

Against warrior? True they have amazing burst damage. But all you have to do is avoid them for 10 seconds and you win automatically. They may have insanely high vitality, but they have terrible healing. This means in a long fight, their vitality means nothing. Even with 15k HP we can keep healing constantly whilst dealing damage or crowd controlling.

Playing as the other two classes. The “how to beat a guardian” tactics are far too difficult to pull off if you opponent has some skill.

Winters Ascension The White Guardian
Sophia Theos Beast Master
[Fissure of Woe]

in Guardian

Posted by: Pragmatist.1349

Pragmatist.1349

Its interesting because my main is a thief with around 700 hours played, and if nothing good comes next patch im rerolling Guardian haha :P. I posted this on another forum but it stands here aswell.

“This may be controversial here but the following small post is my defense of Retaliation.

Traits
30 Valor – Purity, Strength of the Fallen, Altruistic Healing
30 Honor – Writ of Exaltation, Writ of the Merciful, Superior Aria
10 Virtues – Vengeful

Gear – Full power/toughness/vitality. Weapons – Hammer/Greatsword
Utilities – Signet of Resolve, Stand your Ground, Hold the Line, Signet of Judgement.

So, heres how it goes.

Open with 3x Hammer swing basic attack for Protection symbol, use Hammer Mighty Blow for Retaliation, use Stand your ground for more retaliation, do 3x more Hammer swings for another Protection symbol, switch to Greatsword and use leap of faith through the combo field to gain more retaliation, use Symbol of wrath for more retaliation, use Blinding blade for the DoT then use Whirling Wrath. Swap back to Hammer and repeat the entire combo.

And thats how Guardian achieves the second highest PbAoE damage currently ingame, second currently only to warrior. Please note that this is intended for PvE.

Thats my small defense of the current way that Guardian can function in PvE with Retaliation up 100% of the time and Protection up about 70% of the time. Removing Retaliation from the game would be a huge mistake and would basically destroy this Guardian build which is perhaps the most useful PvE build currently available for the class.

Note: For many situations in PvE you can swap out a utility of your choice for Wall of Reflection, which is an extremely powerful spell in many PvE situations.”

Guardian is a very good class, Thief for pve currently has basically no build variety and you bring very little to a group. The original poster mentioned Thief, im not sure why he chose Thief to reroll as, but if its this whole 1shot backstab build hes going to be disappointed at firstly how difficult it is to pull off, secondly the cooldown on the build, and thirdly the fact its getting nerfed next patch. Thief is currently one of the poorer designed classes, Guardian is one of the better designed classes. You should stay Guardian.

in Guardian

Danicco.3568

Guardian is a very good class, Thief for pve currently has basically no build variety and you bring very little to a group. The original poster mentioned Thief, im not sure why he chose Thief to reroll as, but if its this whole 1shot backstab build hes going to be disappointed at firstly how difficult it is to pull off, secondly the cooldown on the build, and thirdly the fact its getting nerfed next patch. Thief is currently one of the poorer designed classes, Guardian is one of the better designed classes. You should stay Guardian.

I agree that overall, Guardian seems to be better, since you can do the same as other professions regarding damage while still bringing support, but, when you’re talking PvP (or WvW) they’re are an entirely different beast.

Thieves poorly designed? Indeed, but not for the worse. Check the screenshot attached.
Note my health, I don’t run with 10k health, although I don’t gear for toughness and Elementalists have the lowest tier Armor in the game, but that’s the fun you get to do if you play Thief.

You don’t even have to have a single build just for backstab, I play a Thief occasionally and I get to do this (it’s a simple Mug + Backstab) often, even with the Signet nerfed. So I disagree on how “hard it is to pull off”. Anyone can press 2~3 buttons.

But I really expect a nerf in the next patch. Just mending stuff with the Signet nerf doesn’t mean much if you can still 20k a cloth profession who was running in permanent swiftness (yeah, I’m still wondering how he caught up, none of us were in combat).

Attachments:

in Guardian

Relentliss.2170

When you have a class that averages ~ 4k a hit and people have ~ 20k health there is going to be problems.

in Guardian

Pragmatist.1349

You shouldnt just expect a nerf next patch, arenanet have stated backstab is getting nerfed. Yeah pvp and pve are different beasts. Im not sure how Guardian can function in PvP but i know in PvE its one of the better designed classes, arenanet should separate PvP from PvE like in GW1 because otherwise they will never be able to achieve any kindof class balance in either sphere.

