How do you all handle being so slow?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nautika.5376

Nautika.5376

My main is a Ranger and we now have a perma 25% run buff, my other is a Necro and the same thing (both were leveled before that patch)….

It seems EVERY SINGLE CLASS has a way to stay at 25% – 33% 90-100% of the time EXCEPT Mesmer…

How do you all deal with that? As is you are FORCED to use a focus and use a worthless trait that has NO secondary passive or functional skill like so many other classes as well.

It is just so nice to be able to get from point A to point B & C fast and without having to gimp myself because I am FORCED to use a specific offhand.

I can only imagine what you all go through in WvW or Pvp being unable to get away or catch anyone who wants to leave.

So I ask again how do you all deal with being the slowest class in the game?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Emanuel.9781

Emanuel.9781

Inspiration VIII
A Focus
2X superior runes of the monk
2X superior runes of water
2X major runes of water
Chocolate Omnomberry Cream

96,25% swiftness uptime. Screw full centaur runes…

But yeah, before using that build(and leveling), it was terrible. Having to switch to the focus every once in a while just to get a swiftness buff. TERRIBLE.
When not using that kinda build, i feel like a cotton turtle again.

Rezardi [DnT] – Elite Playhowiwanter US
NemesisMMNecro [rT] – Trans-Transsylvanian RPer EU

(edited by Emanuel.9781)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Osicat.4139

Osicat.4139

Well tbh I dont feel so slow, like our dmg our movment can be used in bursts and take enemys by suprice. I usualy have no problem catch a target within 2200y. Just that al mesmer dont know about the special tactic used.

Have a look mate.

/Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nautika.5376

Nautika.5376

Osicay your way works I will give it that. Yet we still have to gimp ourselves to be able to keep up with lets say a small WvW group.

I just believe everyone should have the same speed uptime of 25% with classes being different with the 33% uptime.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I don’t really have much of a problem with it.

Part of this is that I think permanent access to convenience runspeed makes for bad game design (we already get an out-of-combat runspeed buff, just improve it if it’s required).
And, in WvW groups, you always have people spamming Swiftness buffs anyhow.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hendo.4671

Hendo.4671

I deal with it by going to WvW and pulling people off of walls with my Focus.

It makes me giggle.

“Right now, if Trahearne were to be ground into mulch in front of me,
I’d offer the one responsible a carafe of balsamic vinaigrette dressing and some croutons.”
— BaireSharque

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alex.9268

Alex.9268

Signet of inspiration, centaur runes and a focus offhand. It is more than enough to keep perma swiftness up in WvW with ether feast.

It sucks.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryx.5476

Ryx.5476

I am feeling that slowness in using a Mesmer after playing a Warrior and a Thief, however once you get to your destination, there is so much fun on what you can do without switching anything. Focus 4 is the only speed boost I have + Blink. That compensates though it’s not enough, I’m still happy with what we have right now. One thing I really do sometimes is to travel with a warhorn specc’d warrior. :P

May Dwayna blaze you.. #420

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shizune Fujibayashi.4813

Shizune Fujibayashi.4813

My main is a Ranger and we now have a perma 25% run buff, my other is a Necro and the same thing (both were leveled before that patch)….

It seems EVERY SINGLE CLASS has a way to stay at 25% – 33% 90-100% of the time EXCEPT Mesmer…

How do you all deal with that? As is you are FORCED to use a focus and use a worthless trait that has NO secondary passive or functional skill like so many other classes as well.

It is just so nice to be able to get from point A to point B & C fast and without having to gimp myself because I am FORCED to use a specific offhand.

I can only imagine what you all go through in WvW or Pvp being unable to get away or catch anyone who wants to leave.

So I ask again how do you all deal with being the slowest class in the game?

Second slowest.

Guardian has to take an awkwardly-built 2-handed weapon, a trait, and a utility slot just to get 66% swiftness uptime. They have no other movement speed increases, no viable non-melee attack options, and no reliable skills to teleport, self-launch, or otherwise get away from enemies. Mesmers at least have blink.

Yes yes Guardian can tank to an extent, but if everyone except you is running away and you can’t follow them, you’re gonna die.

