Best weapons for dmg build?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

What are the best (highest DPS) weapons for damage builds? (Specifically for soloing dungeons.) Anyone done some analysis or have a spreadsheet? Thanks!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Check out Guanglai Kangyi’s stuff, he is a very reliable source for DPS & dungeon-oriented info. The Mesmer-specific thread is here: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/84947-mesmerizing-the-enemy-guide-to-mesmer-swordx-dps-builds/

in Mesmer

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

What are the best (highest DPS) weapons for damage builds? (Specifically for soloing dungeons.) Anyone done some analysis or have a spreadsheet? Thanks!

Sword/pistol and sword/sword are the highest DPS options. Most people sacrifice the pistol for the focus for increased utility from the reflections (which, in some situations, can raise your DPS above the pistol as well).

If you go for maximum personal DPS, full stop, you’ll want 30/30/0/0/10 (or 25/30/0/0/15) with sword/sword + sword/pistol.

If you want maximum reflections mixed with DPS, go with 10/30/0/20/10 or 0/30/0/25/15 with sword/sword + sword/focus.

in Mesmer

maxinion.8396

Check out Guanglai Kangyi’s stuff, he is a very reliable source for DPS & dungeon-oriented info. The Mesmer-specific thread is here: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/84947-mesmerizing-the-enemy-guide-to-mesmer-swordx-dps-builds/

It’s a nice guide to get started, but some of it is wrong/out of date (especially the “Full DPS” option is broken… no one runs 30 in illusions for DPS, since you shouldn’t be shattering and Phantasmal Haste is broken).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Good call, max. I have that guide linked in the mesmer guide too so I’ll keep that in mind when I make the edits

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Thanks everyone!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Narsil.6579

Narsil.6579

From speed runs (if what you plan on doing) usually run focus/sw with GS. Mainly because if you are doing speed runs, most of the time you are stacking and the Warden is stationary , deals more damage AoE wise, the curtain light field + leap= retal. The curtain + whirl = Cleanse bolts (condition clear). Usually I run this (ran tbh). That being said, if you are semi casual, not really into speed clearing, staff can be more group support. Still deeps is always good if you have a coordinated team, also more risky.

[HP/MM]Mesmer / Warrior
Borlis Noob / FergPug
Scout Sailor Moon

in Mesmer

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

From speed runs (if what you plan on doing) usually run focus/sw with GS. Mainly because if you are doing speed runs, most of the time you are stacking and the Warden is stationary , deals more damage AoE wise, the curtain light field + leap= retal. The curtain + whirl = Cleanse bolts (condition clear). Usually I run this (ran tbh). That being said, if you are semi casual, not really into speed clearing, staff can be more group support. Still deeps is always good if you have a coordinated team, also more risky.

< is member of elite NA dungeon guild
< has a mesmer with berserker, assassin and centaur sets
< does not own a greatsword
< has never felt the need to use a greatsword
< does not intend on purchasing a greatsword
< has never been asked to use a greatsword by guildies

I’m not sure what speed run meta you’re following, but ranged weapons aren’t a part of it unless you mean staff eles – which you don’t.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

in Mesmer

Narsil.6579

I’m not sure what speed run meta you’re following, but ranged weapons aren’t a part of it unless you mean staff eles – which you don’t.

Ahh ok I am so sorry, I did not know we had alot of elite NA dungeon guilds, please tell me you’re not the type who runs through glitches, map terrain *shortcuts and or abuses certain bugs and exploits to speed clear. On a side note I did not say staff wasn’t better, I just like my greatsword, and if unless you are from DnT, I can give less craps about your guild. To top it off, I am not throwing around gear sets and runes. I seen 5 necros speed clear and I have seen several other classes. For my comp its usually 4 warriors 1 mesmer. Op is asking about weapons with high damage, usually the GS focus sword is my combo for kiting and stacking, now please explain how you use staff.

[HP/MM]Mesmer / Warrior
Borlis Noob / FergPug
Scout Sailor Moon

in Mesmer

maxinion.8396

Ahh ok I am so sorry, I did not know we had alot of elite NA dungeon guilds, please tell me you’re not the type who runs through glitches, map terrain *shortcuts and or abuses certain bugs and exploits to speed clear. On a side note I did not say staff wasn’t better, I just like my greatsword, and if unless you are from DnT, I can give less craps about your guild. To top it off, I am not throwing around gear sets and runes. I seen 5 necros speed clear and I have seen several other classes. For my comp its usually 4 warriors 1 mesmer. Op is asking about weapons with high damage, usually the GS focus sword is my combo for kiting and stacking, now please explain how you use staff.

lol, hendo is DnT

And he doesn’t use staff, he uses sword/focus + sword/sword, like I said in my posts.

