why do YOU play guardian ^^??

in Guardian

Posted by: Abraxius.6429

Abraxius.6429

Sorry if there is already a thread for this, but just wanted to make a topic for general discussion for our class.

So what are your reasons for rolling a guard (especially those that main it such as myself)? Just wanted thoughts of what it is about the guardian that brought u into the class. What does the guardian do that sets it apart from the other classes in your opinion, and what is ur favorite play style e.g(bunker,cleric/medic,balanced/roamer,DPS,)

1. I decided to roll guardian cause i have always loved heavy armor medics characters(such as paladins/white knights) and also loved being that support character that ppl realize is essential to any situation. Also i was drawn into the other things such as weapon capabilties i <3 shields lol if i had my way we would be able to dual wield tower shields and also dual lances, and maces are one of my fav one handed weapon choices even above sword. I was also impressed with a-nets version of a “focus” and how it is wielded with the guardian. Another reason is i love melee characters that wield mana/magic, so when i found all of these points were rolled up into one character i was head over heels for this class ^^.

2. The Thing that i think makes guards set apart is the playstyle of the class i have never seen a class that having even only 1 guardian can change the tide of battle with there heals/cleanses/numerous buffs/blocks etc. Guardians are also as i see them in my personal view are the defenders of justice and as i play in D&D i always play a Lawful good character when possible. They just offer so much to there teammates thakittens easy to see you hard work come to fruition. To finish as u can guess i love playing a battle medic class as this game doesn’t have a dedicated cleric class this is as close as u can get lol, well that’s about all i can think of right now how to get some opinions from you guys.

The Lawful Danyyle
(Reality is Unbalanced)

(edited by Abraxius.6429)

in Guardian

Posted by: Rhogall.4179

Rhogall.4179

Because I like my midget \o/

Kidding aside: the guardian embodies everything I look for in a character
- Heavy armor
- Melee (with big weapons)
- Magic (healing is magic, mmmmkay?)

It’s just missing the pets aspect I also normally look for (yeah yeah, summoned weaps, but they’re a bit lackluster).

So yeah, that’s why

P.S.: it will surprise no one that I played a death knight in WoW :P

Tezz The Relentless – Vertically Challenged Guardian
Ilario Ciarenni – Mesmerizing Human Mesmer
[TEO] The Exalted Ones

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

For the Bubbles dude! Blue bubbles!

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Guardian

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

Because it was the easiest class to level as a newb.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kjeldoran.3849

Kjeldoran.3849

bubble… i dont know why guardian=bubble… everywhere xd

anyway i play guardian because i like to play FOR a party, give my support and damage, ofc, for JUSTICE and GLORY (ok this was a bit excessive XD)

in Guardian

Abraxius.6429

^ now it all suddenly makes sense :O!!

The Lawful Danyyle
(Reality is Unbalanced)

in Guardian

Posted by: Nime.2089

Nime.2089

I mainly play WvW/Dungeons/Fractals and feel that I can really bring a difference to a group when I am running the Guardian. I don’t know how many times I prevented my Teammates to get stomped by Banishing the stomper away, or even down a cliff. Or running through an entire enemy Zerg without them getting me lower than 50% hp (this beeing a very big Zerg…) due to Block/Invuln/Blinds etc. I love beeing in a dungeon realizing my whole team got wiped and I still have 75% of my hp left and can kill those stupid Vine’s on my own due to perma protection + retal while using my awsome Hammer.
To summ it up; I can take quite a beating while dishing out some dmg myself and play a very important part in a team.

Legen….waitforit…..DARY!

in Guardian

Abraxius.6429

I mainly play WvW/Dungeons/Fractals and feel that I can really bring a difference to a group when I am running the Guardian. I don’t know how many times I prevented my Teammates to get stomped by Banishing the stomper away, or even down a cliff. Or running through an entire enemy Zerg without them getting me lower than 50% hp (this beeing a very big Zerg…) due to Block/Invuln/Blinds etc. I love beeing in a dungeon realizing my whole team got wiped and I still have 75% of my hp left and can kill those stupid Vine’s on my own due to perma protection + retal while using my awsome Hammer.
To summ it up; I can take quite a beating while dishing out some dmg myself and play a very important part in a team.

