[HoT] An Offhand & "Something Just As Good"

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

“Every profession is indeed only getting one new weapon. However, Jon Peters teased that classes getting an offhand would get something “just as good” as the extra three skills and that he couldn’t say more. I suspect that the specialization might unlock three new utility skills, but that’s my speculation." – Nefara
Taken from here

It turns out we’re not only getting an offhand. Apparently we’ll be getting something additional that other classes getting 2h weapons will not. I haven’t heard word of any classes getting a mainhand as of yet, so what do we know of so far?

• Thief: Rifle
  • Guardian: Bow (Rumor)
  • Ranger: Staff
  • Engineer: Hammer
  • Necro: Greatsword
  • Mesmer: Shield
  • Ele: ?
  • Warrior: ?

So what could this be? There are a few possibilities here…

- Equipping Shield could alter mainhand abilities: Similar to a Thief, equipping a shield may change one or two of the skills on our two mainhand weapons. Illusionary Leap or Confusing Images could be changed to something different. Alternatively, shield skills could change depending on which mainhand is going with it. Alternatively alternatively..

- F1-F4 or Shield could be a blank slate that allows you to equip utilities: What if they replace our shatters with the ability to slot more utilities into our F1-F4? We ARE a utility class, after all. =P

- 3 extra utilities: Could it be that in addition to the 4 new utility weapons we could be receiving three more? While initially that doesn’t sound like an “equal” replacement to not getting a mainhand, keep in mind that utilities can go with ANY weaponset and isn’t limited to one. Assuming these three utilities are worthwhile, (/cough mimic) this offers the possibility of more build diversity than what we would’ve had with a mainhand weapon. Especially if these 7 new utilities are somehow slottable into our F1-F4 as previously mentioned.

- Possibility of a revamped class mechanic: While this seems the least likely, could it be that our class mechanic is so altered that in order to balance it out, they COULDN’T give us a new weapon? Will Chronomancer not be able to shatter illusions but gain F1 – F4 “Time Fields” with similar effects? Not likely, but possible.

- No NEW weapon doesn’t mean … Could HoT introduce offhands as mainhands? They specifically say that each class is getting only one new weapon, but they did not say whats happening with our older weapons. Of our offhands (Focus, Torch, Pistol, Sword) the only two that could make a viable mainhand are Sword and … Pistol! While I wouldn’t expect it, it isn’t impossible that classes only getting an offhand may be able to wield them in the mainhand and vice-versa.

I know speculation this early in won’t amount to much, but it also doesn’t hurt to discuss the possibilities. I don’t believe in sitting around going “anet sucks and everything they’ll produce is bad because everything they’ve ever done is bad.” when that point of view overlooks one major fact: Anet did still push out the class that we’re currently playing, and despite many missteps theres a lot to the base design Mesmer to enjoy. I 100% believe this expansion will give us atleast SOME viable new toys and open up more build diversity, so I don’t mind keeping cautious hopes.

What do you think this “something just as good” could be?

(edited by Chaos Archangel.5071)

in Mesmer

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

- Equipping Shield could alters mainhand abilities: Similar to a Thief, equipping a shield may change one or two of the skills on our two mainhand weapons. Illusionary Leap or Confusing Images could be changed to something different. Alternatively, shield skills could change depending on which mainhand is going with it.

I hope they do something like this.

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

I’m holding out for -at the least- offhands as mainhands. It satisfies the MH Pistol and MH Focus desires, potentially.

