what is the best build pve-wvw atm?

in Guardian

Posted by: Derathore.4326

Derathore.4326

hey guys like my title say hm what is the best build for wvw / pve kinda love greatsword but i need max dps output + surv dont want to be too much glasscannon . link me some build and when if your link my trait like 0/30/30/5/5 tell me ( II / VII etc ) plz

amd a10-5800k 4.2ghz quad-core | amd hd7850 2g gddr5 | kingston/crucial 1×8go 1600mhz | ssd
kingston 128g | Nzxt phantom 410 black | therm
altake Tr2-600w

in Guardian

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

This is a very popular build in PvE, works wonders in dungeons, doesnt work too much in big zergs in WvW but in small skirmishes it is really strong

I adopted it because of how well self sustain you are while providing condition convertions while pumping insane damage!

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/guardian/?3.0|1.5g.h2|6.1c.h2|1g.a5.1g.a5.1g.a5.1g.a5.1g.a5.1g.a5|2s.0.2s.0.3s.0.2s.0.3s.0.1g.67|0.5.u64b.u29b.5|0.0|0.0.0.0.0|e

basically it is 0/5/30/30/5 focusing on Pure of Voice for conditions to boons convertions and AH for self healing, full zerker gear with some valkiry or knight as needed, personally I run it with some knight armor and valkiry weapons with full zerker trinkets.

pretty much 1 out of 2 hits are crits and they hit really high, survivability comes from the 1:1 healing power of the dodges and perma vigor, coupled with AH proccing from pretty much EVERYTHING you do.

Hope it helps, for some more WvW focused builds I think soldiers with more into x/x/x/30/20-+ but that isnt my field.

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

in Guardian

Derathore.4326

thx for the post !! ill take a look , but i got those build too but hm this one is not bad but not much dps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad2oZjIuKX0 and the other one is really glasscannon and well i cant even hit the same as he did maybe patched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgYhGde9Qmc

amd a10-5800k 4.2ghz quad-core | amd hd7850 2g gddr5 | kingston/crucial 1×8go 1600mhz | ssd
altake Tr2-600w

in Guardian

Derathore.4326

ive buyed all of those gear bot build cost me alot !!!!!!!!!!!!!! and cant even do the same i dont say im not good or i dont know my class its just dont even the same .

altake Tr2-600w

in Guardian

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

I don’t play WvW so I can’t comment on that. I can tell you that 0/5/30/30/5 is bad. Like, you could actively be trying to make the worst possible build and it’d still be better than that.

Also, you can’t have max DPS output and still make survivability tradeoffs. That’s technically impossible, if you are speccing for survivability you’re losing DPS. You can, however, come pretty close to a high-survivability, high DPS spec with something like 10/30/20/10/0 sword/shield.

in Guardian

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

I don’t play WvW so I can’t comment on that. I can tell you that 0/5/30/30/5 is bad. Like, you could actively be trying to make the worst possible build and it’d still be better than that.

Also, you can’t have max DPS output and still make survivability tradeoffs. That’s technically impossible, if you are speccing for survivability you’re losing DPS. You can, however, come pretty close to a high-survivability, high DPS spec with something like 10/30/20/10/0 sword/shield.

If you are taking part in T1 WvW, you are likely part of a mele train and the 30/30 build is pretty good for that situation.

Is it the best 1v1 build. No. But it might be one of the best in that sort of situation where you have lots of people to proc AH off of.

Now I know some people run other builds in the same situation, Synergy Builds – Boon Builds etc, and a good guild will tell you what they want you to run, but if you are trying to take part in T1 pvp and don’t know what to run you could do a lot worse than the 30/30 AH build.

If I am running by myself or in a small group I generally use a different build.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in Guardian

Derathore.4326

i kinda need a meat wall build ( ) like i can surv pretty good and dps as well ah build is it good ? i saw some healing build out there but i dont know if it perform well like i said i prefer to have some opinion first so i wont spend for nothing! i kinda want 1v1 easy and get 3v1 4-1 ok not too bad i dont said 4-1 all the way just to surv and dont get 1shoot guardian have the lowest hp pool so… kinda need pvt

altake Tr2-600w

in Guardian

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

If you are taking part in T1 WvW, you are likely part of a mele train and the 30/30 build is pretty good for that situation.

Is it the best 1v1 build. No. But it might be one of the best in that sort of situation where you have lots of people to proc AH off of.

Now I know some people run other builds in the same situation, Synergy Builds – Boon Builds etc, and a good guild will tell you what they want you to run, but if you are trying to take part in T1 pvp and don’t know what to run you could do a lot worse than the 30/30 AH build.

If I am running by myself or in a small group I generally use a different build.

He was talking about pve.

in Guardian

Posted by: Renny.6571

Renny.6571

No such thing as a pve build that’s viable in WvW and vice-versa unfortunately. If you’re running pve in tanky gear, you’re doing pve wrong. If you’re running wvw in zerkers gear you’re a fookin’ rallybot.

elite specs ruined pvp.

in Guardian

Derathore.4326

i posted 2 gear set..

