Another main hand weapon would be fun

in Mesmer

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

3s immobilisation? lol, as if people don’t hate mesmer enough already, we’d just get hit with the nerf bat again :’(

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

I’ll plead for mainhand Focus allday errday.

I could easily see Mesmer, Rangers, Thieves and maybe Necros using a Whip.

Could see Mesmer, Elementalists, Necros, Rangers, and Engineers using Chakrams.

I’m a martial artist, so I’m a bit biased, but I’d love to see a hand-to-hand style (I know it’d prolly be more of a 2h style than mainhand but still…) Could see it for
-Warriors (Heavy hits & grapples)
-Elementalists (well dagger-dagger kind stole all my unarmed ideas, but still…)
-Mesmer (I’m lying, I can’t.. but we got a Greatsword so anything is possible. Maybe something tai-chi ish or an art based on deception and acrobatics like Capoeira)
-Thieves (Something kungkittenrelated.)

Or, you know, a straight up monk class would be nice.. but that’s a request for a different thread.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

3s immobilisation? lol, as if people don’t hate mesmer enough already, we’d just get hit with the nerf bat again :’(

Pin Down is 3sec immobilize with 6 stacks of long * bleeding lol i think they can do something like that for mez, especially if its 600 range.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I’d like to put forth my main hand shield idea again. Especially as a ranged 1h power weapon to go alone with GS.

in Mesmer

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I’d like to put forth my main hand shield idea again. Especially as a ranged 1h power weapon to go alone with GS.

I would LOVE a shield. The trouble would be as to how you could make it fit Mesmer. Hell with the fact that Greatsword is a range weapon they could do something insane/different for Mesmer

I would LOVE a skill that THROWS a Illusional version of the Shield at targets (like Mirror Blade) that bounces between targets inflicting them with random conditions and creates a Clone/Illusion that does some Shield charge

The 5th (or 2nd) skill would create An illusion that creates a Feedback bubble around the Illusion that reflects all projectiles that are that way. Another option would be a similar skill like the iWarden – the iGuardian (placement name lol) sends out shield blasts in all directions dealing damage and causing confusion to all targets hit

in Mesmer

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

Would love a whip or a flail or something like that – quick, disorienting weaponry. As for duelling and such, dagger works very well for that as well. Dagger/knife duels is hardly an uncommon concept, if being that literal in the word. I would also like pistol for main hand.

I also think this weapon should have some AoE capability, because both scepter and sword are very singletarget despite the illusion of sword being good for cleaving. We just have so low auto damage that it’s kind of a very minor point there, and it roots us while also being a more defensive move in nature. And it would simply be fun to have a good offensive AoE option that is onehanded.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I would LOVE a shield. The trouble would be as to how you could make it fit Mesmer. Hell with the fact that Greatsword is a range weapon they could do something insane/different for Mesmer

I would LOVE a skill that THROWS a Illusional version of the Shield at targets (like Mirror Blade) that bounces between targets inflicting them with random conditions and creates a Clone/Illusion that does some Shield charge

The 5th (or 2nd) skill would create An illusion that creates a Feedback bubble around the Illusion that reflects all projectiles that are that way. Another option would be a similar skill like the iWarden – the iGuardian (placement name lol) sends out shield blasts in all directions dealing damage and causing confusion to all targets hit

We’d probably get something like the Aetherblade Thumper’s bounce-daze but it would have a chance at daze instead of 100% daze because that kitten is op.

in Mesmer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

We’d probably get something like the Aetherblade Thumper’s bounce-daze but it would have a chance at daze instead of 100% daze because that kitten is op.

The fact that the Shield already has a Illusionary Shield skin means that it would sit perfect, though that Entropy Hammer looks SICK as well…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Taffy Catt.2784

Taffy Catt.2784

I wouldn’t mind some Ninja throwing-stars as an alternative MH…. maybe with a whip OH.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

MH focus all the way…
Skill 1 is basically Lightning Whip, but pink and full of butterflies. Inflicts weakness.
Skill 2 is basically Death Blossom without the bleeds and a clone is generated that uses Skill 1.
Skill 3 is basically Drake’s Breath and damages and dazes opponents for the duration (like a squawking Moa). Pink and full of butterflies of course

Gandara

in Mesmer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

MH focus all the way…
Skill 1 is basically Lightning Whip, but pink and full of butterflies. Inflicts weakness.
Skill 2 is basically Death Blossom without the bleeds and a clone is generated that uses Skill 1.
Skill 3 is basically Drake’s Breath and damages and dazes opponents for the duration (like a squawking Moa). Pink and full of butterflies of course

But…but Focus skins suck, other then Anomaly but thats insanely expensive.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Don’t forget Bloodseeker. That one’s stylish.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: Elwood.8347

Elwood.8347

Alright…here is the rub. Getting another main hand on Mesmer, while awesome, would require major rebalancing in a short period, and every mesmer would be throwing money at the TP or in the appropriate craft to get it on their character and playing with it. Adding brand spanking new weapons would be an entirely new thing, and cause all sorts of havoc on the economy.