• I don’t trust their abilty to create good Mesmer utilities. Need I mention how some of our signets are, let alone the “new” Mimic?
  • Sure as Sin, they’re not going to code in changable OH skills based on MH weapon. Not just for Mesmers, at the very least.
  • As for revamping the class mechanic, I also doubt it … if only because Shatters are a bit more finicky than -for instance- changing Adrenaline to not longer persist OOC, or tweaking Initiative gain ratio. They’d have to go into what each Shatter does, and how to alter it. This, mind you from the same folks who “fixed” Mimic, denied a broken P-zerker for months. and still won’t even bother to address swiftness stacking and Mesmer T. Curtain.
  • Yes, I realise how grim I sound. However, I’m also a person who’s directly watched the nerf-cycle of this game. Hell, just using my two “main” choices (Mesmer/Thief), I’ve watched periods of time where either’d be screwed over. So, I hope for good things, but prepare for absolute suck.
Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

As far as I know shield will only be available to the Mesmer specialization. So the class mechanic will change… no matter if you use shield or not.

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

I’m holding out for -at the least- offhands as mainhands. It satisfies the MH Pistol and MH Focus desires, potentially.

• I don’t trust their abilty to create good Mesmer utilities. Need I mention how some of our signets are, let alone the “new” Mimic?
  • Sure as Sin, they’re not going to code in changable OH skills based on MH weapon. Not just for Mesmers, at the very least.
  • As for revamping the class mechanic, I also doubt it … if only because Shatters are a bit more finicky than -for instance- changing Adrenaline to not longer persist OOC, or tweaking Initiative gain ratio. They’d have to go into what each Shatter does, and how to alter it. This, mind you from the same folks who “fixed” Mimic, denied a broken P-zerker for months. and still won’t even bother to address swiftness stacking and Mesmer T. Curtain.
  • Yes, I realise how grim I sound. However, I’m also a person who’s directly watched the nerf-cycle of this game. Hell, just using my two “main” choices (Mesmer/Thief), I’ve watched periods of time where either’d be screwed over. So, I hope for good things, but prepare for absolute suck.

Hey! I like Signet of Inspiration/Domination. =P Signet of Illusions isn’t bad either. And they DID make Portal/Decoy/Blink/Mantras (which are better on paper but still)/Glamours.

I think the changing shield skills based on MH is actually pretty possible since we only have two mainhands.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

My list of additional possibilities:

• We could get 4-5 shield skills we can swap like utilities. (so we get 2 at a time)
  • We could just get a shield with 2 skills but also a change to our class mechanic (the phantasms) so that we end up having 2 new and 10/11(with downed state) phantasms reworked to something “different” (crossing fingers for hexes)
  • Maybe we get a mechanic to choose between a power and condition version for our main hands
  • It could also be a: dev:“hey you get something interesting” – mesmers:“woooh nice” → release of disruptors sustainment.
Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zarathustra.1458

Zarathustra.1458

Trust them when they deliver, but what have they delivered since the beta that has actually been any good ?

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Bountiful & Chaotic Interruption. =P

in Mesmer

Zarathustra.1458

Yes, just go point out the heart of my entire current build chaos, you kitten ed kitten…

in Mesmer

Advent.6193

Trust them when they deliver, but what have they delivered since the beta that has actually been any good ?

Just a few, off the top of my head:

• Glamours – until their overnerfing
  • Triumphant Distortion – if it ever is implemented the way it was originally discussed. Once you drop that ICD, it immediately becomes BA.
  • Power Block – before it got honestly overnerfed. Instead of the “X” seconds against Thieves, removing “X” amount of Initiative could’ve worked. But, as we know, they didn’t even attempt to run it that way.
  • Shattered Strength buff – I still maintain that if 3 stacks/illusion shattered was “too much,” then try at 2/per. Like the idea for Power Block, this did not happen.

