Manipulation Build: Illusion of Life+Mimic

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Was putting together some build combinations when I came up with this odd support build:

http://de.gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAW8clsnhy0YfawONwtGL4GkZGCxIPLxLudZAW9vA-TpwRgAA7PIWGAA

In the vid, I’m using pack runes rather than Mercy

2:43
6:15
6:56

Now sure, that match was a stomping, and don’t ask what made me think “Hm.. Lets run full manipulations!” but I ended up playing around with traits and came up with the above.

One thing I find really cool about the new Mesmer specs is how easy it is to make a build that can work with whatever utilities you feel like running. In anything but the highest level PvP, Mesmers have nearly free reign on the kinds of builds we want to make (which is why it’s a bit of a shame to see so many people clinging to the same two builds)

So I do like Mimic + Illusion of Life, but Mimic really needs to be instant-cast. The cast time is so clunky and unnecessary with that obscene cooldown.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

While unpopular it’s nice to note that mirror gains 2s of extra reflection time now totalling 4s lovely for use on Rangers..

Anyway as much as I want mimic + iol to be amazing I can’t help but feel that if you need to provide this much of clutch support then something is very wrong with your team or your teams skill levels.

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

While unpopular it’s nice to note that mirror gains 2s of extra reflection time now totalling 4s lovely for use on Rangers..

Anyway as much as I want mimic + iol to be amazing I can’t help but feel that if you need to provide this much of clutch support then something is very wrong with your team or your teams skill levels.

IoL used to see play in high level PvP way back when, but was deemed not as valuable as portal. I don’t know if running Mimic+Illusion of Lifemeans you have a bad team or a very unique comp but it does bother me that people aren’t experimenting more. Who knows what we could discover or how good this stuff could actually be?

I think what it comes down to is how smooth the support is. If it doesn’t interrupt your rotation or play in any way, then it’s worthwhile. Right now it seems you only need Dom/Dueling for a nice burst of power for the signature 1-shot bursts (and to flood the PvP forums with tears) and utilities feel a bit more flexible than before since we have more natural survivability. Will this ever become a thing? Idk. But there is potential here and it’s worth exploring.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

Not trying to put down experimental play, just noting when my team is doing well I probably won’t be using iol and certainly not twice in a row.

Mimic + arcane thievery has some milage if you want to run a boon sharing build. Combine with the new phant summon trait.

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

in Mesmer

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

i try so many builds

like soldier amulet with dom/due/insp with shatter i blind, vulnerability, remove boon and cleanse condition , use glamour with resistance

its seems mesmer can pull away from the burst class to more support, holder type.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

In general, I prefer 3 unique utilities over doubletap with mimic. That being said, mimic definitely has potential in some situations.

That being said, the one singular ability that mimic should really never be used with is IoL. If your team is dying so fast that you need to IoL them twice rapidly, they’re not going to suddenly get good and not die a third time, they’re just going to get steamrolled again.

IoL was seen as an important high level utility because of the ability it has to take a close fight and suddenly prolong it for long enough to turn it around for a win. It wasn’t seen as a way to continually prop up an awful team that can’t seem to keep their rear ends off the ground.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

I think it’s an interesting combo, but it’s use is rather niche. Spending the mimic on that alone means you lose out on things like double blinks, and you generally want to put yourself in a situation where you don’t need to use double IoL in the first place.

Not only that, but it takes up a spot that arcane thievery could be using instead, which is not a utility that should be undervalued.

It’s not that I think it’s a bad combo, but it is definitely more niche. It would really need to be used in a coordinated fashion for it to be effective in the first place. Casting it on some pug who will then waste time typing “ty” in say chat to only be immediately downed again while they were standing still during the process is simply not productive at all.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

You’ve managed to make IoL palatable by making it double cast. That said, you’ve still had to use two utilities to make it happen.

I had my final thought while reading down the thread. If getting people up off the ground is important to me, I still think I can do a stronger job overall with MoD, f4, and a straight up hard res.

Liked watching the vid btw.

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

I always enjoy watching your videos.

I don’t know if I’d really want to focus on Mimic-ing Illusion of Life. That just means you have to constantly pick up people that keep going down. I’d actually replace Mimic with Arcane Thievery in this case. I just think there’s plenty more utilities worth mimic-ing than IoL, and if you’re using Mimic, you better have those two utilities worth doubling up on! haha

Overall, this looks pretty nice and is worth exploring! I love the use of s/s. I imagine that set should see more play in pvp with CS and better access to traits that might buff pSwordsman (phantasmal haste for example) who m btw hits like a semi.

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”