Chronomancer Playstyle

Chronomancer Playstyle

in Mesmer

Posted by: Treetoptrickster.4205

Treetoptrickster.4205

TLDR: the chronomancer doesn’t really change the way you play the profession like the other elite specs do. Maybe something defensive to match the shield or something revolving around periods of time that you need to work hard while they last to get the most out of like continuum split.

Elite specializations were advertised as a way to add a new way to play an existing class. A new weapon, new mechanics, new utilities, and a new trait line all designed around this theme and playstyle. We can see this in the slow, but unstoppable reaper with his cleaving melee attacks and use of chill as well as the Dragonhunter, who’s proficient at attacking from range, offering utility, support and damage while keeping enemies off of him and his allies. With the chronomancer, though, I feel like this wasn’t quite achieved. Don’t get me wrong; I like what I’m seeing, and I’ll definitely be making a chronomancer cuz they look cool, but I still feel as if they should have explored new mechanics besides cooldown reduction and adding another way to spawn clones and keep phantasms.

The Dragonhunter got the bow, and so naturally has ranged attacks as well as traits and utilities that benefit from range or at least can be used at range. Even the virtues were changed.

The Reaper’s Greatsword/Reaper’s Shroud skills allow him to be a destructive force on the front lines. His traits and shouts are made for being around as many enemies as you can.

Then there’s the Chronomancer. They got another shatter, which is understandable because the existing ones are kind of hard to completely change. This new shatter does somewhat offer a new playstyle that revolves around spamming all of your skills before you revert and then spamming them all again. The shield offers a defensive playstyle with two blocks and a projectile barrier, but neither the traits nor the wells really reflect either of those themes. The traits are essentially just a lot of existing mesmer mechanics with a timey twist. I like the wells the way they are, though.

I think it would be cool that if Anet altered the traits to reflect a role that offers strong defence through utility to match the shield. I know that some people would say “If I wanted to play a tank I would just role a guardian!” and that’s the sign that Anet have achieved what they originally wanted elite specs to be. People complain about how they never wanted a ranged Guardian, and some say they don’t like the idea of a melee necromancer; these complaints show that these elite specs actually have a new playstyle for people to dislike. I currently just feel like if I were to take the step and shift my mesmer to a chronomancer I wouldn’t be playing much differently from a regular mesmer. Interrupts are a base mesmer thing, shattering is a base mesmer thing, clone and phantasm generation is a base mesmer thing. Maybe some traits focused around periods of high action with a payoffs afterwards, like continuum split. A combat style revolving around windows of time when you need to work to achieve as much as possible, thus making quickness an even stronger, and still thematic aspect of the Chronomancer. “Danger Time” offers a great example of this. You want to hit an enemy as many times as possible while they’re slowed because you’ll be doing more damage to them. Another example of a possible chronomancer trait would be to heal and gain short duration stability every time you hit an enemy while under the effects of quickness. All about making the most of windows of opportunity.

I’m expecting maybe one person to actually agree with me here, but I do personally think that Anet should take a little time to play around more with the idea of a playstyle for the time mage.

(edited by Treetoptrickster.4205)

Chronomancer Playstyle

in Mesmer

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

I definitely would like a defender chronomancer build out of this, and the well of precognition certainly flows with your intended idea of windows of time to deliver certain attacks, and i certianly agree that the playstyle isn’t that different. But however there are now more methods of delivering an aoe attack now, three of the four utility wells deal damage and the elite also deals damage too. The other two wells can somewhat be considered support, the healing well provides vigor and a heal at the end and the well of precognition provides unblockable attacks and an assumed distortion at the end. I honestly wish we had more wells along those lines, or perhaps another trait that focuses on providing protection for allies affected by wells to stack with the condition removal wells trait. I adore the idea of a defensive mesmer.

Chronomancer Playstyle

in Mesmer

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

The traits for chronomancer are more than fine because it opens up the chance for viability of established playstyles that were heavily flawed.