Anyway, Kuru is a dungeon forum person, so he knows the benefits of running full melee, so I’m not going to explain why that’s better.

in Mesmer

Narsil.6579

lol, hendo is DnT

And he doesn’t use staff, he uses sword/focus + sword/sword, like I said in my posts.

Ok then good, so he does know what he does, but personally I can careless, usually if you run with a group that knows its bases, good, if not , good luck. I wish i could run certain set ups, but sometimes I am pugging it, I have to sacrifice some damage for survivalist, or else id rage at pugs on my party about dodging and whatnot, I mainly WvW so when i do go to PvE, Its me and strangers, try carrying randoms through CoE, watch em all die, and be the last one kiting and raging.

Hence my love for GS and focus sword, I can always fall back on kiting on full zerk if my group sucks, the price I pay for being WvW heavy

[HP/MM]Mesmer / Warrior
Borlis Noob / FergPug
Scout Sailor Moon

(edited by Narsil.6579)

in Mesmer

hendo.1940

Ahh ok I am so sorry, I did not know we had alot of elite NA dungeon guilds, please tell me you’re not the type who runs through glitches, map terrain *shortcuts and or abuses certain bugs and exploits to speed clear.

Nope. Only bad players use exploits. I do my speed clearing legit.

On a side note I did not say staff wasn’t better, I just like my greatsword, and if unless you are from DnT, I can give less craps about your guild.

It just so happens I am in Death and Taxes.

To top it off, I am not throwing around gear sets and runes. I seen 5 necros speed clear and I have seen several other classes. For my comp its usually 4 warriors 1 mesmer. Op is asking about weapons with high damage, usually the GS focus sword is my combo for kiting and stacking, now please explain how you use staff.

What I meant with the reference to staff (ele, to note) is that ranged weapons aren’t meta besides fringe exceptions like staff elementalist. Greatsword on mesmer does not have high damage, the phantasm is approximately 66% of the damage of swordsman and the autoattack at 900> is about half as efficient as main hand sword. I don’t see why you would kite in speedclears anyway, that basically never happens when I speed through dungeons, and a single target ranged weapon isn’t that good when stacking since you’ll be doing the <300 range damage which is abysmal.

Ok then good, so he does know what he does, but personally I can careless, usually if you run with a group that knows its bases, good, if not , good luck. I wish i could run certain set ups, but sometimes I am pugging it, I have to sacrifice some damage for survivalist, or else id rage at pugs on my party about dodging and whatnot, I mainly WvW so when i do go to PvE, Its me and strangers, try carrying randoms through CoE, watch em all die, and be the last one kiting and raging.

I pug Arah all of the time, and I never need to use a ranged weapon. In fact I don’t even use it for solo settings.

My Lupicus mesmer solos are terrible and I haven’t bothered to upload my Alphard yet, but they’re all melee. I’ve soloed path 3 on mesmer as well, though I haven’t bothered with p1 since ooze and entities would be like watching paint dry.

I’ve pugged COE just fine on mesmer as well, Alpha fights just involve evading the teeth attack and the ice AOE, and mesmers have a ton of built in survivability anyway.

Hence my love for GS and focus sword, I can always fall back on kiting on full zerk if my group sucks, the price I pay for being WvW heavy

Maybe we should do some duo Arah and I can watch you pull out your greatsword for situations that don’t even require it.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

in Mesmer

Narsil.6579

Maybe we should do some duo Arah and I can watch you pull out your greatsword for situations that don’t even require it.

I know the GS isn’t that much damage, in fact I do know it is a waste, usually the sw is better due to is leap and high single target damage, usually I run it for the AoE, I know that maybe i am sacrificing the damage output, and once the berserker is out, i only have wave (if unless its a boss with defiant, then its useless), then i have the ground target spike, and the mirror blade, which in sense, it is not that much. I somehow still love GS, again ive ran sw/sw pistol/sw ,logically more damage single target , and probably if your focus is one boss or etc it is the best way (group wise or solo). I just love GS I will admit that, and i do know its short comings. Sometimes I just wanna tag everything lol.

That being said, I would probably learn more from you in Arah since its the only dungeon I need, and the only 1 where i need 2 paths for dungeon mastery.

Dungeons, bosses and any aspect of this game, fall mainly on learning the pattern, sequence, and timing. I know from some runs, that most guardians, warriors melee it, put it in a corner or etc. Again I don’t run arah fairly that well, and I have seen people in this game and other, solo anything even with no armor and a starter weapon, it all comes down to timing, position and the know how. Nothing is hard until you discover how it works, once you learn the trick the rest is just practice and experience.

