[Guide] WvWvW/Pve Shatter Cat 2014-04-23

in Mesmer

Posted by: Osicat.4139

Osicat.4139

@Dundir:Ok a german player /w me and told me how he watch my videos, he use a free proxy server and simple pastle in the search adress in the field.

The proxy server he used is free and easy, like a search engine:
http://www.hidemyass.com/proxy/

Adress to my film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV5o5PfbNxg&feature=plcp

Pastle the youtube adress in the field and hit “hide my kitten" and you get to youtube without canadian ip. It should work mate.

GL

/Osicat

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

Just got it confirmed the workaround for 2nd part of the guide work for canadian players without any problems etc.

mini uppdate

Sorting the videoarcive today, will get some old things out.

/Osicat

PS @all,Second part of the mesmer Shatter spec Shatter Cat video Guide is up.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Drizzzle.5847

Drizzzle.5847

osicat for president of teh mesmer nation…just sayin

;-)

in Mesmer

Posted by: zastari.1730

zastari.1730

Has anyone found a good way to get the sword 3 clone to go where they want when there’s any sort of terrain difference? I noticed spots in the last fight where you were popping it but it wouldn’t chase the player down all the way for immobilize. I’m having the same problem, and I’m still trying to hammer down what terrain differences cause it to fail.

I’m also noticing similar behavior with staff 2 that I’m still trying to figure out — Sometimes it puts me straight above the wall behind me, sometimes I back up to it or go nowhere. Being able to control those better would make LoSing a lot easier.

Also, are you always running portal now or do you ever swap it out for decoy? I’m having trouble dropping decoy just because of how easy it is to reset the battle with blink + decoy to drop targetting. It looks like I may have to can it and use terrain advantages to get around it instead though because portal is that useful.

Tsarazi – 80 Asuran Mesmer [DERP]
Maguuma

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swedemon.4670

Swedemon.4670

Also, are you always running portal now or do you ever swap it out for decoy? I’m having trouble dropping decoy just because of how easy it is to reset the battle with blink + decoy to drop targetting. It looks like I may have to can it and use terrain advantages to get around it instead though because portal is that useful.

I’m sorta in the same place. Decoy is great in several situations but I’m thinking once portal is mastered it is probably the best choice. It’s all about anticipating the battle ahead. Initially for me, Decoy is much easier to roll with since I’ve been using it for months and like you said it clears target nicely. Currently, I’m forcing myself to stick with portal and failing with it a lot but eventually will get it right..

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Zastari, The clone 3 faiol if the enmy you fight is on terrain higher up than you, lower generaly works. Silly but I even started to change my tactics cause of this as it apply to many skills. Generaly its better to be above somone.

@Swedeamon & Zastari, decoy is as i mentioned before a solid skill and have its uses, I just find portal to have more uses including lifesaving zerg trolling. And it also give room for cd recharge etc.

Decoys biggest benefit have been target reset as most solid players now mark a mesmer, I turned this around and ALWAYS expect to be marked and play like im marked. This way it dont matter and you instead focus on avoid the expected dmg. If the player you face is bad and accualy go for clones just simply ty for the badge.

You cant do this with a decoy eather.

/Osicat

PS @all,Second part of the mesmer Shatter spec Shatter Cat video Guide is up

(edited by Osicat.4139)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kyrul.7681

Kyrul.7681

Just watched some of your videos, you are very skilled The first time I’ve seen a really compelling reason to try Pistol OH.

Out of curiosity though, how much do you change your setup/playstyle when you are in PvE, say doing Fractals?

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Kyrul, I dont change traits for instances, I do thu change skill set for every boss or pack. Feedback for some bosses is superb, for others nullfield is a must. I tend to use immunity often in pve and I use vitality food instead of percision if i use food at all. For some places I use a GS instead of pistol /s, reason is staff is a bit buggy with some things. Example is the small poison flowers in nightmare instance who you cant mele, a staff miss but a gs 1 hit.