Attachments:

altake Tr2-600w

in Guardian

Posted by: Rigel.3092

Rigel.3092

As your comment above illustrates, if you do not play WvW and know the common Guardian setups in WvW, then simply do not comment, you think. A 0/5/30/30/5 is not bad and is quite doable and effective in a WvW environment. I have no doubt that you would proclaim a 0/0/30/30/10 build garbage too, huh? Yeah, stick with what you know – PvE – cause you are simply clueless about WvW.

in Guardian

Derathore.4326

i just want to know other opinion about some build , there some pretty good build on youtube but you know 2012 is pretty old and maybe some build have changed so i just want to get many build as possible trait with ( XI , II , III ) etc + gear knight acess: berserker idk .! i not sure if anyone here is running allllllll the same build full berserker and get 1 shooted buy other not so sure i see some guard just face/roll other ppl face that what i want but no info bout that… pretty sad

altake Tr2-600w

in Guardian

Posted by: Wicked.9564

Wicked.9564

in Guardian

Derathore.4326

Soundzz pretty Legit ill try that

altake Tr2-600w

in Guardian

spoj.9672

As your comment above illustrates, if you do not play WvW and know the common Guardian setups in WvW, then simply do not comment, you think. A 0/5/30/30/5 is not bad and is quite doable and effective in a WvW environment. I have no doubt that you would proclaim a 0/0/30/30/10 build garbage too, huh? Yeah, stick with what you know – PvE – cause you are simply clueless about WvW.

I think you’re misunderstanding what he was saying. He was saying that build is bad for pve. He cant claim to know if its good in wvw, which he clearly stated in his first sentence. You should probably read before you post. The op asked for pve and wvw builds and guang was simply saying that that build is terrible for pve. Which is true.

(edited by spoj.9672)

in Guardian

Fortus.6175

. I can tell you that 0/5/30/30/5 is bad. L.

SAY WHAT?!?!?!? Ok, you seem to be pretty uninformed, so let me teach you a little in the ways of the guardian; guardian have a lot of synergy with traits and their damage doesnt come from burst, but rather from long DPS and enhancing the DPS and survival of allies which on the long run make up for even greater DPS.

If you want big numbers sure you could throw a sword and go 30 into radiance and if you want scepter you could throw 20 into zeal, but you would be giving up a lot of survival and boons for some mere extra damage which is not worh it at the end.

Here, let me show you how skilled and smart guardians go around this build; It is all about synergy:

As you probably [hopefully] know, Altruistic Healing heals you a small amount for each individual boon you apply (meaning 3 might stacks = 3 independent heals), a lot of the survival comes from timing these with some effects, example, in this build, F1 applies blind to nearby foes as well as 3 might stacks to all allies, that means a total of 15 boons, plus a blind. If you are dumbly using it everytime available you are wasting healing and defensive debffs. This build isnt about soaking damage, but rather negating it all together, or healing it off. Honor gives you vigor on crits, you can literally have perma vigor which means you get an AoE heal on a 1:1 healing ration (you have 300 already from Honor) everytime you roll, not only that, when endurance is low you get a flipping 10% damage increase, so you are encouraged to roll, A LOT.

Pure of Voice is not only condition cleansing, but also CONDITION CONVERTION, and if that wasnt enough it applies party wide, with double effect on you. Here, let me show you how important this is; in TA there are these plants which apply a stacking poison cloud, poison increases in duration, so what do you do? You pop a shout and all that poison duration gets convered to….wait for it…. regeneration (with a converted duration based on remaining poison duration), so not only did you take away the debuff, but also applied a long lasting regen.

Valor gives you 300 toughness, coupled with Honor’s 300 vitality and 300 healing power your effective health goes up by a LOT, and if that wasnt enough, toughness is converted into precision thanks to Valor which translate to more critical chance, aka more vigor and more healing and dodge defense.

They all synergy perfectly, it is what I used to beat Liadri, her fumble and cripples were converted into Vigor AND swiftness, which is like the most totally awesome buffs agaisnt her.

Hope you learned something about guardians, Im always willing to teach newer player

Legendary SoloQ

in Guardian

Fortus.6175

^ There are many more examples I could give on how good that build is for PvE dungeons and group content but the limit is harsh on me :/, so all I want to leave is that AH is amazing tool in group content, with the 20% 2H weapon CD you get to do all these stuff that gives boons (GS #4, Staff #3 and #4) more often and get even more healing. I cant emphasize how awesome perma vigor is, like seriously, it gives so much healing and 10% damage increase! The DPS is above decent into high since you can have around 110% crit increase and ~45% crit chance, enough power to make it hit like a truck.