You see, it’s part “not being able to deliver,” sure. However, it’s even more thay they’re (arguably) “afraid to deliver.” You also see this in other professions. Examples: Necro and Lifesteal, Eles and the RTL c/d nerf.
Someone back at ANet HQ needs to be a bit less scared to make a potentially high-end change. It can also be said that:

• They should’ve had a public test server from the freaking jump. This would allow for testing wide-scale changes, before releasing them into the wild.
  • Balance changes need to be somewhat more frequent. We’ve had periods of time where no balance alterations come in for months. It’s also silly to actively avoid balance concerns preceeding and/or during WvW seasons/PvP tourneys. These are the times when you’d logically want to address balancing concerns.
Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]

(edited by Advent.6193)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

I think we are getting some kind of ae slow, that + the stability change would make us very wanted in pvp. Imaging the current cele meta where everyone just cluster on a pt and you cast AE slow in to a 3 v 3 maybe combined with a time warp that’s an auto win.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Bountiful & Chaotic Interruption. =P

Trouble is that that’s almost it. You could also add maim—after like 4 buffs to it to get it to a workable state.

The other issue is that BI and CI still fall into the category of builds (interrupt builds) that work great until they don’t work at all. Against some classes, you’re a terror that must be avoided (necro, some warriors, bad thieves, other mesmers) and against others you’re someone that has the majority of their traits and toolsets devoted to a mechanic that simply does not work (engineers, eles, good thieves). It’s such an on or off sort of thing that makes it really hard to fully get behind for me.

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

- Equipping Shield could alter mainhand abilities:

I view this as incredibly unlikely. It would be such an enormous change and a really dangerous precedent to set in terms of future development being immensely complicated. I’d actually recommend against the possibility of doing that.

- 3 extra utilities:

This is a possibility…but I wouldn’t like it. We already have too many utilities that we want to slot at the same time. 3 extra ones is just going to give us more reasons to wish we had more utility slots…but no more utility slots to use.

- Possibility of a revamped class mechanic:

I actually think that some sort of modification here is the most likely thing…purely by process of elimination. It’s the only viable option. Unfortunately, there’s almost zero chance of this being worthwhile enough to replace a mainhand weapon.

- No NEW weapon doesn’t mean … Could HoT introduce offhands as mainhands? They specifically say that each class is getting only one new weapon, but they did not say whats happening with our older weapons.

C’mon, this is one titanic stretch and you know it.

I think it’s Jon Peters extemporizing on the spot to prevent from having to explain awful design decisions to people that actually have knowledge of game mechanics.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

Hype train hasnt derailed entirely for everyone i see…

This is speculation on a vague statement that had its own speculation…

If we’re going to play this game i think its entirely safe to discount cross profession mechanic cross overs aka Offhands altering mainhand skills or Mainhands altering Offhands

Safe to assume there will be no extra utilities to compensate, that would be entirely unfair for classes that get less of these

Safe to assume that we will not be getting the ability to swap weapon skills, this is a feature everyone wants and would cause a giant kitten storm if only a few classes got it and only for one weapon.

So whats left?

Compensation in the form of “good” or “powerful” utilities that are supposed to make up for less weapon skills that are new.

Slightly more altered Mechanics such as might or prot or regen from shatters by defualt?

Or lastly Traits – Traits that are built to synergize with the old main hand weapons more effectively than the poo droplets we currently have and will offer more than those getting 2h weapons will receive.

thats really the only fair and “easy” things i can think of that Anet might try.

I expect nothing on the grand scales of offering several classes (possibly) huge bonuses in customization just due to a bad design choice. It’ll have to be still on par with all other classes while compensating for less diversity and still be easy to balance (aka nerf) if it gets abused

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

- Equipping Shield could alter mainhand abilities:

I view this as incredibly unlikely. It would be such an enormous change and a really dangerous precedent to set in terms of future development being immensely complicated. I’d actually recommend against the possibility of doing that.

- 3 extra utilities:

This is a possibility…but I wouldn’t like it. We already have too many utilities that we want to slot at the same time. 3 extra ones is just going to give us more reasons to wish we had more utility slots…but no more utility slots to use.

- Possibility of a revamped class mechanic:

I actually think that some sort of modification here is the most likely thing…purely by process of elimination. It’s the only viable option. Unfortunately, there’s almost zero chance of this being worthwhile enough to replace a mainhand weapon.

