Any way to make sword AA good?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alveen.7239

Alveen.7239

I personally think if it was faster and the hitbox was just slightly larger it would be good, what are your thoughts?

in Mesmer

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Its already our best auto attack (GS still wonky cast times, and that annoying mechanic of dealing less damage if they are too close, staff projectile has an outdated bounce mechanic and moves incredibly slowly, scepter is decent but single target though its ability to rapidly create shatter fodder is really nice), but it could definitely be improved.

I would like to see the vulnerability applied with the first hit moved to the second hit (so it would apply 2 stacks of vulnerability), making it a little bit harder for mesmers to use their auto chain to apply cover condis. I also want to see the damage on the third strike increased by at least 10%, and would like to see the trait Shattered Concentration updated to also allow Mind Spike to remove 2 boons on hit because I’m tired of the boon spam in this game.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Increase its damage.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

The aa is fine, our modifiers are not. I’d rather like to see other weapons getting in line with the sword than the sword getting buffed more and more …

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Opopanax.1803

Opopanax.1803

The offense is fine, I think it could use something to help us be a bit more defensive in melee. Light armor and non-high HP and not as much sustain make it harder to be melee… something on the autoattack that would help that would be nice.

in Mesmer

OriOri.8724

Interesting that you think that the defensive capabilities of Sword need to be increased considering its already one of our most defensive weapons. We get Blur on SW2, a block on SW4 (not MH sword, but its still the same weapon), along with traits that synergize extremely well with Sword (Ineptitude, Mental Defense, and Evasive Mirror are all defensive traits that SW2 will activate).

in Mesmer

Posted by: FJSAMA.2867

FJSAMA.2867

Increase sword aa chain speed by ~30% like they did with thief sword in January 26th (increasing attack points / decreasing aftercast delays).
Thief, war, rev swords aa chain takes ~1.8s to complete. Mesmer sword aa takes 2.5s.
At least we could use boon strip more often/faster ending this chain.. Maybe it could payoff to be in melee range with a light armor class smashing 1…

For me this would be far more insteresting than increasing damage… Cause raw damage is there, but like someone said, we dont have moddifiers to support it (and mods dont affect all our skills like phantasms)

in Mesmer

Opopanax.1803

Interesting that you think that the defensive capabilities of Sword need to be increased considering its already one of our most defensive weapons. We get Blur on SW2, a block on SW4 (not MH sword, but its still the same weapon), along with traits that synergize extremely well with Sword (Ineptitude, Mental Defense, and Evasive Mirror are all defensive traits that SW2 will activate).

I am talking MH sword. The only defensive skill is the distortion, and that is relatively high CD. Scepter has better defense than sword MH.

My point is that for a melee weapon that is encouraging close play for a light armor class with moderate base health and little sustain, something little like some toughness on proc; endurance recovery, or something like that would be helpful to a melee playstyle. I dont think zipping in then ducking back out is a good playstyle for the melee weapon… which is probably one of the reasons that it doesnt get a ton of use : the playstyle is not great for mesmer with all of the other things that mesmer has going for it. Melee is not well supported in mesmer traits or skills.

in Mesmer

OriOri.8724

@Opopanax – I brought up MH sword because outside of the first 3 or so levels in the game you wouldn’t run around with just MH sword and no OH weapon equipped.

But even just looking at MH sword, it still has high defensive capabilities. 2.5 sec Blur on a 12 sec CD untraited, that is 21% uptime on the blur effect. Pair that with Ineptitude and you also blind people if they attack while you are using BF, forcing a miss on their next attack. Or take Mental Defense and then suddenly you are taking 33% less damage after using BF.

It already has a ton of defensive utility built in, and when paired with some of our OH weapons it really shine. OH sword gives us a block to use as well. Shield gives us incredible defensive abilities, Torch gives us stealth.

It really doesn’t need any defensive buffs imo

in Mesmer

Opopanax.1803

@Opopanax – I brought up MH sword because outside of the first 3 or so levels in the game you wouldn’t run around with just MH sword and no OH weapon equipped.

But even just looking at MH sword, it still has high defensive capabilities. 2.5 sec Blur on a 12 sec CD untraited, that is 21% uptime on the blur effect. Pair that with Ineptitude and you also blind people if they attack while you are using BF, forcing a miss on their next attack. Or take Mental Defense and then suddenly you are taking 33% less damage after using BF.

