MIMIC mesmer skill redesign

in Mesmer

Posted by: renegade.4851

renegade.4851

Ok a dev mentioned in a thread that they are thinking of how to change mimic and he could use some ideas for a change to the mimic skill (if you don’t know mimic, a link is in the end of the post)

I will try to update this thread on a daily basis to keep the possible ideas in the first thread for a good overview.
So try to be creative, think of something that fits the mesmer, don’t say stupid things like instant heal up to your full hp and kill your opponent. We want reasonable ideas.
Some things we need for ideas is:
effect
how many targets and if aoe give a range indicator
cooldown
cast time

Link to the mimic skill
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mimic

Ideas so far:

in Mesmer

Posted by: renegade.4851

renegade.4851

I thought I’d start it off

channeled 1.5second block, after a projectile hit the mesmer the tile will flip and gives you the option to shoot back that projectile.
this is quite similar to the mimic used to be, but I find that the block duration should start right away instead of after a projectile has been taken in order to make it more reliable.

effects itself
35 second cooldown
channeled 1.5second cast time

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

[Manipulation] mimicEcho
Cooldown 30
Cast time: instant
Duration: 4 seconds (you (don’t have to channel it. It’s a buff + effect for 4 seconds)
Breaks stun
Mimic: “For 4 seconds, gain protection every second, and gain retaliation and stability on activation. When stun breaking or being hit by a control effect, absorb and store it for later use”
Protection: 1 second
Retaliation: 4 seconds
Stability: 4 seconds
(boons behave like normal boons, and thus are strippable and affected by boon duration)

Cast time: instant
Unblockable
Increases cooldown by 50%
Echo: “Echo your stored control effect at your target.” (it instantly reaches your target like power lock and power spike)

Something like this. Originally, I wanted it to pulse aegis instead of protection, but it would cause problems with the control-absorbing thing :P.

It would be usefull in offensive as well as defensive builds, while staying true to it’s original purpose and without being overpowered, I think :o

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

(edited by Alissah.9281)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Necrotize.2974

Necrotize.2974

My post from the other thread about Mimic:

Possible ideas for Mimic:
~Conjure a clone that that has more hp than others and mimics your moves exactly(IE tumbles when you tumble, casts different skills just without the damage portion like other clones)
Or to stay at least close to the current idea
~Cast and receive a 4 second boon that reduces damage by a decent amount and apply a marking condition to your current target. When the 4 seconds is up all damage you took during those 4 seconds is also applied to your target. Think share the pain.
Just an out of the blue idea.
~Mimic your opponents abilities. Temporarily grant one use of one of your opponents utility skills at random. Basically mimic would then change to the icon of one of your targets currently selected utility skills at random and then you can use it as your own once. Possibly reduce the effect of stolen utilities.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

Personally I think it’d be decent if you didn’t have to channel it..

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

I just posted it in the december thread and now here:

Hey here’s my version for a better Mimic:
First of all, think about what do the words stand for?

How can we put these idea ingame?
The word mimic would lead to the clones who would exactly act like you. It could be kind of a special buff that lasts for a short periot.
It could also say that you imitate your enemy so this would be another version of a skill:

• Mimic as a debuff/buff:
    Skilldescription:
    You copy the next skill your target is using. The skill lasts for 60s and has it’s original cooldown/dmg-factors/passive buffs/etc. (you can also copy a signet to gain the passives) After the 60s you had the “new” skill the cooldown will set to 25s of the mimic skill.
    debuff/buff -description
    The next skill you use will be copied by an <ally/enemy> mesmer!
    Range:
    900 -1200(with trait)
    Cast time
    0.75s
    Cooldown
    25s
    Additional facts
    Unblockable
    Debuff duration 5s
    Skill lasts for 60s
  • Mimic for your Clones
    Skilldescription
    For a short time your clones will imitate all of your weapon skills.
    Cast time
    no cast
    Range
    1200 // i think that doesn’t matter here
    Cooldown
    30-kitten
    Duration
    5-10s
    Additional facts
    The clones will do the same skills but they won’t summon illusions!
    New clones are instantly buffed with Mimic
    The Mesmer is buffed with Mimic
    The skill of the clones will be the same skill as of the mesmer. Just with less power:
    e.g.
    A mesmer’s clones that uses blurred frenzy will hit 8 times but very weak the clone does evade and will trigger sharper images.
    When a mesmer uses a ground-targetskill the clones will choose a random spot.
    When a mesmer uses a skill like illusionary wave/magic bullet the clones will perform the same attack. Stun, Daze, Blind will be applied.