[HP/MM]Mesmer / Warrior
Borlis Noob / FergPug
Scout Sailor Moon

(edited by Narsil.6579)

in Mesmer

hendo.1940

If you’re on NA servers, drop me a message on Serah Mahariel and I can run it with you.

I prefer to play warrior but if you wanted to see how I performed versus bosses on mesmer I can do that too – though like I said, I’m horrific at Lupicus on mesmer.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

You’re both filthy PvE’rs, so regardless of who’s “right” you should both be ashamed anyway :p

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Besides the fact, that GS has no use in a dungeon group with people who know what they are doing, I think your approach towards the GS is not very representative for someone who is in a high level guild.

Unless you are doing nothing but dungeons, not owning a GS will limit you and make you less efficient in other aspects of the game. For me that sounds narrow minded.

Nothing personal, but I would rather play my other classes than running around with my mesmer in the open world only using swords…

in Mesmer

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

Sometimes I pull out my Staff/GS combo just to see how long it takes for someone to rage.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jeremlloyd.6837

Jeremlloyd.6837

Besides the fact, that GS has no use in a dungeon group with people who know what they are doing, I think your approach towards the GS is not very representative for someone who is in a high level guild.

Unless you are doing nothing but dungeons, not owning a GS will limit you and make you less efficient in other aspects of the game. For me that sounds narrow minded.

Nothing personal, but I would rather play my other classes than running around with my mesmer in the open world only using swords…

Yeah GS can be useful while zerging World Bosses in open world (coz you don’t see kitten with all the people ) but that’s it, there’s no place for it in dungeons in general. The only part I would use a GS is for CoF P1 to push the slave driver if my focus #4 isn’t ready coz we’re too fast

EDIT: I also use it for the molten fractal at the end to push the Protector away from the Core if no one else can push / pull it away since 1 focus pull isn’t enough, but you could just take Mantra of Distraction instead and interupt his shield ability

(edited by Jeremlloyd.6837)

in Mesmer

hendo.1940

Open world content is tedious, boring and generally just utter trash, so I don’t gear for it. When I do events for dragonite I just use sword/focus + sword/pistol

If I ever did WvW I’d buy one, and I use one in PvP.

And my view is pretty well representative of someone in a high level guild, and a number of people I know who are in other high level guilds (e.g. rT) don’t even have greatswords on their mesmer either.

I would too. Mesmer is literally the worst class in the game from a PvE perspective, and some of us in the guild are just shelving our mesmers despite spending god knows how much gold on them because they’re honestly just weak.

Sometimes I pull out my Staff/GS combo just to see how long it takes for someone to rage.

I have a fractal staff I purely use for posing on taking screenshots. I don’t even think I have the skills unlocked.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

I do not think there is too much more challenging content in dungeons either.

I have no idea what “high end” or “raiding” guilds would do in GW2 anyway. Those old dungeons can’t be the challenge you are looking for. Running the same old fractals?
Speed clearing dungeons is just a symptom for PvEers being bored.

But yeah, Mesmer + Dugeon = Sword/Sword + Sword/x.

I think this game has long ago reached the point where everything is ok though.

in Mesmer

hendo.1940

I do not think there is too much more challenging content in dungeons either.

For me personally, no. It’s just self-imposed challenges. I set myself the goal of a <5 minute Lupicus solo before the ferocity changes hit and spent two days at it and eventually got a 4:58. That was extremely challenging for me because to get a time like that has almost zero room for error where you need to be almost perfectly mitigating damage (and some hits just feel like pure RNG which is irritating) and you need to be maintaining solid DPS rotations.

Though it may or may not surprise you that a lot of people still struggle with Arah. I’ve played with forumers who were generally pretty inexperienced with it and had a bit of trouble with it, it’s not just ez mode stack in corner faceroll like people make it out to be.

I have no idea what “high end” or “raiding” guilds would do in GW2 anyway. Those old dungeons can’t be the challenge you are looking for. Running the same old fractals?
Speed clearing dungeons is just a symptom for PvEers being bored.

The dungeons are basically on farm, but fractals are fun because of the co-ordination required. The rewards are pretty terrible though.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

in Mesmer

Narsil.6579

If you’re on NA servers, drop me a message on Serah Mahariel and I can run it with you.

I prefer to play warrior but if you wanted to see how I performed versus bosses on mesmer I can do that too – though like I said, I’m horrific at Lupicus on mesmer.

Def would love to learn, I mainly PvP or WvW, I just speed clear or run dungeons when I need a new makeover kit, or name change. Currently moved to Vabbi cus i wanted a challenge, turns out Vabbi got semi bandwagoned xD

[HP/MM]Mesmer / Warrior
Borlis Noob / FergPug
Scout Sailor Moon