This isn’t to say mesmers don’t have it rough in the movement department, but it could be worse.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ravbek.7938

Ravbek.7938

I use Focus and have Focus traited for 20% CD Reduction, not the best for speed but with blink and Phase Retreat I can get around pretty sharpish. Although some guy left me in the dusk the other day in WvW…not sure how he got so far away so quick…oh well, all classes have things they are good at and things they are bad at

Cybek – Gunnars Hold
Wipus Frequentus – www.wipus.net
Rock Paper Signet – www.rockpapershotgun.com

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ramiah.5648

Ramiah.5648

This was the greatest obsticle to me to playing a Mesmer. I really REALLY missed that run speed buff having just tried out a Necromancer and having a permanent 25% increase at level FIVE, and a swiftness whever I wanted it off a the warhorn.
The kick in the face to me was how much I had to switch weapons as a Mesmer compared to any other profession. For clone/phantasm generation I switch often, and it’s frustrating that the Phantasm on the focus isn’t one I like.

Thy faithful servant asketh for thy blessing. Honor us with the splendor of thy song.
Protect us… Holy Song!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Deae.6415

Deae.6415

just use candy corn ice cream 30 min sugar rush

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sarcasmic.6741

Sarcasmic.6741

Beg, borrow, and steal swiftness boons from nearby allies. I always run with a focus, combat or not. Into the Void is just far too useful to not have. Minor swiftness is just an added perk.

Stace (Lv 80 human quickness portal bot) | Sarcasmic (Lv 80 elixir-drunk norn pyro)
Saladtha (Lv 80 salad sidekick to bears) | Dunelle (Lv 80 eviscerating muppet)
Karmell (Lv 80 human might dispenser) | Vast says hi~.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lordryux.9785

Lordryux.9785

nobody wants to change thier whole rune set up to just get 2 or 3 more seconds of swiftness it still doesnt help we are the slowest class in the whole game no matter which way you look at it. if anet is giving out free 25% movement speed buffs on signets give us something to compensate aswell as equally as those other classes. signet of inspiration is verry unreliable for swiftness focus #4 is 12 seconds now but yet i feel like it runs out fairly quickly even with swiftness duration runes x.x but apparently we are meant to not be fast so. w.e i still feel more powerful than the other classes tho thats a +1 ^^

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

I run runes of centaur and sig of inspiration.

I am not slow and have perma swiftness.

No issues. And runes of centaur are not horrible as it helps you bleeds

in Mesmer

Alex.9268

I have to say, most painful of all is watching D/D elementalists’ air4.

I would trade portal in for ride the lightning any day.

in Mesmer

Posted by: kylia.4813

kylia.4813

Osicay your way works I will give it that. Yet we still have to gimp ourselves to be able to keep up with lets say a small WvW group.

I just believe everyone should have the same speed uptime of 25% with classes being different with the 33% uptime.

???

A well oiled wvw group will cycle speed buffs, and stick close together, never have any problems sticking with the group as long as you have a coordinated group that takes turns speed buffing the group.

in Mesmer

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

I play a necro and I would trade this pathetic Signet of the Locust for Blink any day.
I would even throw in Flesh Wurm since it it useless.

Prepare the paperwork we will send to Anet, let’s get this moving.

Leman

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kazhiel.8194

Kazhiel.8194

I have no problem with movement speed and I almost never use a focus. In wvw the people in the group with aoe speed buffs should be taking turns and making sure the whole group stays together. If I’m pve or solo wvw or running with thoughtless louts I have a set of armor with Rune of the Centaur and use Mirror for heal, it means I practically have permanent swiftness since there’s only about two seconds between swiftness running out and Mirror’s cd being over. Other times I may use a focus, focus is not bad at all, it can be a very handy weapon in certain situations.

Jalliel [AI] – Yak’s Bend

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kazhiel.8194

Kazhiel.8194

Signet of inspiration, centaur runes and a focus offhand. It is more than enough to keep perma swiftness up in WvW with ether feast.

It sucks.

If you have Rune of the Centaur ditch the focus (if you’d rather use a different weapon) and use Mirror for heal lmao, it’s nearly perma swift with no focus needed.

Jalliel [AI] – Yak’s Bend

in Mesmer

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

I use Centaur Runes (Superior of course) and an Endless Tonic.

The “get out of Tonic Form” counts as a heal! In case anyone didn’t know!

(I know Centaur Runes are kind of…., but I use it to get around)

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

in Mesmer

Alex.9268

It sucks.

If you have Rune of the Centaur ditch the focus (if you’d rather use a different weapon) and use Mirror for heal lmao, it’s nearly perma swift with no focus needed.