~ Me Games Ma

~ Me Games Ma

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Heinel.6548

Heinel.6548

Am I the only one who doesn’t care for copying other people’s skills?

I’d rather just get the gw1 Echo, which turns into the next skill I use, so I can use chaos storm, blurred frenzy, more often, or stack phantasms more quickly

“… but I hate the idea ‘It may not make sense at first’.
I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

in Mesmer

Posted by: Yuhi Mortel.2609

Yuhi Mortel.2609

Mimic
Range 1200
Duration 4s.
Unblockable

Mimic : copy all boon of your foes and copy all condition you have during channeling.
Echo your mimic, all boon copy on you, and all conditions send to your foes.
(no cure condition ! no steal boon ! copy only).

Can’t use nothing during channeling, but you can move.
Auto Echo if you no use Echo during 4s.
Condition send to your foes if at 1200 range and no evade.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Valderro.6389

Valderro.6389

I think the most fun skill that would fit the name is to receive an illusionary weapon (i.e. bundle) that has the same weapon skills as what the target has equipped when the skill is cast on them. The mesmer can then use 1 skill from the bundle before it disappears (maybe two when traited with Chaos III). The skills the mesmer gets when used on NPCs could be predetermined by the devs, rather than leaving the mesmer to be able to cast any saved skill back at a vulnerable target, but most of humanoid NPCs could be given the same weapons that the player professions equip.

Echo is nice idea as well, but I’m thinking that is more an elite level of power, so Echo could very well be a future elite.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Eremoo.2785

Eremoo.2785

I’d like mimic to copy an elite skill (or random utility), or the idea above to copy a weapon set for afew seconds rather then having charges. I’d also like it to be able to use on a friendly (I’d like to copy a friends ele staff for fields, our shatter skills would be replace by attunements)

in Mesmer

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

Here’s something that could be a lot of fun.

When you cast mimic, it creates a clone of your opponent. For 3 seconds, it uses whatever skills the opponent uses back on the opponent. The attacks only do 25% of the damage that the opponent does with that skill (and maybe only 5% against PVE bosses).

It would certainly add some chaos to the battle field in team fights…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

I’d rather just get the gw1 Echo, which turns into the next skill I use, so I can use chaos storm, blurred frenzy, more often, or stack phantasms more quickly

I would like that to be its own skill. it already has a name and effect that people from GW1 are familiar with. I would gladly go out of my way to earn that skill.

As for mimic, it should start off as a block with an appropriate tell. When hit while that block is active, it should teleport the mesmer to the side and create a phantasm of the attacker in place of the mesmer. That phantasm will mimic the entire enemy attack animation using the mesmer’s stats and then shatter harmlessly. As it doesn’t create a phantasm in the image of the mesmer and shatters harmlessly afterwards, it will not count towards the mesmer’s illusion limit.

In relation to this, the block and all similar reactionary blocks (not just mesmers) should leave the player immune for at least 1.5 seconds after it is triggered. It kitten es me off to no end that rapidfire and channeled attacks make blocking in this manner pointless.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Helios.3598

Helios.3598

Mimic
Last thought. This skill is for almost all intents and purposes just not working, but is causing some broken behavior with certain bosses. I would like to replace it with a complete redesign and am open to discussion on that as well.

I definitely would agree that mimic is tough to use. Similar to recharging mantras you simply sit there and do nothing. I would prefer to see Mimic synergize better with other skills. Hmm… why not have it produce a clone or phantasm that mimics the absorbed spell on that first projectile block? The illusion will then use that spell to attack your opponent.

mesmer of Blackgate
http://intothemists.com/

in Mesmer

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

Mimic is being redesigned. If so, why would it be limited to a ‘mimic’ skill? It could be totally different.