Of course this doesnt work very well vs players as this is more of a DPS team oriented build focused in dungeons and open world events, but I have succesfully used it with valkyry and knight which gives about a just slightly less DPS but incredible survivability

Legendary SoloQ

in Guardian

Posted by: Cures.7451

Cures.7451

SAY WHAT?!?!?!? Ok, you seem to be pretty uninformed, so let me teach you a little in the ways of the guardian; guardian have a lot of synergy with traits and their damage doesnt come from burst, but rather from long DPS and enhancing the DPS and survival of allies which on the long run make up for even greater DPS.

If you want big numbers sure you could throw a sword and go 30 into radiance and if you want scepter you could throw 20 into zeal, but you would be giving up a lot of survival and boons for some mere extra damage which is not worh it at the end.

Here, let me show you how skilled and smart guardians go around this build; It is all about synergy:

As you probably [hopefully] know, Altruistic Healing heals you a small amount for each individual boon you apply (meaning 3 might stacks = 3 independent heals), a lot of the survival comes from timing these with some effects, example, in this build, F1 applies blind to nearby foes as well as 3 might stacks to all allies, that means a total of 15 boons, plus a blind. If you are dumbly using it everytime available you are wasting healing and defensive debffs. This build isnt about soaking damage, but rather negating it all together, or healing it off. Honor gives you vigor on crits, you can literally have perma vigor which means you get an AoE heal on a 1:1 healing ration (you have 300 already from Honor) everytime you roll, not only that, when endurance is low you get a flipping 10% damage increase, so you are encouraged to roll, A LOT.

Pure of Voice is not only condition cleansing, but also CONDITION CONVERTION, and if that wasnt enough it applies party wide, with double effect on you. Here, let me show you how important this is; in TA there are these plants which apply a stacking poison cloud, poison increases in duration, so what do you do? You pop a shout and all that poison duration gets convered to….wait for it…. regeneration (with a converted duration based on remaining poison duration), so not only did you take away the debuff, but also applied a long lasting regen.

Valor gives you 300 toughness, coupled with Honor’s 300 vitality and 300 healing power your effective health goes up by a LOT, and if that wasnt enough, toughness is converted into precision thanks to Valor which translate to more critical chance, aka more vigor and more healing and dodge defense.

They all synergy perfectly, it is what I used to beat Liadri, her fumble and cripples were converted into Vigor AND swiftness, which is like the most totally awesome buffs agaisnt her.

Hope you learned something about guardians, Im always willing to teach newer player

this is so embarrassing it hurts. I didnt even know people are still running AH builds in pve – but such a crappy one? But if you need toughness and condition cleanses you tell everything about you anyway

to get serious: what guang said. and the build is not only bad but dumb too.

and @topic: you find the best builds at gw2guru. not here, believe me.

(edited by Cures.7451)

in Guardian

Posted by: Quin.9740

Quin.9740

I use this build both for PVE and WvW. Good both in zergs(even tier 1 melee train zergs) and small groups. Hits hard, good support and good survivability. Not sure about celestial trinkets since they have taken away the MF stat. But still a good solid build. Good in all situations without re-traiting or re-gearing.

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/guardian/?3.0|1.1g.h1|6.1g.h6|1g.71j.1g.71j.1g.71j.1g.71j.1g.71j.1g.71j|411.d1g.211.d13.311.d19.211.d13.311.d19.2s.d13|0.0.u65b.u28b.a3|4x.7|v.18.16.19.1i|e

Mighty Quin of SOR

(edited by Quin.9740)

in Guardian

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

snip boring rant

And this is why Guang is never bothered to explain himself.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

in Guardian

spoj.9672

If your going to use an AH build in pve atleast go 0/0/30/30/10. Going only 5 in virtues and radiance is such a waste. You really should have master of consecrations available as its very useful in pve.

Still AH is for unskilled or new players.

in Guardian

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

Seriously, i have been hanging around gw2guru since pre release of GW2 and tbh the only thing i have seen in there that you cant find here is some nice writeups regarding dps. Even though it took a while before some of the authors realised that their estimate of different weapons damage potential was way off.

I havent seen a single build in 12 months that i havent seen in here. At least here there are a couple of threads (FAQ primarily) that makes it a bit easier to find meta builds for different sorts of content.

Hopefully there will be a guide to dps as well, i know some blokes are trying to write one, so we also has a section for speedrunners in dungeons and burst builds in wvw.

in Guardian

Brutaly.6257

@OP
If you are into speedruns or want to finsih content as fast as you can, Guang i right. Stay away from 0/5/30/30/5.

If you dont want to retrait every time when you go from wvw to pve, 0/5/30/30/5 and 0/0/30/30/10 do work great in both types of contents.
Trust me no one will notice if you run 0/x/30/30/x as long as you know how to play, i havent gotten single complaint in the pugs im playing and when i play with my team/friends no one cares about builds when we do pve.

