Dom/Chaos/Chrono - From Lockdown to Clockdown

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

(PVP)

I tried to explore a bit more builds for this beta, but I found that I wasn’t very successful. It’s not for lack of viable builds to try out:

• Dom/Dueling still goes with everything, even Chronomancy.
  • Chaos/Illusions Makes for an interesting condi build
  • Dueling/Illusions Makes for an interesting Phantasm-Shatter or pure Phantasm
  • Dom/Illusions Makes for a pure Phantasm build
  • Chaos/Inspiration For an awesome support build.

There is a lot you can pair up with Chronomancy and still come out with a pretty viable build. But for me specifically, one build pulled at my heart and never let go; never left any room for me to show love to any other spec.

Clockdown – Domination / Chaos / Chronomancy

• Sword+Shield/Staff (Or Greatsword)
  • Runes of Hoelbrak – Sigils of Fire/Energy/Hydromancy(on staff) – Marauder Amulet

Here’s a video of the build in a ranked match.
Edit: Well that video kind of sucks for the sake of demonstrating the build.. but this one doesn’t!
—-

THE UNEXPECTED BUILD THAT SHOULD’VE BEEN EXPECTED

The thing is, with all the builds I had theorycrafted in anticipation for the beta (especially regarding support builds) I had never actually expected this particular setup to become my main build. I was simply experimenting with a well build, and my thought process went a little something like this …

Me: Alright, so .. Wells. First up, I’ll need a way to keep people from moving out of wells, so that must mean..

Chaos: You already know, buddy. ;D When have I ever let you down?

Me: Chaotic Interruption makes sense, each interrupt will keep them trapped in a well. And so does using staff, I mean all the wells are Ethereal fields, so …

Chaos Exactly! I was made for a Well build! Ethereal Fields, Staff Traited for Chaos Armor, Chaos STORM! Alacrity! =D Your staff cooldowns will wither! And Chaotic Interruption is also BOUNTIFUL interruption! Meaning each interrupt will make your wells do more damage.

Me: You’re gonna stop cutting me off, Chaos line.

Chaos: … Sorry boss.

Me: Alright, so Chronomancer, Chaos .. that leaves one more traitline to specialize in.

Inspiration: Oh boy! =D You know how much you love playing support, so-

Me: Dueling! Clone production and damage!

Dueling: Sweet!

Inspiration: … Oh, well.. I guess that works too…

DUELING/CHAOS/CHRONO – ALMOST PARADISE

So my first attempt ended up being Dueling/Chaos/Chrono. Dueling’s Deceptive Evasion grandmaster adds an element of smoothness to the build, making it easy to pump out clones and shatter when needed for both offense and defense. I also figured that Blinding Dissipation would help keep me safe while inside of my wells. I ended up grabbing Phantasmal Fury – Blinding Dissipation – Deceptive Evasion.

With a steady supply of perma fury, vigor on crit and blind on shatter, Dueling offered me plenty to work with. iWarlock hit like a truck, I had shatters out the butt and I felt pretty kitten versatile. It was a lot to manage and a very technical build, sure, but nothing that I felt was particularly beyond me.

Yet I felt… Off.

Me: Sorry Dueling, but it’s just not working out.

Dueling: What do you mean its not working out? Dueling always works out! In any build! Look! /flex

Me: Yeah, and you work in this build, but you don’t excel in it… I just don’t feel like I’m getting enough benefit from specializing in you.

Dueling: Two words, buddy: Deceptive freakin’ Evasion.

Me: That’s thre-

Chaos: Get outta here Dueling! You think you’re so popular because everyone always takes you well not this time! Right boss!?

Me: … >_> This is getting weird even for me.

Inspiration: So.. Without Dueling, I guess that means some survivability and sustain are needed huh? Have you TRIED Mental Defense out with Chronophantasma and Signet of the Ether? =D Now’s the time right? Right?

Me: Right. Now is the time for Domination.

Inspiration: … Oh man. =[

SOMETIMES POTENTIAL JUST ISN’T ENOUGH

Despite the potential damage, I wasn’t hitting hard enough. Plus.. Shatter-based builds really aren’t my playstyle, so Domination was next. I wanted damage and more control, and even though Confounding Suggestions didn’t feel like the best fit (though, admittedly, without Mantra of Distraction it always feels weird.) and I didn’t have the best clone production to make use of Shattered Concentration, I was nailing interrupts left and right even without trying, which meant I needed Halting Strike Power Block.

Oh.. What a difference just one trait can make.

Shield has two chances of interruption, Chaos Storm has 6 chances of interrupting, Gravity Well has 3 chances of interrupting and I always have the on-demand interrupt of [F3]. But lets rewind a bit to Gravity Well.