Here’s a few fun ideas:

1) Transposition: You and your target swap positions.

2) Arcane Collusion: All boons shared among your opponents within X meters are also shared with you. Lasts 10 seconds

3) Arcane Amalgamation: All boons to be shared among your opponents within X meters are instead directed to you. Lasts 6 seconds.

4) Arcane Malfeasance: All boons your opponent gains are instead given to you. Lasts 6 seconds.

4) Arcane Redirection: The next X damaging attacks intended for you are instead redirected to your nearest opponent.

(edited by Thedenofsin.7340)

in Mesmer

Posted by: EverythingEnds.4261

EverythingEnds.4261

2 Ideas:

1)
Mimic:
Summon a Phantasm, which resembles you ENEMY and uses one of his attacks.
The problem is only to decide, which attack should be copied.

2)
Block/absorb for X seconds all Damage.
When the time is over: Set the total amount of absorbed Damage free, up to a certain cap.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Clownmug.8357

Clownmug.8357

To coincide with the upcoming change to confounding suggestions:

Mimic
“Daze an opponent and copy a skill if interrupted.”
Cooldown: 45 seconds
Cast time: 1/4 second
Daze: 1 second
Range: 900

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

I don’t really care to copy skills, since it feels like it will be harder to use in builds reliably, but I think if they just buff the current effect it will be fine, like for the four seconds you channel you absorb all projectiles aimed at you and Echo will send all of those attacks at a single opponent.

in Mesmer

Thedenofsin.7340

I don’t really care to copy skills, since it feels like it will be harder to use in builds reliably, but I think if they just buff the current effect it will be fine, like for the four seconds you channel you absorb all projectiles aimed at you and Echo will send all of those attacks at a single opponent.

I’m not particularly fond of a copy skill right now, as I think it would kind of feel like a variant of thief mug.

I like your idea for Echo. In fact, I’d rather see scepter #2 be changed to that behavior.

in Mesmer

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

For the trickery aspect, i like the ideas that have been saying the clones copy our moves, I’d say also our movement. If we run they run, if we dodge they will dodge for the duration. it will be great for the concept of a mesmer

Closer to the current skill, I’d just be happy with a legit 4 second block upon channel, and echo the first attack taken, without having to get hit in the first place, that would be a strong skill but not OP imo, bc if the opponent sees it, they should react and not let the mesmer absorb a powerful skill. This is like a warrior shield block, only we willingly sacrifice a utility slot for it, which is a reasonable trade off

in Mesmer

Posted by: Qiko.2461

Qiko.2461

I love the “Mimic” skill but not the primary function. I love the secondary function of Mimic.

I use it to block attacks and move around the battle field. Very powerful in a zerg wvw situation. The only problem with the secondary function is it doesn’t block all attacks.

There are a few skills that causes the mesmer to fall down and the mimic is cancelled.

Maybe Mimic should be converted to a block skill, and block all incoming attacks.
And the absorb skill should absorb both projectiles and attacks. And maybe a trait that extends the amount of time it blocks.

I wish I had a video to show how amazing it is when 20+ enemies slapping the Mimic Shield. So much damaged being blocked.

Mesmer – HoD server

(edited by Qiko.2461)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Mimic
30s CD
Breaks stun
Grants 4s Stability
4 second channel, reflects all ranged, blocks all melee. Counts the total number of hits, or blocks, and multiplies that times X (to a maximum of Y) for a single target ranged dps attack Echo effect post channel.

We lack stability options. Manipulations are ripe for having one.

(edited by Ross Biddle.2367)

in Mesmer

Posted by: mambastik.8735

mambastik.8735

The only problem with the secondary function is it doesn’t block all attacks.

Maybe Mimic should be converted to a block skill, and block all incoming attacks.

It used to work that way, Mimic blocked both projectile and melee attacks. Only thing that keeps me away is that you take the hit of the initial projectile, which is usually the one that’s going to mess you up anyway.