That said, Chakrams would be a lovely addition as MH and OH, with a variety of skills that can confuse and befuddle the opposition. Particularly if you have a skill that let’s you play catch with your clone while throwing them. What I want more of…is Torment. That is a condition I fell in love with almost immediately, and found that combining it with heavy stacks of confusion results in a lot of damage (Thus I have no issues with Scepter’s slowness).

Another ideal weapon for a swashbuckling duelist type profession already within the game…is nothing we got really. A good off hand would be a shield, kinda like a buckler. See, what really sets Mesmer apart is that is has so many off hand options compared to main hand. Much like a fencer has simply his blade, the fencer could also have a cloak, another sword, a pistol, a shield, or anything to help in his fight against his foe. Mesmer’s already have this lovely function. Tossing in the magical aspects with Staff, Scepter, Focus, we don’t need much more. Greatsword was the weird one already.

What I would like to see is more reliable AoE. We have our phantasms that can do it (iZerk) and our bouncing techniques, then Chaos Storm. Beyond that, there is not a lot of AoE on a Mesmer. To that effect of a more “tricky” type class, as the Mesmer is the magic equivalent of a Thief, we need something that can focus on being deceptively long range. Dagger comes to mind, but so does Mace.

Much like the Greatsword in being deceptively long range, the mace’s attacks would have emphasis on range and keeping it that way. I also think it should be the only one handed main hand weapon to be able to generate a phantasm instead of a clone because of this. The auto attack would utilize range by having the strike animation be a burst of psionic energy, akin to the types of attacks we have now. Being a three hit combo, the final hit causing confusion, or every hit causing it for a short duration. The second skill would be similar to mind stab from GS, though it would instead be a giant mace head. It would inflict cripple and vulnerability upon impact, and have great burst damage. The third skill would be the phantasm generator, though it would initially behave like one of the clone generators, with an extra effect on movement. At close range, you would smack the target after a brief cast time of ~ 1.75s then BURROW, leaving a phantasm that is defensive, using the guardian skill to block attacks and do a burst AoE counter damage OR protection. Burrow gives Invuln for a second, but it is unique and give the user freedom to determine where they are going to show up. Kinda like Ele Mist form, only a lot short. It would have a pretty heft cooldown, but still.

Then Mesmer would have the discoball!

[Eredon Terrace] – Phantom of [Lord]
Rei Izumo – Mesmer, Tailor, Artificer, Gemcrafter, Chef, Noble, Magister

in Mesmer

Posted by: Freedan.1769

Freedan.1769

Alright…here is the rub. Getting another main hand on Mesmer, while awesome, would require major rebalancing in a short period, and every mesmer would be throwing money at the TP or in the appropriate craft to get it on their character and playing with it. Adding brand spanking new weapons would be an entirely new thing, and cause all sorts of havoc on the economy.

Another ideal weapon for a swashbuckling duelist type profession already within the game…is nothing we got really. A good off hand would be a shield, kinda like a buckler. See, what really sets Mesmer apart is that is has so many off hand options compared to main hand. Much like a fencer has simply his blade, the fencer could also have a cloak, another sword, a pistol, a shield, or anything to help in his fight against his foe. Mesmer’s already have this lovely function. Tossing in the magical aspects with Staff, Scepter, Focus, we don’t need much more. Greatsword was the weird one already.

What I would like to see is more reliable AoE. We have our phantasms that can do it (iZerk) and our bouncing techniques, then Chaos Storm. Beyond that, there is not a lot of AoE on a Mesmer. To that effect of a more “tricky” type class, as the Mesmer is the magic equivalent of a Thief, we need something that can focus on being deceptively long range. Dagger comes to mind, but so does Mace.

Much like the Greatsword in being deceptively long range, the mace’s attacks would have emphasis on range and keeping it that way.

To answer some of these comments (note I do not dislike any comments here but wanted to address them):

Mesmers have struggled to use something that is not a clone factory like the scepter or a melee weapon like the sword. They have tons of cool options with off-hand weapons, but they are horribly matched against the clone-factory of the scepter or the forced melee use of the sword. This is not a balancing issue so match as a compatibility issue, neither weapon is compatible really with most build choices mesmer’s use in combat. That is why people get strung up on the mainhand pistol. Since its a power weapon, pistol would be awesome mainhand for burst and DPS build choices which have sorely been lacking in the one-handed weapons category. About the economy. Adding weapons is a given from what has been announced, we ARE getting them so the economy thrown into chaos sounds like political crybaby talk. Too afraid to accept new stuff? I embrace it so stop crying wolf because some balancing will have to be done, that’s being lame.