Right now, the mesmer has 1 top tier viable pvp build, and its hardly ever run these days because it has its own problems, and it takes too much work to play compared to other meta builds. Builds that are good in theory, but never seen at all at the tournament level, include lockdown, phantasm, and condition shatter. Looking specifically at lockdown, we see that the reason its not viable now is because it lacks both damage on its own, and low cooldowns for burst spikes (from the current illusions cooldowns for phantasms and shatters) that really make it a poor choice. Chronomancy gives it the ability to manage cooldowns with alacrity, and the incentive to use shatters to gain that alacrity, as well as access to slow, quickness, or whatever, so it will have the spike damage and cooldown management to be a viable build.

So really, I guess the chronomancer doesn’t truly open up grand new playstyles for the mesmer, it just fixes the ones that were sub-par before as well as bringing the more effective ones up to new heights. And I can guarantee that the time travel mechanic will be a difficult concept to master that will push the skill cap of the mesmer to new heights.

Finally, wells, and the shield even are essentially the wet dream of the WvW veilbots. Now they too can have AoE damage and lootbags to their hearts content. While the mesmer has a lot of competition for util slots, the wells could also be really effective in conquest, the same way that it is for power necro wells right now.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Chronomancer Playstyle

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

TLDR: the chronomancer doesn’t really change the way you play the profession like the other elite specs do.

I’m having a hard time understanding your perspective given you haven’t played chronomancer yet, much less the other profession elite specializations.

I for one feel that alacrity is a brilliant mechanic that introduces even more complex gameplay building on what mesmer already possesses, but certainly can’t pass judgement on it (good or bad) until I’ve played it.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

Chronomancer Playstyle

in Mesmer

Treetoptrickster.4205

TLDR: the chronomancer doesn’t really change the way you play the profession like the other elite specs do.

I’m having a hard time understanding your perspective given you haven’t played chronomancer yet, much less the other profession elite specializations.

I for one feel that alacrity is a brilliant mechanic that introduces even more complex gameplay building on what mesmer already possesses, but certainly can’t pass judgement on it (good or bad) until I’ve played it.

Alacrity definatley is a cool new mechanic, but even it doesn’t open up a new playstyle so much as increase the rate you can do things in your current playstyle. With continuum split/shift you’ll also just be using your abilities more often instead of gaining new ones.

Chronomancer Playstyle

in Mesmer

Treetoptrickster.4205

The traits for chronomancer are more than fine because it opens up the chance for viability of established playstyles that were heavily flawed.

Right now, the mesmer has 1 top tier viable pvp build, and its hardly ever run these days because it has its own problems, and it takes too much work to play compared to other meta builds. Builds that are good in theory, but never seen at all at the tournament level, include lockdown, phantasm, and condition shatter. Looking specifically at lockdown, we see that the reason its not viable now is because it lacks both damage on its own, and low cooldowns for burst spikes (from the current illusions cooldowns for phantasms and shatters) that really make it a poor choice. Chronomancy gives it the ability to manage cooldowns with alacrity, and the incentive to use shatters to gain that alacrity, as well as access to slow, quickness, or whatever, so it will have the spike damage and cooldown management to be a viable build.

So really, I guess the chronomancer doesn’t truly open up grand new playstyles for the mesmer, it just fixes the ones that were sub-par before as well as bringing the more effective ones up to new heights. And I can guarantee that the time travel mechanic will be a difficult concept to master that will push the skill cap of the mesmer to new heights.

Finally, wells, and the shield even are essentially the wet dream of the WvW veilbots. Now they too can have AoE damage and lootbags to their hearts content. While the mesmer has a lot of competition for util slots, the wells could also be really effective in conquest, the same way that it is for power necro wells right now.

I’m kind of hoping that the chronomancer could be both. It could fill in the mesmer’s gaps in strengths, and through that, offer a new way to play that revolves around those strengths. Just as the necromancer lacked a decent melee cleaving weapon and the guardian lacked soft cc and a good, long ranged weapon, the shield could fill in the role of a mid ranged aoe/multi target cc and defencive weapon. I think the traits could still offer a way to strenghen existing builds, but through a way that’s completely unique to the chronomancer. For instance how it helps out phantasm builds by allowing them to be shattered and respawning them. It also adds a strong trait for interrupt builds. The issue I have is that both of those traits simply make exsisting mechanics better rather than different and better. Giving the guardian bleed and knockbacks on auto attacks is different. Giving the necromancer resistance to slowing effects and a melee death shroud is different. Another condition on interrupt? Another buff on shatter? Eehhhh.

