Mesmer Balance Changes

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

Ikasun or something like that. And lvl 25 I think. I’ve been playing a kungkittenmaster so just been taking my time leveling up in PvE helping the guildies that moved over with me adjust to a new game.
And gold seller spam is horrendous but if you turn off map and faction chat it isn’t nearly as bad.
Definitely have a game/tv show on stand by if you stuck in a long queue. It’ll calm down as the weeks progress though I think.

WOW censoring F*U ahah
It will. Lol was the same in its early days: 2h+ of queue time.
I’m in master Hong, sadly.
I’ll still add you in F.List for dungeons tho, it’s always nice to do them with friends and all since you can take turn for the bids ahah x)

What will be the future filtering functions …this is likely to be awfull ….

other words withkitten?

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: YuukiAsuna.3417

YuukiAsuna.3417

Ikasun or something like that. And lvl 25 I think. I’ve been playing a kungkittenmaster so just been taking my time leveling up in PvE helping the guildies that moved over with me adjust to a new game.
And gold seller spam is horrendous but if you turn off map and faction chat it isn’t nearly as bad.
Definitely have a game/tv show on stand by if you stuck in a long queue. It’ll calm down as the weeks progress though I think.

WOW censoring F*U ahah
It will. Lol was the same in its early days: 2h+ of queue time.
I’m in master Hong, sadly.
I’ll still add you in F.List for dungeons tho, it’s always nice to do them with friends and all since you can take turn for the bids ahah x)

What will be the future filtering functions …this is likely to be awfull ….

other words withkitten?

The future will be a censoring of any and all things negative about Anet. Entire posts will be converted into Anet kitteneed this kitten kitten kitten, etc.

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: trado.2571

trado.2571

This is it. They destroyed even chrono at last, i know this was going to happen (mesmer can’t be useful whatsoever) but somehow i hoped they would carefully nerf things and see how it turned out.
With alacrity halved, defensive skills gutted and even raid quickness share nerfed to the ground the situation is quite dire.

I feel so sorry for a class i used to love and for all the people still wasting their time with it.

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I can’t believe they actually managed to make Feedback so much more clunky to use despite this being the one truly big buff if I am to guess their intent.

Unusable underwater and much slower to put up.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

(edited by Carighan.6758)

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

A martial-arts based MMO? Dude.. I’m trying to play guild wars here. I just got back! What is this greatness you are distracting me with?

All I wanted from guild wars was a martial arts class. =[ If B&S (which for a second I thought was Batman and Superman) has a Capoeira-based style I think I may never play any other game ever again

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

A martial-arts based MMO? Dude.. I’m trying to play guild wars here. I just got back! What is this greatness you are distracting me with?

All I wanted from guild wars was a martial arts class. =[ If B&S (which for a second I thought was Batman and Superman) has a Capoeira-based style I think I may never play any other game ever again

You’re gonna need to clean yourself up after seeing Kung (forum censors this word) Master.

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: AtomsOrSystems.9420

AtomsOrSystems.9420

You’re gonna need to clean yourself up after seeing Kung (forum censors this word) Master.

KungkittenMaster sounds… kinda racist, after the forum censor has its way with it.

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

Personally, I’m thinking of heading Blade Dancer. Has that mystic combatant thing going on~

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: TheOneWhoSighs.7513

TheOneWhoSighs.7513

Personally, I’m thinking of heading Blade Dancer. Has that mystic combatant thing going on~

I’m playing Assassin.
Plays a lot like how I wanted thief in this game to function.
Except, you know, better.

“Unused Development Initiative. We care so much
about your feedback, that we don’t even read it.” ~ Crystal Suzuki

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Korusef.3714

Korusef.3714

@MailMail you forgot to mention the change to the Precognition well

@Chaos: Welcome back, now join us in BnS: KFM is probably what you want to play, though Summoners have kitten ears, fluffy tails and kitten kitten for a pet.

