Imbued Diversion- where should it really go?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

So we all know this is an amazing trait but we all also know we’ll never take it. It’s also questionable as a Grandmaster trait for two reasons. One is that as a shatter based trait/skill it requires DE to truly be effective. The other is that untraited it’s on a kitten cd, and 35s cd with a full 6 in Illusions.

So where should this trait really go? Given the above options are 6 in dueling (grandmaster) or master in another trait line. But which line, or if you disagree with it being a Master, where do you think it should go?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zarathustra.1458

Zarathustra.1458

I actually think it should be innate to diversion. Diversion as it is has a kitten long cooldown, doesn’t stack well and is an absolute pain to use with the whole clones being tissue paper. So I actually think it should be innate, so it can be used with the illusionary persona.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

How awesome would a version of diversion be that only sacrefices a single illusion on a rather low cooldown to provide more frecrentl interrups? I’d really kile it to just kill the nearest illusion and have a cooldown like mind wrack.

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Caelus.7139

Caelus.7139

If warriors can swing mindlessly and cause AoE CC, idk why our Diversion shouldn’t be AoE by default especially at a kittenty 35s cooldown.

GW2 has taught me that being a Mesmer is about..
..being a cynical forecaster.
..being a doom-monger….and being a hopeless jinxer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Yeah, it should absolutely be AoE by default. Having one random shatter that’s not aoe is just odd, and it really needs that boost without burning 6 points and sacrificing an incredibly important grandmaster trait.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Sure, Pyro … but we both know that’s precisely why Diversion/ID are the way they are: it’d make sense to combine the two. Hmmm … smells just like our Glamour traits, in that regard. Consolidation on many aspects of Mesmer traits is necessary.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

AoE or move the trait to master perhaps. For me it would be enough if the clones really went on your target instead of their own targets, so it doesn’t randomly daze a flesh golem or a fire elemental (since DE clone target is the closest enemy to were you dodge).

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

in Mesmer

Posted by: DavyMcB.1603

DavyMcB.1603

Seems like an overestimated trait that has been long forgotten and was never looked at. I agree Diversion should be an AoE to begin with. Actually I was wondering why it was not an AoE ever since the first few months of game launch. lol Like, who care about a random 1 second AoE daze anyway? Not gonna break the game. Replace ID with some other trait, maybe increase target number for each F skills by another 3? That way it would still fulfil the original principle of the trait which boosts the skill AoE capability.

(edited by DavyMcB.1603)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I actually think it should be innate to diversion. Diversion as it is has a kitten long cooldown, doesn’t stack well and is an absolute pain to use with the whole clones being tissue paper. So I actually think it should be innate, so it can be used with the illusionary persona.

Come to think of it, I’d love to see a rebalance on shatter as a whole.
It’s our class mechanic. Even in a Phantasm-spec, it should be desirable and useful. All four of them. how to specifically rebalance for that I got no clue, though.

Ofc, ultimately I’d prefer clone/phantasm generation to be our class-bar, and shatter to be weapon/utility skills. But anyhow…

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

I was really surprised when they made power lock AoE. With that precedent it makes perfect sense to either make Imbued Diversion easier to acquire trait-wise or provide it by default. In the latter case, it’d be nice to have it replaced with another viable GM (not holding breath).

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

Yeah, it should absolutely be AoE by default. Having one random shatter that’s not aoe is just odd, and it really needs that boost without burning 6 points and sacrificing an incredibly important grandmaster trait.

I’d love that…

Let’s make Imbued Diversion as nasty as Sleight of Hand. Make it reduce the cooldown of Diversion by 20% and additionally cause Slow for 2s. Voila! Perfect lockdown trait.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Agreed – remove/replace the trait and make it standard.

MW and CoF are aoe – makes no sense that diversion should be single target unless traited. Give it a target cap of 3 or something.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Warlord of Chaos.7845

Warlord of Chaos.7845

I remember one year ago when I asked people if imbued should be standard and the only answer I got was “No, it would be OP”. Its interesting to see how that opinion has changed over one year. It seems everyone wants diversion to be aoe now (I would love it personally).

