[Guide] What everything actually does. All your mechanics questions answered.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rhyno.7084

Rhyno.7084

Remind me of anything I missed, I will keep adding stuff as I go

Tooltips:
They are horrible. Take every tooltip with a grain of salt. Cooldowns do not update correctly. Damage does not update correctly. Durations do not update correctly. There are typos, poor vocabulary, etc. etc.

Illusions vs. Phantasms vs. Clones:
Both count as illusions.
Phantasms are beefier, high damage illusions.
Clones are throw away illusions that essentially do no damage. Their conditions still do full damage however.

Death vs. Shatter:
Death refers to when an illusion is killed or replaced by a new one.
Death is not a form of shattering and shattering does not count as death.

Condition Duration:
Your condition duration attributes do not apply in any way to your illusions and phantasms, nor does it apply to sigils.

Sigils and Runes:
Sigils only appear to apply to summoned phantasms when placed on the weapon that summoned them.
+5% damage will apply to the iDuelist if placed on the pistol.
Bear in mind that sigils share a GLOBAL cooldown, if ANY of your sigils are on cooldown, then every sigil with a cooldown will also be on cooldown and will not activate.

Many sigils and runes that give you effects do not carry over at all to your clones and phantasms. These include bleed duration, effects on crit, extra bounces on bounce attacks, and more.

Instants:
Instants can be cast no matter what you are doing, and some will not interrupt what you are doing. These include
All of your shatters, Staff 2, Decoy, Mantras.
The shatters are important to note because you can trigger them during a roll, or while you are reviving or channeling a skill, notably F4 to turn yourself invulnerable and immune to disruption.

Note that because of this, you can trigger (instant) a mantra while you are chanelling not instant) a different mantra.

Pistol Skill Bonus Range:
See the reference, bonus range is on the right:
http://i.imgur.com/GtxIX.jpg

Debilitating Dissipation:
In an AoE this will grant one of the following on clone death only:
3xWeakness (5s)
3xBleeding (5s)
Weakness (3s)

Crippling Dissipation:
3xCripple, stacks in duration

Phantasmal Haste:
This only changes the rate at which your phantasms attack, not the cooldowns for their summoning.

Boons and Conditions vs. Effects
Effects refers to all buffs and debuffs of which Boons and Conditions are a subset. Check the wiki for the complete list but any orange or red icon shaped like a school crossing sign is a boon or condition respectively. In general, skills can only effect boons and conditions, and other than that effects are untouchable.

Examples of effects we can provide that aren’t conditions: Swiftness, Chaos Armor and Daze

Deceptive Evasion
You must be actively in combat mode to trigger this ability, but you do not have to actually mitigate any damage or avoid a skill, just rolling will work. It seems this ability is slightly buggy so if you are starting out a fight try to use a targeted skill first to ensure you are in combat mode.

more to come
Throw any and all mechanics questions at me

(edited by Rhyno.7084)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Syn.3459

Syn.3459

it’s bare not bear

in Mesmer

Rhyno.7084

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ritz.3619

Ritz.3619

Debilitating Dissipation:
In an AoE this will grant one of the following on clone death only:
3xWeakness (5s)
3xBleeding (5s)
Weakness (3s)

This is what I came to this thread hoping to find, thank you sir.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gingelyr.3648

Gingelyr.3648

Things currently not spelled out:

Chaotic interruption and Bountiful interruption.

Phantasmal healing (what’s the uptime?)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Garadon.3189

Garadon.3189

Great thread, thank you very much.

Garadon Dral <<Engineer>>
Talarion Dral <<Mesmer>>

in Mesmer

Posted by: Benny.6172

Benny.6172

it’s bare not bear

He’s actually right. It’s “Bear”; i.e. “Bearing in mind.”

Whomever told you otherwise is most certainly incorrect.

in Mesmer

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

Damage and damage scaling (or relative damage) on the damage-on-interruption trait.

Also you may want to clarify that it is the Mantra secondary abilities that are instant, not the charge. Makes sense to everyone that’s used Mantras but …

May want to clarify that the cooldown not updating when you have the weapon trait and illusion traits at the sametime is a known bug, and both traits are working as intended. It’s a common misunderstanding.

May want to have a short section on duration versus intensity stacking of conditions, and that effects like Daze to not stack.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aryc.3875

Aryc.3875

Block from Scepter 2 and Sword 4 block both melee and ranged attacks and allow movement (no need to stand in place).

Likewise, with both, you can hit 2 or 4 during the block (if it’s not consumed) to fire a blind or daze in a straight line (which then consumes the block). These do not deal damage, but is better than wasting a block. Note that there is a short cooldown after initiating the block before you can fire the chain-2 skill.

Deceptive Evasion generates a clone on dodge. Does not require you to evade an attack to generate the clone.

Instants may be used even when knocked down if not on cooldown (e.g. Phase Retreat).

in Mesmer

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

Deceptive Evasion requires a valid in-range target for the clone to spawn (range seems to be something like 900 or 1200) and only functions in-combat IIRC.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aryc.3875

Aryc.3875

Good point. Deceptive Evasion appears to be 1200 since I recall creating illusions while firing from max range /w Staff, but I have not tested this.

in Mesmer

Rhyno.7084

Added some and edited some

in Mesmer

Posted by: Suzut.4905

Suzut.4905

Are conditions applied upon Clone death affected by Condition Duration?

