Illusionary Leap

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Posted by: sandvich.8259

sandvich.8259

Will this skill ever be fixed?

It would be very nice if a Dev could take a look at this skill and either fix it or change it to have a function that the engine will permit.

I’m no coder and don’t claim to be but from my perspective I see blink work brilliantly with the same sort of parameters of moving player to the desired area yet Illusionary Leap chokes/hiccups and deposits the player 1cm forward. it makes no sense :/

Please Mr/Mrs developer take a look at this skill and work your magic

Thanks.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

It’s really unable to charge up or down a hill. Aswell as blink is unable to port you over different segments even if they are on the same heigh… sad yes

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Another one of these threads?

Yes it’s bugged.

Yes the devs know.

No it’s not going to be fixed any time soon because it’s a problem inherent to the pathing code in this game, and would require a massive amount of work.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Posted by: sandvich.8259

sandvich.8259

Yes it’s bugged.

Yes the devs know.

No it’s not going to be fixed any time soon because it’s a problem inherent to the pathing code in this game, and would require a massive amount of work.

Well, I guess the skill needs to be changed to one that functions if what you say is true.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

just make the clone appear next to the enemy or something lol cuz when it works, it runs like so freaking fast anyway! LOL it’s hilarious to see sometimes. I don’t think it op, it’s like the guardian blink to target sword thing and blind. also they can still see the casting animation if they wanted to dodge

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Posted by: Silas Drake.8946

Silas Drake.8946

just make the clone appear next to the enemy or something lol cuz when it works, it runs like so freaking fast anyway! LOL it’s hilarious to see sometimes. I don’t think it op, it’s like the guardian blink to target sword thing and blind. also they can still see the casting animation if they wanted to dodge

Something construction thats not blatantly negitive and dismissive? Brilliant!

Phorfiet - HoD O|O

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Posted by: Asthenea.1546

Asthenea.1546

I just wish it wouldn’t go on full cool down when it bugs or if your out of range

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Posted by: Void.4239

Void.4239

Yes it’s bugged.

Yes the devs know.

Be creative and its a easy fix.

Adjust how the skill works if the original skill doesnt go together with the games pathing design. ( thinking outside of the box )

like this:

1 ) first activation = send out a clone.( like it does now )
2) secondary activation = teleport to target and imobilize them ( put the clone on the spot you teleported from )

( They can recycle a lot of coding from thief sword )

There you go its fixed. ( Only devs need to want to do it )

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Yes it’s bugged.

Yes the devs know.

Adjust how the skill works if the original skill doesnt go together with the games pathing design. ( thinking outside of the box )

like this:

2) secondary activation = teleport to target and imobilize them ( put the clone on the spot you teleported from )

You have to be a bit more careful when planning implementation reworks.

For example, your implementation would destroy the unique potential of that skill. Currently you swap places with the clone, wherever it is. This allows you to use it as a gap closer, or a gap opener, or simply just a disorientation technique. If you simply teleported to the target you would lose much of that functionality.

There is no simple fix. If there were, it would be fixed already.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

@ pyro: Sometimes I’d really like to view the source of your information. Just to have a good base for my own opinion =)

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

@ pyro: Sometimes I’d really like to view the source of your information. Just to have a good base for my own opinion =)

Be a bit more specific, which information?

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Void.4239

Yes it’s bugged.

Yes the devs know.

like this:

For example, your implementation would destroy the unique potential of that skill. Currently you swap places with the clone, wherever it is. This allows you to use it as a gap closer, or a gap opener, or simply just a disorientation technique. If you simply teleported to the target you would lose much of that functionality.

Initially the clone is programmed to jump to the target , so your clone is gone be close to target anyway when you swap places. The only reason why the clone is not gone be near the target is when it bugs out.

Gab opener ? plz explain how your clone is not going to run to the target ? ( sword clone )
and teleporting kinda is the best gab closer there is, so cant agree on that 1 either.

