5. Keitaro Dragonheart’s Trickster
  6. Menaka’s Nightmare
  7. DuckDuckBOOM’s Wastrel’s Reaver
  8. messiah’s deceptive mind
  9. Xstein’s Dementalist
  10. IonoI’s Twins
  11. OriOri’s Mirage
  12. Silverkey’s Enchanter

The votes are now open. You can either vote here or send me a message in-game if you prefer remaining anonymous

For those of you who submitted an elite spec, please do not vote for your own idea.

I don’t see Buton’s Butterfly Terminator in this list. It was the very first submission!

So easy to get overlooked with all the mindless spam in this thread…

[Closed] Design your elite spec contest

in Mesmer

Posted by: Arkanthor.2307

Arkanthor.2307

Well there we go. Sorry in advance for horrific mistakes as english is not my first languaje.

Mesmer elite Spec: The virtuoso
(I know someone else posted somethinc called like this but this is a different concept)

Weapon: Main hand pistol.
Utility skills0: ( Stage skills)
Mechanic: Modified shatters.

Background:
A virtuoso is an artist that treats each fight as an on-stage act. They place their illusions in order to create the perfect composition just before they perform the great finale with their ether powered guns.
They have access to main hand pistol as well as modified shatter skills that will provide a different strategy for a Mesmer where they can interact with their own illusions in order to control the battlefield or turn them into powerful magical bullets to finish off their enemies.
This spec relies on illusion management and shatter skills in order to be useful.

Modified shatter skills:

• [F1] Tragedy: (Shatter) Shatter one illusion. Fire a piercing bullet that will deal high damage.
    -Cooldown: 8 sec.
    -Damage: XXX (Medium base dmg, high power coefficient)
    -Piercing
    -Range 1200
    -Number of targets: 5
    -Combo finisher: Physical projectile.
    Priories clones over phantasms.
  • [F2] Melodrama: (Shatter) Shatter one illusion. Fire a piercing bullet that confuses your foe.
    -Cooldown: 12 sec.
    -Damage: XXX (Low base dmg, low power coefficient)
    -Confusion: (3sec) XXX damage on skill use, XXX damage per second
    -Piercing
    -Range 1200
    -Number of targets: 5
    Priorices clones over phantasms.
  • [F3] Comedy: (Shatter) Shatter one illusion. Fire a bullet that dazes your foe.
    -Cooldown: 30 sec.
    -Daze (1 sec)
    -Range 1200
    Priorices clones over phantasms.
  • [F4] Fadeout: (Shatter) Shatter one illusion. Gain Distortion. Can be cast up to 3 time before entering in cooldown for the next 1+1/2 seconds as long as there are active illusions.
    -Cooldown: 50 sec.
    -Distortion Evade all attacks 1 second per illusion shattered.
    Priories clones over phantasms.

Weapons skills (MH pistol):

• (1) – Shattered shot: Shot three piercing mirror shards at your foe.
    -Cast time: 1/2sec
    -Damage: 3 x XXX (Medium base dmg, high power coefficient)
    -Piercing
    -Range 1200
    -Number of targets per shard: 5
    -Combo finisher: Physical projectile. (20% chance)
    (It does work with Duelist discipline but has a great power coefficient too so it can go both in power and condi builds)
  • (2) – Mirrored duel: (Clone) Shot a piercing barrage to your enemy. Create a clone behind your target that casts Shattered shot.
    -Cast time: 1/2 sec.
    -Cooldown: 8 sec.
    -Damage: 6xXXX (Medium base dmg medium power coefficient)
    -Piercing
    -Range 1200
    -Number of targets: 3
    -Combo finisher: Physical projectile (20% chance).
  • (3) – Thrill the audience: Instantly immobilize and mark your foe. After a ¾ seconds shot a long range shot while eliminating two of their boons and dealing high damage.
    -Cast time: ¾ sec.
    -Cooldown: 16 sec.
    -Damage: XXX (High base damage high power coefficient)
    -Inmobilize: 2 sec.
    -Boons removed: 2
    -Range: 1500
    (This skill deals HUGE damage but travels in a straight line. If the target cleanses thbe immobilized status and sidesteps the skill won´t hit.)
Thanks to my illusions this combat is nothing but a stage scene.
You should prepare for your great finale.

in Mesmer

Arkanthor.2307

UTILITY SKILS (STAGE):
These skills create spaced that produce special effects, but are affected by distinct traits than glamour skills.