- No NEW weapon doesn’t mean … Could HoT introduce offhands as mainhands? They specifically say that each class is getting only one new weapon, but they did not say whats happening with our older weapons.

C’mon, this is one titanic stretch and you know it.

I think it’s Jon Peters extemporizing on the spot to prevent from having to explain awful design decisions to people that actually have knowledge of game mechanics.

Pyro you are a bastion of hope. =P (And you’re kinda right, I couldn’t think of anything beyond Bountiful/Chaotic. Tho I hear Signet of the Ether is pretty good for PvE)

I definitely do think it’s a stretch for MH Pistol, but I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility. If we end up being the ONLY class that gets an offhand as a new weapon, then I do see the possibility of Pistol being pushed as mainhand. The only other class that has a weapon that can work as both mainhand AND offhand and isn’t atm is Necro’s axe.

The most likely scenario are more utilities, which opens up the possibility of “what if shatters are replaced with the ability to slot utility skills in our F1-F4?”

As for the shield granting different skills depending on whether or not you have a sword or scepter equipped, seems very possible to me… Or maybe the shield is a blank slate we can slot extra utilities in!? /hypetrain

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jedge.3619

Jedge.3619

-snip-

The sound of reason.

What a Churlundalo

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Safe to assume there will be no extra utilities to compensate, that would be entirely unfair for classes that get less of these

I expect nothing on the grand scales of offering several classes (possibly) huge bonuses in customization just due to a bad design choice. It’ll have to be still on par with all other classes while compensating for less diversity and still be easy to balance (aka nerf) if it gets abused

Ya’ll keep chucking dynamite at my hypetain. =P Anyways, I think the extra utilities are actually the most likely. What’s “unfair” here is other classes getting a full 5 new skills while we get shafted with only two. The closest thing to ‘just as good’ would be compensating us for the skills we lost.

However, I don’t think that even the devs would be like “hey guys! We gave you some actually GOOD traits, because that wasn’t our original intent! =D Wahoo! Bye frands!”

in Mesmer

Me Games Ma.8426

Or maybe the shield is a blank slate we can slot extra utilities in!? /hypetrain

The H Y P E is real!!!

Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

As for the shield granting different skills depending on whether or not you have a sword or scepter equipped, seems very possible to me… Or maybe the shield is a blank slate we can slot extra utilities in!? /hypetrain

The reason I would shy away from both of these actually, is what I mentioned earlier about it setting a dangerous precedent. Currently, only one class (thief) has skills that change based on full weaponset choices and that’s part of thief design. If they suddenly give that to mesmer, now they need to start giving it to everyone, because it’s no longer a unique class mechanic. It devalues the interesting possibilities it has with thief, and means they have to put a whole lot of work into providing it for a bunch of different classes. Similar sort of situation with shield as a blank slate to slot utilities in, that’s a really dangerous precedent to set and every class is going to want something they can do that with (particularly engineer, off the top of my head).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

Ya’ll keep chucking dynamite at my hypetain. =P Anyways, I think the extra utilities are actually the most likely. What’s “unfair” here is other classes getting a full 5 new skills while we get shafted with only two. The closest thing to ‘just as good’ would be compensating us for the skills we lost.

However, I don’t think that even the devs would be like “hey guys! We gave you some actually GOOD traits, because that wasn’t our original intent! =D Wahoo! Bye frands!”

I’ve come to terms that things just aren’t going to be “Fair” when it comes to being a Mesmer.

And I don’t think Anet would phrase it like that, they’d use much more flowery language to make you think they had done you a major favor by compensating for their bad choices and a lot of people wouldn’t see past it and would indeed feel happy and thankful for it.

