December 10th Update Notes: Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

(Nothing but buffs! Huzzah!)

Mesmer

The bulk of the mesmer changes are focused on two things: 1) Increasing some of the mesmer support traits and condition-removal traits. 2) Reducing the dependency on certain trait lines. The changes to Mender’s Purity and Shattered Conditions as well as the move of Dazzling Glamours to the Adept tier are meant to accomplish the first of these two. The changes to Shattered Strength and Illusionist’s Celerity accomplish the second goal. Before this change, mesmers needed to place 25 points into Illusions for many of their builds. Now they can place only 15 points to get the illusion cooldown reduction, which will give them back 10 more trait points to open up some new builds. Finally, we felt that the mantra-centric traits were fairly difficult to collect. Moving Mantra Mastery to the Adept tier takes some trait pressure off of the Dueling line, allowing mantra mesmers to gain a good trait with only 10 points.

DOMINATION

• Domination XII—Confounding Suggestions: This trait now also increases daze duration by 25%.

DUELING

• Dueling VI—Mantra Mastery: Moved to the Adept tier.
  • Dueling VII—Protected Mantras: Moved to the Master tier. Increased the toughness from 400 to 600.

CHAOS

• Chaos I—Chaotic Revival: Reduced the cooldown from 35 seconds to 10 seconds.
  • Chaos VII—Mirror of Anguish: Reduced the cooldown from 90 seconds to 60 seconds.
  • Chaos 25—Chaotic Transference: Increased the conversion from 5% to 10%.

INSPIRATION

• Inspiration IV—Mender’s Purity: This trait now removes 2 conditions.
  • Inspiration XI—Shattered Conditions: Increased the radius from 240 to 600.

ILLUSIONS

• Illusions VI—Dazzling Glamours: Moved to the Adept tier.
  • Illusions VIII—Illusionary Invigoration: Reduced the recharge from 90 seconds to 60 seconds. Moved to the Master tier.
  • Illusions 15—Illusionist’s Celerity: Moved to the Master tier.
  • Illusions 25—Shattered Strength: Moved to the Grandmaster tier.

Bug Fixes
- Ether Feast: Fixed a bug that was preventing the heal amount per illusion to properly scale with healing power.
- Temporal Enchanter: Fixed an issue that caused this trait to display multiple durations on glamour skills.

New Healing Skill

Signet of the Ether (35 second cooldown)

• Signet Passive: Regenerate health based on the number of active illusions you control.
  • Signet Active: *Heal yourself and recharge all phantasm skills.

- Healing: 5,563 (0.84)?
- Passive Heal—1 Illusion: 340 (0.04)
- Passive Heal—2 Illusions: 661 (0.08)
- Passive Heal—3 Illusions: 976 (0.14)
Interval: 3 s

(edited by Chaos Archangel.5071)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zoser.7245

Zoser.7245

I was doing the same (starting a new topic) but I had to relog. Time to read carefully and start to think what to do since now.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

Disappointed they went through with the heal to be honest.

I just tried this out in a PvP match for the first time. I think I got below half health once and had to hit the signet.

Only weird part was getting used to running around not healed up with a healing skill not on cooldown, but I guess that’s true of any healing signet.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dhampyr.2104

Dhampyr.2104

What’s the CD on the signet?

Eve Morrow, Mesmer, Eve Flamescythe, Ele
Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jedge.3619

Jedge.3619

What’s the CD on the signet?

35 Seconds Base. 28 If Traited : )

What a Churlundalo

in Mesmer

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

Couple of questions:
- Has anything changed about scepter for Mesmers? It was discussed in the dev thread.
- Did anything change about the vigor-on-crit trait in Dueling?
- Is craftable ascended armor in the game now? I didn’t see it in the patch notes, but there’s a gallery of armor images on Dulfy.

Thx!

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

Couple of questions:
- Has anything changed about scepter for Mesmers? It was discussed in the dev thread.
- Did anything change about the vigor-on-crit trait in Dueling?

No (not in patch notes anyway)

- Is craftable ascended armor in the game now? I didn’t see it in the patch notes, but there’s a gallery of armor images on Dulfy.

Yes

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

@eldenbri
- I don’t se there’s any change to scepter.
- Luckily for us, we still have perma vigor.
- Yes, they are available. You need to buy the recipes first.

About the changes, all they’ve put is what we knew 1 month ago with the exception of Confounding Suggestions. A little bump to the hybrid PU build, some buffs to support on small scale fights and duels, and the nice bump of illusion Celerity.

Thanks that this patch doesn’t affect to my theorycrafting zerg build.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

Is warden fixed?