It already has a ton of defensive utility built in, and when paired with some of our OH weapons it really shine. OH sword gives us a block to use as well. Shield gives us incredible defensive abilities, Torch gives us stealth.

It really doesn’t need any defensive buffs imo

I dont consider a stationary distortion that defensive in and of itself, especially for a weapon that is melee when you need time on target. You give away a lot to use it.

And you can go on about traits that support it being more defensive, but none of those are specific to sword, so pretty much a moot point on all of the rest of your argument.

All in all I hear what you are saying: yes it has one defensive skill. But I think the whole problem is that in general, they dont make it a great melee weapon for staying on your target, and that works against it being melee at all.
ie, warrior sword has a cripple on auto chain, leap to cripple. Guard sword has a teleport to target+ blind and a block ranged skill. Ranger sword has an cripple on auto and leap out and back in, and evade around target. Thief has cripple, immobilize, and depends for 3. Revenant has chill on 2 and evade on 3. Are you seeing a theme with staying on the target?

I’m not trying to say mesmer sword is bad for power and that 3 isnt defensive, but the skills dont lend to staying on your target and actually work against staying in melee combat compared to any other sword classes. These are just my observations; obviously you are fine with it, but this is why I think it is underutilized and doesnt hold weight against are other weapons.

(edited by Opopanax.1803)

in Mesmer

Posted by: LouWolfskin.3492

LouWolfskin.3492

But guard can’t move during his block either?
And mesmer can immob with his 3 as well, sure it doesn’t last long but long enough for your 2 to come through.

I don’t really get how this is that much worse, especially considering that you’d ideally would use it as a burst weapon, get in, do your stuff, swap set, get out.

Or am i playing this wrong?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

A couple weeks ago someone made a post about just making sword a condition weapon. I like sword as a power weapon. But I think a trait that made it a condition weapon would be cool. More options is always better.

Aside from the obvious damage buff it needs to be better, I would change the third attack. if the target doesn’t have a boon it does more damage. If the target has a boon, it will strip it and do a little less damage. I would make the difference in damage when a boon is stripped a heal. So whenever it strips a boon it also heals. But that should be a trait also. I think that would be a cool option. maybe make all boonstrips heal a little.

And if you would indulge me a little more. I’d actually make a trait so instead of boonstrip, the third attack transfers a condition. With a trait also, for options.

in Mesmer

Posted by: LouWolfskin.3492

LouWolfskin.3492

A couple weeks ago someone made a post about just making sword a condition weapon. I like sword as a power weapon. But I think a trait that made it a condition weapon would be cool. More options is always better.

Aside from the obvious damage buff it needs to be better, I would change the third attack. if the target doesn’t have a boon it does more damage. If the target has a boon, it will strip it and do a little less damage. I would make the difference in damage when a boon is stripped a heal. So whenever it strips a boon it also heals. But that should be a trait also. I think that would be a cool option. maybe make all boonstrips heal a little.

And if you would indulge me a little more. I’d actually make a trait so instead of boonstrip, the third attack transfers a condition. With a trait also, for options.

I’d honestly make scepter a melee weapon instead.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

I’d honestly make scepter a melee weapon instead.

I would use scepter if it were anything but a scepter lmao. I only want to use blades: dagger, swords, greatswords. So if i could scepter skills on a sword i’d totally use and make a cool condi build.

in Mesmer

OriOri.8724

@Opopanax – Now you are confusing me. At first you say that the defensive capabilities of mesmer SW are not good, especially compared to other classes, but then when you talk about other classes you start talking about their ability to keep their target in melee range. Those are two different things, so it would help me out in this conversation to know which one you think SW is lacking. I agree that mesmer SW doesn’t have very good tools to keep the target in melee range, but that’s not really a defensive problem, more of an offensive one.