And despite comments likes this, there is no difference in skill based on what build you use, just a difference in perspective in how you want to play the game.
Im definitely a top tier guardian when i play and half of the time in pve i play with either AH or monks focus, why, because i like it is fun and having fun is more important than having optimal performance in a non competitive environment as pve.

in Guardian

colesy.8490

How does wanting to have fun make AH any more skillful?

In PvE it’s just a crutch trait which not only do you not need, but involves wasting 30 points in a weak trait line.

in Guardian

Posted by: tanshiniza.8629

tanshiniza.8629

@OP
If you are into speedruns or want to finsih content as fast as you can, Guang i right. Stay away from 0/5/30/30/5.

If you dont want to retrait every time when you go from wvw to pve, 0/5/30/30/5 and 0/0/30/30/10 do work great in both types of contents.
Trust me no one will notice if you run 0/x/30/30/x as long as you know how to play, i havent gotten single complaint in the pugs im playing and when i play with my team/friends no one cares about builds when we do pve.

And despite comments likes this, there is no difference in skill based on what build you use, just a difference in perspective in how you want to play the game.
Im definitely a top tier guardian when i play and half of the time in pve i play with either AH or monks focus, why, because i like it is fun and having fun is more important than having optimal performance in a non competitive environment as pve.

Well said you covered all the bases. I can understand the ‘Max DPS’ approach in games to get things done quickly with speed runs etc but that is no excuse for elitism and saying that all other builds are garbage and everyone needs to run such and such as a set-up or they’re no good.

Play the game how you want to play it and as long as you have fun who cares and. I know for a fact I can fight competitively in PvP/WvW in a fight while running AH because skill is making up for short comings and utilising the strength of what you’ve got available to you at the time.

I’ve done runs in dungeons with AH and 0/5/30/30/5 and not a single person has batted an eyelid because I keep up, deal a sizeable amount of damage, don’t die and offer acceptable support for everyone.

In PvE it’s just a crutch trait which not only do you not need, but involves wasting 30 points in a weak trait line.

I wanna know where you managed to combine having fun and skill? He never said it was more or less skillful he just said he finds it fun and if that’s the case good on him.

One of these days I should do a video of me doing PvE content with 0/5/30/30/5 and have a royal giggle with how well I’m doing despite using AH however I am lazy and also prefer PvP any day of the week.

Calm Caril – Level 80 – Guardian
“Jim’ll Fix It and if he doesn’t it’s not broken”

(edited by tanshiniza.8629)

in Guardian

Brutaly.6257

I didnt say it was more skillful! What i said was:

If its weak or not is up to each and every one. I personally think:
9% extra damage
300 armor for me
250 extra healing when using mace for the team
4-7% less damage team wide

is pretty nice and it also makes it possible to do dungeons and fractals in a much more fun fashion compared to everlasting kiting.

But it is as i wrote:

half of the time in pve i play with either AH or monks focus, why, because i like it, it is fun and having fun is more important than having optimal performance in a non competitive environment as pve.

in Guardian

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

is pretty nice and it also makes it possible to do dungeons and fractals in a much more fun fashion compared to everlasting kiting.

Those elitists don’t kite since there’s no challenging content in pve if you have a guardian(s).

in Guardian

spoj.9672

I never said people cant use it for “fun”.

I said:

Meaning is is better suited for unskilled or new players. A skilled player has absolutely no need for a crutch trait as op as AH.

in Guardian

colesy.8490

I’ve done runs in dungeons with AH and 0/5/30/30/5 and not a single person has batted an eyelid because I keep up, deal a sizeable amount of damage, don’t die and offer acceptable support for everyone.

Not a single person batted an eyelid because you were playing with weak players.

I did COE a little while ago with two people I knew and some PUGs, we advertised an experienced group and then when it came to burning down the bosses they took longer than usual. What a surprise, the PUGs weren’t properly geared when I asked for a ping. Now you or the people you play with on’t notice something like that because you don’t pay attention nor care, because simply getting through the run is good enough for you, you don’t care about doing it well (hence the use of 30 points in valour … if you cared you wouldn’t use that).

One of these days I should do a video of me doing PvE content with 0/5/30/30/5 and have a royal giggle with how well I’m doing despite using AH however I am lazy and also prefer PvP any day of the week.

You can do PvE content with a condition damage guard, doesn’t make it any good though.

I’m pretty sure you could even do a dungeon on a 0/0/0/0/0 guard.

Except … you don’t need to kite. You don’t even need to kite the rampaging ice elemental on dredge fractal and that fight is meant to have you kiting the boss.

in Guardian

Brutaly.6257

I never said people cant use it for “fun”.

I said:

Meaning is is better suited for unskilled or new players. A skilled player has absolutely no need for a crutch trait as op as AH.

Which it isnt.

Its more suited for players that enjoy that type of game play which by no means mean that they by default are unskilled or new to the game.