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

I remember one year ago when I asked people if imbued should be standard and the only answer I got was “No, it would be OP”. Its interesting to see how that opinion has changed over one year. It seems everyone wants diversion to be aoe now (I would love it personally).

I’m just going to throw it out there and say it has everything to do with who’s asking :p

in Mesmer

Zarathustra.1458

We could collectively be getting passed the “we better not have a new dress or he might beat me stage” and into the, “he better start shaping up or I will shoot him in the head with this shotgun stage” of our abusive marriage with anet…I mean surely something has just gotta give, and I want a pretty new dress kitten! :P

in Mesmer

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

I think a cunning way for them to get us to use different GM Shatter traits would be for Illusionary Persona to grant ALL Shatter effects for the Mesmer, Imbued Diversion to grant IP’s effect for Diversion along with the AoE Rupt (and similarly for others – for example Mindwrack triggers on Mesmer for Shatter = Healing and CoF triggers on Mesmer for Shatter Conditions).

We just will never choose to lose that control and choice IP gives us otherwise.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

I do think imbued diversion in it’s current state (Wider diversion radius) would be leaning towards OP, but making it baseline with the range of normal shatters actually does seem reasonable.

.. o_O To be honest, I can’t remember my reasons as to why I felt it would be OP before. Different meta, I guess. Or could be that I said we’d get drowned in a flood of QQ tears and end up overnerfed.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

I do think imbued diversion in it’s current state (Wider diversion radius) would be leaning towards OP, but making it baseline with the range of normal shatters actually does seem reasonable.

.. o_O To be honest, I can’t remember my reasons as to why I felt it would be OP before. Different meta, I guess. Or could be that I said we’d get drowned in a flood of QQ tears and end up overnerfed.

We’re Mesmer players, Chaos (and Chaos)… we struggle with a certain degree of Stockholm Syndrome. With that said, I’d not be against making Diversion small-scale AoE. At that point, one could use Imbued D. to make said AoE larger.

Honestly, the biggest problem with ID (and MtD!) is the fact that Illusionary Persona is a total “bro” of a trait. Don’t get me wrong, I do like the idea of traits
having to compete with one another, … it’s just that that concept seems to only really work in Illusions (and Dueling to a lesser extent). I’d frigging love it if all trait lines were set up in a similar fashion.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

I’d say it’s rather simple. Three clones could potentially result in 15 interrupts if we assume a standard target limit and a 3s daze for a single individual target. I’d love having Diversion being an area effect by default. But don’t think it’s realistic since it is too powerful.

I see the main issue with Imbued Diversion. Due to the relatively high cooldown on Diversion the benefit of having an area Daze – even though it is pretty potent – doesn’t make up for neither the damage loss nor the self-shatter from not taking IP.

On the other hand, untraited Diversion could easily cause an area Slow and single target Daze by default. Imbued Diversion could make the Daze an area effect and reduce the cooldown to let us actually focus on a CC centered shatter playstyle. I think that would be a reasonable change.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Warlord of Chaos.7845

Warlord of Chaos.7845

First, I do agree having a 360 radius aoe diversion would be a little strong. I would be happy with 240 range, as you have said.

Also, We made this similar thread at the end of the dumbfire meta and near the beginning of the hambow meta. I honestly didn’t get the reason why an aoe diversion was OP when a warrior could do a aoe 2 sec stun from 600 range on a 7 sec cd lol.

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

I think if we must move this trait it should be placed as a chaos Minor.

As it stands currently it’s not worth a master or Grand master status and it wouldn’t compete with any of the current choices in any of those areas in any of the trait lines.

Minor is a good home for this GM and makes it a bit more appealing for Interrupt builds or other things when there is very little investment to pick up the AoE and it doesnt effect the greater aspects of a build that need to be taken.

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

in Mesmer

Zarathustra.1458

Something does need to happen with the trait. I personally would love to be able to dake it with Illusionary persona to use as an aoe interrupt, but that could just be me

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

More like because MoD was made AoE standard, it makes sense for Diversion to follow suit.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

It should be innate.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Menaka.5092

Menaka.5092

Make it the default so we can remove 4 stacks of stability AoE with IP + 3 clones shatter \o/

(I think that would be a bit OP in sPVP – wouldn’t really apply in WvW where our clones last a second at best)