So far fractals is mabye the best shatter mesmer friendly instance, i just love it. See winterfells last video, its a fractal lvl 15 mesmer video.

/Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: ShadowDemon.1937

ShadowDemon.1937

@Osicat, I know you mostly do WvW and that is what this build is meant for, but I was wondering if you had a sPvP build? I tried running the shatter build in sPvP, but I noticed I don’t have as much power, hit points and precision. I am having a hard time performing as well as I do in WvW and I was wondering if the build changed to fit sPvP better?

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Shadow Deamon. I do some changes for sPvP, if I go dmg I run shatter cat normal build but use sigil of bloodlust and runes of divinity. It help some with the dmg but also some defensive stats. Also I always use MOA for sPvP

I link a older movie from when i first learned to edit movies, its not my best but it show how I still today try handle them. 1st fight is vs warrior and guardian, 2nd is a guardian who wanted a 1 vs 1 vs me.

For cap holding and more defensive in s/tPvP I use 0-20-20-0-30 and play like usual but are extemly hard to take down. If I play this spec I also use decoy.

Hope this help mate, there is other mesmers who live in the sPvP (Nero/winterfell) who might help you better but this is how I like to do it

/Blessings Osicat.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dasboba.1652

Dasboba.1652

Thanks for this thread Osicat. I’m still in my early stages on my mesmer (30ish). This guide and the videos have been a blessing when learning this class after playing a thief for the past 3 months. Keep up the good work.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gravedancer.3201

Gravedancer.3201

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and answer questions!!

I just read through the discussion and am looking forward to trying this out. I’ll watch the videos later (want to get in and play now). After the last patch I was a bit bummed with the mesmer and started playing a guardian. You renew my enthusiasm for the mesmer and will dust it off and jump back into the fray.

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Dasboba Cheers mate, If you have any questions when you lvl up dont be afraid to ask them I answer if I can and send you to somone who is better at the area if im unsure (starategy in tPvP is not my area for example, startegy in wvwvw thu im better at).

@Gravedancer Cheers Grave, my recmendation atm for the videos is se the 1st and 2nd guide part then burst vid.It make alot of the tactics clear and you better understadn al the stuff I do in other vids.

/Happy weekend ! Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: CactuS.4075

CactuS.4075

A little off-topic question: Anybody else noticed the shatter (MW) damage is reduced since the last patch? (what didn’t mention any dmg recudction/nerf)

Or i’m missed something since i last did sPvP tournaments? (Or not remember correctly about the numbers)

Member of Noise of Mist | Piken Square

(edited by CactuS.4075)

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@CactuS, I have not found any info in patch that MW should be nerfed, neather have I noticed any special dmg dropp, had accualy one of my highest burst in game last night so far. I will have a look for you thu in my older vids pre patch and compare to the matereal I have from today mate. If I find something I promice to come back about it.

What I seen today is atleast that I regulary crit for 2,4-3,2 on lvl 80,s in wvwvw with 3 clone mindwracks, if fury is up and you lucky a full crit x 4 would give ~3 × 4 = 12k + (blade , cry of frustration, rune of air, sigil of fire and iduelist barrage).

/Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: CactuS.4075

CactuS.4075

Thanks for the answer. In fact i was suprised in sPvP today, didn’t had the time to try in WvW yet. It was around ~ 1,3k maybe. Maybe i was wrong and it was that low in the last time. (I’m not really an sPvP fun, siege is better :p)

Member of Noise of Mist | Piken Square

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sylversun.1390

Sylversun.1390

Very, very nice!

I play that kind of build in sPvP and for some reason, it never occured to me that it could work in WvW (I usually go GS+Sword/Focus and work on reflecting projectiles and front-line zerg support). So I tried it this morning and guess what… over 50 kills in a few hours xD On a small group vs group fight at a supply camp, I ended up with 7 kills AND still alive.