Do you see the difference here, you add personal values/attitudes in this and i dont. Stating thakittens for unskilled players and newcomers would have more value if you added “and for the ones enjoying a more a specific type of gameplay”.

As you put it cant see it as anything but judgmental and condescending.

in Guardian

spoj.9672

Doesnt matter how fun it is. If you’re a skilled player you dont get any use out of it. Your not going to heal if you are full hp…. It is a defensive trait and therefore more beneficial to less experienced players in pve (thats a fact). It has no use to me even if I find it fun as I dont need it and I could take something else.

(edited by spoj.9672)

in Guardian

tanshiniza.8629

Not a single person batted an eyelid because you were playing with weak players.

I did COE a little while ago with two people I knew and some PUGs, we advertised an experienced group and then when it came to burning down the bosses they took longer than usual. What a surprise, the PUGs weren’t properly geared when I asked for a ping. Now you or the people you play with on’t notice something like that because you don’t pay attention nor care, because simply getting through the run is good enough for you, you don’t care about doing it well (hence the use of 30 points in valour … if you cared you wouldn’t use that).

You can do PvE content with a condition damage guard, doesn’t make it any good though.

I’m pretty sure you could even do a dungeon on a 0/0/0/0/0 guard.

Except … you don’t need to kite. You don’t even need to kite the rampaging ice elemental on dredge fractal and that fight is meant to have you kiting the boss.

I care about doing it well as much as the next person but I’m not the type to go with the elitist fashion and say ‘Run this build or get the kitten out’ and I also said the following

“I can understand the ‘Max DPS’ approach in games to get things done quickly with speed runs etc but that is no excuse for elitism and saying that all other builds are garbage and everyone needs to run such and such as a set-up or they’re no good.”

Also what is this about weak players? Just cause someone doesn’t run a specific build doesn’t make them weak it just means they have a different play style. Weak is where you can run any build and get your kitten handed to you by a squirrel so it has nothing to do with builds.

Let me ask you this what do the people who don’t run the specific ultimate dungeon crawling build of doom do if they want to run a dungeon? Are they simply not allowed to because they are running the build? I don’t think Anet built the game with that in mind.

in Guardian

spoj.9672

They arent allowed to run with us “elitists” thats for sure. Lately ive been 3-4manning dungeons because we really dont want the hassle of bad pugs and often they slow runs down.

Obviously people are allowed to play however they want. But the fact remains AH is a defensive trait and you can use it if you want to, but if you’re a skilled player you shouldnt need it and therefore its a waste of a trait.

I should of said its for unskilled players, new players and lazy players. Or players who just like to waste their trait points.

(edited by spoj.9672)

in Guardian

tanshiniza.8629

Still not seeing where AH and skill are coming together but at least you understood the point I’m making I suppose. They’re not bad players they’re just playing in their own way and if people want to play in a certain way then they should be able to do so without being classed as ‘weak.’ Like I said I can do better than someone running the PvE build stated as long as I make use of what I got properly. That is skill.

in Guardian

colesy.8490

I care about doing it well as much as the next person but I’m not the type to go with the elitist fashion and say ‘Run this build or get the kitten out’ and I also said the following

My only rule is run a build that’s actually good. 30 points in to a junk trait line for a junk trait because you can’t play for crap isn’t my idea of good.

“I can understand the ‘Max DPS’ approach in games to get things done quickly with speed runs etc but that is no excuse for elitism and saying that all other builds are garbage and everyone needs to run such and such as a set-up or they’re no good.”

Except … it is. Dungeons in this game are so simple that not running a build that maximises your own and the group’s DPS means that it’s bad, and if you can’t handle DPS gear then you’re no good because of how easy it is to mitigate damage.

Also what is this about weak players? Just cause someone doesn’t run a specific build doesn’t make them weak it just means they have a different play style. Weak is where you can run any build and get your kitten handed to you by a squirrel so it has nothing to do with builds.

No, it means they have a weak playstyle. Unlike you, I don’t care for sugarcoating. Bad builds should be called out for being bad and phased out, just how AH builds and warrior stacking (unless wanting to just have a casual speed clear) have been phased out of experienced groups.

Let me ask you this what do the people who don’t run the specific ultimate dungeon crawling build of doom do if they want to run a dungeon? Are they simply not allowed to because they are running the build? I don’t think Anet built the game with that in mind.

What they do is run their bad build, join a group and drag them down rather than doing the proper thing and running the good build and being useful.

Reality sucks.

in Guardian

tanshiniza.8629

Reality does suck but still doesn’t change the fact you’re beating on people for not playing in a predefined way. What you say may ring for true and if you want to play that way it’s fine for you but don’t beat on other people just because they aren’t meeting your quota.

Maybe it’s because I come from a PvP perspective but skill makes up for short comings of a build any day of the week.

in Guardian

colesy.8490

I “beat on people” because I don’t understand why you would purposely play badly.