You stated after that we have no good swashbuckling type weapon. That is neither here nor there and I don’t really think of a mesmer as a swashbuckler, he is an illusionary mage which is not the same archetype and is not treated the same. Using that as an argument against additional weapons (which we have been promised recently making your argument a straw man argument logically anyways) just detracts from adding new ideas.

AoE is an issue that has plagued mesmers since day one, all the way back to GW1. Since loot is tagged based on being able to hit the monster, this hurts mesmers horribly in everything, pvp, pve, wvw, name it. We don’t get loot drops or credit like other classes who can spam area damage spells so I agree with you on this comment.

I am not sure why you focus on mace, because this is very much a martial weapon and matches the mesmer style worse than any weapon except the hammer. I am not against new weapons by any means, but a mace is a melee weapon even more than a sword is for a mesmer; I have no desire to see ANOTHER melee weapon. I will live with it if it happens and use it too, but I could think of far worthier weapons (lets face it, by sheer numbers of requester’s we know this is mainhand pistol, followed by maybe focus or dagger). For myself I want pistol as it would feel full circle and match the archetype as much as it does thief at least for me. Something that offers another stealth weapon skill even with a longish cooldown I feel is ideal for mesmer but either way I am looking forward to seeing a new trait line which is going to be hugely interesting to see the new combinations available.

(edited by Freedan.1769)

in Mesmer

Elwood.8347

To answer some of these comments (note I do not dislike any comments here but wanted to address them):

Mesmers have struggled to use something that is not a clone factory like the scepter or a melee weapon like the sword. They have tons of cool options with off-hand weapons, but they are horribly matched against the clone-factory of the scepter or the forced melee use of the sword. This is not a balancing issue so match as a compatibility issue, neither weapon is compatible really with most build choices mesmer’s use in combat. That is why people get strung up on the mainhand pistol. Since its a power weapon, pistol would be awesome mainhand for burst and DPS build choices which have sorely been lacking in the one-handed weapons category. About the economy. Adding weapons is a given from what has been announced, we ARE getting them so the economy thrown into chaos sounds like political crybaby talk. Too afraid to accept new stuff? I embrace it so stop crying wolf because some balancing will have to be done, that’s being lame.

I am not sure why you focus on mace, because this is very much a martial weapon and matches the mesmer style worse than any weapon except the hammer. I am not against new weapons by any means, but a mace is a melee weapon even more than a sword is for a mesmer; I have no desire to see ANOTHER melee weapon. I will live with it if it happens and use it too, but I could think of far worthier weapons (lets face it, by sheer numbers of requester’s we know this is mainhand pistol, followed by maybe focus or dagger). For myself I want pistol as it would feel full circle and match the archetype as much as it does thief at least for me. Something that offers another stealth weapon skill even with a longish cooldown I feel is ideal for mesmer but either way I am looking forward to seeing a new trait line which is going to be hugely interesting to see the new combinations available.

While all these are valid…I think I may have been misunderstood. I am indeed aware that we are indeed getting all of this, and my crybaby reason is that I am already poor enough as it is. Hahaha. Besides, the market will eventually chill out. These are just points I was making a point of mentioning in this discussion.

On another note…we have very different views on the Mesmer. You make all valid points in regards to how it functions, and you are correct, from the stance of Illusory mage, that mesmer combat is heavily focused on Clones. I find my combat more or less focused on moving about and keeping the conditions flowing with or without them, with a solid close range option should I not be able to escape. That is the fun thing about mesmer. It has a lot of versatility for distancing. Every profession does really. Mesmer just has more. This is why I say Swashbuckling duelist with illusory magic, not just illusionist. But that is schematics and not on topic.

The reason why I went with mace over pistol was for two reasons. The Mace would be a surprise for anyone to face off against from a scholar class, and it would be able to have nothing limiting it in determine what it could do. The pistol would have expectations attached to it, particularly in getting it to function similar to the thief’s pistol with an unload skill that it already has in the off hand. And it would likely have another bouncing bullet attack. In all honesty, we really don’t need another single target DPS type weapon on a mesmer. The focus looked interesting as well as a likely main hand, and unexpected. It would have a good amount of freedom as well. Though how would either of those flow well with the off hand weapons we have now, as you have mentioned? It would give us new skill, yes, but it would also further prove that the current mesmer skill set is rather focused on dealing with a single target. Even its class ability, the illusions, really focus on one target.