And to come back on the numbers you just threw, I can confirm that I regulary did about 15 to 19k damage in a few seconds. This includes the 12 stacks of confusion the enemy ends up with. (iDuelist, Sword #2, Mind Wrack, Cry of Frustration, Confusion). I just don’t have Runes of Air as of now, because that’s a big gold investment and I already had to buy an exotic pistol x_x

I’m not used to be this squishy in WvW, but Mesmers are awesome at surviving anyway.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sheol Owl.1096

Sheol Owl.1096

Thank you Osicat ! After becoming completely bored with playing a Guardian, and irked at the inability to build a decent working necro, I was about to give up on GW2 until I read your guide and watched your videos. I never tried the mesmer seriously in GW1, as it was really a fairly useless class imho, but you have made it very easy to fall in love with them in GW2 and I am having a blast playing mine. Thank you so much for your informative posts, videos and for being such a nice person to share it with the rest of us.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Akronym.1960

Akronym.1960

Hi Osicat,

I recently switched to your build and it`s awsome!

Could you share your key bindings? I just tried to change them but I think I need some inspiration because I´m not happy with it at the moment. Any suggestions?

THX!

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@CactuS, Np man Tryed some more and still same ressult.

@Sylversum, Happy you like it, about survival yes passive we not made for take a beating even if I again would like to point on the defensive stats recomended. Also hope you not missed part 2 of the Guide, on first page. Its centered around how to manage cd,s and stay alive, keep the pew pew up mate gl

@Sheol Owl, Ty alot, make me so happy read your post, I been working alot last weeks so not been able to put as moutch effort in my gameplay as I would like to (alot of 24 h work shifts) but Im happy with the 2nd guide part and I working on a mesmer vs thief guide for wvwvw

@Akronym, My keybinding is :

WASD with A for strafe left D strafe right, I turn run dierction with mouse.

V turn camera 180 degrees for time portals and blink behind enemy chasers

attack 12345 is
1:q
2:e
3:r
4:mouse4
5:shift+mouse4 (mouse 4 is on side of my mouse)

Utility heal 1 2 3 elite is:
heal:shift + space
u1:shift+q
u2:shift+e
u3:shift+r
elite:shift+f

Shatters is on 1 , 2, 3 and 4

This help me do most movment and camera with mouse, al actions is shortkeys.

Hope this help mate.

@All, cant wait for the comming month, new wvwvw map and I hope for some new things for this part of the game that I love. Also for Thiefs, must say i getting more and more impressed last week. Alot of thiefs moved away from the glascannon backstab builds and last 2 days I had fantastic duels with some thiefs. A 6 minute fight by windmill with a thief who before 1 attack did a /bow, then we fought a epic battle where we both took breading brakes, funny it was a draw as we both had to flee from Invader zerg steamrolling by.

If we could somehow get this back into MMO,s some manners in 1 vs 1, if you run and see a enemy, he see you and noone around and its a fight obious. Do a /bow before attack. You be supriced how happy you be when someone do this to you.

/Love Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: MrInfinit.1864

MrInfinit.1864

I’ve been rolling with this build since the beta weekends, it’s just so much fun that I jumped straight back onto it at launch (I use it for everything, pve, spvp, wvw!). I tried spreading the word about it it back in the BWE’s a bit, but it never seemed to catch on, so it’s really awesome to see others using my build with great success as well!

Anyway, the main reason I stopped by was for a silly question, what does this build have to do with Cats (since you seem to call it Shatter Cat)? =P

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Mrlnfinit, Haha well tbh its not as much the build as the guide I call Shatter Cat. The traits ect anyone could set up and I dont take any credit for that, what I do see as my contribution to the community is simply that I made a guide of it, showed the gameplay and how to make it practicly work in text and video. Also I try as best I can answer any questions ppl have especialy ppl new to the style or class. The guide is mine thu and I named it “Shatter Cat” as to make this style work you need to be agile as a cat, no brute force here

/Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: MrInfinit.1864

MrInfinit.1864

@Oscicat, lol gotcha! It’s awesome that you put the time and effort into a guide like this. As I said before, it’s really cool to see others using a build like this, and this guide is really great to get anyone interested up and running with it!

in Mesmer

Posted by: TonySu.7942

TonySu.7942

Hello =) Cant you tell me what skills you use on 7-10 and why you chose the skill set ? I can’t see it very well on Youtube. Thanks

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

• ****** * UPPDATE * ****** *

Added a utility section in the guide for skill 7-10 with explanation.

/Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: metalhead.9385

metalhead.9385

I am using this build now, Thanks to Osciat I use Decoy, mantra of resolve and blink I dont wvw but it works fantastically in spvp.

having soo much more fun with it. Kicked kitten first time I went into spvp with it and im not even good at it yet

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sylversun.1390

Sylversun.1390

@Osicat Hehe, don’t worry I have about 500ish hours with the Mesmer and I consider that I have a pretty good control over that profession. I rarely die and when I do, it’s usually because I’m either reviving someone or because I’m trying to finish an enemy… right in the middle of it’s zerg xD

What I meant with “squishy” is that I have to keep an extra eye on my hp, compared with my previous build. It was focused on front-line zerg harass, so I’m used to escape very dangerous situations :P

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Sylversun, cheers, its kinda amusing to hear you have exact same experience from when you die, I talking reviving. I think that and stomp is the most dangerous things you can do in this spec and why I as burst go up more and more prefere to burst ppl down instead of stomp them. About reviving in almost to the brink of paranoid when I do this, look in al directions al time and use time warp if its ready

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

I’d like to mention that your failure to merely press F to pick up all the loot bags that drop bugs me enourmously. So many pvp videos have this problem, and then people have the nerve to go and complain that they don’t get enough badges in wvw. JUST PRESS F.

Aside from that, nice playing. You should try out using mass invisibility instead of time warp, because its on a very low cd, and is fantastic for resetting a fight and messing with LoS. Time warp can be great, but more often it gets wasted, and has a massive cooldown. Additionally, try playing with fast cast ground targeting. That will really improve your reaction speed with regards to blink, and slightly with chaos storm.

in Mesmer

zastari.1730

FCGTAoE: No. When you blink you want to blink to max range, not a tiny bit behind it. This also makes it harder to do things like drop rams at the right distance.

I don’t think I’d ever use Mass Invis instead of Time Warp. Pulling off a full stake while my distortion shatter is still up is >>>>>>>> any possible battle resets.

Maguuma

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

FCGTAoE: No. When you blink you want to blink to max range, not a tiny bit behind it. This also makes it harder to do things like drop rams at the right distance.

I don’t think I’d ever use Mass Invis instead of Time Warp. Pulling off a full stake while my distortion shatter is still up is >>>>>>>> any possible battle resets.

The slowdown from not using fcgtaoe for blink outweighs the tiny distance change, and with enough use, you will know the distance very precisely even without the icon.

As far as pulling off a stomp, instead of trying to use distortion for the full stomp, just use it for the particularly moment you need. On a necro, you can use shatter 3 instead of distortion. On a warrior, you can use some sort of projectile blocker and not need to distortion, or just watch for the hammer throw and shatter for it. Same with guardians, rangers, and engies, just watch them, and shatter when necessary. While quickness stomps are obviously great, when you drop time warp, people tend to scatter, and so it is often very difficult to get the stomps in the aoe.

The counter to that is, of course, to use time warp as a stomp aid, and only drop it in order to stomp, but I feel that the utility of mass invisibility simply outweighs that, especially in a more drawn out fight.

Edit: Turn off fcgtaoe when dropping seige…except rams, if you drop a ram at the wrong distance you should be shot. Also turn it off for arrow carts/cannons.

in Mesmer

zastari.1730

I think you misunderstood what I mean about using distortion. If you down someone in a 1v3 or more you are going to get extremely high damage while you try to stake them. If you drop time warp and distortion at the same time you can stake someone while fully invulnerable then blink the hell out of there. Using distortion at the right time during a stake is obvious, but that assumes that you aren’t going to be taking high damage the rest of the time. In a berserker build like the one in this guide, that’s not going to be the case.