Yeah, no. Signet and centaur runes alone do not provide 100% swiftness uptime.

Mirror heal is ridiculous, so no I won’t be using that as a band aid either.

For now I gear for speed, and it works. And it sucks.

in Mesmer

Lysico.4906

umm centaur and mirror heal is .5 sec downtime on swiftness. Gee think I can take that..

Plus centaur is not horrible rune set.

Some folks complain just to complain at this point

in Mesmer

Lordryux.9785

centaur horrible rune set will never trade it for my air runes EVER ! period point blank other classes got the more reliable movement speed but us anet needs to compensate with something as equally good. and they didnt.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

umm centaur and mirror heal is .5 sec downtime on swiftness. Gee think I can take that..

The thing is you shouldn’t have to waste a rune slot just to keep up with all other professions (apart from maybe guardian, but even they have easier sustainable swiftness). It’s not really complaining as such it’s about getting some balance in regards to swiftness among professions.

Not being able to keep up with the general battle because you are still half way across the map slowly crawling your way to the other side but not being able to switch to focus in case you run into a friendly neighbourhood thief and his gang of d/d ele’s. (Not to mention the annoyance of having to constantly swap weapons)

Or able to keep enemies from running, denying fair kills (Warriors and thieves I find being the worst offenders with their charges and stealth, I feel like a slug trying to go after them) Is just annoying to say the least.

The point is that we shouldn’t have to sacrifice more useful runes that fit our playstyle, entire builds or an offhand that’s pretty meh compared to pistol and sword just for some reasonable speed.

Other professions have weapon swiftness and permanent utility swiftness. One idea would be to make Blink into a sigil where the passive is the running speed buff, Would make sense to me anyway.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

in Mesmer

Alex.9268

The thing is you shouldn’t have to waste a rune slot just to keep up with all other professions (apart from maybe guardian, but even they have easier sustainable swiftness). It’s not really complaining as such it’s about getting some balance in regards to swiftness among professions.

Not being able to keep up with the general battle because you are still half way across the map slowly crawling your way to the other side but not being able to switch to focus in case you run into a friendly neighbourhood thief and his gang of d/d ele’s. (Not to mention the annoyance of having to constantly swap weapons)

Or able to keep enemies from running, denying fair kills (Warriors and thieves I find being the worst offenders with their charges and stealth, I feel like a slug trying to go after them) Is just annoying to say the least.

The point is that we shouldn’t have to sacrifice more useful runes that fit our playstyle, entire builds or an offhand that’s pretty meh compared to pistol and sword just for some reasonable speed.

Other professions have weapon swiftness and permanent utility swiftness. One idea would be to make Blink into a sigil where the passive is the running speed buff, Would make sense to me anyway.

Exactly, well put

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

First of all; you aren’t slow as a Mesmer, it’s other professions that are faster. There’s a difference there. Being faster is a bonus, it’s not something all professions should have the ability to do equally. Some professions have it because they need it, other professions has it as something specific their profession is good at, and then there are professions like the Mesmer, who isn’t as good when it comes to movement speed, but who has a lot of other tricks at their disposal.

How does having to use a focus to get more movement speed, any different from having to use a Signet? Both have uses beyond the movement speed that they each provide. A Signet has an active effect, and the Mesmers focus is a great weapon that not only can give you swiftness, but also pull people to you, block projectiles, and deal great AoE damage. And if it’s not one of your main weapons, you can simply switch it out as soon as you have used Temporal Curtain. All it takes is a double mouse click in your inventory.

Bottom line is; the time you lose from not having as much movement speed as other professions, is ridiculously small. What is it that you think you’re going to miss out on in the 10 seconds extra it takes for you to get somewhere? To answer your question: How do you handle not having the same movement speed as other professions? You realize that it’s not a big deal, at all.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Mesmer

Posted by: MLieBennett.9031

MLieBennett.9031

When Movement Speed is a big deal:

1) Trying to do a jumping puzzle, while in-combat status. (Uncategorized and Solid Ocean >.>)
2) Trying to chase down a fleeing opponent or escape from opponents in WvWvW. Either you end up like Wile E. Coyote looking at Road Runner, or just can’t escape them as you constantly dodge, roll, and stealth while clearing conditions to keep moving and stay alive.
3) Getting out of Red Rings of Death on the ground, when out of Stamina. Normal move speed usually doesn’t cut it.
Note this is coming from someone who almost ALWAYS has the Focus as a weapon equipped (And got The Anomaly, because most of them look hideous).

