Good ways to deal aoe damage?

in Mesmer

Posted by: cloudysan.4397

cloudysan.4397

Hi!

I’m kind of new to mesmer(played one before but scraped her as I totally dislike the human race which I didn’t back then…around level 20ish).
I am currently level 11 and I noticed whenever I’m at a event that has waves of enemies or packs of enemies I usually only deal good damage to one of them. My only real, good aoe is the beserker on GS which is hard to control.
What do you mesmer pros do to deal good aoe damage in PvE? Coming from the engineer I feel kind of lost without a good aoe.

Hope you can help me.

in Mesmer

Posted by: DuckDuckBOOM.4097

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

Sword/focus with the GS and shatters are the closest you will get to engineer aoe but it still won’t be like grenades.

Sword for the general melee cleave. Focus and GS phantasms are our 2 aoe phants. Focus 4 can help ball enemies up for easier aoe/melee. The GS auto attack hits up to 3 targets. GS 2 and 3 can be awesome or terrible when it comes to hitting several targets. I would not try to use gs 5 as an aoe nuke as it usually does more harm than good. Staff #5 is really good but I think it has too long of a CD while the rest of the weapon is mostly single target.

F1 and F2 can hit up to 5 targets but they are centered around your enemy (or you with IP). F2 is not as great when it comes to tagging mobs but it does do some power damage and if you time it well, the added confusion is often enough to tag a mob.

Edit: What is it about staff and 5 that becomes kittens.

in Mesmer

Posted by: cloudysan.4397

cloudysan.4397

Thank you very much!
I’ve also been trying to use the stuff unsuccessfully. But the sword really helped me…but wait since when does the GS autoattack hit 3 people? O_o
I’ve never seen that happen…and I totally forgot about shatter as an aoe methode…as I’ve mentioned I’m kinda new to mesmer so thanks again for that one.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Samiell.1259

Samiell.1259

The GS AA pulses 3 times. So if you’re moving and mobs are moving you COULD hit up to 3 mobs. Not reliable in anyway. Stick with GS phantasm and focus phantasm for all aoe. If your quick try Ileap into the mess and blur.

Black Ops supply line disruptions.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

The staff will do you more good as a defensive weapon for now. As the other said, Sword/Focus – Greatsword will be your best bet for AoE damage. (Here come the bullets… always with the bullets for me for some reason)

• Use Temporal Curtain(Focus 4) to pull enemies together, then catch them immedietly with iLeap (Sword 3) – Swap(Sword 3 afterwards) to immobilize them all. From there, Blurred Frenzy(Sword 2) will hit them all, so will almost all your Greatsword attacks.
  • Your Mind Wrack and Cry of Frustration (F1 and F2 shatters) do good AoE damage. Again, your best bet is to Focus Pull>> Sword 3 >> and Mind Wrack if you have at least 2 clones out. THEN summon Phantasms afterwards
  • If enemies are moving too fast for iBerzerker to catch more than one, use Temporal Curtain (without the pull) for an AoE cripple. Should make it far easier for Zerker
  • Another focus trick(I’m on a roll with this bad boy) is to summon the curtain, and then summon the phantasm. About halfway through the phantasm cast, use the curtain’s pull. The enemies will be pulled right into the high damage AoE iWarden. If you’re fast you can use your sword to immobilize them all so they stay stuck next to the Warden for longer.
  • Confuse Ray (Scepter 3.. thats not what it’s really called, I think Confusing Images, but I used to be a Pokemon fanboy) and Greatsword auto both pierce targets, so if they’re lined up or clustered close (cough-Focus-cough) you can nail nearby enemies. Takes some practice but works especially well with Scepter.. haven’t tried it much with GS.
  • Chaos Storm (Staff 5) is our largest, most obnoxious AoE. Its a great defensive ability that should more often be dropped on yourself when enemies attack at melee range. From there, pump out some clones (which will likely snag you an extra Chaos Armor in the process if you use Staff 2 or Sword 3 while inside the storm) and shatter while the storm is up.

in Mesmer

Posted by: teogeos.1364

teogeos.1364

@Samiell No, he was talking about the fact that GS autoatack can hit up to two enemies in a straight line between you and your target.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

With GS/Staff if you want some AoE, just do:

Staff: 5, 3 (doesnt really matter what target), 2
swap
Greatsword: 2, shatter, 4, 3
With a sword/focus you’d just pop 3, shatter, 5, 2

This should be enough to wreck most groups. At level 11 it probably wont kill them but you get the idea (crit damage suck at anything below 80 and Mesmer isnt anywhere close to good until 40+).

A very cheap way to get AoE is to put sigil of flame (major) on one of your weapons.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tek.4083

Tek.4083

If you are specced into high crit, I really love halting strike on chaos storm, or even illusionary wave. you can use other methods as well to get the aoe damage, but having the threat of interrupting, plus shatter, aoe damage, zerker, wave. This could maybe add more oh what you were looking for in damage. With focus staff and greatsword you could really get HS damage out. but ofc you must interrupt, not for everyone.

Tek Esper [VLK] [AoN]