And you would loos the disorientation effect only when the clone bugs out.

Only thing i agree with you is that the original illu leap cant be fixed easily, does not mean they should not look at alternatives. Like the 1 I suggested.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

Theres a “fix illusionary leap” thread every 3 months or so. In one of them, a dev stated their current engine didnt allow the clone to leap up- or downwards unstable terrain.

So, yea.

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

Like this Could you pls add a source for that? Sorry but I won’t believe information without a source that I can’t proof myself. I agree that you know a lot about our class but something like this… Sorry that I can’t just accept it. I hope you forgive me

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Yes it’s bugged.

Yes the devs know.

like this:

Initially the clone is programmed to jump to the target , so your clone is gone be close to target anyway when you swap places. The only reason why the clone is not gone be near the target is when it bugs out.

Gab opener ? plz explain how your clone is not going to run to the target ? ( sword clone )
and teleporting kinda is the best gab closer there is, so cant agree on that 1 either.

Only thing i agree with you is that the original illu leap cant be fixed easily, does not mean they should not look at alternatives. Like the 1 I suggested.

So you can skillfully use this ability to do different things as I said.

The clone initially leaps to the target (in theory). That allows you to use it as a gap closer if you swap at that point.

The target will then run away from the clone, and the clone lags in following, or the target that dodge away or use a movement skill, and the clone can’t keep up with that. At this point, you can use swap to produce a gap opening effect.

Additionally, you can simply use it to teleport behind someone once they move a little bit, or target someone behind you, use leap, target someone in front of you, use a phantasm or something, then swap and move backwards away from your current target.

None of that relies on the clone bugging out.

There is an incredible amount of variety in the tricks and uses of the skill currently that would be completely removed with your implementation. Simply because you don’t use it that way or don’t understand how it can be used doesn’t mean that more skilled players don’t see the potential in it.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

Yes it’s bugged.

Yes the devs know.

like this:

Talking about pvp, because gap opening is irrelevant in pve:

If youre actively moving in combat, the clone more often than not will have space between itself and its target, heres why:

• while attacking, the clone has to finish the whole chain and cant move during it.
  • while youre trying to create a gap, you should be running away from your target ( :o! ). The clone will run after your target, whom runs after you. Swapping will place you behind the target.
  • the status effect that allows you to swap lasts for about 6 seconds
  • you dont have to immediatally swap after leaping :/. Not instabtly swapping is key to discovering its true versatality :P

I remember an amazing swap being in Joe’s video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7_4BXll_AY4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7_4BXll_AY4

He comments: “nice juke, joe!”, with a swap +phase retreat for huge gap opener. Im currently on mobile, and its not viewable on mobile for some reason, so I cant find the right time :/. Its somewhere in the first 7 minutes, but after the 2nd minute.

edit: got ninja’d, and wow, I type way too slow on mobile :/.

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

(edited by Alissah.9281)

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

takatsu.9416

if not my initial suggestion that it just pops at the target how bout making the clone just do a warrior sword leap (real leap!) since illusions seem to always represent another class or whatever. copy the warrior skill onto the clone, cuz that skill works even on a uphill it’ll gain some air and not bug with the terrain

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Void.4239

Yes it’s bugged.

Yes the devs know.

like this:

The clone initially leaps to the target (in theory). That allows you to use it as a gap closer if you swap at that point.

The target will then run away from the clone, and the clone lags in following, or the target that dodge away or use a movement skill, and the clone can’t keep up with that. At this point, you can use swap to produce a gap opening effect.

Additionally, you can simply use it to teleport behind someone once they move a little bit, or target someone behind you, use leap, target someone in front of you, use a phantasm or something, then swap and move backwards away from your current target.

There is an incredible amount of variety in the tricks and uses of the skill currently that would be completely removed with your implementation. Simply because you don’t use it that way or don’t understand how it can be used doesn’t mean that more skilled players don’t see the potential in it.