If you are in a tPvP game, you run the build you’re told to (if you’re in a guild with specific builds) because it’s for the good of the team. If you’re in a WvW guild doing a GvG, you run the build you’re asked to because it helps your guild win the fight. Why is it that in PvE running bad builds is perfectly fine, to hell with the efficiency of your party? Why do teams in PvP and WvW demanding their players run the strongest builds get hailed as good players (provided they have a good win record obviously), but people asking you to run good builds in PvE get branded elitists and told “I play how I want”?

Maybe it’s because I come from a PvP perspective but skill makes up for short comings of a build any day of the week.

No it doesn’t.

in Guardian

Brutaly.6257

I “beat on people” because I don’t understand why you would purposely play badly.

If you are in a tPvP game, you run the build you’re told to (if you’re in a guild with specific builds) because it’s for the good of the team. If you’re in a WvW guild doing a GvG, you run the build you’re asked to because it helps your guild win the fight. Why is it that in PvE running bad builds is perfectly fine, to hell with the efficiency of your party? Why do teams in PvP and WvW demanding their players run the strongest builds get hailed as good players (provided they have a good win record obviously), but people asking you to run good builds in PvE get branded elitists and told “I play how I want”?

Ofc you should be playing the build your guild wants, i dont think anyone is arguing about that.

What im arguing about is one-liners full of generalizations which also applies to pug and pve in general which just reduces the freedom of choice and innovation.

To make it short, i don’t care what builds people use in spvp, wvw or pve. I do care what builds people use when im in my team in tpvp and i might care if i still played organized in dungeons.

Pve, pug dungeons/fotm, spvp, and wvw isnt competitive so i cant force people to play my way and i think the same respect should be headed the other way.

In Tpvp and organized PvE specific builds should/could be forced upon you, in all other cases forcing people to play a specific way/build just reduces the fun for the individual and at the same time the longevity of the game.

The real answer to the question is though that all pve-centric players are bad to begin with so why even bother with optimal builds, they should be worried about playing an optimal game instead. See what i did there?

in Guardian

spoj.9672

So you agree that in a team asking for specific builds is fine. But you have a problem with people calling a specific build bad when it is. Honestly i dont mind you guys defending play how you want. But trying to argue that AH builds are good for pve is moronic. Some people need bad builds to do well but that doesnt make the build good. Also a build being fun doesnt make it good either.

(edited by spoj.9672)

in Guardian

Fortus.6175

I did COE a little while ago with two people I knew and some PUGs, we advertised an experienced group and then when it came to burning down the bosses they took longer than usual. What a surprise, the PUGs weren’t properly geared when I asked for a ping.

-elitist rant I didnt bother to read-

Elitist pr!ck here guys, nothing to see, move along :/

EDIT: I dare you to call this dude “noob” for using AH

That was for PvP. If you think AH is useless in PvE then you probably havent gotten past FoTm 19. Not only do you need it but you are encourage to not dying while pumping good damage. A dead guardian is an useless guardian. A guardian that brings no utilities and buffs is only a warrior that hits half as hard.

Please stop the elitistic comments, I think by now we can all agree that we all have different playstyles. I will later on update a CoE run with my current set up and show you how fast we run it at FULL HEALTH 90% of the time

/cheers

Legendary SoloQ

(edited by Fortus.6175)

in Guardian

spoj.9672

The elitist name calling is far more offensive than us telling you a build is bad.

in Guardian

Brutaly.6257

So you agree that in a team asking for specific builds is fine. But you have a problem with people calling a specific build bad when it is. Honestly i dont mind you guys defending play how you want. But trying to argue that AH builds are good for pve is moronic. Some people need bad builds to do well but that doesnt make the build good. Also a build being fun doesnt make it good either.

Ofc im fine with that.

Once again what im not fine with is that stating a build is for bad players, not that a build is bad in a certain situation. Arguement like those just narrows down the freedom of choice and the fun in the game.

Read in a previous post, i was pretty clear that i dont find AH to be optimal in certain pve groups.

Ofc fun makes something good. Its a game, and a non competitive one, its all about fun. The thing is, which seems pretty difficult to understand, is that the fun/optimal build isnt for you and me to decide. It all depends on what perspective you measure success in the game.

The elitist name calling is far more offensive than us telling you a build is bad.

I agree, it brings nothing positive to the discussio.n

in Guardian

Fortus.6175

Im sorry but there is literally no other way to calling you.

Let me paraphrase something I read on Urban Dictionary once, I wont bother to post the current definitions there now because they are very offensive and unnecesary;

“Elitist: (Gaming)

A person who disregards available options which he deems as suboptimal and enforces his view usually in a very violent and offensive manner. They disregard anything that could prove them wrong and are more than willing to critizice players by subjecting them to ‘ping gear’, sometimes leading to heavy vocal discharges and even kicking"

As you can see, every point there you elitist people fit.