Right now there’s nothing distinctive or uniquely Mesmer-y about it. Mimic is 95% like Warrior’s shield block traited with projectile reflection. It’s crude and dirty. We Mesmers deserve something more elegant and majestic. Maybe something like:

Mimic: Every projectile absorbed creates an imbalance in the membrane, causing it to slowly shatter away from reality, flinging shards which randomly applies Confusion, Blind, or Cripple with 1 second IC in a 300 radius around the Mesmer. 4 second channel, maximum 4 pulses. (projectiles are absorbed, not reflected)

Echo: The shield membrane cannot stay sustained in the fabric of reality and collapses into the Mesmer’s palm. The Mesmer unleashes the unstable ball of energy, reflecting all projectiles back to their original sources up to 5 targets. It also creates additional 5 illusionary projectiles which cause no damage.

The random condition makes it uniquely a Mesmer skill and not a CopyPaste of the Warrior’s shield. Now picking up Far-Reaching Manipulations makes sense for Mimic→Echo. The exploding Echo hitting multiple targets addresses the issue about Mesmers lack of AoE attacks.

(edited by mambastik.8735)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Taldren.7523

Taldren.7523

Mimic:
Block up to 3 attacks over the next 3 seconds. Each attack blocked generates a clone of the attacker at the attackers location.
Should all 3 blocks be used the clones shatter and daze up to 5 targets for 1 second each.

Clones created by Mimic use your weapon attacks regardless of what weapon the enemy target is holding at the time.

80 Elementalist (RotV), 80 Mesmer (RotV)
80 Necromancer (IRNY), 80 Guardian (IRNY)
GW2: it’s like DAoC, but for the WoW crowd.

(edited by Taldren.7523)

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

• Block up to 4 attacks with no initial requirement. Increase the cool down to 30 seconds and make the duration 3 seconds.
  • Whatever Mimic blocks, you do PBAoE damage and transform the blocks into aegis on yourself for 5 seconds, AoE if you blocked more than one attack. 2 blocks = 2 allies get boons, etc.
  • If it didn’t block anything, grant only yourself aegis. The mimic bubble blows up creating a blast finisher.
Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

(edited by skcamow.3527)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dimswitch.6381

Dimswitch.6381

Easy.

Mimic:
3/4 sec cast, 30 second cooldown
Obtain (copy) all of your target’s boons.

This would be an exact copy, including stacks and duration. Obviously certain boss/npc boons could not be copied. This will effectively give Mesmers some “boon hate”. Cast and recharge would need to be monkeyed with to find proper balance, but this could be some real fun in pvp.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Divinity.8041

Divinity.8041

Easy.

Mimic:

This would be an exact copy, including stacks and duration. Obviously certain boss/npc boons could not be copied. This will effectively give Mesmers some “boon hate”. Cast and recharge would need to be monkeyed with to find proper balance, but this could be some real fun in pvp.

this is actually the best idea I have hard so far, and very easy to do

R40 Mesmer
Hypercrushed

in Mesmer

Posted by: themenaceofseventhdimension.2075

themenaceofseventhdimension.2075

Adress the problem people! Do not think about re working the whole thing just because you feel there are major problems that need to be addressed.

1. Don’t make this a channeled attack. It destroys us in combat. Four seconds of standing by yourself in the battlefield hoping to get hit with projectile is dumb. (I would have this and trade it for longer CD)

2. The problem is we keep getting bashed by melee attacks most of time rather than projectiles. We never seem to get projectiles right after the activation of skill, so there goes 2 seconds of the skill wasted while you take in massive damage without nothing to do since it is a channeled attack.

3. Make it so that until you get the projectile attack, you gain stability and -50% damage reduction. Discounting conditions of course. Once the projectile hits, stability and -50% damage reduction dissapears, and we are left with the good old projectile reflects and blocks that we already have on this skill.

It’s not so hard when you think about it.

Just my own opinon on the whole outlook of the situation, nothing else.

(edited by themenaceofseventhdimension.2075)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tentacle Love.3412

Tentacle Love.3412

I like the idea of mimic copying the next skill a la echo, but if you do that, make it where it copies the next weapon skill you use rather than utility/heal/elite. no sense elevating it instantly to elite status, that’s a bit nuts. doubling up on some of those weapon skills though would be sweet. especially sword and focus – we could actually get a decent amount of swiftness!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Easy.