Don’t get me wrong i’ve used it that way to ( and only when the clone bugged out ), but i also know that the immobilize would have given you the same result if the clone was closer to the target. So the immobilize would make it the gab opener for you.
It would actually make it more reliable to use as gab opener if you wanted to.
Besides the life span of a nonbugged illu leap clone in spvp/tpvp is not that high, to produce a big enough opening that the immobilize would not fix.( maybe at a 0.1 sec stun to it just incase the target is swinging his weapon )

You kinda surprised me that you didnt think about this.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Yes it’s bugged.

Yes the devs know.

like this:

Don’t get me wrong i’ve used it that way to ( and only when the clone bugged out ), but i also know that the immobilize would have given you the same result if the clone was closer to the target. So the immobilize would make it the gab opener for you.
It would actually make it more reliable to use as gab opener if you wanted to.
Besides the life span of a nonbugged illu leap clone in spvp/tpvp is not that high, to produce a big enough opening that the immobilize would not fix.( maybe at a 0.1 sec stun to it just incase the target is swinging his weapon )

You kinda surprised me that you didnt think about this.

You’re still forgetting other functionalities of the skill.

If the clone dies, you can still swap to the position that it died at. It still gives you the opportunity to do creative juking in ways that your ability wouldn’t.

Additionally, saying that an immobilize is a gap opener is just absurd. If you’re teleporting to the target, I don’t care how long the immobilize is, that’s a gap closer with no possibility of being a gap opener.

At any rate, I’m done explaining this, and Alissah did a great additional explanation as well. The fact is that your implementation is poorly thought out and would ultimately ruin many creative uses of the skill that you seem to be unable to comprehend for whatever reason. There are certainly ways to fix the skill I imagine, but most would be very difficult. If it were as easy as just copy-pasting something like the warrior leap skill, they probably would have done it already, coders love copy paste jobs, so it must be more complex than that.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

takatsu.9416

well thing is they seemed to design it as a unique skill the super fast running an pathing and all, if they just scrap this and put it on warrior leap, I think it will make it not so complicated. basically I think they chose to be unique with it and decided to code something complicated where they coulda chose something else

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

well thing is they seemed to design it as a unique skill the super fast running an pathing and all, if they just scrap this and put it on warrior leap, I think it will make it not so complicated. basically I think they chose to be unique with it and decided to code something complicated where they coulda chose something else

Ah, I realized why they didn’t do it that way. The warrior leap skill can be used to traverse terrain. You can jump from ledge to ledge or things like that using a true leap. Allowing the clone to leap like that would produce problems because teleport skills do some sort of odd pathing check to make sure you can teleport there. If you targeted something that the clone could leap to but not path to, you’d end up having problems all the time with actually swapping to the target.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

takatsu.9416

thats true hmmm lol well in open world pve there’s our super fun tele gun leaps to exploit with mwahahahaha actually were one of the few? classes that don’t hve a literal air gaining clearing gap close/distance traveler I believe? like surely it can’t pose that big of a problem? idk I mean if they just say it’s out of range or whatever if u can’t teleport there or just simply screw up the skill like trying to blink between two ledges that can’t be pathed. tho that’s some work on their end to apply that code again

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Posted by: MrAmputatoes.6031

MrAmputatoes.6031

You know, if ANet had the clone spawn on top of the target that would be extremely overpowered. It would be the number one gap closer and escape mechanism as Swap does break stuns.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Why would it be op? The clone charges anyway as fast as a direct spawn unless it bugs. The stunbreaker can be activated at anytime too. There won’t be a big difference.