Anyone can press 2-3 buttons indeed, but the optimal build is not only backstab one shot build, its also permanent stealth. Its difficult to maintain and tbh its low reward. Its like a Pom Pyro mage from WoW vanilla who could 1 shot someone every 3minutes and otherwise was useless. When your cooldowns are popped, if you cannot restealth you are dead. The Backstab build is an inferior Spvp build choice for Thief also. When i stated that Thief had one optimal build i was talking in terms of PvE, you basically have two or three variants of the same optimal build. This may change next patch if arenanet does something with Venomsharing and if our Constant damage is buffed.

I would also state that Thief is a poorly designed class because of its inherent design. Basically, you are encouraged to spam one or two skills which give the highest damage output due to having no cooldowns on weapon skills and the initiative system. Which means that we can achieve very high burst, which means that our constant damage has to be nerfed low. Which makes us a bad pve choice. Most of our weapon combos are absolutely useless also, Dual Pistols also needs a buff but probs wont because of pvp/pve balancing issues. I would also say when you stack all this with Haste, our quickness ability, our burst becomes OP which then lead to nerfs which destroy the class such as the 10% Unload damage nerf on Dual pistols or the 15% Damage nerf on Pistol Whip with S/P. These nerfs basically made those weapon combos, for the most part, obsolete. Thief is currently a semi-broken class, its not a good choice.

in Guardian

Pragmatist.1349

I would also state that if you are a Guardian who knows how to play pvp you will literally eat Thieves alive with permanent protection + retaliation and mass survivability. Makes you an insane bunker.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

I would also state that if you are a Guardian who knows how to play pvp you will literally eat Thieves alive with permanent protection + retaliation and mass survivability. Makes you an insane bunker.

but retaliation is going to be addressed, so a bunker build is going to be only a meat shield, i hope at least they nerf the damage of all the classes as glass cannon.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

in Guardian

Pragmatist.1349

Its a shame that retaliation will get hit, its what really makes Guardian a great pve class, and its only getting nerfed for pvp issues. Arenanet should separate pve from pvp.

in Guardian

Pragmatist.1349

I thought that arenanet already adressed Retaliation btw, didnt they nerf a few retaliation based things a few patches ago? If they leave it as it is, Retal will still function fine.

in Guardian

Ganzo.5079

I thought that arenanet already adressed Retaliation btw, didnt they nerf a few retaliation based things a few patches ago? If they leave it as it is, Retal will still function fine.

They hit some skill, but the change was useless, build with 100% retal uptime, are still here! so i think they change something else to address the issue.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
LOL

in Guardian

Pragmatist.1349

Tbh i dont see a problem with having 100% retal uptime, you still have to put some effort in to maintain the buff, its not like you can just smash your head on your keyboard and magically get 100% retaliation. Plus, Guardian doesnt get traits that other classes get like Thief gets 20% increased Damage when the Target is under 50%, Warrior gets 10% increased damage with weapons etc etc. Guardian needs heavy retaliation to function as a class. And TBH i dont see a problem with having counter-classes, for example, a retal tanky guardian will counterclass a damage Thief. Counterclassing is what makes an arena system good, brings alot of tactics to the game.

in Guardian

Pragmatist.1349

If arenanet mess up Retaliation i think i will drop my Guardian reroll and go Spirits Ranger.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

If Arenanet mess up Retaliation I think I will drop my Guardian reroll and go Spirits Ranger.

If Guardians would lose a bit of their reliance on Retaliation (which I think would be a good thing), they kinda deserve more damage in other areas.

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

Pragmatist.1349

Hmm, i would be happy with a small retaliation nerf for increased damage with Hammer and increased range+damage with scepter and staff. Though for me, they should leave retal as it is. Retal is basically the core of guardian class mechanic ;p. Or they should just separate pve/pvp and leave retal as it is for Pve and change it in pvp.

in Guardian

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

If Arenanet mess up Retaliation I think I will drop my Guardian reroll and go Spirits Ranger.

If Guardians would lose a bit of their reliance on Retaliation (which I think would be a good thing), they kinda deserve more damage in other areas.