Mimic:

Albeit boring and “mimicking” Arcane thievery- also a manipulation.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Mimic; Create a Phantasm that uses the next attack that you use.

OR

Mimic; Create a Phantasm that copies your target’s next attack and uses it.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

(edited by Dirame.8521)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Indrea.7803

Indrea.7803

I would love to see Mimic similar to the old Mesmer copy skills, like these http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Skill_quick_reference#Skills_that_are_replaced_with_other_skills

I think we don’t need another skill that control enemy boons, we already have a lot of them and arcane thievery could receive some improvements (reduced CD to start).

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Simple_Thievery or http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Arcane_Thievery are perfect and wonderful lore wise.

in Mesmer

Posted by: EverythingEnds.4261

EverythingEnds.4261

Mimic:

Absorb for X seconds all Conditions and transfer them into boons.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Why are you changing the skill? You are just creating new ones instead of fixing the old:

Mimic

• Absorbs every projectile for 4 seconds.
  • You gain stability and block every other attack for the same duration.
  • After this you got a charge and may shoot all the skills on a single target you wish.
Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Mesmer

Alissah.9281

Why are you changing the skill? You are just creating new ones instead of fixing the old:

Mimic

• After this you got a charge and may shoot all the skills on a single target you wish.

How to instantly destroy a siege :

1. Make sure you have mimic equipped. (warning: skipping this step will result to possible letal damage to your body)
  2. Jump off your safe walls, and once you get hit, activate mimic. (make sure there is an enemy zerg attacking)
  3. Just before your channel ends, run through the gate, to safety.
  4. Find a spot where you can pew pew the enemy siege, to deal 133333337 damage with echo.

Even if the cooldown was 320, everyone would run Mesmer :P

in Mesmer

Xyonon.3987

Mimic

How to instantly destroy a siege :

1. Make sure you have mimic equipped. (warning: skipping this step will result to possible letal damage to your body)
  2. Jump off your safe walls, and once you get hit, activate mimic. (make sure there is an enemy zerg attacking)
  3. Just before your channel ends, run through the gate, to safety.
  4. Find a spot where you can pew pew the enemy siege, to deal 133333337 damage with echo.

Even if the cooldown was 320, everyone would run Mesmer :P

You just write something because you are bored, don’t you? You could image yourself that there can easy be something like “absorbs 10 projectile, others are blocked”. Or are you really … no

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

in Mesmer

Thedenofsin.7340

Easy.

Mimic:

It definitely falls under “manipulation”, but I find that it is a lot like Arcane Thievery, but ‘suped up’ a bit.

I’d love to see Mimic replaced with a transposition skill that swaps your position with your opponent’s. Something like: 600m range, 40 second cooldown, requires line-of-sight, can be blocked or dodged, susceptible to stability, acts as an interrupt.

It’s definitely a manipulation skill, very “mesmer-y”, and I think everyone would find it useful in tPvP, PVE and WvW.

You could use it to catch runners, peel for your teammates, pull a bunker from a point, escape from a jam, drop opponents into ‘bad things’, etc.

My only fear would be that it would be too powerful. The developers would have to ensure that we couldn’t use it to get into keeps. Perhaps require the target to be within a cone-angle line-of-sight from the Mesmer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dimswitch.6381

Dimswitch.6381

Easy.

Mimic:

Albeit boring and “mimicking” Arcane thievery- also a manipulation.

It it’s kinda boring, I’ll give you that.

I guess what I’d really love to see is something like this:

Mimic: 1s cast, 60s cooldown

Create a phantasm clone of your target.

Would be a generic phantasm based on targets class with a few basic skills related to said class. Benefits from your phantasm/illusion traits.

Obviously the biggest problems are that this wouldn’t be a manipulation skill anymore and it would require some real work by anet to implement.

We should be realistically expecting something simple and easy to implement.