Are conditions applied by illusions affected by the secondary stat bonuses of traits? For example, Critical Damage from Dueling and Condition Duration from Domination.

What is the priority for illusion replacement? It seems that a new illusion will always try to replace the oldest Clone or , if there are no Clones, the oldest Phantasm.

(edited by Suzut.4905)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Suzut.4905

Suzut.4905

Oh, and if sigils apply to the Phantasms summoned by that weapon, do they inherit on-crit effects? Or is this only static bonuses only, like +Crit Chance or +Damage?

in Mesmer

Rhyno.7084

Condition Damage does alter condition damage from clone death.

Condition Duration from domination does not affect conditions applied by illusions (except clone death) but Critical Damage does. I should go re-test that second bit though.

A new illusion when you already have 3 will replace the oldest clone, if there are 3 phantasms, the oldest phantasm.

Phantasms cannot inherit on hit effects at all. I don’t even think they inherit +Crit Chance but It’d need to sit there watching hundreds of auto attacks to know for sure.

in Mesmer

Posted by: JohnCataldo.9201

JohnCataldo.9201

“Death vs. Shatter:
Death refers to when an illusion is killed or replaced by a new one.
Death is not a form of shattering and shattering does not count as death.”

Note that the target dying also counts, which automatically makes your illusions “die” (and possibly 3 at the exact same time).

Do any illusions benefit from any of your stats? Do they do more damage with more Power? More critical chance with you having higher Precision? etc.

in Mesmer

Posted by: vutak.3186

vutak.3186

[edit: bah, might as well write about it all at once]

One more note about Debilitating Dissipation, just to be explicit: It applies its debuff in an AoE, exactly the way you’d expect given that the clones explode. I’m not sure of the exact range, but a wild guess would be 240, since you can catch both target golems if your clone is between the two. The debuff applied is always the same for a given clone “death”, so if someone got bleeding, everyone got bleeding.

Crippling Dissipation is a 3-sec cripple, not “3x cripple” but I guess that’s still technically correct since cripple does indeed stack duration. The wiki says 5s, but I’m thinking that was adjusted by the tester’s +condition duration.

Confusing Combatants is a 3-sec, 1x confusion.

Dazzling applies a 3-sec, 5x vulnerability per individual daze effect, including each illusion shattered for Diversion (and Illusionary Persona, if you have it)

I’ve added most of this to the wiki as well.

(edited by Moderator)

in Mesmer

Rhyno.7084

I’m trying to correct the Dissipations but it seems I’ve lost the ability to edit the post. I know what I was trying to write there but I have no idea how it came out that way.

Crippling Dissipation should say 3s, though I guess 3x(1s) is the same thing.

And the block above it should say: 3xVulnerability, not 3xWeakness.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mouhappai.5406

Mouhappai.5406

Question, does Illusionary Persona (Shattering illusions apply the shatter effect on you as well) require myself to be standing next to the enemy for it to work? I know Distortion (F4) doesn’t, but what about Mind Wrack, Cry of Frustration and Diversion?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

My build is somewhat focussed on [Sharper Images] (Illusions inflict bleeding on critical hits.). Condition damage sure works in increasing the ticks ([Sigil of Domnation] increases 48 ticks to 51 ticks).
But neither Condition duration nor Bleed duration work on this effect ?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aimeryan.1247

Aimeryan.1247

What skills can drop the enemies’ targeting? Does any clone creation? All kinds of clone creation?

I assume because of the stealth component Decoy, Mass Invisibility, and Veil drops target, does anything else at all? What if they have target lock via the hotkey (or automatically in the preferences)? Does Call Target drop at the same time?

in Mesmer

Aimeryan.1247

Bump for hopeful reply!

in Mesmer

Rhyno.7084

Mouhappai: The shatters treat you as a clone, meaning the effect occurs instantly in a PBAoE around you.

Nretep: Condition Duration and Bleed Duration do not affect the bleed duration of Sharper Images so far as my testing shows.

Aimeryan: In PvP or PvE? AFAIK the only way to drop targeting in PvP is true stealth, but in my experience the trait that creates a clone on dodge seems to draw aggro a majority of the time. I admit I do not know much about the aggro system in GW2.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

The Prestige: If you let the stealth run it’s full time, it goes on 30 second CD, if you cancel it by using your basic attack, it goes on a 4 second CD. This essentially gives you an AoE Blind every four seconds, traited it gives you an AoE blind+confusion every four seconds.

in Mesmer

Aimeryan.1247

In both really. In PvE its obviously all about aggro whether or not the mob momentarily has to re-target you.

In PvP the question is far more important because without target dropping you can not use any form of deception. If we can make the enemy drop their target but it is on a long cooldown it similarly makes deception almost pointless.

Hopefully someone knows for sure which skills do. Tempted to ask a friend to try and experiment.