I would also like to mention, Mesmer has got to be one of the most mobile classes, and a new weapon should focus on that. Controlling the distance between the target and self, and how they can move, is one of my favorite aspects of Mesmer combat right now. Whatever the new main hand weapon is, or in general, I would love to keep seeing a focus on more mobility and distance control. That has got to be the most fun between stealthing and teleporting. A mesmer could go anywhere.

in Mesmer

Posted by: KeyLimPi.9031

KeyLimPi.9031

As much as I would love to see a unique weapon. It simply wont happen unless all the other classes got one as well.

Guardian – Dual Shields?
Warrior – Great Axe
Thief – ?
Ranger – ?
Engineer – Bazooka, kitten it
Necromancer – Voodoo Dolls
Elementalist – Whip tbh
Mesmer – Chakrams

Chakrams would feel the flashy, exotic, mindkitten playstyle of mesmer imo

in Mesmer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Don’t forget Bloodseeker. That one’s stylish.

Double Anomaly would look pretty cool i think, but thats about it. The game really needs to branch out and make some more unique skins.

in Mesmer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

As much as I would love to see a unique weapon. It simply wont happen unless all the other classes got one as well.

Guardian – Dual Shields?
Warrior – Great Axe
Thief – ?
Ranger – ?
Elementalist – Whip tbh
Mesmer – Chakrams

Dual shields would be stupid i think, the others yeah i could see them. I would rather see the Engineer get a sick looking Minigun lol

Chakrams could be cool, what would be cool is if they were split up:

Main Hand = Close Range
Off Hand = Long Range

That way we would have more options we could go Scepter/Shakram, Sword/Shakram if you wanted a Melee and range combo while going Shakram/Sword if you want full melee

in Mesmer

Posted by: DavyMcB.1603

DavyMcB.1603

Rifle… hands down.

My mesmer is already dressed up in regal garments with masquerade mask and rapier/revolver. I need RIFLE!!! NOW!!!

in Mesmer

Freedan.1769

Just wanted to thank Elwood for a good reply post. That was fairly candid and I agree with each of your points except about the bouncing bullet concept. I don’t think players have an expectation that a main hand pistol will be just like the current usage of the pistol in the offhand. I could easily see some kind of stealth or blind option there and I could see creative skill usage for the mesmer which would be a fabulous bump. Seriously I would love to see some really creative skills. My biggest reason for pistol MH though is simply because it is the most requested weapon for mesmers and quite frankly, I remember some promotional video’s that highlighted two pistols on the mesmer which made many people disappointed it didn’t work out that way. I am disappointed myself but will patiently wait for this much desired addition to hit the market.

Also a question: has anyone seen a scepter used in the off-hand? Just reaching to see what people might think of that.

in Mesmer

Posted by: KeyLimPi.9031

KeyLimPi.9031

Guardian – Dual Shields?
Warrior – Great Axe
Thief – ?
Ranger – ?
Elementalist – Whip tbh
Mesmer – Chakrams

Dual shields would be stupid i think, the others yeah i could see them. I would rather see the Engineer get a sick looking Minigun lol

Chakrams could be cool, what would be cool is if they were split up:

Main Hand = Close Range
Off Hand = Long Range

That way we would have more options we could go Scepter/Shakram, Sword/Shakram if you wanted a Melee and range combo while going Shakram/Sword if you want full melee

I was thinking more along the lines of a 750 range AOE 2 handed weapon “set”. You wouldn’t mix chakram with anything, it’s too much of a finesse weapon I think. Also:

Thief: Katars
Ranger: Midrange boomerang?

in Mesmer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I was thinking more along the lines of a 750 range AOE 2 handed weapon “set”. You wouldn’t mix chakram with anything, it’s too much of a finesse weapon I think. Also:

Thief: Katars
Ranger: Midrange boomerang?

Kators are basically daggers, No need for more

in Mesmer

Posted by: Requiem.8769

Requiem.8769

Hmm. Some options I’d be interested in:
Whip (MH)
Dagger (MH, OH)
Pistol (MH)
Cloak (OH)

Some possible applications of such weapons:

MH:
whip: (1,2,3)single-target. (1). Burst/Bleed, (2)CC (3) Confusion. ~ranged/melee
dagger: (1,2,3)single-target burst+bleed/confusion. ~melee
pistol: single-target burst. ~ranged

OH:
cane: (4) AoE confusion. (5) Phantasm randomly immobilizes/stuns/blinds
cloak: (4) stealth, blind. (5) Phantasm grants stealth.
dagger: (4) burst. (5) Phantasm attacks, then stealths itself.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cares Less.9631

Cares Less.9631

I always imagine my Mesmer is more like a Psiom from D&D 3.5 era, I would love to see:

The psicrystal:,has the special abilities of self-propulsion (can be sent out to conduct reconnaissance 2500 range, alertness (alerts master to stealthed enemy 600 range doesn’t show exact location just that someone is stealthed nearby), improved evasion (adds extra dodge ability while loctated within reach of player), share powers (can be made invisible through players skills).