Here’s one; a twist on my original…

Mimic: 3/4s cast, 30s cooldown
Copy all your targets boons and conditions
Turns into Echo:
Copy all your boons and conditions onto your target.

Easy to implement, high skill cap, double-edged sword type of ability.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Azathoth.2098

Azathoth.2098

• Mimic:
    3 Chaos-Orbs appear and clockwise rotate around the Mesmer for up to 5 seconds.
    When hit, each Orb will absorb the incomming damage, and reflecting it back to the attacker.
    Each Orb can reflects back the damage only once, and will be destroyed afterwards.
    As long as at least 1 Orb is active, the Mesmer receives Regeneration.
  • Chaos-Armor:
    Chaos-Armor grants you swiftness.
    As long as Chaos Armor lasts, 50% of the incoming damage is reflected back to the attacker.
    In addition to that, every second you regain 5% of your total health.
    As long as Chaos Armor lasts near enemies will be pushed back.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

Hehe would be funny to use with IC(Illusions 25), CD(Chaos X) and Phase retreat :P
Two times port every 6s I’d like this!
I’d also like to use it with Phase Retreat -> Switch to Sword -> have the ability of phase retreat :P

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: misterdevious.6482

misterdevious.6482

I like the Mimic skill so much that I have Superior Runes of the Guardian on my Mesmer to cause burning when blocking.

Why I love the skill

• Reflecting Projectiles for a few seconds = great (reflecting is something the Mesmer excels at)
  • Blocking Attacks for a few seconds = great (this Mesmer likes getting into the fray and staying alive and triggering on-block effects)
  • 20s Traited Cooldown = great (it doesn’t need to be shorter)
  • Copying specific projectiles = nifty… (I can start a 1v1 with a WvW guard’s immobilize or scout’s blind)
  • Copying unique projectiles = nifty (tequatl poison finger projectile, or giant candy corn)
  • Appearance = nifty (unique shield effect)

What I don’t like about the skill

• Having the skill be interrupted = annoying but acceptable
  • Requiring a projectile to get the blocking and reflecting = annoying but tolerable
  • Using friendly projectile bounces to get the blocking and reflecting = weird but often necessary
  • Not knowing which projectile you absorbed = annoying
  • Copying a single projectile and not the entire skill = disappointing
  • Not knowing how the projectile you absorbed will be fired = bad (I often just spam it to get rid of the echo so I can see the mimic cooldown for more defense)
  • Not knowing the actual range of the projectile you absorbed = bad (especially if you are traited for longer ranges.)

So, some of the various ways to improve it:

• Give us some information about the stored projectile
  • Reflect/Block the first projectile
  • Copy the entire skill, not just one projectile
  • Block non-projectile attacks for the entire duration
  • New effect triggers if no projectile is captured
  • Normalize the way the stored projectiles are fired… so we can hit with it reliably.
  • Hitting with the stored projectile reduces Mimic Cooldown
  • Hitting with the stored projectile refreshes Echo (up to 2-3 times)
  • Hitting with the stored projectile also causes Confusion
  • 33% Chance to cause Confusion on Block during Mimic
  • Echo grants 10% Chance to reflect projectiles while a projectile is stored

Make it better, don’t scrap it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Anarchy.9703

Anarchy.9703

Mimic
Last thought. This skill is for almost all intents and purposes just not working, but is causing some broken behavior with certain bosses. I would like to replace it with a complete redesign and am open to discussion on that as well.

I am assuming improving a broken skill is not in their best interests and fixing the skill is a lot more complicated than we think. So let’s just assume that the redesign is absolutely necessary.

As for a redesign, I’m all for the copying a utility/weapon skill. It might give mesmers that extra bit of help in WvW if we can manage to copy some AoE skills. The only issue I can think of might be copying a thief’s skills as they have no cd. Though, honestly, I kinda want to be able to spam cluster bomb. And the options that being able to copy one of our own skills is a bit terrifying (Double blink would be pretty much an instant escape or having a potential 6 dazes on our utility bar). On an aesthetic perspective, how would one look using Blurred Frenzy while using a staff?