Maguuma

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

I think you misunderstood what I mean about using distortion. If you down someone in a 1v3 or more you are going to get extremely high damage while you try to stake them. If you drop time warp and distortion at the same time you can stake someone while fully invulnerable then blink the hell out of there. Using distortion at the right time during a stake is obvious, but that assumes that you aren’t going to be taking high damage the rest of the time. In a berserker build like the one in this guide, that’s not going to be the case.

A reasonable point, and also the reason I take decoy and/or mass invisibility. As long as you don’t make it obvious that you are doing a stealth stomp, that works quite well.

Also note that osicat actually stomped someone maybe twice in that whole video. In group fights, you often won’t have the ability to drop time warp for the stomps, and you have to work them some other way.

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Pyroatheist, Ty alot for your points, its wery important to look at feedback and critism aswell to develop as a player. Il try explain my choices a bit and I guess its al come down to personal taste and gameplay.

Starting with lootbags, fair point but im kinda have X k of free badges atm from al my wvwvw ing and money is not a problem so when i do the vids in intence fights I ignore the bags, risk is always that you click F and get stuck 1 sec in a gather/stomp/res cause the bag was close to something. My plan is to come back and scoop em up after fight

For timewarp over massinvis I can only say that in my opinion time is a better ability for wvwvw unless you run in a team with 3 other mesmer who have time. For solo roaming time give room for portal out warped stomps, it give a dmg boost in 1 vs 1 situation but even more important its fantastic for cap camps. Alot of my roaming this is what I do even if I not film it al time, I go in, immune the 1st wave of aoe etc then warp and kill the camp. Also as soon you in a groupfight in wvwvw timewarp is a group fight winner. Decoy is good sure but not worth drop mirror,portal or blink for.

Fast cast aoe, not for me sorry mate but it dont fit my style, yes its faster but often i cast blink och chaos field on a position that is on side of me/target etc throw where you think enemy will be in a sec while straifing, then change to pistol and stun em in it. Same with blink, I often click enemy, hit staff 2 go in 1 direction then run left, and use a placement of blink on side of a tree that will los enemy etc. Cant play like this with fast, cast. Or cast a chaos field a tiny step in front of you when cased to stand in and sudden stop etc. I dont linke mecanics to controll me, I want full controll.

Stomps if absolute nessesery timewarp dis or basic dis. In most situation a basic burst sort it for you faster thu and cost less. Also often a not stomped enemy offer a superb kill when friend go for res.

/cheers Osicat

(edited by Osicat.4139)

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

Working on a small video of some anti thief tactics, basic backstab thief (glass cannon), unicorns on dodge more surviving thief and thief join a fight that become 2 vs 1. Aslo will have a smal look at stomping in mid fight.

Hope this will be of interest.

/Osicat

(edited by Osicat.4139)

in Mesmer

Posted by: FLIMP.8172

FLIMP.8172

Hey osi! Keep up the good work!

Just pointing something out, you can do exactly what you said above in regards to fast cast. Fast cast will cast exactly where your mouse is and make that point the centre of your circle. So if you want to cast chaos storm infront of you, just place your mouse infront and hit 5.

The only draw back of fast cast is you dont see the circle but you get use to it!

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Flimp, Haha ty, Then I might know why I find it difficult lol, my explanation is kinda silly tbh but anyone in my guild know the case. i playing on a to large monitor (40 inc) and sitting to close, so I kinda lose track of my mouse from time to time (yes its stupid). This is also why I often miss party invites or wispers, as its in the corner of my screen

/Love Osicat.

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

*********** * UPPDATE * ************* **

My latest Movie is up, Its about thiefs and a second part about in combat stomps. It also take up one of the weak spots in the spec. Its important to know when you chose your battles.