Im by no mean a new player, Im well aware of DPS builds that go with the 1h sword randiance 30 points, Im well aware of meditation builds, shout builds, etc. I tried them all, I found that the most fun for me came from being somewhat tanky, giving buffs, healing it off since Im always in the front line and above all; never hold my team back in DPS. Basically I hit almos as hard as anyone else but I gave up some burst for the sake of keeping everyone alive, including myself, fully buffed so that in the long run our DPS is greater, less time ressing (if needed) and more having fun.

AH is NOT bound to skills, I beat liadri with an AH build and a Shout build, both worked perfectly, both are functional. In PvE sure it is nice to clear everything really fast but I personally dont have fun hacking away at a boss with a 1h sword, thats not what i had intended when I picked guardian, otherwise I would have gone fo Warrior who is just as effective, if not more.

Hope that helps, sorry if you get offended but that is on your side, not mine, you are the one tht have to recognize that you are being an elitist, calling people bad players usually leads to that as well. keep that in mind for the future, it can make or break “friends”

Legendary SoloQ

in Guardian

spoj.9672

If you think AH is useless in PvE then you probably havent gotten past FoTm 19. Not only do you need it but you are encourage to not dying while pumping good damage. A dead guardian is an useless guardian. A guardian that brings no utilities and buffs is only a warrior that hits half as hard.

Please stop the elitistic comments, I think by now we can all agree that we all have different playstyles. I will later on update a CoE run with my current set up and show you how fast we run it at FULL HEALTH 90% of the time

/cheers

Before I stopped doing fractals I was regularly doing 38 with me as a beserker guardian with 2-3 zerk warriors, 1 zerk necro and 0-1 zerk mesmer. There are people who run fractal 79 with no guardians. The only reason to take one is because they make things so faceroll with so many reflects, blocks and blinds and you dont need AH to do that. Just build to do solid damage while also having the op ability to block key attacks and stop projectiles. When you get to higher levels you get 1shot by pretty much everything so dps is the only thing you should be worrying about along with damage avoidance (blinds, reflects, aegis, evades).

I run coe all the time and whoever takes the guard in the group is always running a dps zerker build. No one goes below full – 90% hp unless they screw up and I guarantee its considerably faster than your runs.

(edited by spoj.9672)

in Guardian

spoj.9672

Im sorry but there is literally no other way to calling you.

Let me paraphrase something I read on Urban Dictionary once, I wont bother to post the current definitions there now because they are very offensive and unnecesary;

“Elitist: (Gaming)

A person who disregards available options which he deems as suboptimal and enforces his view usually in a very violent and offensive manner. They disregard anything that could prove them wrong and are more than willing to critizice players by subjecting them to ‘ping gear’, sometimes leading to heavy vocal discharges and even kicking"

As you can see, every point there you elitist people fit.

Very few of us force our opinions or act aggressively. We just inform and put things bluntly. Most of us are trying to help by providing info about how to run things most effectively and why other methods are less effective. I see more casual players disregard “elitist” posts then elitists disregarding other info. “Elitist” players generally test things out and try to do the best they can so they have a much better standing for providing valid info.

A great example is all the casual players coming into the dungeon forum and complaining about TAFU. They completely disregard the advice given to them on how to complete the encounter and cry for nerfs. Even when provided with videos of doing the fight naked, with no reflects or with really odd party compositions. They claim were all elitists because we do it with reflects or w/e and its not fair on other classes or their “play how I want” builds. Its simply an issue of them refusing to adapt to the situation. You get thieves and eles complaining about not having a guard to get them through it (both thief and ele have projectile blocks).

(edited by spoj.9672)

in Guardian

Fortus.6175

If you think AH is useless in PvE then you probably havent gotten past FoTm 19. Not only do you need it but you are encourage to not dying while pumping good damage. A dead guardian is an useless guardian. A guardian that brings no utilities and buffs is only a warrior that hits half as hard.

/cheers

Before I stopped doing fractals I was regularly doing 38 with me as a beserker guardian with 2-3 zerk warriors, 1 zerk necro and 0-1 zerk mesmer. There are people who run fractal 79 with no guardians. When you get to higher levels you get 1shot by pretty much everything so dps is the only thing you should be worrying about along with damage avoidance (blinds, reflects, aegis, evades).

I run coe all the time and whoever takes the guard in the group is always running a dps zerker build. No one goes below full – 90% hp unless they screw up and I guarantee its considerably faster than your runs.

. I havent gotten past FOTM 46 running GS/Scepter focus. I have full zerker gear despite my 0/5/30/30/5 build, because I already have 45% crit chance I dont think I need more from traits, 30% crit increase for a total of 110% sure is good. I already have plenty of damage multipliers. AH is there because despite what anyone can say, you CANT dodge everything. I know CoE by memory now and every now and then the boss gives me a hug. In TA more often than not I get focused 80% of the time so I like to not be a hindrance to anyone by having them revive me.