Commander Yüükï Asüna / Usagi Usagi / Izanami Usagi / Anarchy Usagi / Recursive Illusion
[MW] Eredon Terrace

in Mesmer

Xyonon.3987

Btw just bring the old CA back – or better – upon gaining CA, you recive protection or aegis for the duration. The 4 of staff gives you both.

CA really needs a buff in PvE.

in Mesmer

Posted by: mugen.4763

mugen.4763

Actually ever since this was brought up I’ve been using Mimic in wvw for fun. I completely forgot this skill even existed because I’ve only used it back in beta to see what it does and lost interest. I’ve been stealing Throw Bolus from Sentry Guards and some projectiles from Living Story mobs in mercenary camps. It’s very situational but quite fun ^^

Mugen Tsukuyomi [ABC]
Sorrow’s Furnace

in Mesmer

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

hi I rarely ever play a Mesmer in GW2 but I used to play one a lot in GW1 and thought some may like the idea of changing mimic to what Arcane Larceny was in GW1, have it say steal one utility skill from targeted enemy targeted enemy loses said utility for 25 seconds, you can use the utility you stole from them as many times as it recharges in that period(25seconds), (could be fun just may run into problems if say stealing a kit from an engineer or a summoned weapon from an ele)

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

in Mesmer

mugen.4763

I see skill stealing been brought up alot but it simply does not work in gw2 like it did in gw1. For 1 it will be very OP to steal a utility skill from another class; this is why steal ability on thief has a set of pre programmed skills. Secondly it should work well in PvP as well as PvE. While stealing skills is possible in PvP, it will be impossible in PvE because all skills that mobs use are like “Monster Kills” in GW1. A new iteration should also follow the “Manipulation” theme.

Mugen Tsukuyomi [ABC]
Sorrow’s Furnace

in Mesmer

Posted by: Soyboy.3548

Soyboy.3548

I actually like the current incarnation of Mimic. I don’t see why it needs a change. It fills the role of a selfish reflect and block and works extremely well in builds that like retaliation up.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Mimic
instant cast, 60s CD
Creates an empowered clone of yourself. The clone will cast the same abilities you do, but with 50% less duration or damage, and not following your target. It will move and dodge when you do, mirrored from the point where it was created.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

mugen.4763

I actually like the current incarnation of Mimic. I don’t see why it needs a change. It fills the role of a selfish reflect and block and works extremely well in builds that like retaliation up.

I have to agree to a certain degree. Mimic has saved my kitten countless times in the past couple of days. It’s like wielding a shield with reflect trait and I’m absolutely loving it. The only bad part is that you have no control over what gets absorbed when ur running away from a zerg. Only time u get to make an informed decision about what to absorb is when you see a skill with a long cast like Kill Shot, but right now I feel like the “absorb” is kinda a bonus while the real reason I use it is for the block. I guess the lesson here is that you don’t miss something till its gone, or in this case about to be gone xD

Mugen Tsukuyomi [ABC]
Sorrow’s Furnace

in Mesmer

Alissah.9281

I have to agree to a certain degree. Mimic has saved my kitten countless times in the past couple of days. It’s like wielding a shield with reflect trait and I’m absolutely loving it. The only bad part is that you have no control over what gets absorbed when ur running away from a zerg. Only time u get to make an informed decision about what to absorb is when you see a skill with a long cast like Kill Shot, but right now I feel like the “absorb” is kinda a bonus while the real reason I use it is for the block. I guess the lesson here is that you don’t miss something till its gone, or in this case about to be gone xD

Just wanted to add: you take damage from the absorbed projectile.

Mimicing a kill shot from a berserker warrior while youre berserker too, is a bad idea :P

in Mesmer

Posted by: SlimChance.6593

SlimChance.6593

Mimic:
4s Channel – 30sec cooldown.
Create a phantasm at your targets location, any damage your receive will “echo” around the phantasm.(300 radius) Phantasm dies at the end of channel.

Keep the same dome animation around the mesmer during the channel.

Want to create something similiar to the old GW1 Empathy or a “re-routed feedback”.

Eccho, Echo Oread – Mesmers (Yak’s Bend)
My EchoRupt Build - Forum Post