Legen….waitforit…..DARY!

all i can say is “lol”

The Lawful Danyyle
(Reality is Unbalanced)

in Guardian

Posted by: Tinni.4351

Tinni.4351

I used to be a monk, nuff said.

Seriously, I have no idea. Back during the beta weekend I tried a lot of the classes. Only class I didn’t try (and still don’t have) is warrior. Guardian was the last class tried and it just made me go “Yep, this is it. This is the class for me”, which is odd because generally I avoid melee like the plague! But there is something about running around with hammer and sending people flying while being all “here, have healz” that makes it all awesome!

My brain is shagging under the weight of changes… having six characters was not a good idea!

in Guardian

Posted by: Nime.2089

Nime.2089

all i can say is “lol”

Well I know it does not always exactly happen as described. But it can. And those are the moments one memorizes when thinking “why exactly am I doing this?”…

in Guardian

Posted by: matemaster.2168

matemaster.2168

My first char. in GW2 was human engineer. But at level 27 I’ve realized that Norns are way cooler than Humans and the engineer itself wasnt what I wanted to play.

So I’ve relroled Norn then I found out that I never played paladin like (holy warrior) heavy armor class ever in my previous MMORPG’s so I have rolled guardian and I love it still at lvl 80 full exo, ascended gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Blasino.3128

Blasino.3128

Because Anet does not give us meaningful nerfs, continue to slowly fix our bugs, and gives us nice little buffs here and there.

I’m not sure if that can be said for any of the other professions out there. GW2 life has been pretty dramatic for them.

Uturunku Yana, Guardian / Chullachaqui Yana, Engie
Group Stability is a hell of a Drug – Rick James
vT

in Guardian

Posted by: Gary.7105

Gary.7105

I play a guardian because it’s the only character I can stay alive with LOL.

in Guardian

Abraxius.6429

I used to be a monk, nuff said.

But there is something about running around with hammer and sending people flying while being all “here, have healz” that makes it all awesome!

OK SAY THIS MADE ME ROFL LEGIT XD u sir have won the internet. take it take my +1 and go

The Lawful Danyyle
(Reality is Unbalanced)

in Guardian

Posted by: Mooncutter.2907

Mooncutter.2907

If only all my problems could be solved in flashy, climactic battles.

in Guardian

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

I was never going to make a guardian. Then one day I was running around Fireheart Rise with my thief and teamed up with a level 80 guardian. Watched how he was using the class and was impressed at how sustainable he was. The next day I created my guard and never really looked back. Now I have 4 level 80’s but my guardian is always my go to. I have almost 1k hours playing him.

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

in Guardian

Posted by: Hicci.8761

Hicci.8761

Because we can do anything and our skills look awesome.

in Guardian

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

I was never going to make a guardian. Then one day I was running around Fireheart Rise with my thief and teamed up with a level 80 guardian. Watched how he was using the class and was impressed at how sustainable he was. The next day I created my guard and never really looked back. Now I have 4 level 80’s but my guardian is always my go to. I have almost 1k hours playing him.

I was also inspired by an awesome guardian in CM one night. Made my guardian and now barely touch the other characters.

in Guardian

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Whirling wrath
//

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in Guardian

Posted by: Brun.4051

Brun.4051

My first character was a Ranger and although I still like playing my ranger here and there I just don’t find it viable for my play style. I love the concept but had to move onto a thief, which is my first 80. I like playing him every now and then as a gunslinger but I felt he lacked what I was looking for, for group play.