I still say, they need to change Compounding Celerity.

Compounding Celerity
You and your illusions move 25% faster. This bonus decreases by 8% for each active illusion for you, but not your illusions.

YOU NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN’T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?
- (Death, Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)

in Mesmer

Lordryux.9785

1) Trying to do a jumping puzzle, while in-combat status. (Uncategorized and Solid Ocean >.>)
2) Trying to chase down a fleeing opponent or escape from opponents in WvWvW. Either you end up like Wile E. Coyote looking at Road Runner, or just can’t escape them as you constantly dodge, roll, and stealth while clearing conditions to keep moving and stay alive.
3) Getting out of Red Rings of Death on the ground, when out of Stamina. Normal move speed usually doesn’t cut it.
Note this is coming from someone who almost ALWAYS has the Focus as a weapon equipped (And got The Anomaly, because most of them look hideous).

Compounding Celerity
You and your illusions move 25% faster. This bonus decreases by 8% for each active illusion for you, but not your illusions.

Forget incombat speed i really not care for it at all we dont want that crap we want a RELIABLE way of swiftness uptime or movement speed like the other classes have we are the weak link in the movement speed department no matter how which way you guys put it just face it and stop making up excuses we shouldnt have to change out whole rune set that goes with our build just to get a little extra swiftness time or aswell walk around with a focus on in WvW wat if u get jumped by a thief while ur switching in and out for temporal curtain buff hmm? and your a GS/Staff mesmer that crap hurts you severely they promised us a more reliable way to get swiftness and failed on that buff wooo 5 seconds more swiftness for signet of inspiration which is totally random chance of getting it lmao. woo 2 more seconds on temporal curtain i still feel like it runs out faster than you can say freakin oops this is totally rediculous how i always see my group wayyyyy in the front while im in the back of the pack hope to get the swiftness buff from signet of inspiration and waiting for temporal curtain to get off CD … we shouldnt have to do this at all. thats the point.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Compounding Celerity

I’m not sure I can take those “concerns” seriously at all..

1: When doing jumping puzzles, you have plenty of time to equip all your movement speed gear, since you are just doing a jumping puzzle. When it comes to fractals, you simply get help from your allies to get more movement speed. That’s why they are there; to help you. Or you could also just, you know, kill the mobs and wait until you are out of combat before you jump?

2: I’m not sure why you are worried about chasing opponents, but if you are, then snare conditions are going to be ten times more helpful then movement speed is. And when it comes to escaping, you are only very rarely going to escape a zerg, no matter what profession you are. When it comes to escaping a handful of players, you just have to play with your surroundings. Run around a rock, then go into stealth, and run back towards them again, while you watch them continue to run around the rock. But as said when it comes to chasing; the real problem here is not your movement speed, but your opponents snare skills. Mantra of Resolve has saved me more times in WvW, then any movement skill ever could.

3: Getting out of red rings? All professions has this problem, that’s why you have to know when you are wasting a dodge, and when you are not. And if you are out of stamina, then you still have Distortion (shatter), Phrase Retreat, Illusionary Counter, Blurred Frenzy, Illusionary Leap/Swap, Illusionary Riposte, Blink, and Phantasmal Defender, that all can help you without using any movement speed at all!

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

My major issue, RE: #2, is as follows. The problem with chasing opponents is magnified when 1 of our lockdown/CC moves (I. Leap) is at best, imperfect. Now, M. Bullet’s frigginc ace, but not all Mesmers roll with OH Pistol. Same can be said with Temporal Curtain/Into the Void.

As for #3: I built for more Toughness for a reason. Helps me limp out of the occasional RRoD, even if my current build’s not Dueling-heavy.

Overall, I’ll say this: it’s one thing to argue that not all classes need speed upgrades, and entirely another to toss +25% movespeed to every Tom, Dick, and Harry – besides Mes/Guard. And Guard’s got massively better pulls/snares/gap-closers, one can argue.

As is, the current sitch is like rubbing salt in open wounds, especially with the bit about “more reliable swiftness.” If speed’s such a non-dilemma, then indeed only certain other classes should have packed a full +25% signet option (prolly Thief/Ele, since they’re both high-mobility/paper-skin professions.)

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: knackyknave.7469

knackyknave.7469

I run runes of centaur and sig of inspiration.

I am not slow and have perma swiftness.