Btw fun fact for multiple cribble: Ever clone created with sword3 will charge the target marked while using sword3, even old ones They jump about 1200 range xD try it against dummies in lion arch <3

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

Ah, I realized why they didn’t do it that way. The warrior leap skill can be used to traverse terrain. You can jump from ledge to ledge or things like that using a true leap. Allowing the clone to leap like that would produce problems because teleport skills do some sort of odd pathing check to make sure you can teleport there. If you targeted something that the clone could leap to but not path to, you’d end up having problems all the time with actually swapping to the target.

im sorry pyro but youre shooting his idea down with complete nonsense, we arent going to remove blink because you cant blink to the other side of a gap,

I honestly beleive the perfect fix is to make the clone leap just like savage leap on the warrior, phantasm and clones are made to mimic other classes yet this one doesnt mimic anything at all, if it leaped it would fix terrain and you should then be able to use it without having to target something, even if the clone leaps over a gap it will do this, lets say you then try to teleport to that point, whats wrong with it doing what blink currently does?? blinking you to the edge of the gap.

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

RedCobra.7693

maybe giving the mesmers the option to use it and blink without targetting would make them a tad too fast for what they are but thats my mind getting excited, maybe it could be the sollution for offering OOC speed

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

takatsu.9416

I don’t have a problem with needing to target for the clone skill either since it’s a clone skill. and if it can’t blink you there then It won’t like the blink skill and laugh at the player for being dumb lol I just think anet should be easily able to just copy the warrior leap skill onto the clones and replace that unique crazy fast run and pathing complicated stuff

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

RedCobra.7693

I don’t have a problem with needing to target for the clone skill either since it’s a clone skill. and if it can’t blink you there then It won’t like the blink skill and laugh at the player for being dumb lol I just think anet should be easily able to just copy the warrior leap skill onto the clones and replace that unique crazy fast run and pathing complicated stuff

i agree, i never understood why it was called “illusionary leap” its 100% immitating the #2 skill from warrior sword “savage leap” so why the weird animation???

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

im sorry pyro but youre shooting his idea down with complete nonsense, we arent going to remove blink because you cant blink to the other side of a gap,

I honestly beleive the perfect fix is to make the clone leap just like savage leap on the warrior, phantasm and clones are made to mimic other classes yet this one doesnt mimic anything at all, if it leaped it would fix terrain and you should then be able to use it without having to target something, even if the clone leaps over a gap it will do this, lets say you then try to teleport to that point, whats wrong with it doing what blink currently does?? blinking you to the edge of the gap.

I don’t think you understand what I meant.

The idea is to have the skill work as much as possible. Blinks function on some specific mechanics that are somehow related to pathing, and so if the clone can get to your target, you can blink to them properly.

However, if the clone does a leap like savage leap, now it’s not following pathing rules, and a large amount of the time your swap would just fizzle and not bring you to your target.

That implementation would simply be substituting a skill broken badly in one way for a skill broken badly in a different way.

Edit: Noticed your other reply. It is absolutely not imitating the savage leap skill. The clone paths to the target. This allows for the followup blink. The savage leap skill has no such limitation as it does not need to function properly with a teleport.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Posted by: shimmerless.4560

shimmerless.4560

Illusionary Leap is actually one of the game’s most exquisitely well-designed and balanced skills in my opinion.

Would that more were like it: telegraphed, avoidable and yet rewarding and malleable on the user’s end.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bumbler.7581

Bumbler.7581

I honestly beleive the perfect fix is to make the clone leap just like savage leap on the warrior, phantasm and clones are made to mimic other classes yet this one doesnt mimic anything at all

Doesn’t the skill mimic the warrior GS#5 in the way it rushes to the target? That skill can bug out just the same, I believe.

In Chancery (Jade Quarry, NA) – The Instance Mesmer
#readingLFGisOP #savethewarden
#wallsfixdungeons

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

RedCobra.7693

I don’t think you understand what I meant.

The idea is to have the skill work as much as possible. Blinks function on some specific mechanics that are somehow related to pathing, and so if the clone can get to your target, you can blink to them properly.

However, if the clone does a leap like savage leap, now it’s not following pathing rules, and a large amount of the time your swap would just fizzle and not bring you to your target.

That implementation would simply be substituting a skill broken badly in one way for a skill broken badly in a different way.