Alas onto my now 50 guardian which I love. It has the whole package rolled into one. It is now my new main and I am not looking back.

in Guardian

Abraxius.6429

well welcome to the guard community ^^ u are literally my twin i have 3 classes lol ranger/thief/ and my main guard all 80’s

The Lawful Danyyle
(Reality is Unbalanced)

in Guardian

Posted by: Brun.4051

Brun.4051

I wasn’t able to get my ranger to 80 before I moved on. Only got up to 62 but after I get my guardian to 80 and I have some free te I will probably finish up those last 18 levels.

in Guardian

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

It was my first class because i assumed it could be played like paladins from WoW. Its my most favourite because of the hyge range of support it can offer while being tanky and pushing good dmg at the same time.

in Guardian

Abraxius.6429

lol i still want to be able to wield lances in this game XD

The Lawful Danyyle
(Reality is Unbalanced)

in Guardian

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

Binding Blades + Ring of Warding…

&

BANISH

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

Binding Blades + Ring of Warding…

&

BANISH

any of the above, mixed in with Judge’s Intervention.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Tarsius.3170

Tarsius.3170

I remember first watching the guardian skill videos – having spirit weapons looked so cool (hoho)

Warhaft Tarsius – Asura Guardian ( Desolation ) – [NUKE]
Guardian FAQ · BUGS · HEALING

in Guardian

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

Blue fire. And I played a Ret Pally in WoW.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

in Guardian

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

I remember first watching the guardian skill videos – having spirit weapons looked so cool (hoho)

Yep, it looked good on a “paper”.

in Guardian

akamon.2769

oh yea, spirit weapons! i remember looking up the professions specifics before release and was deciding between warrior and guardian. and then i saw spirit weapons. droooooool.

can’t believe i forgot about ’em. :///

[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

I thought Zealot’s Defense and Shield of Absorption were the coolest skill videos.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

in Guardian

Posted by: Tarsius.3170

Tarsius.3170

Yeah I loved the look of ZD too.

… if you think scepter orbs are still slow, just look what they used to be like…
and a Flashing Blade that does damage.
and a cool skin for Spirit Hammer.

Warhaft Tarsius – Asura Guardian ( Desolation ) – [NUKE]
Guardian FAQ · BUGS · HEALING

in Guardian

akamon.2769

those were crazy slow. did they looked bigger as well? and OHKOs! XDDD
and no CD on ZD loll

oh mang.
i didn’t play during beta, so only headstart for me.. but wow, it’s almost gonna be a year!DD snap, thanks for the post, Tarsius, and the mentions, Chris. these bringing back memories lol

[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

(edited by akamon.2769)

in Guardian

Posted by: Bamjam.2046

Bamjam.2046

From the first day i started GW2 i knew i wanted to focus on WvW so i chose guardian.
Guardian makes for an awesome commander class. I stay alive really long, can absorb lots of damage and have acces to different cc and group buffs.
I tried playing alts in WvW or any other aspects of the game but i just cant lvl more than like lvl 10 and delete them to go play guard again.

in Guardian

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

Great survivability even with dps setups. I really like to just hit a dungeon and go toe to toe with targets and live. First 80 was a thief, second was a guard and the difference in ease of play was huge. Playing a Guard is like taking the scenic shortcut to dungeon tokens.

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

in Guardian

Posted by: PokerTuna.6170

PokerTuna.6170

I always main mage/elementalist then paladin/monk. Since elementalist in GW2 is nothing compared to GW1 elementalist I mained guardian. I’m kinda sad that I can’t shine in all this micro-management but I find weapon choices for ele underwhelming/simply wrong. In WvW ur either ranged or melee, nothing in between. I can’t switch weapons during fight so I HAVE to be either d/d or staff and I like to have a choice. + in GW1 I could tank anything with ele, now I have to move, move, move. I like to move, but I also like to stand still for a while.

guardian is awesome tho ( only scepter seems… not so guardian-ish )

in Guardian

Posted by: Vagelis.9562

Vagelis.9562

i like blue lights and crap … yup

Revive Tybalt Leftpaw, only guy obsessed with sth other than Dragons Zombies or outrunning centaurs

in Guardian

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

Because mystic knights totally suited the Arthurian themes of the Sylvari, who were my favourite race at launch. It helps that they have turned out to be one of the most balanced and useful classes in the game as well.

in Guardian

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

Wanted to give my guild team some sustain in a fight.