For defensive purposes, this is the last I will say on the topic here to avoid throwing the conversation off too much, I think that mesmer SW is actually in one of the better spots throughout all professions barring purely defensive/support weapons (eg shield and/or focus) specifically because it has to be traited for its defensive capabilities to really shine. I think having too much inherent defense built into weapons is a bad balance decision, because it allows players to gear and trait for extra damage, while also having defensive capabilities baked in, which is inherently unbalanced. When traited, SW is an incredibly defensive weapon on Mesmer, especially if used properly in conjunction with our other skills (and even more so with Chrono equipped), and I believe that its best that its defensive capabilities mostly lie behind traits. I also happen to believe that most auto chains should have boons and condis removed from them which would bring the other SW skills you mention closer in line to mesmer SW, but that is a different discussion.

As to changing sword to a condi weapon. Please don’t. Regardless of how you feel about our sword skills, its our only melee power weapon.

in Mesmer

Opopanax.1803

Its like you havent been reading my posts, which actually makes sense of some of your replies.

It’s all good; I am in the minority at least in these posts. You guys can keep sword, and I’ll stick with other weapons that are better designed when considering their skills and matching playstyle- at least to me.
No hard feeling and farewell!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

I have to chuckle when people worry about some sort of big rework making sword into a condie weapon or things like that. Never in a million years will anything like that happen, anet would never put the time and effort into something like that.

In any case…

@Opopanax: you seem to have strong ability for correlating themes on other classes swords, but you need a bit of practice for our own. You complain that other classes have the ability to stay on target. Did you fail to notice the cripple + immob + gap closer on a low cooldown that is sword skill 3? Honestly, I have no idea where any of your complaints are coming from. You don’t consider a stationary defensive skill defensive? Quite picky about your defensive options aren’t you? How much do you want a single skill to do, honestly. It’s a low cooldown, long duration, defensive skill that also does good damage. Do you want it to shout out encouraging words while using it too?

in Mesmer

Opopanax.1803

I think maybe my issue with mesmer sword is the playstyle. The idea of a melee weapon that yo yos you in and out of melee combat range is just horrible for time on target. Maybe this is coming from playing other classes where sword actually works well, and they have the sustain that supports time on target, but mesmer MH sword is the worst of all of the sword classes, imo.

No, I dont think 2 or 3 do a good job at all compared to other sword classes skills. You have a self root that is melee ranged (guardians also roots, but at least it is 600 range!), and you have a unreliable cripple/immobilize that that has a tendency to put you away from your target not on it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Yes, quickness.
Boons removal is underrated by wayyyy too many people.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

I think it’s fine for the most part in PvE.

For pvp?
“Mind gash now applies weakness instead of vaulnerbity..” For the same duration. (Gash to specific the second hit)

Clones still apply vulnerability like normal, Perhaps adding weakness on gash as a secondary effect to sharper images for clones to give duelling a little love.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

Not sure about AA, but I never understood why #2 got a huge damage buff in PvE and nothing for PvP. I can’t recall anyone ever thinking BF did too much damage for the fact that it roots you in place to do it, and it takes quite a while and 8 hits to apply. We all know that Retaliation has a bad habit of out damaging (or close) BFs own damage.

It doesn’t have to be 100 Blades with a 2.5s Blur, that’s not what I mean, but it sure could use a solid boost in damage IMO. It should also hit 5 targets, what is up with the 3 target limit? Seems outdated and unnecessary to me. This would help Power builds a tiny bit.

However, I agree that I’d much rather see boosts to more underused weapons, which MH Sword simply is not. (And mainly for it’s pretty significant defense.)

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

I think maybe my issue with mesmer sword is the playstyle. The idea of a melee weapon that yo yos you in and out of melee combat range is just horrible for time on target. Maybe this is coming from playing other classes where sword actually works well, and they have the sustain that supports time on target, but mesmer MH sword is the worst of all of the sword classes, imo.

No, I dont think 2 or 3 do a good job at all compared to other sword classes skills. You have a self root that is melee ranged (guardians also roots, but at least it is 600 range!), and you have a unreliable cripple/immobilize that that has a tendency to put you away from your target not on it.

If you’re trying to just stick to a target in melee range and dps them down, you’re going to have a bad time. Mesmer simply does not work that way. The class is designed for burst damage, not sustained. I can certainly understand frustration if you’re attempting to play mesmer in that way, but there will never be a solution for you other than playing a different class. You’re trying to hammer nails with a pair of scissors, its not going to work.

in Mesmer

OriOri.8724

Not sure about AA, but I never understood why #2 got a huge damage buff in PvE and nothing for PvP. I can’t recall anyone ever thinking BF did too much damage for the fact that it roots you in place to do it, and it takes quite a while and 8 hits to apply. We all know that Retaliation has a bad habit of out damaging (or close) BFs own damage.

