Make a Switch Hitter Build for 10-10-30-20-0

in Mesmer

Posted by: Quaygal.5327

Quaygal.5327

Q:

Switch Hitter: is something I’m going to define here and now as a single trait allocation that can be swapped from one build, when out of combat, to an entirely different build without having to find a trainer for respec’ing.

I use a 10-10-30-20-0 build for PvE support. I want people to brainstorm a 10-10-30-20-0 build for WvW roaming. You can choose any weapons, utilities, stats, runes, sigils, and food. You can pick any major traits using the trait allocation listed int he title. I’ll toss a gold or two to the builds I like the most.

(Edited for clarity of what I’m looking for.)
(Edit: I’ve also removed the link because the point is to make a new build, not critique the old one.)
(Edit: I’m no longer judging based on similarity to the old build.)

(edited by Quaygal.5327)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Honestly, I have a hard time to understand how this build can be of any use in PvE. What is it good for and how do you kill things?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

At a glance Kai, it looks like a phantasm build lite, while taking PU for some boon support maybe.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

So the whole build is around getting some boons and share them whenever possible?
If you want to support people with boons, a guardian might be the better choice.

Your damage is abyssmal with this setup, no matter what you do. No crit, no condition dmg, no phantasm traits, no shatter traits, no weapon traits. I just don’t see the point of a dmg soaking sponge in PvE, that hits like a wet noodle, not even as support.

So my tip is, if you want to be a might sharing bot, forget the other boons, and make a build that involves supporting the group with you actually doing damage. And get some gear that has power/precision/crit or, if you want to go with scepter and staff (torch seriously is a no-go in PvE), than something with power/cond.dmg.

(edited by Kaiyanwan.8521)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Well, he did ask for a better version.. Keep in mind the only skill requirement for these builds is Signet of Inspiration and grab some chocolate omnomberry creams but for WvW I definitely recommend Decoy or Blink and Arcane Thievery/Null Field too.

I’d say to go more towards 10/10/20/30 with Sword-Focus / Staff (Altruism Runes, Zerker gear, Signet of Inspiration). It’d be more damage and better boonsharing:

Dom – Signet Cooldown or 15% Phantasm damage
Duel – Phantasmal Fury or Blade Training
Chaos – Bountiful Interruption and Manipulation Cooldowns (or Debilitating Dissipation)
Inspiration – Medic’s Feedback / Warden’s Feedback.

With full zerkers, this Phantasm-based setup should do good damage while having Permanent Might / Vigor / Retaliation / Regeneration and high uptimes of Swiftness / Fury. You’ll be sharing with your team Retal, Regen, Swiftness, and Fury while still being able to have reflects (damage/control) among other things.

Keep in mind though, both Staff and Warden phantasms have a hard time hitting opponents, so you’ll still be moreso in a supportive role. Greatsword would add a huge DPS increase to this kind of build, and if you take it, swap it with sword/focus.

10/20/0/10/30 Shatter variant. Sword/Sword(or Sword+Torch) – Staff (or Scepter+Focus)

Dom – Mental Torment or Signet cooldown
Duel – Deceptive Evasion and what the hell ever else
Inspiration – Vigorous Revelations
Illusions – iPersona, Compounding Power, Illusionary Invigoration

Your damage here comes from Mind Wrack and your weapon skills. Vigorous Revelation could be swapped out with Glamour cooldowns to grab Feedback/Null Field/Portal. Your shatters will grant AoE Vigor (which is effin great) even if you have no clones out, grab a focus for swiftness and I’m sure you already know the supportive greatness of Staff (6 out of the 9 boons in the game). With this setup you’re essentially a more supportive mini-Osicat.

Keeping with your original spec, I ran a similar setup this weekend for spits and giggles.

10/10/30/20/0 – Sword/Focus & Staff

Dom – Signet Mastery
Dueling – Blade Training or Phant. Fury
Chaos – Debilitating Dissipat, Bountiful Interrupt, Chaotic Damp
Inspiration – Vigorous Revelation, Focus trait

… It looked pretty promising, very survivable and very anti-reflect (had Blink / Feedback / Signet of Inspiration), had good enemy control, very good support and with the might stacks my shatters and weapon skills did some decent damage. I’ll be playing around with it more to see how I could evolve it. Damage was only sorta decent.