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Whats kind of sad is that even the most outlandish possibilities people are putting forward still don’t make up for our main hand deficiency.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

“Every profession is indeed only getting one new weapon. However, Jon Peters teased that classes getting an offhand would get something “just as good” as the extra three skills and that he couldn’t say more. I suspect that the specialization might unlock three new utility skills, but that’s my speculation." – Nefara
Taken from here

I really wonder what is going to happen. I can’t wrap my head around what is going to happen with Illusions when picking the specialization.

So far we haven’t seen a Mesmer with a shield cast a clone or phantasm. Maybe there won’t be any and our illusion skills will just grant us some sort of resource. Yet again, this would be a pretty massive change to the class.

- Equipping Shield could alter mainhand abilities: Similar to a Thief, equipping a shield may change one or two of the skills on our two mainhand weapons. Illusionary Leap or Confusing Images could be changed to something different. Alternatively, shield skills could change depending on which mainhand is going with it. Alternatively alternatively..

This would be my favourite solution. New F-skills only when running shield would limit the build diversity of the new specialization quite heavily. 3 extra utilities sounds extremly boring considering that we might get new utilities anyway (see Druids).

- No NEW weapon doesn’t mean … Could HoT introduce offhands as mainhands? They specifically say that each class is getting only one new weapon, but they did not say whats happening with our older weapons. Of our offhands (Focus, Torch, Pistol, Sword) the only two that could make a viable mainhand are Sword and … Pistol! While I wouldn’t expect it, it isn’t impossible that classes only getting an offhand may be able to wield them in the mainhand and vice-versa.

But maybe we are overthinking it and this is the answer. We know how much ANet likes to play games with us. Pistol would be the main contenter and won’t be a new weapon. I can also see MH Torch. Focus… meh. I’d rather not have MH Focus.

in Mesmer

Zarathustra.1458

Whats kind of sad is that even the most outlandish possibilities people are putting forward still don’t make up for our main hand deficiency.

At this point, it is mainhand pistol or please just don’t touch me…..

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

But maybe we are overthinking it and this is the answer. We know how much ANet likes to play games with us. Pistol would be the main contenter and won’t be a new weapon. I can also see MH Torch. Focus… meh. I’d rather not have MH Focus.

I’m pretty sure this is massively overthinking and reading into what anet said. Anet made a really simple statement: 1 new weapon per class.

Reading into that statement the meaning of ‘oh, well they said ’new’, so what if we could have old weapons repurposed, that wouldn’t be ‘new’, just ‘kinda new’ but old at the same time…is probably the most textbook example of overthinking something I can come up with.

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

I couldn’t think of anything beyond Bountiful/Chaotic.

Bah. Besides those already mentioned, these were all decent to good buffs we’ve received since the beginning:

• All mantras, most notably pain and distraction AoE.
  • Spatial Surge line AoE (up to 3).
  • Confusing Images line AoE (up to 5).
  • Mind Stab (GS) AoE buff.
  • Triumphant Distortion.
  • Scepter torment.
  • Halting Strike.
  • Confounding Suggestions.
  • Phantasmal Mage buff.

There are probably more and I didn’t include bug “fixes”. I listed only the ones that had a decent to significant impact on builds that are commonly used. I left many out that are only fringe useful or trash.

Of course we had numerous nerfs to go along with those buffs and some very annoying bugs we had to long endure before fixed. It’s interesting to see though how people summarily dismiss the good we’ve received and instead rally together in an aura of negativity and commiseration, claiming we’ve received nothing.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Zarathustra.1458

Because of those things, how many of them should have been in the first instance. GS for example should have been aoe to begin with, and scepter is a bandaid fix to get past the sad fact that we only have 2 main hand weapons…

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

• All mantras, most notably pain and distraction AoE.

Good point, forgot about these.

• Spatial Surge line AoE (up to 3).
  • Confusing Images line AoE (up to 5).

These were blanket changes to beam attacks…but I’ll give it to you.

• Mind Stab (GS) AoE buff.