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

in Mesmer

Qaelyn.7612

I think I found at least one practical weakness with the healing signet: the long cooldown puts you in a conundrum in situations where you’re down on health, have a short breather, but not long enough for combat to reset. Normally in that situation I’d hit my heal knowing it would cool down quickly enough that I’d be okay to use it again fairly soon. But untraited, that 35s makes using it a tough choice if, say, at half health.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aleph Naught.9034

Aleph Naught.9034

Of course another practical weakness with the healing signet is that it is simply much worse than Ether Feast.

• It doesn’t do squat when you have no illusions up
  • If you manage to keep 3 illusions up for 20 seconds you’ll still get healed for less than if you use Ether Feast when you have 3 illusions up
  • Active CD is too long so if you are in a situation where you have to use it, you’ll probably die soon after anyway

I imagine it can (maybe, who knows) get some use in PvE, but frankly can’t see it being useful in any other parts of the game.

Mild Delirium | Innuendum [ENDO] | Gandara

in Mesmer

Posted by: Eatpies.6598

Eatpies.6598

I would have rather seen the healing signet be based around illusion death/shatter as Ether Feast already fulfils the role of a heal scaling off number of active illusions. If the signet healed you every time an illusion is shattered or killed then It would synergise well with shatter and on clone death builds. It would also be more active, instead of just sitting here and passively granting regen, you would have more control over it and could perform bursts of healing with things like mirror images + mind wrack.

in Mesmer

Qaelyn.7612

Yeah Aleph, just did my first match where I wished I had Ether Feast.

I think it’s one of those things that will take some tinkering with to figure out when to take it. And that’s a good thing, really.

in Mesmer

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

I’m def. anxious to try out the new heal. I run a 30/30/10/0/0 phantasm & clone spam build with near perma vigor. I’m usually always in situations where all of my clones are up. Wouldn’t touch the new heal in a zerg battle but for my roaming small party needs this might work really well with my build.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

Signet works extremly great in PvE with the warden

Also I could imagine that the combination with Phantasm – Signet – Phantasm could really change a whole duel. You don’t just heal up but also have the chance to hit twice as hard.
IMO this skill really needs to be used by really good mesmers that know when they can take profit in having 2 phantasms of the same type summoned quite fast.
I’m going to create a build with that one for wvw roaming that can spike with phantasms.

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dhampyr.2104

Dhampyr.2104

Signet works extremly great in PvE with the warden

Also I could imagine that the combination with Phantasm – Signet – Phantasm could really change a whole duel. You don’t just heal up but also have the chance to hit twice as hard.
IMO this skill really needs to be used by really good mesmers that know when they can take profit in having 2 phantasms of the same type summoned quite fast.
I’m going to create a build with that one for wvw roaming that can spike with phantasms.

This is exactly where I think money will be made using this signet. You heal, then immediately summon 1-2 more phants for a quick spike in damage. Haven’t used it yet, but sure sounds like it could potentially turn the tide in a small scale fight.

Eve Morrow, Mesmer, Eve Flamescythe, Ele
Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

Well I like the buffs. But I’m kinda annoyed wih how the intro said "before the changes, most Mesmer builds needed to put 25 points in illusions, which limited build diversity.

The thing that annoys me, is that completely wasnt true. At all. We actually avoided IC for the most part, becuase it was such a huge investment. As far as I know, only shatter used IC.

Either the balance team just wanted to make it sound more awesomer than it is to casual players who don’t know an awfull lot, or they just have no idea how to balance Mesmer :/.

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fhaeris.9237

Fhaeris.9237

Is warden fixed?

Nope.

in Mesmer

Qaelyn.7612

One thing’s for sure — it’s not the no-brainer a lot of folks said it would be. At least, I don’t find that to be the case.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gizuko.5734

Gizuko.5734

I think they switched IC for phantasm builds’ shake, specially in pve, where the most renowned builds picked either 20Dom or 25Illusions, “wasting” the might on shatter minor if you went for the IC build (because, although I love shattering and spicing adistortion up sounds good enough, you shouldn’t be shattering all that much).

(Though that was 1~2 months ago, dunno what happened after I stopped playing in late october)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tuomas.6284

Tuomas.6284

Really Qaelyn? Mesmer was my first character and I still play from time to time but the buffs mesmers got and this heal are just promoting dull play as it stands now. As much fun as I had and still can have with the blackwater build, the skillfloor is low and the way it encourages passive play is just bad for pvp imo. For some this heal skill just adds to the passive play or gives an easy phantasm burst. Overall I might take out my mesmer again and enjoy this while it lasts.