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Downloading now… Can we even talk about this here? xD

Anyways. How does Mesmer feel since the alacrity & friends nerf guys? Is it really “mez ded” or more of a really inconvenient and ill-thought change that makes the class harder and less rewarding to play… But somehow still viable?

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

Anyways. How does Mesmer feel since the alacrity & friends nerf guys? Is it really “mez ded” or more of a really inconvenient and ill-thought change that makes the class harder and less rewarding to play… But somehow still viable?

It is a bit hard to tell right now because unranked is awful (at least for me). People are still trying things and they are just bad (I so miss ranked…). But I feel like I’m still viable. Yes, it requires more skill, but that’s fine.

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: AtomsOrSystems.9420

AtomsOrSystems.9420

Mine is certainly not the most expert voice here, but you all know that. That being said, in my estimation, PvE feels more like the latter.

PvP… I’m trying to withhold judgement, but even in solo-queue (where I play 90% of the time), it’s already feeling like the former. Pretty much everything can take me on, and when I win a fight, it’s almost always with the sense that it was just because I was outplaying someone new to their profession, or similar.

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Remember the time when Mesmers only had 1 role and not only were thieves better at it but they hard countered us? Like then but now 4 classes are better at it then us, thieves do even more damage, are immune to our conditions and can perma evade when not in stealth.

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Sweet Lyssa… Someone please tell me Levetty is wrong!

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Levetty is wrong…thief can also perma stealth with perma evades and hurt you at the same time. \o/

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Menaka.5092

Menaka.5092

Isn’t that the description of Mesmer valid for the last 3 years or so?

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

From August to this week, Mesmer was actually fun and useful.

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

@MailMail you forgot to mention the change to the Precognition well

What’s Well of Precognition?

In other news: I never thought the day would come when I feel absolutely useless against thieves again. The amount of evades they have are pretty ridiculous.

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Blade dancer is pretty cool too, but I’m not a huge fan of the midget with ears and a tail aesthetic. I’ll keep piping this up wherever, try and get to the same server/faction as me so that we can populate the Mesmer Refugees guild well.

Sweet Lyssa… Someone please tell me Levetty is wrong!

So lets do a quick once-over of what mes can do:

Bunker
No.

Condie
Necros are both substantially better at it than us (have you seen the boon corruption they have now?) and are a direct hardcounter to mesmer condie builds with transfers and corruptions.

Power Burst
It’s as it always has been: a semi-gimmicky 1 trick pony that doesn’t have the mobility of thief, and no longer has the defense to survive a fight with one. Due to their inherent tankiness with reaper shroud, reapers are also a nightmare to fight on a power burst build. Revenants can cause problems too, not to mention scrappers.

Power Interrupt
So interrupt has never been good on thieves, and it’s even worse with the dodge-happiness of daredevils nowadays. Add the insane autoattack damage they do and you get rid of most of the stuff that used to be interruptable. This does better against reapers than power burst, but revenants will make you cry. Scrappers can be a pain too.

So yeah, that’s basically how it is nowadays.

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Scribble.8069

Scribble.8069

Did they change Illusionary Avengers? For some reason the Alacrity radius felt larger before.
Or it could just be that it’s un-noticible now? I tried standing right behind them and didn’t get any.

Scribble Scrabbler
Kiss Kiss Bang [BANG]

(edited by Scribble.8069)

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Toeofdoom.6152

Toeofdoom.6152

Hmmm… I think the alacrity change is good in the long term because mesmer has a really interesting breakdown of trait lines and I don’t want chrono to be mandatory. That said, the builds I basically copy/pasted from pre-patch are now subpar.

There are some hefty buffs in, but it will take time to figure out if they can be used effectively because they’re on unusual traits. My current best hope for a powerful build revolves around mantras + Chrono.

Paladin amulet seems very useful if you are getting destroyed by burst, meaning there’s something to fall back on if thieves are being annoying.