Dreaming I know.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cares Less.9631

Cares Less.9631

Psion not Psiom kitten fat fingers on iPhone.

in Mesmer

Freedan.1769

Requiem, cloaks are going to be/are cosmetic items and not weapons nor will they ever be for that reason so you need to wipe that off your list. Even if that were not the case a cloak is not a weapon and thus has no skills associated with its use, you wear it not fight with it. Or can you imagine the baseball cap of terror? Or how about the fuzzy Asuran bunny slippers of face eating? Seriously, some things are too obviously not compatible.

Whips are not pre-existing weapons so I find them severely unlikely, but the weapon would certainly be welcomed by me if it was so no problems there. The cane I am not sure where you are going, is that a scepter or a new weapon type? Either way I think a cane would be fashionable for a mesmer, although I don’t see it being implemented unless its a fancy scepter. The rest I have no problem with, would like to see all of those I haven’t mentioned on a mesmer.

in Mesmer

Requiem.8769

Requiem, cloaks are going to be/are cosmetic items and not weapons nor will they ever be for that reason so you need to wipe that off your list. Even if that were not the case a cloak is not a weapon and thus has no skills associated with its use, you wear it not fight with it. Or can you imagine the baseball cap of terror? Or how about the fuzzy Asuran bunny slippers of face eating? Seriously, some things are too obviously not compatible.

Whips are not pre-existing weapons so I find them severely unlikely, but the weapon would certainly be welcomed by me if it was so no problems there. The cane I am not sure where you are going, is that a scepter or a new weapon type? Either way I think a cane would be fashionable for a mesmer, although I don’t see it being implemented unless its a fancy scepter. The rest I have no problem with, would like to see all of those I haven’t mentioned on a mesmer.

The mesmer is a class of deception and drama. We are magicians – and have you ever seen a magician perform? Think of the torch OH “weapon”. It is of the same ilk as a cloak would be.
So, how would a cloak work? I suppose the word “cape” or “mantle” might suit you better. A cloth held in hand, to be swirled and flourished. Picture a bullfighter; it is similar to that.

The cane is merely an extension of this flair and drama, and would work in ways appropriate to this. E.g., the (4) skill could be a dance which blurs the mesmer, stacking confusion in a 5m range.

(edited by Requiem.8769)

in Mesmer

Elwood.8347

@Freedan and @ Requiem

http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/di_grasseCloak.htm

This is just something I quickly looked up. Cloaks have been used in Fencing as an off hand weapon to snag opponents swords in the cloth itself. Cloaks can be used as a fluid shield. It would be great for more evasive techniques. It would have a block function for sure. And a phantasm to drop something that would have evasive movements to confuse the foe through movement alone. The cloak is indeed a viable tool in combat.

Another thing I thought about over the day was a weapon that may or may not have been brought up. Some may have said unarmed, but I am thinking claws. While it would still require agility, I could see a couple classes wielding claws. Thieves, Rangers, and Warriors could all use it, plus mesmer. The main theory behind it is close range combat focusing on bleeding instead of confusion.

Another good weapon for Mesmer are battle fans. Razor edged, or thrown, these could be used more particularly for confusion and evasive combat. Since we have already pinned down the mesmer as having the most movement in the game when it comes to battlefield positioning, adding the battle fan close-mid range combat with emphasis on evasion and unbalancing foes. With knockdowns and such. I would love it.

I would totally have Fan/Cloak hands down. That would be a fun combination. I could be running around the world, wearing a cloak with a fan in hand, just…relaxing. Mob starts attacking, and I am slicing them to ribbons with the fan and blocking with the cloak. Dear god…that would be demoralizing in PvP.