I’m completely fine with wells, actually. They offer a new type of aoe damage/support skill that the mesmer kind of lacks and the idea of planning and timing your wells. They do have kind of a whole different idea of doing as much as you can with your given time. Crack down on foes while your attacks are unblockabke, try to interrupt and abuse your target while they’re slowed then do as much as you can while you have quickness and won’t get punished for, say, chanelling mantras, or try to be evasive while waiting for the big heal at the end. Wells aren’t simple ’ stand in the circle’ skills.

Most of what the chronomancer is is good. I just wish it could also be a bit more distinguished from the normal mesmer. To be completely honest, the only thing that I think truely needs a bit of work are the traits. A lot of them just kind of seem uninspired to me.

Chronomancer Playstyle

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

You make a very convincing argument on Chronomancer and how compared to others, the change in flavor is vanilla.

Unfortunately, when it comes to Mesmer mechanics and viability, anet is VERY far behind.. The change in core specs is a huge step up, and I think the Chronomancer elite spec is an offshoot of this as well.

That being said, that doesn’t change the wide opinion that the Chronomancer elite spec is a good one for the class, its mechanics and its viability across different game modes. I see this as more of a “fluffy” complaint that should be heavily considered for future elite specs. Don’t change anything with the line right now, because it’s near perfect!! (except for that wells trait. It should give Resistance at the end instead of encroaching on Null Field’s territory).

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

Chronomancer Playstyle

in Mesmer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

Hmm although I see what you’re saying, I think you’re selling Chronomancers a little short. It’s not “just” alacrity, which is pretty major in and of itself, but the playstyle is centered around the manipulation of time. Lots of Quickness, Slow, and of course Alacrity and Continuum Split.

The F5 skill will be a significant change in how Mesmers are played IMO, and overall Anet has solidified Shatters as a core profession mechanic for Mesmers that most builds will make at least some use of.

All of that leaves out Wells and the Shield, both of which bring major game-changing abilities to the Mesmer and their role in a team or zerg as well.

Alacrity can also not be underestimated. I mean it’s basically a significant new Boon that no one else has access. That’s pretty major, and could potentially provide a whole new role for Mesmers in organized PvP. Being able to lower CDs for your team has the potential to change battles. (If you can manage enough Alacrity uptime to achieve a 20% CD reduction for most of your teammates, this would be a pretty big deal.)

I agree with MailMail that aside from the Well trait, there isn’t much of anything I’d want to touch in the Chronomancy line as presented.

Chronomancer Playstyle

in Mesmer

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

How about a bunker slowmancer who spams high attack rate attacks to keep opponent slowed so you’re teammate won’t get killed so easily?

jks aside, you’re right that this doesn’t provide new gameplay. Maybe wells can bring some sort of synergy like necro wellmancer? Like gravity well + iLeap to root opponent, then calamity/recall (or together) for damage while you do other……stuff. That might not work though due to dev saying they’ll remove float in gravity well.

I think he’s asking about new playstyle Windwalker, not exactly undermining effectiveness of chronomancer.

Chronomancer Playstyle

in Mesmer

Treetoptrickster.4205

Hmm although I see what you’re saying, I think you’re selling Chronomancers a little short. It’s not “just” alacrity, which is pretty major in and of itself, but the playstyle is centered around the manipulation of time. Lots of Quickness, Slow, and of course Alacrity and Continuum Split.

The F5 skill will be a significant change in how Mesmers are played IMO, and overall Anet has solidified Shatters as a core profession mechanic for Mesmers that most builds will make at least some use of.

All of that leaves out Wells and the Shield, both of which bring major game-changing abilities to the Mesmer and their role in a team or zerg as well.

Alacrity can also not be underestimated. I mean it’s basically a significant new Boon that no one else has access. That’s pretty major, and could potentially provide a whole new role for Mesmers in organized PvP. Being able to lower CDs for your team has the potential to change battles. (If you can manage enough Alacrity uptime to achieve a 20% CD reduction for most of your teammates, this would be a pretty big deal.)

