How to feel more 'mesmerish'?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Livermx.2918

Livermx.2918

Hey folks. Just made a mesmer, he’s on lvl 20 atm.
So far I used GS/sword-scep combo but some people mentioned I should use staff so I switched GS for staff.
And now feel kinda lost – with gs/s-s I tried use gs 4, 2, switch s-s 3, 3, 2, f1.
Im not sure If it was right but now i totally dont know how to utilize the staff.
Im confused with clones/phantasms too, when to shatter them or when to not, things like that.
I have a problem with wvw, tagging and being useful is hard for me, I moved from guardian which was so easy it was boring.
So overall – im looking for rotations or something like that, how to utilize staff/ss or gs cause now i feel pretty weak.
I know the questions are pretty basic, but hope you guys can help me to enjoy mesmer.
Thanks in advance.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Yuchen.5980

Yuchen.5980

First, mesmer is not good at tagging compared to the Guardian since we don’t have much ranged AOE and we do not wanna go melee often and shatter. Mesmer is useful in zerg most because of veil and portal.
Using gs/sword focus is my favorite in zerg. GS is the best ranged weapon for tagging. gs1 will give 1 tag per hit if u go zerker. gs 2, 3 ,4 are good AOE skill. You can use gs 4, 2 and F1 to make a ranged combo. Focus 4 is interesting because it is a pull skill. Use it to pull enemy down the wall. The melee combo i suggest is sword 3 – 3 – 2 – mirror image – F1. That is the best burst combo.
Staff is great as a support and survival weapon but not good at tagging since staff 1 is slow and chaos storm’s damage is not high enough to tag. Use staff when u roam can keep u safe.

(edited by Yuchen.5980)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

The melee combo i suggest is sword 3 – 3 – 2 – mirror image – F1.

I wouldn’t suggest doing that against a zerg anymore…the retal damage will severely damage or down you during that one Blurred Frenzy.

I don’t zerg, but your best bet for tagging would be feedback. All those projectiles reflected count as yours. However, retaliation will kill you instantly (and not just down, kill), so it could be hard to get your bags after ^^

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zumi.6384

Zumi.6384

gs1 will give 1 tag per hit if u go zerker. gs 2, 3 ,4 are good AOE skill.

Not everyone knows this, and it’s not quite as effective, but the 1 skill on the Greatsword can tag multiple people. It’s a beam that pierces, which means that if you purposefully target a player who’s behind other players, you’ll hit any player that’s in the path of your laser.

Willowbreeze: Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

Staff is one of my fav weapons, as others said, its not really for tagging, but its for powerful defensive and stun breaking, escape strategies. It’s also a relatively close quarters weapon, the closer u are, the faster it bounces, adding boons to u and conditions on enemies.

Staff in a zerg environment, you’d want to help protect your allies, with chaos storm on people who might be most at risk from the backline, and they can blast finish as well and sending out phantasms to help regen backline if u have the trait, since its long ranged and stays relatively more alive.

Most of all staff is good for roaming though, and really trumping your enemies and even facing multiple players.

Essentially with staff, while it is good at producing illusions, for “real” fights, you want to keep your clones out to stack some conditions where you can. They attack with the autoattack projectiles while they don’t seem damaging, when they start stacking, alot of conditions will come up and it will do significant damage, regardless of how you’re set up etc. Of course, shatter when necessary, when it feels right to, like if you’re going to swap weapon sets, and your next few moves will replace staff clones anyway, time to shatter them