in Mesmer

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

My take on the MH pistol, names are subject to change.
#1: Quick Shot (1/4s range: 1200): normal shot, deals decent dmg
Debilitating Shot (1/2s range: 1200): apply Vulnerability
Illusionary Stream (1s range: 1200): shoot out slow-moving stream of butterflies that hits in a line and apply Confusion.
#2: Phase Dash (1/2s range: 900): throw your pistol to the target, deals minor damage, then dash (something like dashing clone in iLeap) to the target, dealing high damage upon crashing into them.
Temporal Recall (1/4s): create a clone at your position and teleport back to the original position before you Phase Dash.
#3: Shattered Bullet (2s channel range: 900, 1200 if traited): shoot a crystal shard that repeatedly shatters on impact dealing AoE dmg and bleed as you channel the skill. Total hits: 8

in Mesmer

Freedan.1769

I think its time we expanded on the cloak. During the Beta Weekend events the back slot was actually labeled “cloak” In other words, cloaks are already a piece of ARMOR. You cannot rename a piece of armor as a weapon. There are no gauntlets that double as weapon slots. There are no back slots that double as weapon slots either. Please review the talk, topic, and other forum posts in regards to cloaks, they are/will be back slot items so there is NO point assuming it will be included as a weapon when it is so clearly not intended to be, nor will it be. And Requiem, for the record, we also have mantles already thank you very much, they fit in our shoulder slots.

Adding link: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cloak

in Mesmer

Requiem.8769

I think its time we expanded on the cloak. During the Beta Weekend events the back slot was actually labeled “cloak” In other words, cloaks are already a piece of ARMOR. You cannot rename a piece of armor as a weapon. There are no gauntlets that double as weapon slots. There are no back slots that double as weapon slots either. Please review the talk, topic, and other forum posts in regards to cloaks, they are/will be back slot items so there is NO point assuming it will be included as a weapon when it is so clearly not intended to be, nor will it be. And Requiem, for the record, we also have mantles already thank you very much, they fit in our shoulder slots.

Adding link: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cloak

Did you even click on the link by Elwood?
Here are a few quotes:

“The next most commonly available weapon a gentleman will have at hand, after the dagger, is the cloak. "
“Three wards apply with the cloak as well. The first is the high ward, and particularly deserves its name here, since the cloak is also almost at chin level. "
“Parrying with the cloak while hitting, without a void, has little certainty and great peril in it, and yet if well done is excellent. Great acuity and deep judgement is needed, for as the enemy’s point approaches, you must wait until it is just within the hand’s reach, and then beat it down with the cloak while delivering a blow yourself. "
“The cloak may also be used offensively. Holding the cloak by the collar or hem it may be used to entangle a blade or beat it to the side giving you the time to offend your opponent. It may also be thrown over your opponent’s head thus blinding them temporarily. Throwing the cloak is dangerous in that you may lose it and not accomplish your aims. It may also be twirled or flicked at your opponent to confuse them. They will not know if you are trying to blind them with a throw or are maneuvering to entangle their blade.”

Cloak, in this case, does not refer to a piece of armor. It refers to a cloth carried in the hand, used to catch the opponent’s weapon, as well as blind and distract the opponent. Your sole objection, then, stems from terminology, and it’s feeble objection at that, as there currently are no cloaks. Yet let’s say this is a reasonable objection – fine. Rename it. E.g. Cape? Amictus? Batman’s Handkerchief? The options are limitless.

in Mesmer

Freedan.1769

Cloak, in this case, does not refer to a piece of armor. It refers to a cloth carried in the hand, used to catch the opponent’s weapon, as well as blind and distract the opponent. Your sole objection, then, stems from terminology, and it’s feeble objection at that, as there currently are no cloaks. Yet let’s say this is a reasonable objection – fine. Rename it. E.g. Cape? Amictus? Batman’s Handkerchief? The options are limitless.

I am well aware of Elwood’s statement. My point is you can’t do that to players. “Hey guys, guess what? We have a new category called cloak weapon! Its a piece of cloth we have imbued with offensive invisibility options in the offhand! Ignore the back piece cloaks those are separate armor only items.” Aside from player confusion over terms, we ARE getting cloaks to wear as armor/cosmetic and that is what the cloaks are going to be for and nothing else. The only exception to the rule of armor doubling as a weapon is the shield. But notice a shield unlike armor is wielded not worn. Nowhere does a character wear their shield as an armor item in their hero panel. It doesn’t serve double duty that way, its just that it intrinsically protects the bearer by reducing their attack profile due to its shape. Your argument of using the cloak as an offensive weapon is a possible one, I never denied this, but not in the context of the game. My point is there is no reason to bring it up because its not happening. If you can use a cloak as a weapon, you can use your boot for the same purpose. Here let me take my boot off and run skills through it. To quote Austin Powers, “Who throws a shoe? Honestly!!” I say the same and I think Anet based on its pre-existing article and comments would agree with me. It was meant to be clothing or at best back armor, nothing more. If we are going to offer suggestions, lets base them as much on existing fact as we can first, before conjecturing on the remaining possible weapon types. And so you know, I don’t attack Elwood, I merely point out that the cloak specifically doesn’t work.

in Mesmer

Advent.6193

As if ANet hasn’t changed their mind in the past, Freedan. For that matter, most topics revolving around cloaks/capes as armour or worn items have been generally shot down based on the “clipping” argument. Frankly, with all the darned “dress” or “robe” armours, as is … cloak/cape as armour would honestly be overkill. Why not then support ’em as an OH weapon concept?