This is tarnished by the fact that there were so many great suggestions about how to make mind stab better…and they just increased the aoe a bit. We could have had a blast, a daze, a pulsing aoe, so many great things were offered…but none were taken.

• Triumphant Distortion.

Which was neutered on released by a hefty ICD.

• Scepter torment.

Which did absolutely nothing to fix the actual problems with the autoattack, so now we’re left with an incredibly awful autoattack…that happens to apply torment now. Additionally, the change means that fixing the scepter auto is off of the devs to-do list and so we’ll probably be stuck with it for another 2 years.

• Halting Strike.
  • Confounding Suggestions.

These were good changes, true.

• Phantasmal Mage buff.

Look at me with a straight face and tell me that you actually believe the iMage buffs were impactful in any way and made the iMage anything other than still trash occupying the 5 slot on torch.

Yeah, there are some good things we’ve gotten, but not many, and most of the good things are at least slightly tarnished by their implementation or other associated nerfs.

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Dude, scepter 2 torment was a MASSIVE buff to condi builds, despite how awkward the weapon is. And torment on auto is neat. Not what I wanted and not addressing the main issue, but still a good buff.

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Dude, scepter 2 torment was a MASSIVE buff to condi builds, despite how awkward the weapon is. And torment on auto is neat. Not what I wanted and not addressing the main issue, but still a good buff.

Ah, the scepter 2 torment was a significant buff to condie builds. That being said, you also need to consider that it was a significant nerf to power builds using the scepter. It basically changed the scepter from a power weapon into a condition weapon.

As far as the auto goes, I would rather they did absolutely nothing to it than this weak change, specifically because of what I said. The autoattack is close to literally non-functional. I almost never even press the button when using scepter, and that’s because it’s so god-awful. The fact that now they’ve decided that it’s buffed and is fine means we won’t get a real fix for it for another 2 years, and that’s just flat out insulting.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jedge.3619

Jedge.3619

I couldn’t think of anything beyond Bountiful/Chaotic.

It’s interesting to see though how people summarily dismiss the good we’ve received and instead rally together in an aura of negativity and commiseration, claiming we’ve received nothing.

Sure. A lot of people were asking for mainhand pistol. Are we getting that? No. Was the new “mimic” change beneficial for our class? No. Breaking phantasms, signets are useless, and our “new” grandmasters are horrible. Oh, arcane thievery still misses half the time. Portal still has no range indicator. I don’t understand how people can still be positive or be hopeful given the direction of our class. Sure you can list the good in an overflowing sea of bad that still needs to be addressed.

What a Churlundalo

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

Reading into that statement the meaning of ‘oh, well they said ’new’, so what if we could have old weapons repurposed, that wouldn’t be ‘new’, just ‘kinda new’ but old at the same time…is probably the most textbook example of overthinking something I can come up with.

It might not happen but I wouldn’t describe it as overthinking anything. Considering the extremly scarce information we got about specializations this is one of the more obvious ways it could work out.

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

• Phantasmal Mage buff.

Look at me with a straight face and tell me that you actually believe the iMage buffs were impactful in any way and made the iMage anything other than still trash occupying the 5 slot on torch.

I wouldn’t be able to look at you and with a straight face and believe this one. I’d honestly probably burst out laughing. But still, it was a decent (if not unmentionable) buff.

The ones you say were tarnished by a mediocre enhancement; while I agree with you, they were decent buffs nonetheless.

Ah yes, one of the biggest ones I forgot. We’ve definitely received some nice buffs in the midst of the mess.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

Maybe it’s the strength of our mechanic? If we’re only given 2 weapon skills but more powerful mechanic skills, perhaps it’ll balance out based on how we’re specializing.

For instance, the Necro could be specializing for a more brutish and up-close way of fighting, thus their death shroud doesn’t give the skills but maybe increases the defense it gives when active. Mesmers, on the other hand, are specializing in our lockdown abilities. Every weapon set’s 4-5 skills has one CC skill, so it makes sense for them to give us an offhand to provide us with more CC for Lockdown. However, to make up for the lack of skills, they alter our 4 shatters into 4 Lockdown-oriented skills.