Gravity Well (or tides of time) + Halting Strike is such a win! The damage is fantastic, and allows me to make a build that doesn’t focus on shatters but still has to make tactical and intelligent use of them.

Here’s a video of skcamow and I kicking butt on Chrono.

(edited by Chaos Archangel.5071)

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

ADD SOME SPICES TO THE MAIN COURSE

.. Runes and Sigils were a given:

• Runes of Hoelbrak: Combines with Time Marches On (-20% Cripple/Chill/Immob) to grant me -40% Cripple/Chill/Immob & -20% all other condis
  • Sigil of Hydromancy Adds a bit of damage to staff as well as helps with defense (phase retreat)
  • Sigil of Fire and Energy Fire helps me reveal stealthed enemies, Energy gives me doj!

These are pretty staple for me. I always grab Hydromancy on staff (try it and you’ll see) and fire/energy add a needed bit of extra utility. Not much to say here other than I could’ve gone with..

Pack Runes
Strength Runes
Lyssa Runes
Mesmer Runes

or

Sigils of Air
Sigil of Generosity
Sigil of Purity

AND THEN CAME THE TRAINING…

Training with Tek Pulse

Tek trains with top Mesmers all the time, and he was putting a LOT of work into Chrono, he was all too happy to help me get indoctrinated into my build (and high-level dueling) by beating my kitten .

The only win I get is at the very end of the clip, everything else is a painful learning experience, but each fight I adapt more and more as Tek guides me with advice.

Training with Tek pt2

By the end of our training, I felt WAY better on Clockdown and much more powerful, so I’d say those 40 minutes were worth it. So much so that I challenged Tek to a master of the universe ULTIMATE BATTLE OF MEN

… And lost. =[

HOW ABOUT A SECOND OPINION?

Also, FirehawkDAR.9021 did some tests on Clockdown (using greatsword instead of staff in PvP). He was kind enough to send me his notes!

“First, it’s been the most fun build I have played with mesmer since the Apocalypse patch which killed every retaliation phantasm builds that existed. It offers a good deal of damage, CC and sustain by ways of shield skills and interrupts which can keep the mesmer in control of the situation. It is not an almighty build though, it has its weaknesses.

• Guardians have access to ludicrous amounts of blocks and invulnerability from their elites and weapon skills while they can also unleash the single most disgusting condition as of now in PvP, burning. Since Clockdown has limited condition clear, an encounter with even one guardian can be the end of this mesmer, so engaging them requires a high amount of experience and utilities.*
  • Warriors have their difficulty mainly in their stances which nullify incoming damage for a time, but become much more managable once they wore off making it possible to win if you know what you are doing. Beware of GS players though, they can cleave you down due to having no toughness.*
  • Rangers are hard to say how hard they can be to kill. Most of who I fought just spammed their LB skills without much success and the sheer amount of stuns and rupts melted them down over time. Rampage as One complicates this however due to providing stability and other benefits, so caution is advised one running into one.*
  • Engineers are a pain, they have obscene degrees of survivalibility from toughness and sustain helping them in teamfights, while they also possess significant damage and sometimes condi spam. They are one of the less pleasant classes to fight.*
  • ASSassins can be a kitten or simple. If they do hit-and-run attacks, they will likely kill you since you won’t have time to react and just burst you down once you’re vunerable. Close range spammers on the other hand die very quickly since because that’s where CM is the strongest, therefore it can go either way.*
  • Necros can either die or kill you it comes down to how much LF and damage they have. Still, unlike Terrormancers and Doomfire runners, most I have seen seemed to be providing a challenging but winnable setup leaning to the mesmer.*
  • Eles are eles. Until they have stability and can regenerate with water there’s little to do but force them to shoot their CDs which is not easy by any standards. Coupled with their damage, they are not worth the time fighting 1on1.*
  • Other mesmers are tricky. I have run into builds that bursted me down in seconds with full stacks of vulnerability while others were not as painful. Problem with them is they have clone on dodge, Clockdown doesn’t. Your mesmer lacks Decoy too meaning once they get you in their sights, the odds are against you. This is another one of the plays that are not fun to fight against.*
  • As for revenants, they are op. They have disgustingly strong damage and sustain too, which kills off any chance to beat down with this mesmer. Even if condi is effective on them, it has pretty much zero to offer in that regard, so they should be avoided when roaming.*

For weapons, I use GS not staff. It has more offensive options and better damage for any range, so the only advantage with staves is that it’s better at defense.
With elites, the gravity well is a viable choice with half the CD time warp has, and even with a smaller radius, it can be very strong.

