Is there a way to beat Warrior?

in Mesmer

Posted by: ShakeyStorm.7180

ShakeyStorm.7180

Warriors seems OP in terms of damage and defense.

Constructively asking, are there ways us Mesmers can neutralize their overwhelming advantages?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

Try the BlackWater build with staff and Sigil of Doom. You won’t catch him when he runs away, but he will run away.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in Mesmer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Try the BlackWater build with staff and Sigil of Doom. You won’t catch him when he runs away, but he will run away.

At least in PvP I have found a lock down build with nullfield pretty good at shutting down warriors….

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Biggusbiggus.5789

Biggusbiggus.5789

I don’t consider someone beaten, unless he’s dead. Warriors and Guards have been running from me since I started in WvW. Most unsatisfying. They brush off crippling easily, tons of stability – even when traited to immobilize, you can’t land an interrupt.
Any thoughts on actually killing them? I’ve managed to bait a few into thinking that I’m on the ropes, so they push forward when they ought to be running.

in Mesmer

Posted by: kylwilson.9137

kylwilson.9137

Depends, what format is this in specifically? If it’s WvW, you won’t get a kill, or you’re unlikely to in any reasonable amount of time.

\o/

in Mesmer

ShakeyStorm.7180

I often see two kinds. GS+S/S which runs away often (no problem there) and those with Hammers who don’t. Those stuns and knock downs triggers so often.

WvW most of the time.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

I just started PvP and I feel the same. I had a 5 min fight with a warrior until he wrote “broing” and left the combat. We couldn’t kill each other, but I don’t think its fun or a victory if you can’t kill as a mesmer and should be happy if they run away … that’s not the point of PvP … neither WvW…

So trait blink?

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Simple answer: Yes.

I’ve had a hell of a long day, so I’m going to let Nero explain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Io0OQ2zPS4

in Mesmer

ShakeyStorm.7180

Wish there is a way to teleport them back the moment they run away. Like that Necro skill. Besides, disorientation is one of Mesmer’s tools right?

Back to reality, PvP is fine since there is so little room to run. If they run away from a capture point I will be happy to take it back. In WvW… that’s another story.

in Mesmer

kylwilson.9137

Wish there is a way to teleport them back the moment they run away. Like that Necro skill. Besides, disorientation is one of Mesmer’s tools right?

Back to reality, PvP is fine since there is so little room to run. If they run away from a capture point I will be happy to take it back. In WvW… that’s another story.

A temporal curtain type skill, in which when they cross it, they get blinked back to your position, would be fantastic.

Back to the topic, if it’s sPvP, as funny as it sounds, I’d definitely lean more towards a power based build with access to boon removal. Most warriors are set up for massive condition removal, and I-Zerker and even I-Mage (I know right?) can put a surprisingly nice dent in their health pool.

\o/

(edited by kylwilson.9137)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

I eat warriors alive in WvW when they are not running away in terror of my overpoweredness, in sPvP, I don’t think its worth playing a Mesmer over other classes but I still haven’t lost to a warrior that I can recall.

in Mesmer

ShakeyStorm.7180

A temporal curtain type skill, in which when they cross it, they get blinked back to your position, would be fantastic.

Back to the topic, if it’s sPvP, as funny as it sounds, I’d definitely lean more towards a power based build with access to boon removal. Most warriors are set up for massive condition removal, and I-Zerker and even I-Mage (I know right?) can put a surprisingly nice dent in their health pool.

Temporal curtain for zergs… not bad. Can mess up a zerg train to find themselves outside the wall again.

I was thinking in the line of “tagging” a player. Run into the fort? Out you go at a button’s press.

in Mesmer

kylwilson.9137

Temporal curtain for zergs… not bad. Can mess up a zerg train to find themselves outside the wall again.

I was thinking in the line of “tagging” a player. Run into the fort? Out you go at a button’s press.

Place the curtain in front of a door and have any enemy entering or exiting the fort via the door instantly teleported into the middle of a zerg. Equally as beautiful.

\o/

in Mesmer

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

Warriors seems OP in terms of damage and defense.