Edit: Noticed your other reply. It is absolutely not imitating the savage leap skill. The clone paths to the target. This allows for the followup blink. The savage leap skill has no such limitation as it does not need to function properly with a teleport.

hmm it seems you’ve misunderstood, i didnt mean it had replicated the skill technical wise, i meant it is in lieu of the skill savage leap as a visual placement just like izerk pays homage to the whirlwind attack #3 for the GS on warrior, i dont understand where youre getting the information that anet use pathing for the teleport, how do you know that? its obvious with the clone but not the switch, how is there a technical limitation on blinking to the clones current location and destroying the clone, give the switch the same fuctionality as the blink

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

RedCobra.7693

ahh i had a think over what you mentioned i understand what you mean by pathing for the tele yes it makes sense you wouldn’t be able to go round corners with my idea but is that really worth sticking with not being able to tele up hills for round corners, i think id prefer it working on difficult terrain tbh as i tend to use this very often to confuse enemies, like how you said it being used as a tele rather than a combo chain for blurred frenzy.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

@RedCobra: Teleport type skills have been and are tested extensively to determine where they can and can not be used. It’s proven difficult to determine any sort of hard and fast rule, but it’s generally agreed upon that teleport potential has some relation to having an adequately short walking path to the target location. Note that this is not always the case, but it’s generally a good rule of thumb.

So, what the clone pathing allows the skill to do is automatically ensure that you can successfully swap to its position. Savage leap type skills can easily get you to places that blink absolutely cannot, and so you’d end up with your swaps failing a massive amount of the time.

With regards to illusionary leap being a visual placement for savage leap, I can pretty safely say that you’re wrong. It works entirely differently, it’s a stunbreak, a teleport, it paths for very specific reasons. Clone skills don’t imitate other class skills, you’re confusing them with phantasms, which absolutely do.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

RedCobra.7693

@RedCobra: Teleport type skills have been and are tested extensively to determine where they can and can not be used. It’s proven difficult to determine any sort of hard and fast rule, but it’s generally agreed upon that teleport potential has some relation to having an adequately short walking path to the target location. Note that this is not always the case, but it’s generally a good rule of thumb.

So, what the clone pathing allows the skill to do is automatically ensure that you can successfully swap to its position. Savage leap type skills can easily get you to places that blink absolutely cannot, and so you’d end up with your swaps failing a massive amount of the time.

With regards to illusionary leap being a visual placement for savage leap, I can pretty safely say that you’re wrong. It works entirely differently, it’s a stunbreak, a teleport, it paths for very specific reasons. Clone skills don’t imitate other class skills, you’re confusing them with phantasms, which absolutely do.

blink determines path on usage then, whats wrong with determining the path just the same with leap, i cant think of many locations where the tele wouldnt work albeit you have to target an enemy, and yes i am right ill find the interview but its stated that with the mesmers skills alot of them are made to represent other classes, i warden obviously being the ranger,

im going to compare the two skills as it seems you cant see it

Illusionary leap = Savage leap
1 – they both have leap as the verb
2 – they are both sword skills
3- they are both sword #2 skill
4- both have a skill range of 600
5 – both cripple the target
6 – both are a leap finisher

i mean seriously pyro i expected better from you than to be trolled dont tell me ileap doesnt represent savage leap, but the only bit youre actually making sense on is this pathing tbh, it seems that the path is to restrict the mesmer from getting into situations where it couldnt blink to, but frankly i dont think it would fail the tele as much as it does now, the amount of times i give chase to an enemy and have my clone just spawn and stand there is ridiculous, and this occurs on a very small incline.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