I agree with MailMail that aside from the Well trait, there isn’t much of anything I’d want to touch in the Chronomancy line as presented.

The thing is, quickness and slow just speed up what you already do. Although you could consider the goal of keeping yourself faster than your opponents in every respect a new way to play, I don’t think faster and slower is really new.

The new shatter is definatley a strong, cool new mechanic to play with. Although I personally wouldn’t change this or replace it, you have to admit that it is just kind of a reset button.

I’ve said in some replies that I’m completely fine with the shield and the wells. The shield offers defensive skills and a cooler way of affecting skill recharge than just increasing recharge rate. I wouldn’t mind them adding more ways to lower the cooldowns of your skills by interracting with your skills. For example, “All’s Well That Ends Well” could be changed to still have its condi removal, but also add a recharge effect. Maybe something along the lines of, ‘gaining alacrity reduces well recharges by x%’ or ‘being inside of your wells when they expire reduces well recharge by x%.’

Chronomancer Playstyle

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

I definitely see your point here, and I don’t know if I agree or disagree.

The way I see it: Reapers give a Melee option, DHunters give a Ranged option, Chronomancers allow a support option.

Mesmer support has always been rather meh. Strongish boonsharing when done right, but the process is overly complicated. Glamours are good but don’t merit a “support” build." The Inspiration line isn’t something you’ll often build from. We have a lot of good support options but yet still don’t quite have what it takes for a support build.

Chronomancer helps to fill in a couple gaps in the Mesmer style: AoE damage and meaningful supportive options. At the same time, it manages to enhance what we already have in just about every other build. I’ve always felt that Mesmer is a more “creative-oriented” class in that very little of our abilities are all that straight-forward. Guardians were build to support. Necros for condis. Rangers for ranged DPS. Eles/Engies for a bit of everything. Thieves for damage.

Mesmer? Moreso up to the user.

With Chronomancer I think they’re continuing that theme. They don’t wanna say “Chronomancer plays like this” so much as they want to give us some interesting tools to be creative with and say “How does your Chronomancer play?”

When you look at build possibilities, I feel Reapers are rather limited. Melee power DPS build… Melee condi DPS build… That’s about it. Dragon Hunters are mostly the same as well. Ranged power DPS or ranged condi DPS.

I see far more possibilities with Chrono, from melee to ranged to support to bunker to condi to power. How effective these possibilities are? We’ll have to see.

(edited by Chaos Archangel.5071)

Chronomancer Playstyle

in Mesmer

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Yeah I agree with Chaos for sure. The wells and shield were built with teamfights in mind. Still I’d say my only major complaints about how chrono is turning out is that we’ve recieved far less new skills than all the other revealed elite specs (and likely the future ones too) and it will be tough to actually slot wells given how in mesmer pvp at competitve levels, blink and portal are absolute musts, and giving up decoy for well of calamity or alacrity would mean far less personal survivability and ability to disengage. The elite well would be a bit easier to slot, but still if you’re team has a power necro you’re going to want moa, and mass invis does provide excellent rez opportunities, so there’d still be a tough trade off.

I don’t think the shield will be popular on burst oriented builds. I still view staff/GS as the greatest option overall, mainly because the GS is needed for the damage and staff is oh so handy for phase retreat and chaos storm alone. With shield you need sword, which works okay, but it can only really be used in 1v1s against squishy non-melee classes and for trying to spike some one offpoint in a teamfight. It lets you do marginally better against thieves, but makes you weaker to DPS guard and warriors compared to staff. And even then most mesmers will still value the stealth from the torch over the massive AoE stun from the shield. The shield would help in teamfights, but it’d be detrimental over other options in smaller fights.

I kind of wish the chronomancer had reworked shatters to be ground targeted AoE damage spikes, or instant cast damage spikes on a single target, that would remove the need for the clones to run up to the enemy to expode. It’d probably be too OP with far less counterplay. Still they could have turned distortion into continuum split, and altered the other shatters in some way to be different and probably more effective (especially if we had more control over them in that way, it would be brutally strong), but I don’t know if they’d be able to find a way to make it work thematically.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

(edited by nearlight.3064)

Chronomancer Playstyle

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

Btw, thanks for an interesting discussion! This is enjoyable!!

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”