As for runes, swapping Hoelbraks for Rune of the Ice might also be a possibility though not necesseraly good. Since chill affects movement and skill recharge, it could slow down enemies immune to stun from having stability at the cost of lower power stats. Assisted by Sigil of Chilling it could make Well of Recall a strong skill, extending the chill it provides while giving alacricity to you and your teammates. Of course, none of this has been tested yet, so I could be wrong."

in Mesmer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

Can I please have more of your conversations with the different trait lines? Maybe something with Illusion sitting in the cornor crying?

I’m digging the build tho, and since I have played the beta all weekend with out Dueling, I feels it’s safe for me to say: DE really isn’t needed to have a high clone generating, in special not, when you are running staff + Chaos and a few wells!

It’s probaly these 3 traitlines I would go with for a Chronomancer lockdown build!
Also:“Chaos/Inspiration For an awesome support build”, it also makes for awesome tanky/sustain shatter bruiser build

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

Nice read as always.

I just love Dom/Chaos/Chrono with Sw/Sw or Sh and Staff.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Stormbolt.7293

Stormbolt.7293

I ran Domination/Illusions/Chronomancer during the last beta weekend. While it’s definitely phantasm-centric, I wouldn’t call it a pure phantasm build. Here’s what I used: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAseRnknBlph9fC2oBEgilTjiMAWggqOav2tFd7ejvD-TliDwAGOEAAM50VJoTlDuU/h2+Df0H4TJXinAQkTAQAgDAGe4IcpAYVqF-w

With Flow of Time, you want to shatter as quickly and often as possible. To shatter as quickly and often as possible, you need good clone generation and upkeep, which gives you the choice of either Deceptive Evasion or Chronophantasma. Dueling doesn’t offer much to a power lockdown build, so I went with the latter. Domination is a given for Confounding Suggestions and Power Block, so that leaves one trait line open. I could take Chaos for Chaotic Interruption, but that’s the only thing it offers. Inspiration doesn’t offer much of anything at all on the offense front. Illusions reduces the CD on my shield 4 by an absurd amount with Chronophantasma phantasm shatters in addition to a baseline 20% reduction, more slow and alacrity from iAvenger, more crits on Mind Wrack, cripple on Cry of Frustration, AoE interrupts on Diversion, and reflect on Distortion. You can get nearly 100% alacrity uptime with this build. Throw in some chill to mess with your opponents even more, and you’re pretty scary.

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

@Armadeus I agree, once I made the switch to Dom I didn’t miss Dueling at all… Which is odd because I love Blinding Dissipation! Were you able to do any well combos? Gravity Well + Calamity did tons of damage. Healing Well -F5-Healing Well saved my life a few times, and Calamity + Recall was Chill/Cripple hell for my enemies!

@Xaylin I tried sword sword.. but my arm felt so odd without a shield on it. =[ I really needa find a new build to make me run Sw/Sw again! What were you running?

@Stormbolt Interesting.. Very interesting. I saw Embolism talking about how Illusions shrinks Shield’s cooldown, but seeing your build makes me really eager to try it. Chaos was a must for me, if not for Chaotic Interruption (5x might + random boon on interrupt is glorious with staff) but also for Chaotic Dampening shrivelling my staff skills the way I imagine Illusions shrivelled yours.

I’d like to hear more about your WvW experiences. Highs and lows, favorite moments and things to work on? Also.. How did you deal with conditions?

in Mesmer

Amadeus.5687

The well combo I ended up using the most, were Gravity Well Into Calamity for massive dmg! It were really easy to land these two together when the enemies had used thier stunbreak!
But the WvW build I ran most of the time, only used Calamity, where I comboed it like: Cast Sword 3 —> Calamity --> Swap with clone, into Immob —> Shield 5 and boom!
Shield 5 —> Calamity —> Sword 3 —> Swap —> Boom! Also worked great, which I manged to do qutie well here:
https://youtu.be/c7934FfIJ4I?t=2m32s

But Calamity is super awesome with it’s 20 secs CD, all the Chaos armor it gives and you can do some serious area denial with it! When I toyed with the healing well I would toss the two together and people would ate an amazing burst, while I healed!

(edited by Amadeus.5687)

in Mesmer

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

Title says Dom/Duel/Chrono, post ends up at Dom/Chaos/Chrono. I call shenanigans!