No issues. And runes of centaur are not horrible as it helps you bleeds

Do Runes of the Centaur really help bleeds caused by Sharper Images? I was under the impression SI bleeds are generated by your illusions which do not benefit from your runes.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

@knackyknave:
No, although you can use a sigil of the earth to get some synergy out the runes.

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Don’t run with Thieves, Necros, Elementalists, nor Rangers because they have +25% passives.
Don’t run with Warriors that have +movement with melee weapon trait.
Don’t run with Engineers that have perma-swiftess with kit activation (trait).

Do run with other professions that give group swiftness boons — like a Guardian that throws down symbol of swiftess from their staff or uses “Retreat!”, or maybe an ele with air staff 4. The other professions are not likely to bring group swiftness now that they have a passive which is almost as good (and opens up a utility slot for something other than swiftess).

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Mesmer

juno.1840

/end sarcasm

We are pretty limited…

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Mesmer

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

[Second slowest.

Guardian has to take an awkwardly-built 2-handed weapon, a trait, and a utility slot just to get 66% swiftness uptime. They have no other movement speed increases, no viable non-melee attack options, and no reliable skills to teleport, self-launch, or otherwise get away from enemies. Mesmers at least have blink.

Yes yes Guardian can tank to an extent, but if everyone except you is running away and you can’t follow them, you’re gonna die.

This isn’t to say mesmers don’t have it rough in the movement department, but it could be worse.

I usually play a guardian and after watching the zerg disapear over the hill so many times descided to muck about with my baby mesmer, a comparison.

Guardian,lvl80 geared, get caught by 3, 4 or more cant run cant hide you do a gandalf impression
You Shall Not Pass
and wonder what way point your going to rez at.

Baby Mezmer,lvl21 greens a few empty slots and out dated items. Run through a pack, blind, blink, decoy, confuse, giggle, heal run away Ok im still not fast but compared to a guardian a Mesmer is soo “cant touch this” that i dont care what speed im going.

Ulfar SOR

in Mesmer

Posted by: Wizardauz.3761

Wizardauz.3761

I usually play a guardian and after watching the zerg disapear over the hill so many times descided to muck about with my baby mesmer, a comparison.

Guardian,lvl80 geared, get caught by 3, 4 or more cant run cant hide you do a gandalf impression
You Shall Not Pass

Baby Mezmer,lvl21 greens a few empty slots and out dated items. Run through a pack, blind, blink, decoy, confuse, giggle, heal run away Ok im still not fast but compared to a guardian a Mesmer is soo “cant touch this” that i dont care what speed im going.

Ya this guy got it.

I play my guardian as a main. you have to build for a complete boon build to achieve the uptimes for swiftness that everyone is falsely saying “comes easy to the guardian”

It doesnt. Gotta equip specific weapons, traits, builds, and utilities. Takes alot of “focus” with out leaving much room for anything else. You basically HAVE to be a boon build for that, because anything else would just be kitten after spending so much in +Boon Duration.

Mesmers have got Clones, Ranged, and options for quickness, invuls (on less than 10sec CDs), and not to mention stealth. I think you’ve guys have got plenty of options besides just SWIFTNESS.

What more do you need?

Ehmry Bay – Good Fights Guild Leader
Lvl 80 Sylvari Guardian – Tzenjin [GF]
Lvl 80 Human Elementalist – Tzenkai [GF]

in Mesmer

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Runes of air and spam heal.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

What more do you need?

“Reliable swiftness,” like Jon said we should get (twice).

Or at least some +move speed usable outside combat.

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

You Shall Not Pass

Ya this guy got it.

I play my guardian as a main. you have to build for a complete boon build to achieve the uptimes for swiftness that everyone is falsely saying “comes easy to the guardian”

It doesnt. Gotta equip specific weapons, traits, builds, and utilities. Takes alot of “focus” with out leaving much room for anything else. You basically HAVE to be a boon build for that, because anything else would just be kitten after spending so much in +Boon Duration.

Mesmers have got Clones, Ranged, and options for quickness, invuls (on less than 10sec CDs), and not to mention stealth. I think you’ve guys have got plenty of options besides just SWIFTNESS.

What more do you need?

Yes, I agree guardians are the other profession who are also limited with swiftness and also have the issue of being weapon/boon depended and could do with a little balancing on that front.

The difference is however, that your weapon swiftness ( staff) is your number 3 ‘Symbol of swiftness’ that gives 8 seconds of swiftness with a 15 second cooldown. That is 7 seconds downtime for swiftness.