Gate of Madness

in Guardian

Abraxius.6429

Hmm some great reasons glad to see this community alive and well ^^ i go to some other class forums and they’re just dead lol

The Lawful Danyyle
(Reality is Unbalanced)

in Guardian

Posted by: Jax.5261

Jax.5261

The same reason anybody would play Guard:
Chix dig Guards.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ebony.5738

Ebony.5738

Binding Blade……….

Verdánt

in Guardian

Abraxius.6429

The same reason anybody would play Guard:
Chix dig Guards.

^How could i have been so blind

Attachments:

The Lawful Danyyle
(Reality is Unbalanced)

in Guardian

Posted by: jalmari.3906

jalmari.3906

wanted to look cool while using spirit weapons… now if that would be also useful in general..

my advise: don’t play guardian with current balance go for anything else until they make guardian op again.

Guardian 80 Necromancer 80 Ranger 80 Mesmer 80 Elementalist 80 Warrior 80

in Guardian

Posted by: Eltocliousus.2461

Eltocliousus.2461

Heavy armour but with a more unique play style and look than warrior.

Alistair Gonling

in Guardian

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

I used to play as a battle mage in The Elder Scrolls games (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim)
and when Guardian was announced I knew that class is made for me.
Heavy armor and magic (both effensive and defensive) and all the thing

Support bunker
(and lastly my friend who is playing as dps guadian is everytime repeating that I finnally found my way to play this game that suits me prefectly )

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Guardian

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Figured as of getting my Thief and Engie to 80, I may as well make of the Master Class to use if things get serious.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Guardian

Posted by: Periclitor.1892

Periclitor.1892

Because i wanted to play front line that deals less damage than every other class in the game with tied lowest health pool with thief’s and elementalist.

And rely on my boons that get stolen or turned into condition.

Only so i can have traits to overwrite my friends 25 stacks of might or why not follow the guardian way and play defensive support with meditation that heals …. me, or giving boons heals, once again only me.

Oh well, atleast i got retaliation dealing 150 – 300 damage to enemies striking me for 6k damage. Oh wait, that is a boon. Nevermind.

Well atleast we still got wall of reflection to do something awesome with, guess they are going to give it some more love aswell soon.

Periclltor – Guardian
Account and Char® name could
be the same, Profanity!?

in Guardian

Abraxius.6429

Because i wanted to play front line that deals less damage than every other class in the game with tied lowest health pool with thief’s and elementalist.

And rely on my boons that get stolen or turned into condition.

Only so i can have traits to overwrite my friends 25 stacks of might or why not follow the guardian way and play defensive support with meditation that heals …. me, or giving boons heals, once again only me.

Oh well, atleast i got retaliation dealing 150 – 300 damage to enemies striking me for 6k damage. Oh wait, that is a boon. Nevermind.

Well atleast we still got wall of reflection to do something awesome with, guess they are going to give it some more love aswell soon.

You can write a hate mail like this for EVERY class as well :P. Pro and Cons every class has em, pointing out things we already know wont make us like them any less, how bout mentioning things like a “dodge heal” and a “healing auto attack” with mace and GS if traited to go along with our passive regen virtue, not just heals how about the amount of blocks/blinds we have, I love watching a thief spam his heartseeker just to be absorbed by my focus shield+Aegis and watching him run out of initiative while u took 0 damage XD. Not to forget all of our available cleanses if made for it, also u gain life for every boon u give your allies around, wish we had access to decent amount of boons that would be amazing oh wait we called BUFF BOTS for a reason.

The Lawful Danyyle
(Reality is Unbalanced)

in Guardian

Posted by: Blasino.3128

Blasino.3128

Abraxius, he might be a masochistic.

“I love being a guardian because I hate it and its painful to play. Give me more!”

Uturunku Yana, Guardian / Chullachaqui Yana, Engie
Group Stability is a hell of a Drug – Rick James
vT