Ladies and Gentlemen: The Chronomancer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

Yes, you can definitely assume all of that … and answer something else than what you quoted …

There are other stuns that still hurt in the game. I’m not expecting it to eviscerate people, but it could be non-negligible damage.

I don’t see what it’s lack of stealth has to do with the quote where I stated how it could summon an illusion. That was aimed at Shatters, not PU. You neglected to touch on the sped up cooldowns which could be immensely helpful in a shatter build since it could enable you to summon illusions more often … even synergizing with some of our other traits that do the same.

Yes, you do have to give up something … that is how the specialization system works. No one has said anything counter to that. It doesn’t detract from the fact that Chronomancer does appear to have good potential in shatter build. Perhaps ArenaNet didn’t want Mesmers to fall into the rut where only 3 specializations (A,B,C) are for shatter builds (X,Y,Z) are for phantasm builds, and so on … more than one possible combination of specializations for a perfectly viable shatter build isn’t a stretch. You are correct that it might not be worth it once we get the rest of the information … but we need the rest of the information … till then, I don’t see how anyone can have the opinion that it’s not good for shatters when several of the abilities shown appear to synergize well with shatters.

I don’t see how you can say how likely it is that the Phantasm will/won’t hit several times. We know zero about it. You could stretch and say that most of our phantasms don’t. You could also stretch and say that the new wells do so why wouldn’t the phantasm.

As I said, I think you are making quite a leap as you already believe it won’t be any good in any non-interrupt spec.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

I don’t see what it’s lack of stealth has to do with the quote where I stated how it could summon an illusion. That was aimed at Shatters, not PU.

He said this because stealth on torch adds ALOT of survivability and the ability to set up shatters better than any other weapon set. This is why Double ranged and GS/Sword/Torch are the top notch weapon sets for shatter currently.

You neglected to touch on the sped up cooldowns which could be immensely helpful in a shatter build since it could enable you to summon illusions more often … even synergizing with some of our other traits that do the same.

You do have a point here, but we’ll have to wait and see. There will be a TON more variety when it comes to shatter builds and the weapons you can take. While I’m not sure shield will add to this, we can’t say 100% either way. The shield is definitely made for interrupt builds and hybrids.

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

i think it is too soon to say where this set will be used

well proc aoe burst and the other gives your team defense and offense abilities. so in wvw should be use and with nice tactics in coordinated team maybe even in tpvp

dont forget that power shatter get huge buff like other power classes thus the power shatter must bring something unique (portal so far) thus the f5 ability and shield can be used in some ways i can imagine

with condi build it can be tricky as it mainly slow down so can serve as defense weapon and maybe using MI twice with F5 with mtd build

we will have to w8 till 2moro to see more traits and skills

but overall great ideas anet and guys (dont give them more as they can nerf it)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

I really like the preview and I think it is save to assume that Chronomancers will contribute to Mesmers being more vialuable in PvE and WvW due to the area effects. Reducing cooldowns will also be very interesting for PvE. Not sure how applicable the new skills and traits will be for PvP but I could imagine Continuum Shift and Wells helping Mesmers bunker on points.

That aside, I’m somewhat bothered by the fact that the Wells probably could have been incorporated into Glamours. This means both, Glamours not seeing significant improvments plus Mesmers not gaining anything too new. It feels like the new utilities had to be Wells due to conceptual reasons which resulted in Glamours being diminished instead of seeing a well deserved rework. I do like the new stuff, don’t get me wrong. But it comes with a huge load of salt.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Korusef.3714

Korusef.3714

Depending on the implementation (no target limit, reasonable recharge time), Shield could be useful for PvE new boss battles.
It seems quickness will be important for those.

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

Heck, at its simplest … Quickness = more dps. When does PvE not want more dps?

Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

There are still a lot of question marks from myself about the abilities. Especially reading about some of them are going to have lengthy cooldowns.

Tides of Time is a nice design but there’s way too much unknown about it – how fast will it move? How noticeable is it? How high is the tide(or tides)?

The portal ability and reset back to the start of your health is going to be amazing. So far they seem to be on the right path with Mesmer Chronomancer but I need more information.

And I really need to see what other classes get from a specialization.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mikkel.8427

Mikkel.8427

Ok… well, everything looks very cool and interesting, but I’m hoping the addition of F5 isn’t the ‘something just as good’ they promised for professions getting only an offhand. I’ll hold off on any criticism till tomorrow, i need to see more specifics.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

I can imagine some great condition interrupt builds with Mistrust and Tides of Time.