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

You know Chaos, GW2 is probably the worst when it comes to melee animations. So may times I wanted to make a clip of every class spinning and add You Spin Me Round at BGM…

I mean with HoT we also have ele and necro joining the fray. Just 3 more classes left.

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

How exactly does the restorative mantras change work? The numbers I saw briefly in the trait panel look as bad as I remember from prepatch with a healing power amulet, but is this accurate or is it a tooltip error?

Could we slap on a mender’ amulet and run an offensive mantra build that focuses on moderate burst damage and some AoE healing/support? Or is that not worth it in your guy’s opinion? For pvp obviously.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

How exactly does the restorative mantras change work? The numbers I saw briefly in the trait panel look as bad as I remember from prepatch with a healing power amulet, but is this accurate or is it a tooltip error?

Could we slap on a mender’ amulet and run an offensive mantra build that focuses on moderate burst damage and some AoE healing/support? Or is that not worth it in your guy’s opinion? For pvp obviously.

With mender’s you’ll heal for about 3,400 vs the base 2,600. Sounds good on paper but when you think about the fact you have over 1k healing power, it’s not that great. Not near enough of a difference IMO to make it worth trying to build healing around. I even tried putting something together with MoP but you just give up too much on your utility bar for it.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see people trying to make a bunker spec work but I honestly don’t think it’ll fly with no toughness.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

I wouldn’t be surprised to see people trying to make a bunker spec work but I honestly don’t think it’ll fly with no toughness.

I think something like this might work:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQRAse7cn0nBVphlfCufCEgilTjq+Zz2vlMAWgg68JiisD-TpwZABAUGoz9HAA

Not as a pure bunker but for teamfights. That being said, you might as well just go Druid or Tempest. Restorative Mantras is a nice perk but it’s nothing I’d create a build around.

The issue with bunkery Mesmer builds is that we hugely rely on boons and Chaos if the Alacrity nerf turns out to be too severe. Which just won’t work as soon as a Necromancer is around. So basically, Thieves counter our bursty builds, Necromancers counter our tanky builds.

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

I think something like this might work:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQRAse7cn0nBVphlfCufCEgilTjq+Zz2vlMAWgg68JiisD-TpwZABAUGoz9HAA

Not as a pure bunker but for teamfights. That being said, you might as well just go Druid or Tempest. Restorative Mantras is a nice perk but it’s nothing I’d create a build around.

The issue with bunkery Mesmer builds is that we hugely rely on boons and Chaos if the Alacrity nerf turns out to be too severe. Which just won’t work as soon as a Necromancer is around. So basically, Thieves counter our bursty builds, Necromancers counter our tanky builds.

Yeah I’ve got a bruiser put together using paladin/leadership, much akin to the old bunker and going to put it through the paces over the next few days. Of course I’m optimistic as always but I know I’m up against some pretty stiff competition.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Well basically, I was thinking of running the old mantra build that used to be really cheesy, without chronomnacer at all, and just running that with menders staff/GS, so you have CC, some burst, and some decent heals and portal. I don’t think ele has the survivability or damage to make menders or sages work with tempest since diamond skin was gutted, but menders LB/staff Druid sounds like it would be fairly strong.

I also briefly tried a malicious sorcery build with mantras and sages amulet with chronomnacer for shield, and it was okay but lackluster, though the 20% on mantra charging was nice.

Though I don’t plan to spend much time playing this game these days, those are my ideas for Mesmer.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xstein.2187

Xstein.2187

Here are my suggestions. Feel free to butcher it to death if you don’t like the ideas. Just want to know what you think

