Mesmer PvE Omg :O why?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Soulus.4308

Soulus.4308

Haha sorry MrMacAndCheese I couldn’t resist using your title :P

Anyways, for those who are having troubles with leveling the mesmer it can be rather difficult to get used to the mesmer. For myself I was feeling rather weak, but that could have been from me being on a guardian for up to level 56. But please, if you are finding yourself struggling within the first 30-40 levels, stick with it as it does get better. I am only level 55 with my mesmer but it is much better than when I was leveling up to level 30.

I am not going to list builds or anything as there are many threads on here for those, so have a look through them and see what feels the best for you. There are a nice selection of builds as this class is quite versatile so I’m sure you people who are struggling will find something that suits them. Then again, the class might not be suitable for you but please don’t judge this class at those early levels as this class shines the more you level so stick to it and hopefully you will enjoy the class the more you play and level it ^^

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Or to look at it another way: If you get upset easily by perceived shortcomings of PvE for mesmers, and you decide to quit, that’s your loss.

in Mesmer

Soulus.4308

Or to look at it another way: If you get upset easily by perceived shortcomings of PvE for mesmers, and you decide to quit, that’s your loss.

Hehe pretty much, this class is really fun and is a shame when people give up out of the leveling speed for those early levels, especially when they are comparing it to other classes (which is never a good idea on this game)

But as you said, it is their loss ^^

in Mesmer

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

Played both Ranger and Guardian before my Mesmer, Mesmer is a lot easier in PvE than Guardian or Ranger for me. It all depends on if you know your profession and enjoy it(and the right build; not random traits).

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

in Mesmer

Soulus.4308

I thought that both Guardian and Ranger were more or less easier than mesmer when I played them, but in the long run I am sticking to mesmer as it is much more fun and is strong enough for me in PvE… Portal on the other hand just makes me and my guildies love this class more and more after doing the jumping puzzle in eternal battlegrounds.

in Mesmer

Posted by: TakaEagle.9486

TakaEagle.9486

I got a level 40 mesmer at the moment which indeed takes a bit longer to level rather than my ranger (where his pet just tanked the mobs). Can i ask why is it that people say mesmer’s get better 40+? I’m going to main mesmer either way, i just don’t understand why they would get better since they have all their elite skills/ normal skills etc…by level 30.

S H U N P O [TS]
Sea Of Sorrows Commander

in Mesmer

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

@TakaEagle
Tier 2 traits.

Duelist has creation of a clone on dodge(X)
Illusions has additional bounce of attacks that has bounces(VII) (Staff #1, GS #2, Trident #1).
You also unlock every other weapon traits. GS and Torch in Domination, Staff in Chaos, Focus and Scepter in Inspiration.

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

in Mesmer

Soulus.4308

Them tier 2 traits are awesome XD

in Mesmer

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

I have no idea why people complain about PvE with Mesmer. Perhaps its because I run a shatter build and mainly use GS/Staff(for CDs) but never once have i thought I didn’t do enough damage or kill things quick enough and I take little to no damage most of the time even being “glass”. Stack that power & precision even at low levels, dodge strategically and use your shatter abilities!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Seren.6850

Seren.6850

clone on dodge made mesmer a lot more enjoyable for me, it giving the ability to shatter far far more is great.

SoS original -“They mostly come out at night … mostly”
[FIRE] Serene Snow, Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

After leveling my Ele, my mesmer has been easy…

in Mesmer

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

I agree, my mesmer compared to my ranger main and even warrior, has been super easy and highly capable. I was always levelling in places 5-8 levels higher than me. From the beginning through the middle, level 30 in level 42 places, and til now, level 66 doing Straits events at 70-75.. and once i hit level 75 i’m heading to cursed shore.

Swarms are no problem if you focus and use all ur skills, single targets are just a joke. So if its a single target champion then it’d be a joke. Dungeons are also much easier on my mesmer than other classes

I ran primarily staff and sword/focus and people think staff is weak but it melts my targets so fast after the first two seconds with great defensive boons, protection for illusions, and combo fields! Even when i was like level 28 in level 35. targets would just melt so fast, compared to a level 80 thief friend, it was basically similar in speed…

But i went with a gs later because it helped me tag mobs better in any zerg situations and they complement each other well. If i started gs/staff earlier then i would have an even easier time. Just kiting around, you can do it non stop and be nearly invincible when you’re concentrating. the cd on gs and staff just goes on after another and chain pulling is amazing.

I never had an issue with mesmer, even with a warrior it was much harder. Maybe its my play style and thinking. It did take around 5 levels to get used to, and til level 15 to really get confident but mesmers are amazing for me. the direct damage from classes like warriors…. doesn’t really work for me that well, its risky, its whether you can overpower the enemy or whether they overpower u. i’ve seen countless warriors go down in tougher swarm situations. but a mesmer seems to be able to kite and survive through nearly ANYTHING in PvE.

in Mesmer

Posted by: NatashaK.9418

NatashaK.9418

I’d put mesmer as a top tier class for soloing vets. It’s not quite ranger easy but anything where you have the time to let your conditions tick, you are using all your c/d a few times, you have time to shatter a bunch of clones and then have phantasms sitting there, beating on the mob, etc.