Room of Recovery (Heal): Heal yourself. Create a room that pulses healing to allies and reduce the damage they take by 10%.
-Cooldown: 25 sec.
- Initial healing: XXX (Medium)
-Healing:4xXXX (Low)
-Damage reduction 10%.
-Duration 4 seconds.
-Range 900.
-Number of targets: 5.
-Area: 400 units. (Square shaped)
-Combo field: Water.
Room of power: Create a room that increases damage done by allies by 10%.
-Cooldown: 20 sec.
- Damage enhancement: 10%
-Duration 6 seconds.
-Range 900.
-Combo field: Ethereal.
Room of fire: Create a room that burns enemies and grants increased chance at triggering finishers to allies.
-Cooldown: 14 sec.
-Damage 6x XXX (low base damage medium power coefficient)
- Inflict burning.
-Increased finisher chance: + 30%
-Duration 6 seconds.
-Range 900.
-Combo field: Fire.
Room of solitude: Create a room that damages and knocks back those that cross its limits.
-Cooldown: 35 sec.
- Damage 6x XXX (low base damage medium power coefficient)
-Duration 6 seconds.
-Range 900.
-Knockback.
-Combo field: Ethereal.
Room of nightmares: Create a room witch closing spiked walls that start to get closer to each other. When a foe touches the walls it will receive massive damage and be stunned. If its caster is dazed or stunned the walls will stop moving and dealing their contact effect to the enemies during the disable duration allowing them to escape. Room of nightmares only disappears when its four walls had collided to each other.
-Cast time: 1 sec.
-Cooldown: 75 sec.
-Damage XXX (huge base damage high power coefficient)
- Stun (2 seconds)
-Duration 8 seconds.
-Range 900.
-Area: 650 units. (Square shaped)
-Combo field: Darkness.

TRAITS:

Minor adept:
Artistic perception: Gain access to Main hand pistol, Stage skills and modifies shatter skills. Shatter skills only destroy one illusion prioritizing clones and take the form of shots that cause different effects.
Adept tier:
Welcome to my reality: If the Virtuoso stands inside the limits of a stage skills he deals 10% increseased damage . Stage skill cooldowns are reduced by 20%.
Glitter powder:Critical strikes cause confusion to foes. ICD: 3Sec
Fluid movement:Shatter skills grant 10% attack speed for 4 seconds.
Minor master:
Loaded with art:If your shatter skills Tragedy, Melodrama and Comedy destroy one illusion on use, part of their cooldown is refunded.
Upon casting Tragedy: Cooldown reduced to 3 Seconds.
Upon casting Melodrama: Cooldown reduced to 5 Seconds.
Upon casting Comedy: Cooldown reduced to 15 Seconds.
(Because of baseline Illusionary persona, shatter skills can be used without illusions. This trait encourages the use of illusions in order to amplify the damage and provides a sustained damage capability to shatter skills. )

Master tier:
Artistic space: Cast Room of Power on your position when shattering a phantasm. ICD: 20 sec.
Burning passion: Burn your foe whenever you or your illusions perform a finisher.
Mirror´s edge: Enemies entering or exiting stage skills will receive damage bleeding and light cripple.
Minor grandmaster:
Main cast: Grant 1% increased damage to yourself and up to nine player allies. Each of your illusions grant 3% increased damage up to a total of 10%.
(The buff lasts 5 seconds and is reapplied each 2 seconds but it doesn’t stack in duration. This allows a Mesmer to maintain the whole buff if he recasts an illusion fast enough.)
Grandmaster tier:
-Unreal performance: Increase the damage of your clones by 10000%.
-Great finale:All of your phantasms attack each time you shatter a phantasm.
-Right on cue: Whenever you cast Tragedy, Melodrama or Comedy, each of your illusions cast a copy of that spell that has half of it damage and effects.

in Mesmer

Arkanthor.2307

Again sorry for appearing so late it took lots of time to format.