Precog
Well of Precognition: Many people seem upset with the change to this skill. However, when I look at the other skills in the game, it was obviously overpowered. The reason it is overpowered is because they did not take alacrity into consideration when they decided on its initial cool down. I believe many mesmers would be happy if you made the skill grant blur and increased the cool down to 60 seconds. Ya, I know what a lot of you guys are thinking. A 33.33% increase to the cool down may seem pretty harsh still. However, when you look at the skills of the other classes, like endure pain, this would bring it more in line if the mesmer had alacrity.
endure pain = 4 sec invulnerability/60 sec = .06666666 sec invul/sec
.0666666 =3/x —> x = 3/.0666666 —> x = 45 seconds
See, before any changes were made, endure pain and precog both gave the same amount of invulnerability per second, and they both did not prevent point capture. They were balanced equally. However, the devs perhaps did not take alacrity into full consideration.
With alacrity (currently at 25% reduced cool downs with perma alacrity) the cool down should be:
.0666666 = 3/(x-(.25x)) —> .066666 = 3/.75x —> .066666(.75x) = 3 —> .04999999x = 3 -->
x = 3/.04999999 = 60 sec
Technically, if the chrono had perma alacrity, the well granted invulnerability, and the well did not prevent point capture, the wells would be equal in terms of invul/sec. Personally, I think blur is needed instead of invulnerability since chronos can have a better tank build. Basically, lets try to keep the skill between classes somewhat equal.
p.s. I believe prevent point capture is still up for debate with this skill.

Alacrity:
I don’t understand very much why some think that alacrity should be 66% on the chrono and 33% on everyone else. I believe people think this mainly because there is a rumor going around that mesmer skills are balanced around alacrity (which I only think is partially true). In fact, I think the problem with chrono is more that they did not take alacrity fully into consideration with some skills. One of the big problems with the previous 66% alacrity is that it could reduce the cool down of echo of memory to only 18 seconds. With the nerf to alacrity this number was increased to 22.5 seconds. To be honest, a 22.5 second cool down is much more in line with the other skills. However, it guts the whole class in the process because the chrono relies on alacrity for everything. 66% alacrity was also too high for pve. However (I don’t know if this is just a rumor or not), I heard that when the devs announced it, they said that the 66% alacrity increased the dps of a raid group by 66% ??? This couldn’t be further from the truth.
Alacrity only acts on 5 people, not ten
Even if alacrity can be permanent in theory, it usually not because people move out of your wells.
66% alacrity permanently on translates to 40% reduced cool downs
40% cool downs does not mean a 40% increase in dps
Additionally, a chronomancer is nearly giving up nearly all its dps to give as much alacrity as possible and anything left is so small compared to other classes that it is essentially nonexistant. What also must be taken into consideration is that other classes can provide more dps while at the same time buffing allies.

Summary
Therefore, my suggestion would be to give alacrity a value of 50% instead of 66% or 33% and then change the cool downs of well of precognition and eco of memory respectively
1. Make alacrity reduce cool downs by .5 seconds per second, 50% —>33.33% with perma alacrity.
2. Increase the cool down of well of precognition from 45 seconds to roughly 68 seconds (based on compensating for alacrity using the above equations). Make the well pulse blur. Allow point capture. All of these changes bring it it line with endure pain when taking alacrity into consideration.
3. Increase the cool down of eco of memory so that it gives a 25 second cool down with perma alacrity. This would make it so chronos would have the same amount of protection with the shield per second of cool down as the revenants Crystal Hibernation and Warriors shield stance.
25 sec = x-.333333x, 25 = .66666x, x = 25/.666666 = 37.5 second cool down. Lets just round it up to a 38 second cool down.

Lägertha Lothbrök: PvE Mesmer
Schrödingers Clone: PvP Mesmer

(edited by Xstein.2187)

Mesmer Balance Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: FJSAMA.2867

FJSAMA.2867

Just one big flaw in your way of think. Like everyone who qqed about alacrity, you are assuming once again permanent alacrity, that is only achivable when specing multiple wells and 2 major traits. Balacing this skill around that will make useless for other builds that choose not to spec multiple wells/ both traits.

Also dont compare different skills in different classes. Wanna counterplay well of precog? Dont fight in that confined invuln zone for 3s. Kite. Simple. Hide from LoS if he dont follow.