Constructively asking, are there ways us Mesmers can neutralize their overwhelming advantages?

My way of dealing with that:
I go (almost) full Zerker with greatsword (and if you are good at chasing stuff with phase retreat, then get also staff^^). Then I use a high DPS-Phantasm build. There are plenty arround, I made my own. With this setup, you can take them down, even if they are running. But it is hard and you have to bait them to stay longe enough in the fight.

That play sytle is dangerous, but gives a very rewarding feeling, once succeeded. My strategy is the following. I fight the Warrior in a half hearted manner. Meaning that he hits me quite often (be sure to have blink or smth like that rdy to avoid the heavy hitting of 100 Blades or so). I barely shatter, to keep the phantasm allive and I avoid active healing (some healing comes from regeneration). This is the dangerous part. As the warriors live starts to go criticly low, the only reason for him to stay, is my own low life.

Here I set up for the final assault, usind MI as an attempt to set up my attack (and hopeflly apearing to want to flee). It depends on the situation, but Nullfield+F3 offers a good start for the following assault. I then throw everything I have, burn every CC my weapons offer and via weaponswap throw out 2 phantasm + F1 shatter once thea have attacked.

I am honest, I often die myself through that method, but on good days I have beaten 2 GS warriors in their own (not upgraded) camp at it felt awesome

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

in Mesmer

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

Really depends on the type of warrior they played. For example if they play hambow warrior your phantasms can hardly survive to launch their second wave of attacks.

in Mesmer

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

This applies to WvW. I play a build based on Osicat’s Hidden Cat 4, although slightly less tanky. My weapons of choice with Warrior encounters are GS and Scepter/Torch. GS isn’t great in the beginning of the fight because it’s hard to maintain a distance from him, however it is crucial for me if I am going to finish him. The great majority of fights follow this pattern: I open with GS from a distance while he’s running towards me winding up his skills for that one-shot kill they always seem to think is going to happen. Pretty much as soon as he’s within faceslam range I swap to Sc/T and use Prestige and dodge out of the way of his attacks. Next, it’s Sc #3 and once he charges towards me again, #2 and usually Decoy. Usually what happens is that although my initial GS attacks have barely scratched his health, once I apply Confusing Images, he softens up very rapidly, and I don’t even have a single piece of Condition Damage gear on me. I Blink away, attack with GS, and send another iZerker at him. Now he’s actually taking damage. Fairly soon his health is in the 30% range, at which point he invariably runs. As per Hidden Cat I’ve traited for both Blink distance and cd. Those along with the nice long rapid reach of the GS and the direct damage focus of the build usually down him as I chase him. However you do need to try and burst him down quickly, as the longer the chase the less likely is the kill.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

in Mesmer

Posted by: Blades of Sabatine.5639

Blades of Sabatine.5639

Warriors can be tough but you also have to take into consideration so many factors. Examples,

• Build type, yours and there’s
• Skill level, yours and there’s
• Game type (PVP or WVW)
• Who gots the first jump etc.

From PVP point of view, Lockdown has always worked well for me.

If I get the jump, 85% time they go down, if they get the jump it up in the air. I also tend to run with feedback which when used / timed right is what give me the edge over them. Either stops them from attacking me cause of the reflect element while I do damage or it reflects all their damage back to them while still doing damage to them.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mek.2947

Mek.2947

In WvW I’ve managed to beat a few warriors that ran away. I had to chase them across the map to do it. I only kept pace with them because I had reduced recharge on manipulations and increased range on manipulations traits. In addition I have traveler’s runes and GS equipped and sword equipped. Basically Blinked on cooldown, kept zerker phantasm on them and just wore them down and prayed that no one else jumped in.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

A phantasm speced mesmer is the premier 1v1 class. If you have trouble beating anyone 1v1 its a l2p issue and not a class issue.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mek.2947

Mek.2947

A phantasm speced mesmer is the premier 1v1 class. If you have trouble beating anyone 1v1 its a l2p issue and not a class issue.

This was such a constructive, helpful post that helped further the discussion. Thank you for that. Let us know if you have any other pointers to share.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

This was such a constructive, helpful post that helped further the discussion. Thank you for that. Let us know if you have any other pointers to share.