Perhaps your CoE are faster than mine, I dont deny it. But you see, you burn content. My pace is maybe 1-2 minutes longer, but I had fun by hacking away with weapons I wanted. Perhaps you enjoy sword, I dont. It is a matter of taste.

People tend to forget this is a game, not a job, I have enough stress already to have someone in a game to tell me what to do as well. Some traits are more forgiving than others, some traits are more rewarding than others, it is personal taste what matters here. If you want to have a 1 minute shorter run at expense of having nearly no fun (read intrinsic vs extrinsic fun, you will see what Im talking about when it comes about the rewards of dungeons and actually doing the dungeo) then it is not worth it for me.

Legendary SoloQ

(edited by Fortus.6175)

in Guardian

colesy.8490

To make it short, i don’t care what builds people use in spvp, wvw or pve. I do care what builds people use when im in my team in tpvp and i might care if i still played organized in dungeons.

Pve, pug dungeons/fotm, spvp, and wvw isnt competitive so i cant force people to play my way and i think the same respect should be headed the other way.

You’re saying running a build counter to the group/team’s purpose (winning the fight/defeating the zerg/clearing the dungeon) is respectful? Showing disregard for the good of the team is respect?

No, it’s not. It’s called leeching. It’s why people don’t like having mesmers in pvp (they aren’t meta enough), don’t like having zerkers in zergs (rally bots) and why non-zerkers in dungeons is so irritating, they all have one thing in common: they don’t contribute as much to the group effort as a different, better playstyle would.

The real answer to the question is though that all pve-centric players are bad to begin with so why even bother with optimal builds, they should be worried about playing an optimal game instead. See what i did there?

No, I have no idea what you just said.

Elitist pr!ck here guys, nothing to see, move along :/

EDIT: I dare you to call this dude “noob” for using AH

Way to talk about completely the wrong game mode I never said AH is bad in WvW or PvP.

Also, as a gesture of goodwill I’m not even going to report your post despite the fact that bad players report mine all the time (16 infractions and counting) just for disagreeing with them.

That was for PvP. If you think AH is useless in PvE then you probably havent gotten past FoTm 19. Not only do you need it but you are encourage to not dying while pumping good damage. A dead guardian is an useless guardian. A guardian that brings no utilities and buffs is only a warrior that hits half as hard.

Actually I have gotten past fractal 19, and AH guardians aren’t needed basically ever. Some 500HP heal isn’t going to save you from one-shots, reflects, blinds, dodges and blocks do.

You do realise zerkers do as well? It’s why they have scholar runes in their armour because they’re able to keep their HP above 90% for all/most of a fight giving them 10%+ damage.

in Guardian

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Seriously, i have been hanging around gw2guru since pre release of GW2 and tbh the only thing i have seen in there that you cant find here is some nice writeups regarding dps. Even though it took a while before some of the authors realised that their estimate of different weapons damage potential was way off.

I havent seen a single build in 12 months that i havent seen in here. At least here there are a couple of threads (FAQ primarily) that makes it a bit easier to find meta builds for different sorts of content.

Hopefully there will be a guide to dps as well, i know some blokes are trying to write one, so we also has a section for speedrunners in dungeons and burst builds in wvw.

There is a compilation of meta builds on Guru. It’s my post history.

H E H

in Guardian

Brutaly.6257

And that compilation (guardian-guide-index?) brings nothing new except that they have a better pve dps chapter which this forum miss.

There are also a couple of bad builds over there as well and some valid builds are also missing.

Considering how few that actually are in those forum today its a waste and if i where the author i would focus on publishing them here instead. I for one would vividly support making them stickies because they would really add value here. Not for me, but for the dps centric pve crowd i think it would be a great contribution.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

This is a very popular build in PvE, works wonders in dungeons, doesnt work too much in big zergs in WvW but in small skirmishes it is really strong

I adopted it because of how well self sustain you are while providing condition convertions while pumping insane damage!

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/guardian/?3.0|1.5g.h2|6.1c.h2|1g.a5.1g.a5.1g.a5.1g.a5.1g.a5.1g.a5|2s.0.2s.0.3s.0.2s.0.3s.0.1g.67|0.5.u64b.u29b.5|0.0|0.0.0.0.0|e

basically it is 0/5/30/30/5 focusing on Pure of Voice for conditions to boons convertions and AH for self healing, full zerker gear with some valkiry or knight as needed, personally I run it with some knight armor and valkiry weapons with full zerker trinkets.

pretty much 1 out of 2 hits are crits and they hit really high, survivability comes from the 1:1 healing power of the dodges and perma vigor, coupled with AH proccing from pretty much EVERYTHING you do.

Hope it helps, for some more WvW focused builds I think soldiers with more into x/x/x/30/20-+ but that isnt my field.

Isnt the build to short in health, link shows 10k hp btw thats way to short in WvW, some skills can take almost the double of that health if requirements are met and this is on guardians wit protection and 3.3k+ armor.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.