That’s my thought on it, at least.

in Mesmer

Advent.6193

That’s an interesting take, Dondagora. I’d not complain, since I tend to run mainly condilock these days. The only issue is in believing that something that BA could happen, considering the overall nerf-to-buff-to-HolyKittenBroken that skills in this game cycle through … and more so on the more “complex” classes.

in Mesmer

Posted by: cyyrix.6105

cyyrix.6105

Found an old video of Pyro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQI0E1WCLMU

It’s mind-boggling why he still keeps up with the scene. The masochism is off the charts.

Cyyrix | Marypoppins Deathsquad [mds] | Team Riot [RIOT] | Blackgate

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sharkey.9805

Sharkey.9805

Hey now, my iMage can almost reach those slow-moving dolyaks in WvW now. Last time when I cast it right nearby, it even got a hit in before it moved out of range and the mage started running up to it and throwing a bolt just barely in its range, then the dolyak moving out of range in the time it took the projectile to reach it. That’s… something?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Found an old video of Pyro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQI0E1WCLMU

It’s mind-boggling why he still keeps up with the scene. The masochism is off the charts.

LOL, not bad. xD

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

If the specialization, being added by a mostly PvE focused expansion, is focused on lockdown after the only decent buffs Mesmer have received for 3 years is to their lockdown skills then I am out. I want variety not to be pigeonholed into one build usable in one small part of the game.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Menaka.5092

Menaka.5092

My list of additional possibilities:

• We could get 4-5 shield skills we can swap like utilities. (so we get 2 at a time)

This would be interesting (altough not “just as good”).

What if we get secondary effects on our main hand skills? Like, for example, if you have a shield in off hand, your Sword third autoattack applies quickness for 1 second (1 second of slow on scepter AA?), or something like that?

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

What if we get secondary effects on our main hand skills? Like, for example, if you have a shield in off hand, your Sword third autoattack applies quickness for 1 second (1 second of slow on scepter AA?), or something like that?

That sounds like a trait to me, not an innate mechanic.

in Mesmer

Me Games Ma.8426

But I really like the Idea.

Let’s try beeing creative with that:

• Sword – Focus (supportive)
    AA-Chain: copy a boon from yourself to your allies on every 3rd hit
    Blurred Frenzy: grants 1s of blur for up to 5 allies.
    iLeap+Swap: swap is explosion finisher
  • Sword – Pistol (duel stuff)
    AA-Chain: 3rd attack steals the boon now
    Blurred Frenzy: reverted to invulnerability
    iLeap+Swap: possible to cast when the clone is dead already
  • Sword – Torch (condition)
    AA-Chain: bleed on 1 and 2.
    Blurred Frenzy: last hit inflicts poison
    iLeap+Swap: add chill
  • Sword – Shield (time)
    AA-Chain: slow on 3rd hit
    Blurred Frenzy: cooldown from 12s to 10s
    iLeap+Swap: per immobilized enemy you gain quickness
  • Sword – Sword (offensive)
    AA-Chain: more dmg
    Blurred Frenzy: daze on first hit
    iLeap+Swap: Reverse the skill (you leap and the clone stays at your pose, like in beta)
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Menaka.5092

“Recharge shield skills 20% faster and…”, yeah. Could work as a trait.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

But I really like the Idea.