Don’t respond to trolls, there’s a pointer for you Timmy.

-and the OP didn’t give us any information at all, as far as we know he is using lvl 40 weapons and PvT gear with no traits, and only using 1 skill all while being an amputee. Unconstructive OP’s don’t deserve constructive replies.

(edited by Zepidel.5349)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jurica.1742

Jurica.1742

I myself use Oscicats CondiCat 3.0 build with a few variations that Pyroatheist recommended me. It is basically a blackwater build. Here it is:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vgAQNAW7flknpRt1qxMNcrNiY6RwhcAHJFl2rVShtdhA-z0BBINCy0Cw0HBKHqIasl1FRjVXDTHjIqmUAwsGA-w

I’m using Ether Feast instead of the Signet, and I choose the Illusionary Disenchanter for condi clearing and boon stripping. Though, if I’m up against more than 2-3 people, I’ll take portal for some troll or escape mechanisms, the disenchanter will die too quick in that situation. You can also take Veil, but it’s better with the s/p variation and it has a LOONG cooldown

Staff is a great defensive weapon, saved my kitten so many times. You can run the pistol/sword combo (in oscicats sticky) which does a bit more power damage and has two CCs (Immo + stun/daze) which can really be helpful but you’re sacrificing a lot of survivability here. I did for a while and I got more kills but I got killed much more as well.

Against warriors, your friend is stealth, dodge (the double Sigil of Energy is a must in every build for me from now on. I love the dodges I can get, so much better to play that way) and aegis. Don’t use stealth until you need it, dodge most their CC attempts, and just keep all your clones up, you NEVER shatter unless you get too much CC on you and you need to bail (distortion).

I said most because blocking with scepter to apply torment is better than dodging if you can do that.
Confusion is great if you have perplexity runes (they’re only going to get better as they’re broken atm)

Another thing I do, is I have two torches, one with the corruption sigil and one with a sigil of bursting. What I’ll do is find some mobs in WvW (Wolves are the best for this) and just kill them slowly until I get 25 stacks then equip the torch with the Bursting sigil. It is expensive but it really ups your damage.

I used to just run around without charging my sigils or swapping for the Bursting torch but man.. After trying it once I’m never again going to fight without all that done. Sucks that you have to re-do it after you die (kitten zergs!!) but it helps a lot.

Basically, dodge, kite, block, stealth only when you need to, NEVER shatter unless you REALLY need distortion to save your kitten , have all your clones up at all times, camp inside chaos storm. That makes warriors super simple to beat. This all can also be applied to fighting thieves. If you tag a thief with torment, he’s history. I now don’t struggle with ANY class other than necro (I fail to evade the condition transfer which kills me, ALWAYS check if they have Signet of Spite on them and try to dodge it). As you said, if warriors choose to disengage, they will, try applying torment before they run. It is easier said than done but if you can pull that off, you have a better chance of getting the kill. If you need any more information, feel free to PM me. Have a wonderful day, happy gaming!

Pineapples rule

(edited by Jurica.1742)

in Mesmer

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

All my comments are only about WvW. For me, fighting a warrior has two phases.

The first phase is about generating enough damage and avoiding the big hits. I’m using a phantasm build, so my goal is to distribute my phantasms (duelists, berserkers and disenchanters) so that it’s hard for the warrior to kill them all with AOE. I’m also using dodge, blink, and stealth (decoy and mass invis) to keep distance. If I see a chance for interrupt with illusionary wave or magic bullet, I’ll use it. With some practice, you learn the tells of the big attacks and you can hopefully avoid them. Eventually, you’ll get to the second phase.

In the second phase, nearly every warrior that I meet in WvW decides to run. Ideally, you manage to create enough burst that they decide too late. If they have enough health, I can’t stop them from getting away. To chase, I’m wearing Travelers Runes and using blink. The cripple from the zerker can help though they will often clear. So I have the signet of ether, and that let’s me cast a zerker, use the heal, and cast another zerker. Magic bullet can be helpful for the stun as well. But if they have enough health, they will just keep running – and I can’t catch them.