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Weyrd.2794

Weyrd.2794

and continuum sounds great if you’re having trouble with jumping puzzle use it, jump, fail, use it again and you’re back where you started

The changes sound amazing for wvw and pvp, but with the lack of phantasms, on x/shield setup, which are a major part of mesmer’s pve damage, I wonder if the wells and shield skills pack enough punch to compensate. Otherwise I dont see myself running Shield outside pvp or wvw.

But… But… Wouldnt you go back to before the jump, even if you succeeded?

When you use Continuum Split, you’ll sacrifice all your illusions and will split yourself off from the normal flow of time, based on the number of illusions you shattered. When this duration is over, or when the mesmer activates the follow-up skill Continuum Shift, they’ll revert back to the location where the skill was first activated.

Yep.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Weyrd.2794

Weyrd.2794

The continuum shift ability will be fun with Mantras. Charge the Mantra, later use continuum shift, burn the mantras, second activation of continuum shift, burn the mantras again!

…I need to work on leveling my mesmer more

Also it looked like in the video there is a well that pulls enemies toward the center with each tick and then at expiration causes damage. Anyone else get that impression?

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

Ok… well, everything looks very cool and interesting, but I’m hoping the addition of F5 isn’t the ‘something just as good’ they promised for professions getting only an offhand. I’ll hold off on any criticism till tomorrow, i need to see more specifics.

Well to be honest, it is just as good considering we are able to do some very interesting things with this skill. It opens A LOT of different skill combinations for us.

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

Old school mezzing.
Fast Casting and Lockdown builds viable.
Curious…
Continuum Split-> Blink->Tides of Time, movement-> Continuum Shift -> Repeat

So many delicious new was to cause mayhem.

You forgot double-Portal action so you can still take your old position back once Continuum Shift ends (the only real potential drawback to abusing).

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

Pick 2 weapon CCs
Pistol / Shield / Focus / OH Sword / Greatsword
Throw in Mantra of Distraction, Signet of Domination, and/or Diversion

F5 … Repeat

Make players feel like they couldn’t do a thing during the fight … and smile :-)

Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kurr.4179

Kurr.4179

I’m so glad I chose mesmer as my main light armor profession.

This sounds like so much fun.

I used to love mesmer in GW1 but found it a bit boring by comparison in GW2. This will just be so great for me to play. A lot to do and keep track of, can’t wait.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kelthien.8593

Kelthien.8593

I can imagine some great condition interrupt builds with Mistrust and Tides of Time.

Exactly what I was thinking. A big wide area stun gives a ton of potential for Mistrust ticks. Mistrust feels wonderfully powerful already (chaos storm and our mantra come to mind).

Depending on the lengths, I think we’re going to have a really high skill cap with some of our combinations.

For example, consider Confusing Images, our notorious Scepter 3 skill.

If you’re not under Quickness, then it might take too long to channel for a Continuum→Confusing Images→Continuum to reset the cast time (Continuum may ‘shift time’ while you’re still channeling, causing the cooldown to start AFTER you finish channeling and AFTER continuum ends). But, if you catch yourself with Tides of Time (Gaining quickness), then quickly hit Continuum and start channeling Confusing Images, the reduced cast time of Confusing might be enough to let it finish inside the Continuum bubble, gaining you an extra full channel of a relatively powerful spell.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Pick 2 weapon CCs
Pistol / Shield / Focus / OH Sword / Greatsword
Throw in Mantra of Distraction, Signet of Domination, and/or Diversion

F5 … Repeat

Make players feel like they couldn’t do a thing during the fight … and smile :-)

I suggest to start with F5

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: LunarNacht.8913

LunarNacht.8913

Hey guys. Did you already inform your servants about our new title as Gods of Time?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

Well we’ve all figured out some in-theory-awesome things now…
Let’s not be awesome but trololing

With quite a good play we could finally claim the “lol i tricked you throne”.

• I’m totally in for the “24k-hp-and-a-second-healthbar-mesmer” which could maybe be a bunker in pvp(?)
  • stuff like [F5 → burning all important cds → F5] could also be a thing many players will rage about
  • a mesmer with F5 → blink(west) → let them follow → F5 → F5 → blink(east) should be uncatchable for single players. this would be even cooler with a portal
  • 100% PU + F5 → mass invis → F5 → SoIllusions → F5 → mass invis → F5 → mass invis 30s stealth?!
  • since it does not revert conditions/boons i’d also love it in pair with arcane thievery to laugh at any condi spec
Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Condition interrupt should be a lot of fun with the elite spec.

Going to try Duelling/Chaos/Chronomancer (for CI and staff trait), and Duelling/Inspiration/Chronomancer (latter to trait focus) and see how they both work out as condition interrupt.

in Mesmer

Posted by: hardloop von edgehoven.8512

hardloop von edgehoven.8512

They gave mesmers WoW mage abilitys, should be fun.