/Love Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: Yukishiro.8792

Yukishiro.8792

I didn’t read the whole thread but have you considered a modification of the spec that uses +condition duration food and the +33% confusion duration talent? It seems like with the doubled confusion damage you get in W3 that could really wreck people badly. That’d be like what, 4 stacks of ~6 sec duration confusion every time you shatter? Pretty brutal.

Of course you’d love a little bit of crit damage from the food and one illusions talent. But it seems like something to think about.

(edited by Yukishiro.8792)

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Yukishiro, More condition dmg would be idd wellcome as I already often see 2k + confusion hits, still its about what I need to give up and how I use/see on condition dmg for this build.

Before I start I want ty you for the feedback, it give room to explain things about the build/style/guilde and also forces me to think why I do things (;

For this style conditions dmg is not a main source or even a base source of dmg, the bleed is ofc a bonus but more the confusion is used as a controll tool. See how the 1st thief in new vid had to stop her attack cause he took confuison stacks, later I started with a cry and when he do hes attack from stair she get totaly shut down by the stacks and die by crit dmg. Its a away for me to controll what enemy can and cant do, force em in a direction or prevent a counter attack.

Also its about what I need to give up, 50% hp= reset shatters is obious a core trait and cant be dropped, and 9% dmg with 3 clones is a MAJOR dmg boost, with 5% dmg on sword and 20% extra mw dmg you reach amazing nukes, 34% extra dmg on sword attack with 102% crit dmg and mw destroy things.

Another thing easy be missed about this spec is the value of crit in a defensive way. Wait now he gone crasy you say but hear me out (:

In dueling you get vigour on crits, with a 50% crit chance and fury you have a close to fulltime battle energy regain and this save your kitten al time. It also produce clones ofc.

As you say, its worth think about thu, there is many ways to spend traits and thats is so lovely with mesmer profession, so many valid ways to play.

/Good evening Osicat

(edited by Osicat.4139)

in Mesmer

Yukishiro.8792

Yeah, I was just thinking that using confusion as a control tool is a lot more effective the longer it lasts.

The most obvious trait to give up would be the 3% damage bonus per illusion. Is that worth giving up for 33% more confusion duration? Seems questionable.

The food seems like a better trade off potentially. 40% extra duration on all conditions is a pretty big boost in terms of added control, not just for confusion but also for cripple, immo, chaos storm and armor conditions, etc. Seems like that is at least arguably as good or better than 5%ish crit and 10% crit damage. It does shift the build a bit from dps towards control obviously, so depending on the situation it might be more or less valuable. Probably worth carrying a stack of +condition duration food too for situations where it might be the superior option.

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Yukishiro, Its valid ideas, Its worth a try. Personaly I a bit against hybrid condition dmg builds unless you gear a more tanky. This as condition mecanic in itself encurage a longer fight and constant preassure and to do this effectivly your passive survival will be tested.

A more burst juke in deliver a bomb and juke out setup have easier to rely on avoidance, distance, los and immunitys. Just my thoughts that in no way have to be correct.

/Osicat

Ps, new thief video up.

(edited by Osicat.4139)

in Mesmer

Yukishiro.8792

Yeah, it wouldn’t be for the damage per se. I agree going condition damage is silly in a burst build. The value would be in having another 2 seconds of confusion duration every shatter, 40% longer cripples, another second of root, more condition removal protection from longer lasting bleed and vuln stacks from staff, etc.

With about 5.5 seconds of confusion duration from every shatter it seems like you could potentially keep confusion up most of the time, making the opponent have to either eat significant damage or avoid skill use almost entirely.

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Depending on the food you are currently using, swapping to the conditions duration food could definitely be worth it. As far as getting the 33% trait….not worth it.

Due to the fact that this is a power based shatter build, and the confusion is used for control, as it should be, 33% extra duration is not necessary at all. The actual burst only takes 1.5-2 seconds, and at the end of it they will have ~12 stacks of confusion on them. By starting the burst combo with cry, it forces them to either take large confusion damage, or stick around for mind wrack…or if comboed with a disable, forces them to take confusion damage AND stick around for mind wrack. However, this happens very fast, and does not require condition duration to make it effective.