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]

in Mesmer

Freedan.1769

I haven’t seen it done in any other game so far. Also your clipping argument isn’t a good one Advent. If it clips the back why not the front as well? Same issue then. So why not NOT support them as an OH weapon concept eh? Anyways this is now getting off-topic. I would vote for a cane or pistol type weapon as well as focus. What are people’s thoughts about two-handed weapon? I favor MH but wanted to know if anyone has a favorite for the larger weapons.

in Mesmer

Advent.6193

Trust me, it was never “my” clipping argument. I merely have kept an eye on the kinda stuff what gets said on these forums. Somewhat.
As for twohander weapons, that’s a good question. Assuming we’ll never convince ANet to desegregate land/aquatic weaponry options:

• Bladestaff
  • Weighted Scarf/Sash
  • Trick umbrella/cane (used like Zatoichi’s sword-cane, you could rig the 1-5 skills as a combo of cane/umbrella pokes for defensive/sneaky stuff, then hidden blade for attacks)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

If there’s going to be another 2H weapon, I’d say Chain-type weapons:

• Sickle&Chain
  • Mace&Chain
  • Weighted Chain

Could fit Warriors, Necros, Mesmers? The casters using them as a casting focus, not as an actual weapon.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Personally I’d love for mesmers to be able to use maces… not because I think they fit the profession, but because of all the legendaries, the moot is the one that I feel fits mesmers the most..

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

in Mesmer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Personally I’d love for mesmers to be able to use maces… not because I think they fit the profession, but because of all the legendaries, the moot is the one that I feel fits mesmers the most..

Entropy (Hammer)
Juggernaut(Legendary Hammer)
Wall of The Mists (Shield)

all suit Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: dargosian.2704

dargosian.2704

MH Focus.
I want my character to have the option to charge into combat while holding TWO mugs of Beer!

And if the auto-attack for a MH Focus is to throw said Focus at the enemy where it proceeds to blow up for AoE damage? All the better.

Daaaamn, man! New Legendary?

Threadmancer, trollgineer, hecklementalist, and warrior. Forum warrior.

in Mesmer

Freedan.1769

Carighan I think your on to something for the Sickle and Chain. That would be badical to run around with something like that as mesmer. Hmm, I was looking up some two-handed classis weapons. Both the halberd and the sword-staff would be awesome looking weapons and I could see both on a mesmer, particularly the swordstaff as both pieces fit the theme better. Another cool weapon although less Mesmer-like in looks is the morning star, a classicly awesome weapon. The morning star is great because its noticeable and has huge variety in the possible designs of the weapon.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Give us pistols or give us death!!! Preferably pistols…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Mesmer

Posted by: Morbridae.8607

Morbridae.8607

Mesmer, the class where the melee weapons are ranged weapons, and viceversa!

So, we can throw the shield a la Captain America, and use gun-foo with our pistols! yay!

Morbridae (Norn Necromancer)
@ Sorrow’s Furnace (VE)

in Mesmer

Requiem.8769

This is the last I’ll say on the cloak, as it’s good to talk about the other options, too, and I don’t want to take away from that. Anyway, here are the reasons I love the concept of a cloak OH:

Its uses:
1) blind
2) confusion
3) skillful block

Its ambience:
Gentlemen duelists, of precision, skill, and deception.

Its novelty:
The fact that it’s never been done in any game before is something I find as a positive. It is new, it is fresh, it is interesting. The sheer originality would endear me to it – and yet it is also historically realistic.

Its potential mechanics:
As an off-hand, it could be a skill that requires, well, extreme skill .
E.g. a 3 chain skill, where pressing the skill again moves onto the next chain phase (i,ii,iii)-
i) flick: whip the cloak at your opponents face (1s induction; 600m) —> applies blind if concluded
-->ii) snap!: applies 3 stacks of confusion if completed (1s induction; 400m)
—->iii) parry: blocks an attack (.5s induction)
—-> if successful block, grants stealth (1s) and applies 5 stacks of confusion; cooldown is halved
—--> if no block, grants stealth (1s)
As such, with this weapon you have the choice of either
i) blinding
ii) applying confusion
or
iii) blocking + stealthing
where each option becomes progressively more difficult to pull off, yet more rewarding. Personally, I would love to see something like this in the game.