Indeed. With so many traits/skills reliant on retaliation, something must be given when you start taking this away.

in Guardian

Lordryux.9785

yea i think guardian is my class now no matter wat happens ill stick with it ive tried every single class and didnt feel for anyone like i did with guardian i can literally jump into 10 mobs no problem and come out alive every single time.

warriors are cake easy in pvp even when im running on my offensive build u still take them down in seconds. thiefs are not even a problem only time i actually got killed by a thief was 3v1 >.>

and aswell everytime im in a group using empower baby ^^ u kno wat i get in my Pms? (Dude i kittening love u for the might stacks lets party again sometime ^^) lol

in Guardian

Ganzo.5079

Hmm, i would be happy with a small retaliation nerf for increased damage with Hammer and increased range+damage with scepter and staff. Though for me, they should leave retal as it is. Retal is basically the core of guardian class mechanic ;p. Or they should just separate pve/pvp and leave retal as it is for Pve and change it in pvp.

its really wrong this thing.
NO one classe on this game really need a static mechanic like this, on PVP it broke balance, and on Pve its without a real use because you dont have to keep aggro by damaging.

LOL

in Guardian

Lordryux.9785

i wanna really kno wats so wrong with retaliation.. the only real nerf. i was kinda mad about is when they decreased Save ur selfs shout from 10 seconds to 5 seconds in pvp.. that really kittened me so bad…. x.x its not even worth having on my bar anymore x.x

in Guardian

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

I’m not sure I’d re-roll a Guardian for a Thief or Warrior (though the range option on a warrior is nice)…

However, maybe an Engineer or Elementalist…

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

in Guardian

Danicco.3568

I don’t really like Retaliation, and I treat is more of a “Oh, I had that bonus damage there” than anything else.

The problem with Retaliation is that it is a fixed value, so if you get smashed by a giant for 6k damage, you’d return 300 damage from your Retaliation. Same for a 10k backstab.
However, it also functions the other way around, a Thief double striking you for 600ish and taking 300 damage every hit will surely feel it.

It would be nice if it were a fixed % of the damage returned, maybe scaled to our Condition Damage or something.

Retaliation bunker builds also have a serious issue in that most of your damage comes from taking hits, and this is a serious issue! For 1v1 it might be fine since your opponent will die before you, but how am I supposed to 1v5 like this?

I’m not sure I’d re-roll a Guardian for a Thief or Warrior (though the range option on a warrior is nice)…

However, maybe an Engineer or Elementalist…

I recommend it, if you want to level another character. It’s a fun profession and it has so many options, but the most important is obviously the burst/AoE damage.
It seems the total opposite when I play my Guardian, I don’t look for people to help or defend, I look for things to kill and harass.

Though the squishiness of Elementalists kinda bugs me.

(edited by Danicco.3568)

in Guardian

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

I don’t ever want to replace my Guardian, love em way too much. Just not a fan of the adjustments as of late.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

Retaliation is basically the core of [the Guardian. Or they should just separate PvE/PvP and leave Retaliation as it is for PvE and change it in PvP.

Well, I think it’s problematic that we need to rely on Retaliation that much. It shouldn’t be core to the Guardian. Also, a bunker Guardian can do a disproportional amount of damage through Retaliation, which is a relatively passive way of doing damage.

I also think the way Retaliation works is wrong as well, but I’d rather not bring this thread more off-topic.

More on-topic: I don’t think I’ll ever “reroll”, since the Guardian fits my playstyle the best. I’m also not the sort of person who rerolls because his favored profession got a few small changes. I’m also not convinced that the Guardian is “nerfed” in such a way as to be unplayable or too weak.
That being said, I recently started leveling a Necromancer and it’s been fun, despite them having worse traits than we have. (And I don’t know if it’ll keep my interest, since I hardly care about half their utilities.)

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

Posted by: ryan.5106

ryan.5106

topic says it all, my main toon was a guardian, and i put in about 400 hrs on her, and just always felt the class was not where it should/could be.

I rolled a thief, just for kicks, just to study the class. The gap between what each class can do, is insane.

I will play this this, and abuse it and all it’s broken features, until it is forced to be nerfed to the ground.

So you played a profession until you got bored with it and created an alt? I’m failing to see how this is significant in any way.

in Guardian

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guardian rips through 10+ elite mobs without even taking damage while thief takes days to kill one regular mob and dies in two hits.

umm I think you did something wrong, I had duo in Orr with my thief friend, and we had problem that I couldn’t get credit for some of the mobs, because he killed them before I could swing my weapon. He literally oneshot some of them.

Sure when there were more mobs, or veterans present I had the upper hand, but single mobs simply disappeared usually without hitting him once.

Sounds like your guardian isn’t built correctly then. Maybe you’re running hammer? Haha.

In all seriousness, if you build a “glass cannon” guardian you will still have better survivability than a “tanky” thief and better DPS than a glass cannon thief. The raw damage output from a greatsword burst is insanely high and is only really rivaled by elementalist and warrior skills. It’s super easy to just run around Orr and pull 10+ mobs together and just tear through them all at once. You’d probably be dead before you even got to the second mob if you tried that with a thief.