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

in Mesmer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

Poor inspiration, always trying to help, to be supportive, and yet there is always something a bit underwhelming about it… While I love the line, I do think it lacks “punch” (supportive punch that is)…

Anyway, I wish to read more stories about “me” and the 6 different mesmer lines in the future.

in Mesmer

Amadeus.5687

While I love the line, I do think it lacks “punch” (supportive punch that is)…

Anyway, I wish to read more stories about “me” and the 6 different mesmer lines in the future.

I agree, it really does feel like it’s a far mor selfish support it gives! The line is amazing for the mesmer (Can’t play without it now), but the group healing/supporting just leave much to be desired!

And yes please Chaos, more of the “me” and the 6 different mesmer lines!

in Mesmer

tobascodagama.2961

Poor inspiration, always trying to help, to be supportive, and yet there is always something a bit underwhelming about it… While I love the line, I do think it lacks “punch” (supportive punch that is)…

I think the problem is that Inspiration is a bit too unfocused. Yeah, it’s a support line, but what kind of support?

The group healing is pretty blah unless you take Restorative Mantras and spam Mantra of Pain, which is suboptimal in every game mode.

The condition cleanse is good, but Mender’s Purity can be replaced by Well of Eternity.

Encounter design has made Warden’s Feedback counterproductive in a lot of places where projectiles are unreflectable.

Illusionary Inspiration boonshare sounded good on paper but wound up being clunky in practice — and we always needed to combine it with Bountiful Disillusionment to get anything good out of it, with BD doing almost all of the heavy boonshare lifting by itself anyway.

Having two dead minor traits doesn’t really help either. (Inspiring Distortion is great on paper, but Well of Precog now does the same thing with a shorter cooldown and without consuming illusions…)

Oh, and the less said about Persisting Images and Protected Phantasms the better.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mikkel.8427

Mikkel.8427

I was really excited about the inspiration line after the specialization patch, but after playing around with it for the last few months I find it just cant compete with all the wonderful goodies we get from our other spec lines. Especially after the mantra recharge “bug” was fixed.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tealots.6095

Tealots.6095

I was more into Dom/Chaos/Chrono. Regardless, it was great to finally test the traits/abilities this weekend. Gravity Well is an amazing ability when combined with interrupt traits.

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Where are people seeing Dom/Dueling/Chrono from? …That was obviously an illusion.

Illusions: What? What!? Do I finally get to be included!? Put me in, coach!

Shush, you..

(Though Dueling does work in this build for a more shatter-based alternative wheras Domination favors timing interrupts)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

I was more into Dom/Chaos/Chrono. Regardless, it was great to finally test the traits/abilities this weekend. Gravity Well is an amazing ability when combined with interrupt traits.

Oh ya, Gravity Well in a lockdown build is bliss. You can make sure they get caught in it. I had plenty of amazing setups. Did you see this one?

https://youtu.be/QRROnU40Spk?t=282

The Dragonhunter was targeted by the team, but then I saw he was going for that stomp. You could just hear how he thought he’d escaped safely and was going to go get a free stomp to boot. Enter the Buton :D

Got him again here when he thought he had me :D
https://youtu.be/QRROnU40Spk?t=556

(edited by Ross Biddle.2367)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Korusef.3714

Korusef.3714

From the video it looks like Tek was running Duel/Chaos/Chrono with Bountiful Disillusionment.
So the Dueling was in the match after all

in Mesmer

Posted by: Stormbolt.7293

Stormbolt.7293

@Stormbolt Interesting.. Very interesting. I saw Embolism talking about how Illusions shrinks Shield’s cooldown, but seeing your build makes me really eager to try it. Chaos was a must for me, if not for Chaotic Interruption (5x might + random boon on interrupt is glorious with staff) but also for Chaotic Dampening shrivelling my staff skills the way I imagine Illusions shrivelled yours.

I’d like to hear more about your WvW experiences. Highs and lows, favorite moments and things to work on? Also.. How did you deal with conditions?

Chaotic Dampening just doesn’t measure up to what the constant alacrity from shatters that Illusions enables, plus the raw damage and cc that the traits give. Chaotic Interruption is still a very nice trait, but it suffers from a painfully high opportunity cost now. I can’t justify taking it over the entire Illusions tree anymore. Condis are a problem with the build I linked, but you can easily replace blink with Null Field or Arcane Thievery since shield makes blink/decoy a bit less mandatory.

in Mesmer

Amadeus.5687

Chaotic Dampening just doesn’t measure up to what the constant alacrity from shatters that Illusions enables, plus the raw damage and cc that the traits give. Chaotic Interruption is still a very nice trait, but it suffers from a painfully high opportunity cost now. I can’t justify taking it over the entire Illusions tree anymore. Condis are a problem with the build I linked, but you can easily replace blink with Null Field or Arcane Thievery since shield makes blink/decoy a bit less mandatory.