The mesmers ability is temporal curtain number 4 focus off-hand with 12 second swiftness with 25 second cooldown (that is if you immediately use into the void after). That’s a 13 second downtime for swiftness on temporal curtain, that is almost twice as long a downtime as that of a guardians.

Then a guardian also has ‘Retreat’ which gives swiftness for 20 seconds with 60 second cooldown. That’s a 40 second downtime on swiftness. Together with Symbol of swiftness that gives you pretty sustained swiftness overall and even if you didn’t use a staff that still gives you a pretty decent swiftness utility ability.

The only utility Mesmers have with swiftness is ‘Signet of inspiration’ which ‘Grants a random boon every ten seconds from 8 different boons.’ The random swiftness buff you get for this is 10 seconds. So you may or may not get no swiftness for a good minute or more (depending how unlucky you are with the RNG gods).

So you get less swiftness duration, less predictably than ‘Retreat’, ‘Retreat’ is simply a far superior and reliable swiftness utility.

Conclusion, both the weapon and utility swiftness abilities guardians have are superior to the mesmers.

That doesn’t mean that I feel guardians are much better off than mesmers but simply put you have better and more reliable choices.

Mesmer’s don’t have anything reliable other than the sub-par off-hand focus (Oh and I nearly forgot the very short duration swiftness boon you sometimes get from chaos storm but that’s a nr 5 skill and even less reliable than the sigil).

I have a guardian I do WvW with and I’m aware that they also suffer from some speed boost issues with some of their builds. That said they are still comparatively better off than mesmers for getting about on WvW maps.

Sure mesmers are great at being in control during a fight but what’s the point in being great in combat if your opponent runs away as soon as they sense defeat? Or if you try to get away your enemy can easily outrun you?

Or those times you are fighting to keep a tower and by the time you crawl back it’s too late to be of any help when perhaps if you had the speed everyone else had you could’ve been there to be of use?

Giving a passive speed boost while out of combat on blink like a sigil would be a great solution. You’d still not have the speed boost while in combat so other professions still have to opportunity to get some distance between them and a mesmer before they can start catching up.

As for the rune thing, that anyone thinks that is an ‘okay’ solution is beyond me. You essentially compromise your build just for a bit of swiftness that is clearly needed and should’ve been balanced enough by the game itself, it’s a bad solution when most other professions don’t need to compromise their stats for this.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Fay.2735)

in Mesmer

Lysico.4906

SO you want all our abilities AND 25% base run speed and/or perma swiftness.

Come on guys be real.

Plus I rather have my runes of centaur that help me in other ways then give up a VERY valuable slot for a passive run speed trait.

Without focus I have 99.9% uptime on swiftness with my runes of centaur. Again, without focus!

What more do you all want??

in Mesmer

Lordryux.9785

Come on guys be real.

Plus I rather have my runes of centaur that help me in other ways then give up a VERY valuable slot for a passive run speed trait.

Without focus I have 99.9% uptime on swiftness with my runes of centaur. Again, without focus!

We shouldnt have to change our runes and weapon set ups if every other class except guardian gets a buff on thier movement speed… like seriously. this is fairly unfair to the core. while we got a small freakin buff to stuff that i rather not even use as an utility because thier is always something better.

You fail to see the point in that i rather be strong when i get jumped by thiefs and warriors not kitten weak as hell walking around with a kitten focus… x.x takes away my combos for my build x.x

in Mesmer

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Come on guys be real.

All our abilities? You mean portal and the creation of clones?

Those are the only things I can recall that mes can do that no other class can replicate. Let me think on it a sec see if I can remember a few more.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in Mesmer

Lysico.4906

Ok so what you want then is just a passive 25% run buff?

Running that trait, will gimp you worse then running MH/focus or rune sets.

There would be a TON better traits to use then that.

Remember that buff is only when out of combat. To catch anyone you still need a swiftness buff and/or blink to reach them.

If you argument is to have it to get from point A to point B, slot your focus for that and you are fine.

We have options that are 100% viable.

in Mesmer

juno.1840

I disagree on the Guardian — I think they are second best. Staff 2 provides 8s swiftness on 15s c/d (untraited). That’s 53% uptime right there BUT every guardian that’s any good has points in Virtues. Assuming a minimum of 5 pts, that ups the swiftness to 9s (it seems to roll up to next highest integer in my experience), so now were at 60%. Lastly if you use 20% c/d on 2H weps (which is a great trait tbh), the recharge is now 12s making the uptime 75%. This doesn’t even include the use of “Retreat!”.