(edited by Requiem.8769)

in Mesmer

Elwood.8347

To finish off with the Cloak idea…it’s sheath would be on the back, much like a shield. Since scholar types are more likely to have a cloak over a shield, it would look awesome. The same applies to the adventure professions. This leads me to believe that in theory…it could also give a defense boost (since honestly, the cloth armors do not have that high of a logical defense boost without magic). AKA, Cloak would be the scholar shield type. Since Engineer already have shield, the cloak could be given to Ranger and Thief to essentially give a weapon that boost defense to every profession in the off hand. And then we would have legit cloaks for 5 professions. How awesome is that? And honestly…a warrior or guardian would never wear a cloak, as it would hinder their movements and get snagged in their armor, and an engineer would singe the cloak more than wear it.

Moving on. I now suddenly totally support main hand pistol. Two words. Illya and Lyss. Heck yes. I NOW HONOR MY GODDESS LYSSA. That, and honestly…we would be the third profession to have access to pistols in both hands…oh wait…EVERY profession with pistol access would have it in the main hand. How cool is that? Pretty good track record there. Pistol main hand skills would be interesting as well.

1st slot would be a confuse, naturally. You should an ephemeral bullet that confuses and/or blinds. Like confuse for a short duration. Like 2 seconds tops.

2nd slot would be an daze attack or a knock down. Fluff, make the opponent think gravity is heavier than normal. WOOT.

3rd would be the clone generator. Funny story. A side teleport. Instead of porting towards or away from a target, move to the side with an active distortion effect. BETTER IDEA. Shoot repeatedly while teleporting rapidly around the target. Or just once or twice and could be traited higher. Or a bouncing shot that would teleport you to each target to fire a shot to blind/daze/drop clone. Something along those lines. I would like a lot of movement from the pistol though, and far more reliable confusion. And speed. GODS THE SPEED IT WOULD NEED. But yea. See? Pistol mainhand would be fun.

Another interesting main hand from within the game that we don’t have is….dagger. People keep asking for whip, but may I note…elementalists have a whip on their air MH dagger. Therefore, it is highly likely we could also receive a lashing attack on our MH dagger. We could also have another weapon skill stealth, and for clone generator, a simple stab attack to inflict bleeding and generates a clone. Or a Teleport TO the foe and leave a clone at last location. Since the last would likely be a midrange attack, the teleport would function as a reverse for the MH sword skill iLeap. I like that idea.

Both would be quite fun, MH Pistol or Dagger. OH dagger would be interesting to see as well. But alas, there are limits to everything. I personally would vouch for the pistol for the lovely Illya and Lyss duality.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zeph.6504

Zeph.6504

Would love to see a mid range MH pistol!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Overlord.7394

Overlord.7394

I like the idea but pistol… Mewhhh. I don’t know, maybe like… I really don’t know lol! But I have 2 80s a mesmer and engi, and as far as variety…. I am bot concerned about mesmer I’ll tell ya that hahaha

My name is Remy. I’m a proud member of Lion Knights. Defender of Borlis Pass.
80s: Mesmer, Engineer, Guardian.
In progress: Warrior 52.

in Mesmer

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

I picture something flashy, whirling and AoE melee. A bit like blurred frenzy but 360 degrees?

A purple weighted chain coming from a Focus might do it, whip is too “soft” for concept, it needs to be something fairly solid whirling around. Maybe a virtual Staff, akin to the Guardian evoked weapons (e.g. a Bo) coming from the Focus? Animation: raise the Focus high above head, stuff whirls from it.

in Mesmer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I picture something flashy, whirling and AoE melee. A bit like blurred frenzy but 360 degrees?

A purple weighted chain coming from a Focus might do it, whip is too “soft” for concept, it needs to be something fairly solid whirling around.

Numchucks? lol

in Mesmer

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

If it means we get to do the whirling defense that rangers/phantasmal wardens can do, totally worth it.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

in Mesmer

Posted by: RBMoose.1439

RBMoose.1439

Pistol mainhand. I’m thinking of Grammaton Cleric style shooting movements. Also, they should all be range 900 max, otherwise it’s easily stepping on the other weapons toes. It should be more direct damage centered, and the sceptor can be adjusted to be more condition centered.

1. it should be a chain of shots that cause some vulnerability at the end, or some crippling with the 3rd shot.
  2. should be similar to leap, but have a clone spawn to the left or right randomly, and then we can switch with that target.
    Alternative: rush into melee range, and then cause blindness while creating a clone behind the target with the ability to switch with the clone
  3. would be a gap creator. blink to roughly 900 range from the target with the creation of 2 clones at 120 degrees from target, and all do an identical unload effect. This would be on a fairly long cooldown to offset it’s upside.