The one place thief DPS really stands out is in dungeons against healthsink bosses, since there’s more time for their long bleed stacks to tick and they can Heartseeker spam on <50% HP mobs for high damage. Even so I don’t think their DPS is actually that good until you hit <25% Heartseekers.

in Guardian

Posted by: Chii.2814

Chii.2814

I dont understand what kind of thieves you guys are killing

All I know is whenever I “win” against one theyll just run. No Badge for me.
Unless getting them to run away is considered “killing”

in Guardian

Posted by: Tito.3270

Tito.3270

I dont understand what kind of thieves you guys are killing

All I know is whenever I “win” against one theyll just run. No Badge for me.
Unless getting them to run away is considered “killing”

Scepter chains, hammer circle, staff line, greatsword pull, judges intervention,… ?
Thiefs are too predictable, as soon as they loose hp they try to run, that’s the moment where you can use one of your 938489237948327985 stuns to finish him off.

in Guardian

Posted by: ExpiredLifetime.1083

ExpiredLifetime.1083

For everyone ripping on hammer guardians?
That’s your HIGHEST dps weapon as a guardian. Your raw dps from the hammer alone is about equal to that of the GS, but when you throw in the retaliation from a mighty blow after you drop a symbol, it skyrockets.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kreslin.6832

Kreslin.6832

Isn’t it a Troll thread?

Seize the day.

in Guardian

Posted by: Sunt.6835

Sunt.6835

1 on 1 is possible to win no matter what class u play but what the greatest thing about Thieve is that …

They can run around a whole WvW map on their own , no need to fear anything because they get off the battle and run away which no one else can catch them. Mesmer can also do the same.

if u r other classes u cant run around the map like a boss like them …..

BG

in Guardian

Relentliss.2170

In all seriousness, if you build a “glass cannon” guardian you will still have better survivability than a “tanky” thief and better DPS than a glass cannon thief.

In this game and most others Mobility=Survivability, in which Thieves have in abundance. While that does figure in on anyone’s excel tables like health and toughness, being able to go inv when they want, run faster than everyone else and blink around, not to mention healing while invisible, equals a heck of a lot more survivability than 3k armor and some mild regeneration.

in Guardian

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

In all seriousness, if you build a “glass cannon” guardian you will still have better survivability than a “tanky” thief and better DPS than a glass cannon thief.

In this game and most others Mobility=Survivability, in which Thieves have in abundance. While that does figure in on anyone’s excel tables like health and toughness, being able to go inv when they want, run faster than everyone else and blink around, not to mention healing while invisible, equals a heck of a lot more survivability than 3k armor and some mild regeneration.

But that’s exactly what makes guardians so good. They don’t need to kite. They can easily just sit and outheal anything that isn’t meant to be an OHKO burst attack. By comparison a thief might be able to avoid a few hits by evading with DB/Pistol Whip but their healing is terrible and stealth does nothing to actually mitigate damage, so when they do get hit that damage is there to stay. Get hit 2-3 times and they’re pretty much forced to run away with their low health pool. In my experience running with guardian tends to be charge in swinging = everything dead while thief tends to be gank one mob, get hit, run away and reset aggro, repeat.

In fact the thief is probably the only class that even needs to be mobile, just because otherwise their defense sucks so much.

in Guardian

Poplik.8697

Sounds like your guardian isn’t built correctly then. Maybe you’re running hammer? Haha.

it’s not about my guardian, I can kill at decent speed, it’s about the thief. I didn’t use one-shot as a figure of speech, he literaly killed some of them within a second, before I (I was on my mesmer btw) or any other class could swing his weapon. You said thiefs need ages to kill single mob, that’s simply not what I saw. This is post assassin signet “nerf” (I think it’s actually a buff in PvE, 5 dancing daggers critting for 10k+ dmg on each bounce is not a rare sight.)

edit: I reread your original post, killing 10+ ELITES without taking a hit on guardian? I think I got trolled. >.<

(edited by Poplik.8697)

in Guardian

Posted by: Xyvius.1679

Xyvius.1679

In WvW, the Thief makes a strong roamer and feels generally more productive that than the Guardian.

In sPVP, bunker Guardians are very strong as are stealth Thieves. Difference in play style mainly.

Don’t even try and say that Thief is stronger than Guardian in PvE.