It doesn’t have to be 100 Blades with a 2.5s Blur, that’s not what I mean, but it sure could use a solid boost in damage IMO. It should also hit 5 targets, what is up with the 3 target limit? Seems outdated and unnecessary to me. This would help Power builds a tiny bit.

However, I agree that I’d much rather see boosts to more underused weapons, which MH Sword simply is not. (And mainly for it’s pretty significant defense.)

It wasn’t buffed in PvP because mesmers are already too OP in PvP /s

There really wasn’t a good reason to not buff it in PvP as well

in Mesmer

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

People don’t say it does too much dmg because it’s not dealing double dmg. Not too hard to figure out really.

in Mesmer

Opopanax.1803

If you’re trying to just stick to a target in melee range and dps them down, you’re going to have a bad time. Mesmer simply does not work that way. The class is designed for burst damage, not sustained. I can certainly understand frustration if you’re attempting to play mesmer in that way, but there will never be a solution for you other than playing a different class. You’re trying to hammer nails with a pair of scissors, its not going to work.

Oh, I realize that they designed sword this way on mesmer, but this is why it works against its own gameplay design. It is a melee weapon, yet with this type of gameplay you can’t get auto attack to pull of much damage because you are expected to yo-yo. It’s why mesmer sword only works well against given classes and situations.

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Blurred frenzy is a 2.5s evade that simultaneously deals damage roughly equivalent to autoattacking and is on a fairly short and traitable cooldown.

That’s quite a lot of stuff it does. What exactly do you have as justification for it doing more damage? HB is slower and has no defense. Pistol whip has an activation time where it can be interrupted, and unrelenting assault deals drastically lower damage to multiple targets. Why should blurred frenzy deal more damage than it already does?

in Mesmer

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

The third attack damage modifier in the sword aa chain is almost never utilized in PvP. I feel as if it should be reversed – extra damage for boons on a target.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Increase sword aa chain speed by ~30% like they did with thief sword in January 26th (increasing attack points / decreasing aftercast delays).
Thief, war, rev swords aa chain takes ~1.8s to complete. Mesmer sword aa takes 2.5s.
At least we could use boon strip more often/faster ending this chain.. Maybe it could payoff to be in melee range with a light armor class smashing 1…

For me this would be far more insteresting than increasing damage… Cause raw damage is there, but like someone said, we dont have moddifiers to support it (and mods dont affect all our skills like phantasms)

I like the idea of speeding up the AA chain – it would incentivise getting to that third hit for boon strip.

Would also be nice to see some short duration extra durability on cast for the ileap clone rather than it melting instantly in for example traps.

in Mesmer

OriOri.8724

I like the idea of speeding up the AA chain – it would incentivise getting to that third hit for boon strip.

Would also be nice to see some short duration extra durability on cast for the ileap clone rather than it melting instantly in for example traps.

Speeding it up would be nice. Giving the ileap clone 1 stack of Aegis base would also be nice, help to ensure that we can actually use the leap

in Mesmer

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

Just chiming in but I wanted to ask: why not spec for some quickness if you want to boost the AA chain ?

in Mesmer

Curunen.8729

Just chiming in but I wanted to ask: why not spec for some quickness if you want to boost the AA chain ?

But that’s only for niche traits/skills. Sword AA shouldn’t be reliant on quickness as a quality of life fix – rather quickness should only enhance what already works well in the first place. And currently sword AA is a little slower than it ought to be in the first place given how it is intended to be used.

in Mesmer

OriOri.8724

But that’s only for niche traits/skills. Sword AA shouldn’t be reliant on quickness as a quality of life fix – rather quickness should only enhance what already works well in the first place. And currently sword AA is a little slower than it ought to be in the first place given how it is intended to be used.