(I hope it isn´t super overpowered tho)

My vote goes for Silver´s enchanter.

in Mesmer

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Overall, a lot of individual good ideas here and there but I felt that most of the elite specs fell flat because they broke this very reasonable rule: As any elite specialization, it needs to work with core mesmer skills and traits and if possible have synergies with them! Or they were just hella OP. In the end my personal two favorites were decided because they work with the base class, rework the F1-F4 instead of giving a new F5, overall balance is sound and a they add a new feel/flavor and I could actually see myself using these in both PvE and PvP.

Absolutely not trying to sway your opinion at all. I’m just curious since I did end up throwing my idea together fairly quickly, was my spec one of the ones that you felt didn’t synergize with core mesmer very well? I tried to design it around what I believe to be the core idea behind mesmer of manipulating the reality that your opponents see and confusion, but in order to get it in on time I did not think about base skills and whether my spec would synergize with them well or not.

This feedback is just for personal improvement.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

So, I can now close the contest. Here are the different contestants:

1. Zintrothen’s Siren
  2. SaltAndLight’s Enchanter
  3. thunderfall’s Prophet
  4. Ghotistyx’s Magician
  6. Menaka’s Nightmare
  9. Xstein’s Dementalist
  10. IonoI’s Twins
  11. OriOri’s Mirage

The votes are now open. You can either vote here or send me a message in-game if you prefer remaining anonymous

For those of you who submitted an elite spec, please do not vote for your own idea.

I don’t see Buton’s Butterfly Terminator in this list. It was the very first submission!

I focused only on the detailed ideas. But you had a very solid concept, and I would not be surprised that a-net’s design will eventually reach something similar.

in Mesmer

Posted by: DuckDuckBOOM.4097

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

Overall, a lot of individual good ideas here and there but I felt that most of the elite specs fell flat because they broke this very reasonable rule: As any elite specialization, it needs to work with core mesmer skills and traits and if possible have synergies with them! Or they were just hella OP. In the end my personal two favorites were decided because they work with the base class, rework the F1-F4 instead of giving a new F5, overall balance is sound and a they add a new feel/flavor and I could actually see myself using these in both PvE and PvP.

Absolutely not trying to sway your opinion at all. I’m just curious since I did end up throwing my idea together fairly quickly, was my spec one of the ones that you felt didn’t synergize with core mesmer very well? I tried to design it around what I believe to be the core idea behind mesmer of manipulating the reality that your opponents see and confusion, but in order to get it in on time I did not think about base skills and whether my spec would synergize with them well or not.

This feedback is just for personal improvement.

So for example, you and Xstein have rather similar thing called insanity/manic.

Phosphene: Apply insanity when you interrupt. Chaotic confusion: Chaos armor can now apply insanity. These allow old abilities to utilize insanity. Furthermore, the utilities and axe have insanity synergy built into them.

You don’t mention manic at all until your traits. Cantrips give manic if traited. Axe (not any other weapon) gives mamic if traited. And then there is a weird GM trait that uses up manic but doesn’t give a benefit for doing so. So as an elite spec, if I want to use manic at all, I’m forced to use the new stuff and there is some weird tear down mechanic that only works with cantrips.

Furthermore, there are also A LOT of confusion traits but almost nothing like mistrust, ineptitude or the old glamour traits. This was the biggest red flag for me. The 2nd major master is like this but then turbo OP with basically double confusion damage AND 50% longer duration. Scepter 3 would be a nightmare. With illusions giving 33% bonus duration, having 83% without any condi duration is overtuned on its own. You have 3 traits that defend against confusion but who really applies confusion often enough to make these matter (asides from this elite spec ^^).

