Is focus plus runes of speed enough?

in Mesmer

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

After the mesmerized podcast, I feel like I really need to learn to use the focus well (nothing like hearing from experts that it has the best skill in the game to make me give it another shot…)

So I’m considering a build with the Warden’s Feedback trait which reduces recharge on the focus to 20 seconds. With two runes of speed, the 12 seconds of quickness should be about 14.5 seconds. So that gives almost 75% quickness uptime for getting around in WvW. Is it enough? This would let me drop my runes of centaur and pick up four runes of divinity – after I save my gold for a bit.

For reference, the build I’m experimenting with is 20/20/0/25/5. It’s mostly a phantasm build where I’m trying to get iBerserker and iWarden up really frequently, so they will do a lot of damage but can be shattered frequently. Currently I have basically all berserker gear for this build. The build does have blink, so I get a bit more mobility if that makes a huge difference.

Here’s a link to the build – thx for all the pointers!

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgQQNAR8NlwzKqHVTmmE5MDmb5QLgkCVL1KpA3uQA;TgAqaMMJYyWjrGZNDC2EA

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hexxen.7216

Hexxen.7216

Don’t worry about your swiftness so much. The reduced cool down on curtain is enough to make you not terribly slow. Use your runes to boost your fighting. And though swiftness is nice when evading people and letting your phantasms do the work those 2.5 seconds are not worth a wasted 2 rune slots.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Richard Nixon.6573

Richard Nixon.6573

What constitutes as “enough” for you? Keeping up with the zerg ball? Getting across the map? It’s a bit of a broad topic.

From my experience, you shouldn’t have a problem moving around with the zerg ball. Other classes give area swiftness which should more than supplement your own. With the occasional blink, you won’t have any problem staying in the front, even without the runes of speed.

Now for getting from point A to point B in either a small group or solo, you’re still going to feel a bit sluggish, but you can slot Sig of Inspiration on while moving. The runes of speed will help tremendously here, and if you add in the boon duration food, you should almost have perma swiftness (just remember that you wouldn’t have your optimal set up if you get jumped!)

Edit: Going along with what Hexxen said, if it concerns you that much, you’d be better off just switching in the 2 speed runes when you’re going long distances without a zerg to buff you. Otherwise, you’ll be completely fine and won’t really require it.

-1-800-GUILD-WAR? They can’t have my ’Brand… I have special eyes.
-Look, look with your special eyes!
-My Dragonbrand!

(edited by Richard Nixon.6573)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

You can also go Runes of Air or Runes of the Centaur. I used to use Air but switched to Centaur for more uptime on swiftness.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

I use 2x monk, 2x water, and you can have 2x speed (I use 2x strength) for boon duration, I dont have focus trait, do have blink trait.