Using cry AFTER wrack provides a similar sort of thing, but in the other way. If the wrack is comboed properly, they will eat the damage no matter what, and a quick mirror images → dodge → cry instantly stacks up the confusion and prevents them from counterattacking. It only lasts 3 seconds base duration, but at the speed of a fight, this is plenty. In 3 seconds, your vulnerable state coming out of the blurred frenzy burst attack is over. You will have blurred frenzy back up in 2 seconds or so, and you can switch to staff and start kiting/dropping chaos storm for aegis. None of this requires longer condition duration.

Now that I think of it…even using the 40% condition duration food is nearly pointless. Nothing about this build requires condition duration to work effectively and a different food would be far more helpful.

in Mesmer

Yukishiro.8792

Well, the point would be to extend your confusion long enough for blurred frenzy to come back up. As you noted without +duration there’s a couple second window there where you’ve got a gap. Plus the smaller ancillary benefits to a bunch of staff skills.

Also there’s the fact that a lot of the people you fight in w3, particularly in group fights, are just going to spam abilities straight through the confusion duration and therefore end up taking a ton of damage. Although these are the sort of people you will easily destroy 1v1, it can be significant in situations where you are outnumbered.

But I agree on reflection it is probably not the best option for really high level play. 10% crit damage and 5% crit is probably better for playing against a good opponent.

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Just watched your new video. Something to keep in mind is that a necro can be stomped by using shatter 3 to interrupt the cast, without wasting distortion if it is safe to do so. Also, when chasing someone into the water, switch immediately to trident and use the 5 skill, this is one of the best disables in the game, and as an unbelievably massive range.

in Mesmer

Yukishiro.8792

Yeah trident 5 is pretty wicked when you get a chance to use it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bubblegum Crisis.6827

Bubblegum Crisis.6827

Awesome guide + update Osicat… that is why I like to follow-up on your guide and not read-&-forget like others.

I have a (probably) newbie question that I will appreciate you or othe exp mesmer can answer:

At 2:34 of your “Judge to hold up” video, you created a portal and the exit automatically pops up at the far end, at the side of the road.
I am very sure you did not blink to the exit spot.
Is it a “trick” or a trait?

I have been trying to learn to use Portal, but its hard for me to put them in utilities as it is useful in so many situations, but not as easy to deploy.

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Awesome guide + update Osicat… that is why I like to follow-up on your guide and not read-&-forget like others.

I have a (probably) newbie question that I will appreciate you or othe exp mesmer can answer:

At 2:34 of your “Judge to hold up” video, you created a portal and the exit automatically pops up at the far end, at the side of the road.
I am very sure you did not blink to the exit spot.
Is it a “trick” or a trait?

I have been trying to learn to use Portal, but its hard for me to put them in utilities as it is useful in so many situations, but not as easy to deploy.

He had dropped the exit portal previously. You can tell by the different icon in the bar.

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Pyyrotheist, Yes Good point on tident, not been a trident lover realy so far but the sink is a winner, what i wanted in that fight thu was to force her up on land towards camp and it worked as I had a portal exit there. The thief thu was not part of my plan and when I came out of portal it was more a “oh kitten” (: .

About shatter 3 and stomps, good point mate, I prob should start use stomps more but I always get the feeling of a rabbit crossing a highway when I do lol. If Its effective I always try use dmg and burst them down. That said I do stomps but with agony.

@Bubblegum Chrisis, Yea like pyro said I dropped the exit before, its easy to miss but if you rewatch you might see it. I often drop a portal and plan a fight before. As I often say I try controll the fight, both by guess how the enemy will behave but also by force them to behave like I want. In my oppinion you get alot stronger if you controll the fight, its also easier to do the right move if you know what enemy will do/ run. Ofc this not always work, its a person not a npc but you be supriced how often you can make the enemy behave like you want.

Its abit like chess where you try think 2-3 moves in the feature.

/ Happy feelings Osicat