You know what happened to mages since WoD? Or all other HARDcasters in pvp?^^

in Mesmer

Posted by: Menaka.5092

Menaka.5092

Four shots of MoPain?

even 6 if you go dueling…

in Mesmer

Menaka.5092

I’d also like to point out the additional reflect we get. Now we have Focus and Shield giving reflection.

Additionally, that’s another potential reflect in PvP/WvW that Greatsword Mesmers can just smile at while they use their lasers :-p

Absorb, not reflect. However…it does sound like a potentially high-target stun. That has obvious implications.

Not sure if you meant what I was thinking but if this works the way I think it will, mobile static field/line of warding has no target limit. Double halting strike on an entire zerg

You guys are playing in heaven or something?
Because zergs have tons of stability where I play :°)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

I’d also like to point out the additional reflect we get. Now we have Focus and Shield giving reflection.

Additionally, that’s another potential reflect in PvP/WvW that Greatsword Mesmers can just smile at while they use their lasers :-p

Absorb, not reflect. However…it does sound like a potentially high-target stun. That has obvious implications.

Not sure if you meant what I was thinking but if this works the way I think it will, mobile static field/line of warding has no target limit. Double halting strike on an entire zerg

Yeah, but stability can be stripped through excessive CC now, along with the fact that mes comes preloaded with lots of lovely boon strips.

in Mesmer

Menaka.5092

Not meaning to be negative or anything, but if Chronomancer spec seems this powerful, do you guys think it’ll be a battle of super OPness when the other specs get announced too?

Nothing is final, numbers and details might change. Maybe even bigger stuff, they said they were evaluating and discussing IP being baseline.

That said, yes, I think all the elite specs will be “OP”.

But you should consider what you are giving up, too: by speccing in the new traitline you give up one of the old ones. Gain some new tricks, lose some others.

in Mesmer

Menaka.5092

Yeah, but stability can be stripped through excessive CC now, along with the fact that mes comes preloaded with lots of lovely boon strips.

I’m not saying this doesn’t have the potential to be very strong, especially if played together with the well that makes everything unblockable, but playing WvW every day I realize how unlikely it is to get even 2 halting strikes off from one of our multi-target CCs.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

Going to try Duelling/Chaos/Chronomancer (for CI and staff trait), and Duelling/Inspiration/Chronomancer (latter to trait focus) and see how they both work out as condition interrupt.

I really can’t decide which traitline I’d drop for Chronomancer. Quite obviously it will differ wether I’m going power or condi. But most of the time you will want some form of reliable boon removal when going interrupt. This either means being stuck with Domination or having to slot Nullfield (or even AT). First would mean forgoing either Duelling or Chaos. The latter would mean giving up a utility slot which you might need for a Well or Stunbreak.

I’m somewhat glad that it seems we will finally have to make meaningful decisions. But at the same time it is annoying as hell.

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

Lol, Xaylin. I feel ya. I like options, but I do always look back after my decision and wonder … what if I made that other decision instead.

It’s a good thing swapping specializations is going to be free and easy.

I’m excited that this looks like there will be more than just power-shatter and condition shatter … be different types of each … and hybrid I imagine.

I feel like:

• Alacrity (reduced cooldowns) feeds into more illusions
  • More illusions feeds into more shattering
  • More shattering feeds into alacrity

I think it’s a nice cycle that could end up being very fun.

I recall we’ve several times on this forum gone over the max rate of illusion generation a Mesmer can get … this should hopefully increase that.

Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Flow.2947

Flow.2947

wow will be awsome need to test that out i am pretty sure F5 will have a CD of 63,75 s that would fit into the upcoming. 15% base cd. the stund would also fit into the interrupt line and if its condi or burst dmg.

i hope its not that high Cd based i want to be skillfull and keep using my utility skills!!

i was keep farming in sw to get the beatha thing i hope i can test that finnally got it

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

I’m thinking the shield may be rather useful in all gamemodes assuming Echo of Memory allows you to grant Alacrity to allies. I’ve had some ideas to what Echo of Memory may do.

• Block all incoming attacks for ~3s, reduce cooldowns by a % per hit. (Either personal or AoE)
  • Block the next attack, create a Phantasm that mimics the blocked attack.
  • Gain 2s Quickness and/or inflict 2s Slow on block

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

• Block the next attack, create a Phantasm that mimics the blocked attack.

We would have to have a thread dedicated to links to videos of this.

Warrior Burst Skill … blocked … then dealt to their face.

Thief backstab

Ranger maul

and so on…

The question then would be … would the Phantasm continue to mimic that ability every X seconds … a phantasm that eviscerates/backstabs/mauls/etc. every X seconds … scary.

Better yourself.