Just… don’t even.

in Guardian

Poplik.8697

I don’t know if it’s meant at me Xyvius, but I never said thief is better in general PvE, I just said that if it takes you long to kill single mobs, you are doing something wrong. I even said that with more mobs/veterans guardian is stronger.

in Guardian

Posted by: buki.3108

buki.3108

Hope you didn’t delete your Guardian – you have three days on your thief. Enjoy it.

in Guardian

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

In WvWvW nothing but a mesmer stacks up to the power of a thief.

I leveled four classes to 80; Ranger, Warrior, Guardian, and finally a Thief, all in exotic armor/weapons. Of these four classes they rank as follows.

PvE – Guardian, Warrior, Thief (barely above), Ranger.
sPvP – Guardian, Warrior, Thief, and I won’t even use Ranger is sPvP.
WvWvW – Thief way above the rest, followed by Warrior, Guardian, and forget the Ranger.

My fifth toon I’m leveling to 80 is going to be a Mesmer, since I fear fighting them on any of my other four toons.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

in Guardian

Posted by: Wizardauz.3761

Wizardauz.3761

As i see it,

Guardians take more… skill. Reason being is because of our sustained DPS rather then burst. Classes like Warriors/Thieves are marked as OP because comparatively are kill times are very different, as well as how the actually fight progressives in terms of how much the opponent can maneuver during the rotations/skill sequence chosen by the class.

With thieves having stealth to protect them and culling issues on their side, warriors having naturally high hp and access to all weapons and the ability to do great dmg with almost any of them, all of this coupled with great burst seperates the class.

The element of suprise is a lot different between Guardian and Theif. Even with the warrior too. I feel as if the time between realization of being attacked to reaction time is alot different and thus a different experience all around. Which in turn lowers the skill needed to preform those skill sequences and the resistance usually encountered.

A good guardian can beat a warrior and a thief, but it also more often then not takes alot more out of the guardian and takes alot of “bad-play” by the warrior/thief (bad dodges, not expecting attacks). While in the flip side it doesnt seem to be so. A good thief or a good warrior can down the “bad-play” guardian easily. Even if the armor is high its only a buffer and wont serve you for all that long.

Even in a Good Guardian vs Good thief/warrior. The good guardian will be forced to play his CDs, dodges, pulls/CCs alot more effectively/intelligently then a warrior or thief would having to worry about his CDs

Guardians are the “Jack’s of All Trades and Masters of None” profession. Other professions have better healing/stacking from healing power, other professions can be tougher, other professions have more logical ways of defense that last longer, other professions have more boons at longer durations.

Most of these examples are played by specialized classes while it is arguable that a guardian has more “breathing room” in terms of build sometimes. (Although i still believe the x/x/30/30/x will become to most played spec in the guardian realm and eventually turn into the end-all guardian meta game, sadly)

Ehmry Bay – Good Fights Guild Leader
Lvl 80 Sylvari Guardian – Tzenjin [GF]
Lvl 80 Human Elementalist – Tzenkai [GF]

in Guardian

Posted by: metapod.4173

metapod.4173

I think that Guard is OP when it comes to PvE. I think there is a different story in WvW. lack of range and ranged AoEs make it nigh impossible to get badges in large quantities, unlike my engineer or my elementalist.

but pve, you can literally sit around with a hammer, keep symbol of prot up, and ez mode thru just about everything. that’s what i expected, and that’s what i do on my guard.

just reroll for pvp. problem solved.

i roll x/x/30/30/10 btw

in Guardian

Posted by: Spawn.7014

Spawn.7014

My guard is just sitting around because hes 100% useless in WvW. hes got 1 good skill wall of reflect.

Warrior in WvW is 1000000X better. 2 real ranged options = OWNING!
Warrior with a 2h hammer = CC to death.

in Guardian

Posted by: Shaftronics.8651

Shaftronics.8651

My guard is just sitting around because hes 100% useless in WvW. hes got 1 good skill wall of reflect.

Warrior in WvW is 1000000X better. 2 real ranged options = OWNING!
Warrior with a 2h hammer = CC to death.

That’s a problem with the player unable to utilize the tools given to him.

I can harass from behind walls and gates. I can cast swiftness, create walls at range, reflect projectiles, remove conditions from my entire zerg and effortlessly buff ALL of them with dstability, protection and retaliation and scare the living bits off a kiting caster or ranged class by teleporting into his face and burying it into the ground, or teleporting RIGHT inside a siege building plan and destroying it from the full effect of Whirling Wrath.

A warrior is a sharp rock that’s thrown at others. A guardian is even a bigger rock; a little harder to throw, but it’s harder to break… and it kitten teleports.