Recap: I play a mesmer myself and they did not need some of these buffs and the heal just promotes the already cheesy builds. I fyi I am speaking mostly from a roaming and casual solotourney point of view. All you have to do is step into pvp and you can already see how there are even more mesmers than usual and there is a reason for that.

in Mesmer

Qaelyn.7612

I don’t play straight BW, it may be extremely useful there. It could be useful in a lot of builds.

It’s just not an “add this to any mesmer build OMG OP” ability like many have been carrying on about, IMO. There are places where it’s not appropriate even in a phantasm build, and then of course there are shatter builds.

I’ll admit that it’s hard to judge. I sometimes find myself running around wishing I had more healing, but then that happens to me with Ether Feast also.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Wolvenheart.9681

Wolvenheart.9681

It might be nice in PvE, but I don’t see it working that well in PvP or WvWvW for the simple reason that clones die way too fast or are used for other means other than letting them stay up to deal damage.

Also since the passive doesn’t heal out of combat, I don’t think it’s that useful if you’re between fights.

however, would all the when you’re healed traits be activated whenever it ticks every 3 seconds?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xovian.8572

Xovian.8572

The thing that annoys me, is that completely wasnt true. At all. We actually avoided IC for the most part,

Speak for yourself.

The hit to “on death” builds was significant when they changed it from an adept to a grand master, in fact it basically broke it. You’re being a bit short sighted if you think it didn’t cripple quite a few builds though. At least those that relied on both clones and phantasms being up at all times.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Noss.4105

Noss.4105

I don’t like IC. It affects close to half of our weapon skills, and for one trait that’s pretty sick. Especially for minor trait. Before the patch I was totally cool without getting it, but now it’s just too darn close!

To encourage more build diversity, maybe there’s shouldn’t be a trait “that’s needed for most mesmer builds”

N*** Dew Gunnar’s Hold
WvW Roaming with Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

Speak for yourself.

The hit to “on death” builds was significant when they changed it from an adept to a grand master, in fact it basically broke it. You’re being a bit short sighted if you think it didn’t cripple quite a few builds though. At least those that relied on both clones and phantasms being up at all times.

It’s true that hit quite hard most of builds, as nearly all builds since release had it. But it’s also true that this change opened a lot of doors for mesmers. It was the first time that the illusion line was not useful for a lot of builds.
Also, with the remodelation of PU, most mesmers changed their playstyle. Think about it, how many build based on clone-death were before the IC change? How many people theorycrafted with lockdown builds?

Yes, it hit hard, but the change also showed us that IC is not as awesome as we though. With the time we have seen the base CD’s are good enough, and now this trait will be taken mostly by shatter mesmers (obviously) and pve DPS optimizers.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

in Mesmer

Posted by: Menaka.5092

Menaka.5092

Not much love for my frontline builds

in Mesmer

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

I don’t like IC. It affects close to half of our weapon skills, and for one trait that’s pretty sick. Especially for minor trait. Before the patch I was totally cool without getting it, but now it’s just too darn close!

To encourage more build diversity, maybe there’s shouldn’t be a trait “that’s needed for most mesmer builds”

I agree, and wish they would either get rid of or rework IC. It’s a boring trait that affects our potency way too much.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

We better split up the threads don’t you think so too?

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

The thing that annoys me, is that completely wasnt true. At all. We actually avoided IC for the most part,

Speak for yourself.

How did you make on-death builds with 25 in illusions? That seems like a very bad choice to me. Or maybe you should just read my post again.

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

You could do on-death builds with 25 illusions, Alissah. 10/25/10/0/25, it’s got all the necessities. OTOH, with IC dropped by 10 points, there’s now an option to do
10/25/20/0/15 or 10/25/10/10(for mender’s)/15. Which, of course, leads to diverse methods of clone-bombing.

Also, I’d freaking LOVE it if Mesmer C/Ds were readjusted so as to make IC less “needed” for most builds. It’s a bit ridiculous that any Trait lynchpins a class’ efficiency so kittened much.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

(edited by Advent.6193)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xovian.8572

Xovian.8572

How did you make on-death builds with 25 in illusions? That seems like a very bad choice to me. Or maybe you should just read my post again.

It wasn’t 25 points when i ran the build (from release), it was 5 until it got changed to be a grand master trait (25). I’ve been running clone on death builds from release. Needless to say I didn’t do as well after the change. It broke it by a mere 5 points, but broke it non-the-less.

The recent change has made it better but still not optimal as it was.
Though admittedly there are better options to choose from given all the changes since those earlier changes.

Edit: Changed from not used to showing it was less effective, because i’ve never stopped using clone on death builds (non PU).

(edited by Xovian.8572)