Much of my PvE frustration with mesmer was about how quickly and efficiently you could pull and dispatch 3 mobs. And how bad was it if you pull or had another 3 pack spawn on you. In this case, the slow build time of the mesmer’s damage and the fact that illusions are associated with one mob really work against you.

I was routinely 5-7 levels ahead on personal story with ranger and guardian. I found it a challenge on mesmer are ele playing at par level. (Personal story being a fairly controlled environment where it’s really obvious where you had to retry or now.)

Obviously a second or third character gains a lot of benefit of knowledge and possibly crafted gear. I pretty much leveled all four of these at the same time. My necro feels vastly stronger than everything else, but I acknowledge that I have hundreds of hours of playing and crafted myself gear.

in Mesmer

Posted by: korelg.7862

korelg.7862

why am I the only one that found the mesmer really fun an easy to lvl? i actually had more troubles lvling my warrior and guardian than my mesmer leveling my mesmer i mostly used sword/sword and scepter/pistol then changed to GS and sword/pistol and fell in love with it

in Mesmer

NatashaK.9418

Any ranged/kiting class can feel easier than a melee/tanking class if you have terrible gear and dont care about kill speed. Because you can dodge and circle strafe for hours just slowly chipping away at your target.

If you do keep your gear relatively up to date you can just chain pull and melt packs of mobs with a warrior or guardian.

in Mesmer

Posted by: MrMacAndCheese.3907

MrMacAndCheese.3907

TakaEagle.9486
I got a level 40 mesmer at the moment which indeed takes a bit longer to level rather than my ranger (where his pet just tanked the mobs). Can i ask why is it that people say mesmer’s get better 40+?

( I heard that Ranger’s pets are one-shot-dumb-AI broken. So hard to tell what is True.)

Don’t you know this is a race? This game is GW2, which stands for Orr Farmville. The goal is to get a character to 80 as fast as possible so that you can farm Orr everyday until you hate your life. If you win, you can afk in front of the TP in Lion’s Arch and imagine that anyone cares. Bonus cred if you have several endcap toons. Lvling every class as fast as possible obviously makes you an expert in every class. And stuff.

Yeehaw!

in Mesmer

NatashaK.9418

Mesmers get better at 40 only if you buy the secret book that unlocks special skills. (i.e. put 20 points into a trait line)

The class is very mediocre if you put 10 points in each tree, wear random gear, and slot random skills. The class is incredibly strong when properly built, especially if you can make opponents fight on your terms.

in Mesmer

MrMacAndCheese.3907

This is the first MMO I’ve played where Crafting was not only “viable”, but totally worth it from lvl 5 +

I’m a Tailor and an Artificer, and I make my own armor and weapons every 5-10 lvls. I NEVER get drops that are better then what I make myself. I just salvage them all for more crafting mats, and I love that so much.

All joking aside-ish, let me relate a little true tale:

I decided to AFK on what I thought was a Safe Beach (despite some shady scallywags lurking about ) so that I could go to the kitchen and make a sandwich. Shortly after, I heard the cries and moans of my Mes being beat down. I ran in and saw I was surrounded by two drakes and three pissed off crabs all trying to kill me for no good reason.

At the time, I was working with Power and Prec stats in gear with GS/Sw+Sw and barely any traits to speak of. I did this , I did that. I used GS knockback, I used GS pretty useless AoE cus they were all in a tight bunch up on me. I switched to dual swords, did the clone-swap-root (which honestly probably didn’t help me so much in this situation), but blurred frenzy did, and as I channeled the block, I took a few steps back to get some space and re-access the situation. I think I went down once, but rallied, and killed them all.

I went outside (IRL now) and told my bro " I love Mesmer", and told him all about it.

TL;DR This one time, at band camp, I totally didn’t die with my mesmer, even when I was making a sandwich.

in Mesmer

MrMacAndCheese.3907

Mesmers get better at 40 only if you buy the secret book that unlocks special skills. (i.e. put 20 points into a trait line)

The class is very mediocre if you put 10 points in each tree, wear random gear, and slot random skills. The class is incredibly strong when properly built, especially if you can make opponents fight on your terms.

This is true…..for any clas cough profession.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xocolatl.6890

Xocolatl.6890

I tried the Mesmer, and I think I’m doing a lot better than my Engy.

I have more escape, more damage, and I actually seems to take less damage per shot for whatever reason. (I run toughness traits/items on my Engy, and yet my mesmer seems to be much more durable..I think it’s because of the extra low HP for Engy).

in Mesmer

MrMacAndCheese.3907

I tried the Mesmer, and I think I’m doing a lot better than my Engy.

I have more escape, more damage, and I actually seems to take less damage per shot for whatever reason. (I run toughness traits/items on my Engy, and yet my mesmer seems to be much more durable..I think it’s because of the extra low HP for Engy).

Mesmers are soo good at staying alive, and I can’t even credit it to player skill. In downed state, we can teleport away and spam f4 and often times make it. Sure, half the time you might tele right into the AoE at the boss’s feet, but not always.

I started an eng cus I thought it’d be fun to shoot stuff and have crazy boots or something. I’ve only gotten to like lvl 12, and of course it’s pretty easy at that point. You just run and shoot stuff. I’d like to lvl it more someday maybe, but medium armor is mostly ugly unless you are a Pirate from the Matrix.