Just gonna throw out some numbers from the wiki here:

• Mesmer Sword auto chain takes 2.48 seconds to fully cast
  • Mesmer Scepter takes 2.55 seconds to cast
  • There are 23 auto attack chains in the game (1 of which is reaper shroud)
  • Of those 23 auto attack chains, 6 of them take between 2.4 and 2.6 seconds to fully cast
  • Of those 23 auto attack chains, 4 of them take 3+ seconds to cast (all on Guardian and Warrior weapons)
  • Of those 23 chains, 4 of them are under 2 sec cast times (Necro MH dagger coming in close at 2.05 seconds), 2 of them are Thief weapons, 1 belongs to Rev, and the 4th to Warrior
  • The Reaper GS auto chain takes 2.88 seconds, and this weapon was designed to hit hard and slow (this gives us a rough idea of what ANet considers to be a slow auto chain)
  • The fastest auto chains for each class are listed below:
  • Guardian – GS/Sw, 2.5 seconds
  • Rev – Mace, 1.85 seconds
  • Warrior – Sw, 1.85 seconds
  • Engineer – Hammer, 2.75 seconds (note that this is the only Engi weapon to have an auto chain at all)
  • Ranger – GS, 2.56 seconds
  • Thief – Sword, 1.68 seconds
  • Mesmer – Sword, 2.48 seconds
  • Necromander – Dagger, 2.04 seconds

Of the 7 other classes that have auto chains, 4 of them have a noticeably faster auto chain than mesmer does, 1 of them has an auto chain that is essentially the same cast time, and only 2 classes have slower auto chains (though both are within a 1/4 sec cast time of mesmer sword auto chain). Make of this what you will, whether it supports speeding up the cast time of Mesmer Sword auto or not.

Also be sure to note that a great deal of these other auto chains do more things than Mesmer Sword auto does and deal more damage. All 3 of the thief auto chains deal more damage than mesmer sword does, despite being much quicker to cast.

I wouldn’t mind seeing mesmer sword auto made faster, but I would prefer that some of the other auto chains in this game (and skills in general) are toned down instead (either increased cast time, reduced damage, or reduced functionality)

in Mesmer

Curunen.8729

The main reason I’m for speeding up the attack chain is to make better use of boon strip on the third hit.

Even if it was just down to around 2 seconds.

Regarding damage, I’m not fussed about that aspect.

in Mesmer

OriOri.8724

Oh trust me I definitely understand the want to get better use out of the boon strip from sword auto. I just think that overall we could get better use out of it if ANet would start nerfing more stuff across the board, and then with fewer boons being applied, it would have a greater impact every time it did land. Realistically though, since that isn’t likely to happen, speeding up the auto chain would be a good solution.

in Mesmer

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

I understand your argument but I kinda feel like Anet is not on the same page as you. But as long as we don’t increase the damage of the auto-attack I will have to agree with you. Edit: why not simply put the boon strip on the second auto-attack ?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

Blurred frenzy is a 2.5s evade that simultaneously deals damage roughly equivalent to autoattacking and is on a fairly short and traitable cooldown.

That’s quite a lot of stuff it does. What exactly do you have as justification for it doing more damage? HB is slower and has no defense. Pistol whip has an activation time where it can be interrupted, and unrelenting assault deals drastically lower damage to multiple targets. Why should blurred frenzy deal more damage than it already does?

Because mesmer/chronomancer damage is abysmal compared to every other prof in the game. I’m not saying that blurred frenzy in particular should deal more damage, but something is off when the maximum personal damage build that gives up almost all supportive aspects is in practically the same spot as Phalanx Strength warriors damage wise.

(edited by Eponet.4829)

in Mesmer

Posted by: myren.5490

myren.5490

We really shouldn’t be asking for more sword buffs and instead ask for buffs for our other weapons. Staff has a weird auto attack that’s far too slow and doesn’t deal reliable condi dmg. Greatsword’s auto attack is horrible and needs the range indicator removed. Scepter is ok but torment and confusion are not good in pve so it automatically makes it bad. Sword is currently our best weapon and while we ask for more buffs for it, we remove the possibility of buffing the other weapons.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

The AA on sword main hand is truly awful. I very rarely use it because it requires standing still for too long which is usually a death sentence for a mes, and it is slow execute. This should be one powerful hit with an effect instead of 3 attacks. Possibly turn it into a projectile. This really should have been on a melee class who goes toe to toe with opponents.