RedCobra.7693

and tbh the stun break is the skill swap not illusionary leap so please dont inlcude that.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

takatsu.9416

Wait, question, for the guardian sword teleport, can they do it with a slight uphill slant? I also remember using the actual Blink skill up a slight or not so slight uphill slants, as long as its not game breaking like right over a rock or cliff face or around a corner without LoS or over a valley/gap, the blink usually still works, but in this case the clone does not and it bugs out like getting stuck and stuff even tho its just a slight uphill. I don’t think having an actual savage leap will break the game/blink, if the savage leap can make it there (savage leap with the same 600 range), then your normal blink should as well (like i mentioned, i’ve blinked up slight hills), therefore your swap skill should still teleport u there, without any issues nor will it be OP or game breaking or path breaking imo

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

RedCobra.7693

Wait, question, for the guardian sword teleport, can they do it with a slight uphill slant? I also remember using the actual Blink skill up a slight or not so slight uphill slants, as long as its not game breaking like right over a rock or cliff face or around a corner without LoS or over a valley/gap, the blink usually still works, but in this case the clone does not and it bugs out like getting stuck and stuff even tho its just a slight uphill. I don’t think having an actual savage leap will break the game/blink, if the savage leap can make it there (savage leap with the same 600 range), then your normal blink should as well (like i mentioned, i’ve blinked up slight hills), therefore your swap skill should still teleport u there, without any issues nor will it be OP or game breaking or path breaking imo

agreed but i think he means that the “leap” would get you into more situiations where the swap (which is consistantly good imo) wouldnt work as much as it currently does, which technically speaking he’s right but thats only because were changing the first face to work all the time for something that hardly works and getting our swap from working 90% of the time to working say 70%, but i think its predicted wrong, with the way the skill is used i think it would be a very pleasant change and remove alot of the clunkiness from the skill

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

@takatsu

First: Note that I understand that the clone leap portion of the skill is ridiculously bugged when it comes to slants and all sorts of thing.

Now, when I talk about teleport mechanics, I am talking general. Every teleport in the game obeys the exact same rules. What those rules are is a little fuzzy, but what I described in my other post is the best we can determine.

Now, the skill has the clone pathing instead of leaping because teleports (sorta) use a pathing based system to determine whether you can teleport there or not. That means that if your leap clone arrives at a target, you absolutely can swap to them. Now, the leap clone bugs out if it encounters a pebble in front of it, but assuming for a moment perfect leaps (and they do happen sometimes, it’s a beautiful thing to see) then you can always teleport with swap.

Now, savage leap works entirely differently. Savage leap simply flings you about 700-800 units forward. It ignores any sort of pathing, you just fly. You can use this to jump gaps, (sometimes) break game geometry, etc. If the savage leap just so happens to be across a pathable area, then a teleport would work, but you simply can’t guarantee it, and so having the clone do a savage leap would result in failed swaps a massive amount of the time.

Having the clone do a savage leap wouldn’t be op or break the game or anything, it would simply be incompatible with the mechanics of how swap works. You would be substituting a broken clone pathing for an incredibly unreliable swap. This wouldn’t be any better.

@RedCobra: Phantasm skills are based off of other classes, that’s it.

Edit: Additionally, the clone pathing can actually do things that savage leap can’t, if it works. The clone can dash up stairs, around corners, through obstacles, if it manages to path it. Savage leap can’t do that. This would actually restrict the skill even more.

(edited by Pyroatheist.9031)

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Like this Could you pls add a source for that? Sorry but I won’t believe information without a source that I can’t proof myself. I agree that you know a lot about our class but something like this… Sorry that I can’t just accept it. I hope you forgive me

And just noticed you replied with this.

Alissah did answer your question though. Months and months ago a dev actually replied to one of these threads saying basically what I said up there. It’s apparently a limitation inherent to whatever odd way they built the pathing into the engine in this game, and there were no current plans to rework it.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

RedCobra.7693

@takatsu

First: Note that I understand that the clone leap portion of the skill is ridiculously bugged when it comes to slants and all sorts of thing.

Now, when I talk about teleport mechanics, I am talking general. Every teleport in the game obeys the exact same rules. What those rules are is a little fuzzy, but what I described in my other post is the best we can determine.

