If I could show you only 2 Mesmer videos...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

(Site borked out when I tried to post this before. x_x)

It would be this one…

(Helseth in sPvP goes undefeated the entire match)

and this one…

(Pyro & Kylia breaks down what went wrong in a 5v5 Mesmer vs Guardian tourney. Lots of great info about team comps and adapting your strategy… and LMAO at Pyro’s rage. You can hear how appalled he is in his voice, and Kylia as usual proves an awesome counterbalance.)

Anyone else have videos they think all Mesmers should see to improve their game? I wanna add a video list to the guide.

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Latest Vash’s video is my favorite so far. Fast, brutal, no PU build, he made me fall in love again with greatsword and shatter.

I like all the old Seven/Osi/Flimp videos too, I can’t chose which one is the best tho.

Ouch, that mesmer vs guardian fight was painful to watch! :o Why no disenchanters/nullfields/AT?

Personally love this video from a tutorial point of view (yes it’s one of Seven’s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai5WCN2Lbag
Many similar videos out there, but the presentation here is perfect and highlights a lot of basic tactics that help with this class.

All of Seven Mirror’s videos… a little less relevant with some of the balance changes, but someone could learn to play mesmer at a decent level just from analyzing his videos and practicing how he reacts.

Mesmer Combat with commentary – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai5WCN2Lbag

Mesmer Bootcamp – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijO8B-LXlBQ

Regrettably some videos have been flagged for containing copyright content so unable to link, but those two give some good examples.

(edited by Chaos Archangel.5071)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

Thanks Chaos Archangel, great view of the good, the bad…and now all we need is the ugly hehe. Was Supcutie really in there during that second one? If so…shocking. Was fun to armchair quarterback that one nonetheless.

I’ve been giving some love to my Phantasmal Disenchanter recently which of course made me scream at my screen as they completely ignored how this could have tipped the balance…and don’t even get me started about them not using Null Field.

As a few rungs below noob in spvp this is inspiring me to want to get in there again and try my hand as a stripper (boon stripper mind you).

Thanks again Chaos Archangel.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Ouch, that mesmer vs guardian fight was painful to watch! :o Why no disenchanters/nullfields/AT?

Personally love this video from a tutorial point of view (yes it’s one of Seven’s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai5WCN2Lbag
Many similar videos out there, but the presentation here is perfect and highlights a lot of basic tactics that help with this class.

in Mesmer

Posted by: blenheim.6489

blenheim.6489

The Helseth video is just sad. While he plays magnificently it just highlights how lame the format is when not fighting the enemy, utilizing broken teleport mechanics, and abusing terrain is oftentimes more advantageous than straightforward combat. This is not to detract from the skill he displayed, but rather a commentary on why sPvP might not be as popular as ANet would like.

Gawdwyn

in Mesmer

Posted by: hints.8036

hints.8036

(Site borked out when I tried to post this before. x_x)

It would be this one…

(Helseth in sPvP goes undefeated the entire match)

and this one…

(Pyro & Kylia breaks down what went wrong in a 5v5 Mesmer vs Guardian tourney. Lots of great info about team comps and adapting your strategy… and LMAO at Pyro’s rage. You can hear how appalled he is in his voice, and Kylia as usual proves an awesome counterbalance.)

Anyone else have videos they think all Mesmers should see to improve their game? I wanna add a video list to the guide.

In the first video, he used “About Face” + Phase Retreat to move forward. Mechanically how does it work?

I tried to use the keys separately: “About Face” + “2” + “About Face” + “W” (to move forward again). This seems to be really slow and I don’t think he had to use About Face again. Or maybe he hits the 2nd About Face while Phase Retreat is in transition?

http://twitch.tv/risenfall (delayed stream)

Lvl80(Rank) – Eng(362) Necro(245) Mes(245) Thief(131) Guard(131) Ele(29)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

So the way the combo feels is:

About face+immediate phase retreat, tiny pause, about face.