While you are right about the Chaotic Dampening CD reduction compared to to the illusion line, don’t forget that It can give a allmost 75/80% protection uptime if your just running with one well, and even more if you have several wells! that is not to be sniffed at!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Celeras.4980

Celeras.4980

I don’t understand what you think you are showcasing in that ranked video. You got a single kill in the match at about 10 minutes in 1v1 versus a Ranger, barely. The rest of the time your team had the numbers in virtually every encounter. Your damage and utility didn’t seem very impressive, and your sustain certainly wasn’t either as you dipped fairly quickly any time the numbers weren’t skewed in your favor. I didn’t notice a single instance in which Chaotic Interruption “kept someone in a well”. And on top of that you threw your shield into obstructions no less than 5 times, which just makes it looks inconsistent at best.

I didn’t even see anything to show that you even fulfilled a role for the match. What did you think you were showing us?

in Mesmer

Amadeus.5687

I don’t understand what you think you are showcasing in that ranked video. You got a single kill in the match at about 10 minutes in 1v1 versus a Ranger, barely. The rest of the time your team had the numbers in virtually every encounter. Your damage and utility didn’t seem very impressive, and your sustain certainly wasn’t either as you dipped fairly quickly any time the numbers weren’t skewed in your favor. I didn’t notice a single instance in which Chaotic Interruption “kept someone in a well”. And on top of that you threw your shield into obstructions no less than 5 times, which just makes it looks inconsistent at best.

I didn’t even see anything to show that you even fulfilled a role for the match. What did you think you were showing us?

His quite literally just showing “Here’s a video of the build in a ranked match.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tek.4083

Tek.4083

I was running dom/duel/chrono.

Tek Esper [VLK] [AoN]

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

His quite literally just showing “Here’s a video of the build in a ranked match.”

I was, but really, that’s no excuse.

Celeras has a very good point; I didn’t check the quality of the two match videos I posted… I literally just went “Oh look this was a close match” and “oh look skcamow is in this one!” Without actually taking a critical eye to the quality of the gameplay.

I wish I had seen this last night when I coulda edited the thread with better videos, but to address what you said Celeras, you’re absolutely right.. That first video is especially poor quality, both in demonstrating the build and the gameplay in general. My hope was to show an interesting match, because a lot of the other matches were do often heavily skewed to one side (500-200 ish) but better showed the build in action.

So tonight I intend to remedy that, and address each criticism bit-by-bit. I appreciate the honesty.

(Also, as you can see.. The Tides of Time “fix” didn’t quite work as the wave still dies on walls… It’s supposed to bounce off.)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tealots.6095

Tealots.6095

Oh ya, Gravity Well in a lockdown build is bliss. You can make sure they get caught in it. I had plenty of amazing setups. Did you see this one?

https://youtu.be/QRROnU40Spk?t=282

The Dragonhunter was targeted by the team, but then I saw he was going for that stomp. You could just hear how he thought he’d escaped safely and was going to go get a free stomp to boot. Enter the Buton

Got him again here when he thought he had me
https://youtu.be/QRROnU40Spk?t=556

It’s really difficult to imagine playing Clockdown without it. It’s a multi-interrupt skill that does damage (on top of Power Block damage). Combined with Well of Calamity, that’s a lot of burst…

Speaking of locking people down, did anyone manage to use Runes of the Mesmer over the weekend? I wonder if they will become a popular choice over Traveler Runes thanks to Time Marches On. Specifically for a Staff/Sword-Shield build.

in Mesmer

tobascodagama.2961

I feel like Runes of the Mesmer don’t offer that much to this build. But the stats on RoM are obviously useful, so they’re not a bad choice by any means.

I think Chaos’ use of Hoelbrak runes is more in the right spirit, as far as extending the Might you get from Chaotic Interruption. As usual with Hoelbrak, you can freely use Strength instead for more pure damage in exchange for being slightly weaker against conditions.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

@Xaylin I tried sword sword.. but my arm felt so odd without a shield on it. =[ I really needa find a new build to make me run Sw/Sw again! What were you running?

I guess what many people ran including you.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAseWncfClphtfC+fCEgilTjycHGibgMAWggq+Zz2tF-TpQSABtWGAg9HAA

I switch between Sw/Sw or Sw/Sh and Hoelbrak or Pack.

I still like the OH Sword. Because I love Chaos Armor and getting the extra Leap Finisher to combo with ethereal fields is great. But since they changed the block on Shield I’m having a really hard time not picking Shield instead.

I also miss using Mirror. But I guess I need at least some condition removal.