I think a better way of going about designing an elite spec is think of 3 concepts you want the build to do. Pick something generic like support, DPS, condi, tank, heal, or even manic. Try to have a single row do that thing well. Obviously there will be overlap but try to have some purity in there. I don’t mean Axe as a row!. Your axe has 3 traits. Max 1. If you really want confusion to be a thing, have a single row. Not the entire major master trait section and then more.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

I made some updates because I only recently realized I had some text and formatting errors (embarrassing!). I also changed the name to be a little more precise. I have a specific idea in my head concerning the elite spec, and its difficult to really put that concept into words. It certainly doesn’t help when terms you wanted to use are already representing something else.

I’d also be interested in feedback, as I specifically made sure my ideas had at least one way to interact with each core Mesmer spec. I also tried to run a few things through different scenarios to make sure things didn’t get crazy. I’m interested in hearing what parts people didn’t like and why. It doesn’t just have to be duck, I’m eager to hear all criticism.

Fishsticks

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

You didn’t even mention the spec I put out in the voting :P

Mesmerising Girl

in Mesmer

Silverkey.2078

You didn’t even mention the spec I put out in the voting :P

This is nothing personal, I focused on the elite spec suggestions that had a full concept (skills, traits, mechanics etc…). You had an overall idea but no details. I won’t prevent people from voting for you, but you do not appear on the list.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

So, I can now close the contest. Here are the different contestants:

1. Zintrothen’s Siren
  2. SaltAndLight’s Enchanter
  3. thunderfall’s Prophet
  4. Ghotistyx’s Magician
  6. Menaka’s Nightmare
  9. Xstein’s Dementalist
  10. IonoI’s Twins
  11. OriOri’s Mirage

I focused only on the detailed ideas. But you had a very solid concept, and I would not be surprised that a-net’s design will eventually reach something similar.

Industry Merit, YES!

~Wins by technicality.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tseison.4659

Tseison.4659

Hmm; if I knew this was going on I would’ve joined. But you all can take a look at my Mesmer Elite Spec below. Overall these are some ‘okay’ ES, but could defiantly need some touching up and balancing especially with our core mesmer traits.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Elite-Specialization-Pistol-Main-Hand-1/first#post6271471

(edited by Tseison.4659)

in Mesmer

Silverkey.2078

We have all in all 1 vote so far. Please everyone give your opinion!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zintrothen.1056

Zintrothen.1056

Maybe make a poll somewhere to make voting easier?

in Mesmer

Silverkey.2078

Not a bad idea actually. We lose a bit of control (like not voting for self) but it may attract votes.
http://www.strawpoll.me/11519530

DuckDuckBOOM please recast your vote in this to keep updated.

in Mesmer

Zintrothen.1056

It’s far too overwhelming to go through all these at once, so it’s gonna take a while for me to pick someone. When do you plan to end voting? End of November?

in Mesmer

Silverkey.2078

My plan was to end tomorrow, but considering the very few votes so far, I will probably postpone.

in Mesmer

Silverkey.2078

So let me try a new tentative time for the end of voting: 6th november (included).

in Mesmer

Arkanthor.2307

It looks like not much people has voted. Maybe sharing this thread on reddit or something may help?

in Mesmer

Zintrothen.1056

Yeah. The forums don’t get much activity, so this should be shared on other media before voting is closed. In fact, with more people aware of this contest at all, we could even get more entries. The more the better!

in Mesmer

Silverkey.2078

Can one of you share it on reddit?

in Mesmer

Zintrothen.1056

I’ve never even used Reddit believe it or not, so can’t be me!

in Mesmer

Silverkey.2078

So after a pretty long time, I think we can close this vote. Next time if I make such contest, I will put it on reddit, but for now, this should be enough.

The final podium is

1. Zintrothen’s Siren with 6 votes
  2. messiah’s deceptive mind and Stein’s Dementalist with 5 votes each

Congratulations to you and all other participants. I will send the price to Zintrothen today.