Now look at the mesmer — 12s of swiftness on a 25s c/d with an uptime of 48% (untraited). We can reduce the c/d if we take the focus skill trait but that’s a Master trait in the vitality line and it’s good only for focus (and nothing else). So using a crappy focus trait makes it 12s of swiftness on a 20s c/d for an uptime of 60%. To get boon duration we have to spend toughness trait points which is not a “must have” like the Guardian Virtues trait line.

Consider that the guardian staff has a lot of other good uses compared to the mesmer focus, and I’d say the Guardian is better than us for swiftness.

So a final comparison

Untraited: Guardian 53%, Mesmer 48%
Weapon Trait: Guardian 66%, Mesmer 60%
5pts in +boon: Guardian 75%, Mesmer 65%

Guardian ftw.

in Mesmer

Lysico.4906

Consider that the guardian staff has a lot of other good uses compared to the mesmer focus, and I’d say the Guardian is better than us for swiftness.

So a final comparison

Untraited: Guardian 53%, Mesmer 48%
Weapon Trait: Guardian 66%, Mesmer 60%
5pts in +boon: Guardian 75%, Mesmer 65%

Guardian ftw.

Well you can’t go by that, because for perma swiftness, bunch of other classes are in same boat or worse then us.

Again, what do people want? highest uptime of swiftness OR 25% passive run buff?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.1387

Advent.1387

We are definitely slow but its doesn’t really bug me all that much. Yea sure all my thief, warrior, guard, engi, and ele buddies leave me in the dust in terms of normal movement speed but I can still keep up with blink, illusionary leap, and the occasional pistol to focus switch for a temporal curtain drop.

Running away from a big fight can be a bit of a problem though when our stun breaks like mirror images, decoy, blink fail to unlock us and we do not have that super sexy 25%+ move speed but oh well it comes with the territory, we have so many cool things about us I can deal with being a lil slow as a trade off, plus since we know we are generally slower than everyone else if we get stuck behind as our zerg retreats its usually because we weren’t payin attention or over extended our selves.

—Sea Of Sorrows 4 Life—
Level 80 Sylvari Mesmer – Castiel Kyros (Main)
Level 80 Sylvari Ranger – Castiel Gaanmyr (Alt)

in Mesmer

juno.1840

@Lysico: we only have swiftness so that’s the only comparison we can make for +movement speed. When not in combat swiftness is comparable to passive movement buff because they are so close in magnitude (25% vs 33%). The guardian is in a similar boat (only swiftness) and my post was in response to previous posts about mesmer being 2nd to last (with guardian in last). My point was “no mesmer’s are really in last”.

in Mesmer

Lordryux.9785

Ok so what you want then is just a passive 25% run buff?

Running that trait, will gimp you worse then running MH/focus or rune sets.

There would be a TON better traits to use then that.

Remember that buff is only when out of combat. To catch anyone you still need a swiftness buff and/or blink to reach them.

If you argument is to have it to get from point A to point B, slot your focus for that and you are fine.

We have options that are 100% viable.

w.e u say smart guy honestly your not looking at the bigger picture here they dont need to make a new trait all they have to do is take signet of inspiration change the passive to 25% movement speed. and the active gain all boons for 5s thats it i suggested this before and many agreed as they dont run signet of inspiration at all till shattered strength got buffed but since it will most likely get nerfed again thiers not really a point to run with that signet at all when thier is so much more better utilities to take ill even take arcane thievery before i take signet of inspiration. We would have plenty of room for this because the mandatory utilities u take is mirrior images and decoy your third utility slot its totally up to ur choice. some prefer signet of domination for the stun and increase condition damage but in all im pretty sure we would all be happy with that change i mentioned to signet of inspiration.

in Mesmer

Lysico.4906

Sorry Lordyux, you want it all and not give up anything for it.. You want passive run speed, swiftness, our invis, our clones, our blink etc etc etc..

Basically you want to be op’ed , FOTM and EZmode… We are not..

Sorry man, but we are 100% fine in our mobility choices..

You want to have a run buff for no reason. You ignore all the other things we have..

Lol, you want Necro minions for their run buff?? You want rangers pet for their run buffs?

Lordryux, you are at the point of complaining to just complain… You want the old cake and eat it too.