You do this whole holding W

in Mesmer

hints.8036

Another thing I noticed is that he use Phase Retreat to get on the bridge. I know you can use Blink for that. Is this still viable? How do you make sure it Phase Retreat up instead of just back? Is it just a camera angle?

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Another thing I noticed is that he use Phase Retreat to get on the bridge. I know you can use Blink for that. Is this still viable? How do you make sure it Phase Retreat up instead of just back? Is it just a camera angle?

I’ve never actuall done that trick myself. Since that video was fairly recent though, I’d assume it can still be done, so just go over and muck with it, see what happens.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

As for the first video, although I am impressed by his mesmer expertise and general knowledge, he didn’t seem very helpful to his team (except for doing a great job at distracting the enemies).

in Mesmer

hints.8036

Thanks for the tip Pyro. Holding “W” the whole time made the whole thing much more continuous. However, it seems to cause you to not walk in the straight line. I suspect because you would continue to walk while your camera is still turning (video demo) and cause you to walk a bit side way.

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Thanks for the tip Pyro. Holding “W” the whole time made the whole thing much more continuous. However, it seems to cause you to not walk in the straight line. I suspect because you would continue to walk while your camera is still turning (video demo) and cause you to walk a bit side way.

Ending up a little bit sideways is, in my experience, a result of a bit of a mistiming. You should be able to get it straight with a little bit of fiddling.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

You need to have your back towards it while using Phase Retreat and you need to know exactly where to stand to make sure you go up and not back. At this particular spot, notice the little grey rocks on the ground. They are an easy mark for where to stand.

Attachments:

in Mesmer

Posted by: Asuka Shikinami.5462

Asuka Shikinami.5462

All of Seven Mirror’s videos… a little less relevant with some of the balance changes, but someone could learn to play mesmer at a decent level just from analyzing his videos and practicing how he reacts.

Mesmer Combat with commentary – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai5WCN2Lbag

Mesmer Bootcamp – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijO8B-LXlBQ

Regrettably some videos have been flagged for containing copyright content so unable to link, but those two give some good examples.

After I’m elected, bribing me will be considered a “gold sink”
- John Smith

(edited by Asuka Shikinami.5462)

in Mesmer

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Which one is pyro on the mesmer pvp vid? haha. i mean which voice is he?

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

The not aussie :p

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

The not aussie :p

He’s the ’murican ^

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

@Sticker: Pyro is the one who sounds like he’s about to go in there and 5v1 the Guardians.

The Helseth video is just sad. While he plays magnificently it just highlights how lame the format is when not fighting the enemy, utilizing broken teleport mechanics, and abusing terrain is oftentimes more advantageous than straightforward combat. This is not to detract from the skill he displayed, but rather a commentary on why sPvP might not be as popular as ANet would like.

I disagree. Memorizing blink locations and pulling them off reliably takes a lot of skill and a bit of practice. In most cases you can’t teleport anywhere you can run normally and all three teleporting classes (Ele, Thief. Mesmer) have to follow the same teleporting rules. Also, when you look at it logically, a teleport should be able to go more than just back-and-forth.

Utilizing terrain is simply smart play. In any battle, both virtual and in real life. If someone is shooting at you or targetting you, you find cover simple as that. Keep your back to a wall to avoid getting flanked, never let yourself get surrounded by multiple enemies.. All the basic combat rules should still apply

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

Latest Vash’s video is my favorite so far. Fast, brutal, no PU build, he made me fall in love again with greatsword and shatter.

I like all the old Seven/Osi/Flimp videos too, I can’t chose which one is the best tho.

VoxL, NSPPT

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

UPDATED 12/24/13

Lots of good stuff here guys, plenty of knowledge piling here so I’ma definitely link this thread to the Mesmer Guide.

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

It’s been about 6 months, so I figured we could pile some more videos into this thread for viewing pleasure. For some WvW swag…

Vashury’s GS Shatter tutorialhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3fUhFuUP-E

Alissah’s Obsidian Sanctum Combat/Story Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4OjxPGaAtU