Now, the skill has the clone pathing instead of leaping because teleports (sorta) use a pathing based system to determine whether you can teleport there or not. That means that if your leap clone arrives at a target, you absolutely can swap to them. Now, the leap clone bugs out if it encounters a pebble in front of it, but assuming for a moment perfect leaps (and they do happen sometimes, it’s a beautiful thing to see) then you can always teleport with swap.

Now, savage leap works entirely differently. Savage leap simply flings you about 700-800 units forward. It ignores any sort of pathing, you just fly. You can use this to jump gaps, (sometimes) break game geometry, etc. If the savage leap just so happens to be across a pathable area, then a teleport would work, but you simply can’t guarantee it, and so having the clone do a savage leap would result in failed swaps a massive amount of the time.

Having the clone do a savage leap wouldn’t be op or break the game or anything, it would simply be incompatible with the mechanics of how swap works. You would be substituting a broken clone pathing for an incredibly unreliable swap. This wouldn’t be any better.

@RedCobra: Phantasm skills are based off of other classes, that’s it.

Edit: Additionally, the clone pathing can actually do things that savage leap can’t, if it works. The clone can dash up stairs, around corners, through obstacles, if it manages to path it. Savage leap can’t do that. This would actually restrict the skill even more.

i like how you completley disregard my evidence that it is representing savage leap with 6 points xD nice touch there, are you a lawyer by any chance?

and no it wont be a “massive” amount of time, simply ‘Blink’ to the location, just like the skill, the utility blink very rarely fails it just cant get across gaps, it teleports you to the edge, first respond to that

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

RedCobra.7693

and that dev was responding to why they wanted the teleport to work 100% of the time from a succsesful leap, which yeah i agree part 2 of the skill complete, but they have screwed part 1

id rather have a 100% p1 and 80% p2 than a 50% p1 and 100% p2, this is my argument, its the clone not making it to the destination that stresses me out, at least this way it would at least cripple the enemy all the time, whats wrong with that???

(edited by RedCobra.7693)

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

takatsu.9416

No, I understand pyro what you mean and i know that the dev’s are saying the same thing but just for arguments sake. The only thing is, i can only see savage leap (and we’re reducing this to 600 range as the original skill not the full warrior leap) having issues when it crosses a gap that we wouldn’t be able to blink across. A warrior leap for example cannot clear a big rock or cliff face in front of it it would kinda push off to the side or something, that’s all fine and dandy imo. I can see how it would be an issue if there is a slight fence, i’ve savage leap’d one before, in that case, sure our blink would fail. That should be something the player would already expect though.

But at the same time, the clone skill bugs out running up a slight incline while i can blink that no problem with no pathing issues. I think the actual teleportation pathing is much more tolerant than you might think it is. The clone skill just has a huge pathing issue while the actual blink can be used in many more situations.

But i really dont undrstand why the clone can’t run up a slight incline anyway, if it is a pathing issue, then my blink wouldn’t work either right? Yet it does. I only see blink not working when there is an actual invisible wall or actual different vertical plane/elevations that are segmented/separate, rather than a gradual modification/warp in elevation.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Takatsu, not all pathing is created equal. Teleports are simply running some sort of pathing analysis. The clone actually has to walk that path, and for whatever reason, that ends up being very difficult to do properly.

The fact that you can teleport to some place has absolutely 0 bearing on whether a clone will bug out trying to get there.

Illusionary Leap

in Mesmer

RedCobra.7693

are you going to comment on whether its supposed to represent savage leap or not, you blatently tell me im wrong and when i provide evidence i get ignored, real mature,

the times when the tele to the blink location would fail would be easily visible before skill use for the player and would allow the players some control of whether it works or not and allow them to pre-emptively position themselves to make it work, where as now, i can use it on a hill and it will have no problem and then 10mins later ill use on a hill with a less steep incline and it will bug out, making it unpredictable and frustrating,

Put the control in the players hands