Let’s try beeing creative with that:

• Sword – Focus (supportive)
    AA-Chain: copy a boon from yourself to your allies on every 3rd hit
    Blurred Frenzy: grants 1s of blur for up to 5 allies.
    iLeap+Swap: swap is explosion finisher
  • Sword – Pistol (duel stuff)
    AA-Chain: 3rd attack steals the boon now
    Blurred Frenzy: reverted to invulnerability
    iLeap+Swap: possible to cast when the clone is dead already
  • Sword – Torch (condition)
    AA-Chain: bleed on 1 and 2.
    Blurred Frenzy: last hit inflicts poison
    iLeap+Swap: add chill
  • Sword – Shield (time)
    AA-Chain: slow on 3rd hit
    Blurred Frenzy: cooldown from 12s to 10s
    iLeap+Swap: per immobilized enemy you gain quickness
  • Sword – Sword (offensive)
    AA-Chain: more dmg
    Blurred Frenzy: daze on first hit
    iLeap+Swap: Reverse the skill (you leap and the clone stays at your pose, like in beta)

While I absolutely love this selection of skill evolutions, I would suggest a better option is to just give each skill a branching “tree” where a player can customise it as they like, instead of being limited to specific unchangeable options based on equipment.

For example the sword auto – applying bleeds, stripping boons, copying boons, etc… maybe some things can be hidden behind trait walls, but otherwise having at least 3 options per skill, and at least one level of branching would be nice.

You could even go the extra bit and give the choice between, again taking sword AA as the example – melee cleave or ranged rapid fire pink bolt chain (like greatsword AA but discrete bolts), still with power focus. There’s your ranged mainhand power right there.

You could take scepter and give the choice between ranged AA bolts or melee AA, still remaining with its condition focus.

I hope that makes sense – I would like to see an rpg style skill evolution for every skill including auto attacks.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lyssas.1586

Lyssas.1586

My best guess would be that we’ll be seeing a change to our core mechanic in some way. The reason that is what I think we (and mostly every profession) will see is that the devs have stated that the specialization will have access to everything the base class has access to (correct me if I’m wrong), a druid can use all ranger traits, utilities and weapons yet a ranger can not use the druid specific stuff. If this is the case then why would anyone not play as the specialization? Having at least the core mechanic changed would give some incitament for players to stay as the base class if that ends up being the mechanic they prefer.

Have I misunderstood something or will everyone simply default change to the specialization? This would indeed solve itself once we see multiple specializations but that might be a while.

in Mesmer

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

We better be the first class reveal when they start rolling out the weekly updates. Way too much speculation, a lot if ANet hyperbole and a lot of unknowns with this class going into HoT.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in Mesmer

Me Games Ma.8426

I’m not sure why but I think that Cronomancer will be the last specialization to be confirmed. Maybe because mesmer was the last to be revealed before launch.

Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Zarathustra.1458

We are mesmers, we are always last in the minds of the devs…

in Mesmer

Menaka.5092

Actually, I think they started working on the “weakest” classes first.

The first specialization they announced is Ranger, they confirmed Necro GS and they showed Mesmer and Engineer in the video, that makes me think that those specializations are the ones that they had already sorted out.

Or maybe it’s just clever hype manipulation…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mr Colin.1863

Mr Colin.1863

1. Will we receive an iLeap that does not bug, can be cast regardless of target and let us leap and leave behind a copy of us?
  2. Will we receive a temporal curtain that does stack with swiftness.
  3. Will we get a ms buff?
  4. Will we get any form of reliable dps that does not get killed instantly after proccing once vs most bosses/wvw?
  5. Will we get any role that does not involve a gimmick?

Note that I’m the most worried about the last one.
If indeed we receive a shield, and this is mainly useful in PvP, it will likely be gimmicky that “changes” pvp. As portal did. Oh wait… And mass invis. Oh wait… And any of the other utilities and skills we have.

(edited by Mr Colin.1863)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

Agree with Menaka, with a little extra evidence: They’ve already shown and confirmed some of the specialization weapons[Mesmer-Shield, Druid, Necro-GS, Engi-Hammer], thus the ones most likely getting confirmed last will be those who haven’t been confirmed[Warrior, Guardian, Thief, Elementalist]. The very last one will most likely be Revenant, seeing as he’ll be the biggest mystery.