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

I sometimes roam with my paladin solo spec (see my signature). I typically go 0/10/30/30/0 but modified the traits slightly to match your 10/10/30/20 requirement.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQNAW8dlwzKqHVzhGaNJhpH923I/kikvcSFUdpC4G-jQDBYMCykIBiIAO5BKLSZMNKoFhFRjVXDTdKyaVJV5CwbIp+DRWEAzEA-e

You could go dueling: blade training/phantasmal fury and domination: halting strike/empowered illusions/signet mastery. Note the signet of illusions vs inspiration due to the solo aspect, great for keeping your phantasms (and that regen) up and get out of jail by activating it to immediately recharge diversion/distortion.

If you know you’ll be grouping up, swap to inspiration and the build works good.

It can be difficult to take down with the >200/sec regeneration you (for the most part) run permanently with. You could always go for a little less armor if you want more damage but more armor seems to work well in WvW, especially in 1vMany scenarios.

EDIT: For Inspiration adept you could go vigorious revelation (not as much needed solo roaming), mender’s purity or persisting images (again helps keep phants up).

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

(edited by skcamow.3527)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Quaygal.5327

Quaygal.5327

Honestly, I have a hard time to understand how this build can be of any use in PvE. What is it good for and how do you kill things?

The build I’m currently using is ideal for pug groups where all-too-often people have no idea what they are doing. The link is also misleading and has thus been removed. For one, I switch around utilities, weapons, and jewelry quite often. Sword main for stacking, focus for projectile heavy situations, you get the idea.

As for my contribution to damage, I personally have roughly 100% up-time on fury, ~14 stacks of might, and retribution. But might stacks that I spread to allies also counts as damage that I contributed, so take my might and multiply it. I also have berserker’s jewelry for kicks.

Still, nobody had actually answered the question until Chaos Archangel.

(edited by Quaygal.5327)

in Mesmer

Posted by: harpoonefish.3208

harpoonefish.3208

Im going to preface my post by saying i dont mean for this to come off as rude, i simply just dont understand.
But if you want a trait setup that can easily switch between pve and wvw, and you dont mind changing everything else besides the traits, it seems like your gimping yourself for no reason other than saving 1 minute and 3 silver.
Am i missing another benefit this type of build may have?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Valarauka.2719

Valarauka.2719

I can think of two ways to go within the original constraints:

1. Phantasm Tank spec with an interrupt flavor:
Halting Strike, Phantasmal Fury, Illusionary Defense, BI, CI, Mender’s Purity, Warden’s Feedback (or Persisting Images).
Run with Sword/Focus and Scepter/Pistol, iDefender, Blink, and third skill of your choice. You get great projectile defense, perma-regen, hugely reduced damage when your defender is up, and AoE interrupts on both weapon sets for bonus Might, Halting Strike damage, and immobilize + extra control conditions on your enemies. Use Berserker/Knight/Cavalier gear mix to your preference.

2. Clone-death condi variant:
Crippling Dissipation, Desperate Decoy, Debilitating Dissipation, Staff trait, Prismatic Understanding, Mender’s Purity, Scepter trait.
Scepter/Torch and Staff, full Dire gear (no sharper images, so rabid is useless), decoy/veil/{blink/arcane thievery/signet of dom}. This build is really weakened by not having Sharper Images or Deceptive Evasion, though.

Both of these builds are meant for solo or small-team roaming, they won’t be very useful in a zerg v zerg situation.

Gate of Madness :: [LIVE] :: [OMFG]
Fiona Oberyn :: Mesmer ~ Valthaniel :: Guardian

(edited by Valarauka.2719)

in Mesmer

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

For the love of god, drop those 30 points in chaos and stick them … anywhere but chaos.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

in Mesmer

Posted by: Valarauka.2719

Valarauka.2719

For the love of god, drop those 30 points in chaos and stick them … anywhere but chaos.

Eh, I didn’t see his PvE build since he removed the link, but 30 Chaos can be pretty nice for PvP/WvW…

Gate of Madness :: [LIVE] :: [OMFG]
Fiona Oberyn :: Mesmer ~ Valthaniel :: Guardian

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hexxen.7216

Hexxen.7216

My only question is why bother? I know he want to blah blah but really it is only 3s to re-trait and after you memorize your main builds you swap to you can switch so easily.

I was going to try and make up a build that he requested but since he deleted the post he isn’t looking anymore?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

I like 10/10/20/30 for dps/support.

For dps mode I just take phantasm traits and take dps weapons, (or feedback+focus if needed), Which is usually with an experienced group of people I know.
For support mode ill take sword focus/staff and signet of inspiration. Cleric’s gear with altruism runes.

I always use omnomberry cream for boon duration/magic find.

You have nearly best acces to boons, or all phantasm traits when the situation calls for it, I like it ;D

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.