[Mesmer][Trait Deceptive Evasion swap]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

I think the main issue here is the whole mesmer mechanic is too dependent on clone production and clones in general.

Shatter needs clones
Death trait needs clones
Condis need clones for the simple fact that clone AA deal conditions

Clones are also needed for body blocking and a little bit of misdirection

I think the mesmer needs some serious revamps in major departments.

As I’ve said, Mesmer is too reliant on DE

but we also have subpar Utilities Thats why in every build you see common utilities over and over again.

I think that’s just your perception. I’ve successfully played a Mesmer condi build without DE. All it takes is for you to figure out how else you’ll be creating clones.

This misses the point. It’s not that you can’t make a build without DE and run it with some measure of success. It’s that any build without DE will be suboptimal.

On top of this, within the framework of the game, you’ll be at a severe disadvantage against all other classes/meta builds if you don’t have the clone production capable with DE in play.

in Mesmer

Ross Biddle.2367

Wouldn’t the way to solve the DE issue be to make Illusionary Persona baseline instead? This means that you can shatter anytime and don’t need to waste a dodge for it and don’t need DE?

Would be amazing. Would also cause the QQ of the year from all other classes bar none.

Remember the last time Mesmers got a buff? It was the mesmer community first who cried for their own nerfs.

It was the lowest low of Mesmers for all time : ( Even Kanye West cried.

in Mesmer

Posted by: zaxon.6819

zaxon.6819

ya. i like adding ways to produce clones..

Clone on weapon swap

create clone when you are disabled.. clone takes the disable. or crippled.. w/e works with balance. (wouldnt produce enough to come close to replacing de.. but maybe combined with other things)

Create clone when you shatter.. so you start with 1.

Clone producing skills produce 2 instead.

w/e works.

(edited by zaxon.6819)

in Mesmer

Posted by: zaxon.6819

zaxon.6819

Ya. I dont think mesmers could handle a buff after the big torment fiasco.

But it would be very exciting to free up DE and open so many spec options.

Same thing for alot of classes who are almost stuck in one trait line for every spec.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

@zaxon
Sometimes I muse how trait lines in general could have stronger theming. Then I consider what if say, an Illusions line would have 13 traits all about creating illusions (and similar for the other trait lines). Just 13 different flavours of which. Ofc, it’d be ~impossible to balance as in any given situation 1-3 would be optimal.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

What many of you may not understand is that in the Past, Mesmers got a handful of buffs and a lot of rather unfitting Nerfs (with 0 compensation).

Generally when our class has been handed a buff, its always been followed by a very swift and overdone nerf to something else.

Thats why, when the devs, tell us they’re going to buff something in a way we never asked for, our gut reaction is to say “Thank you, But we don’t want the echo of Nerfs next hotfix or patch. Can you just do X to Y or maybe just fix the bug on Z instead?”

Uncalled for Buffs on any class almost always means that it’s of 2 catagories.

1. It’s pointless and touches none of the core issues on a weapon or class and will continue to remain suboptimal and under used.

2. It’s overkill and causes issues, will be nerfed later or cause nerfs to hit other things that are valuable to multiple builds.

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

Chaos you and I have some unfinished dueling business.

Also, I like Pyros trait suggestion the best. The best way to deal with DE is to add more alternative forms of clone production, IMO. DE wouldn’t be so dominant if other trait lines offered a way to produce clones more rapidly.

Imagine if Wastrels Punishment spawned a clone on the enemy per interrupt. Suddenly lockdown Mesmer could go 6/2/6 or 6/2/0/0/6 without feeling screwed over.

Meeeeeh. Got to disagree.

Pyros suggestion sounds great at first glance. I see some issues, though. (Don’t slap me!)

• How does it work with Mirror Image?
  • How does it work with Sc#1? (Hrhr)
  • How is it balanced across all weapons? X/Sw would poop out Clones en masse.
  • Most Clone generating skills already grant a very sufficient amount of utility.
  • Most importantly: It doesn’t really fix the core issue.

For me personally, the real flaw/issue at hand is the insufficient baseline Clone generation of Mesmers. The baseline Clone generation has to be improved regardless of weapon choice or traits. This can only truly be achieved by making DE an innate class mechanic. Adding a new trait would probably add at least some build diversity. But at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter if you’re stuck with trait a) or trait b) if all builds require at least one of them anyway.

On the on interrupt idea: While creative most certainly hard to balance without a cooldown. It also bears the issue of not actually spawning Clones at the time you need them or overwriting existing ones when you don’t want to. Honestly, I would be pretty stressed if I had to micromanage my interrupts based on my Clones. It might even be counterproductive to the whole playstyle.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

Chaos you and I have some unfinished dueling business.

Also, I like Pyros trait suggestion the best. The best way to deal with DE is to add more alternative forms of clone production, IMO. DE wouldn’t be so dominant if other trait lines offered a way to produce clones more rapidly.

Imagine if Wastrels Punishment spawned a clone on the enemy per interrupt. Suddenly lockdown Mesmer could go 6/2/6 or 6/2/0/0/6 without feeling screwed over.

Meeeeeh. Got to disagree.

Pyros suggestion sounds great at first glance. I see some issues, though. (Don’t slap me!)

• How does it work with Mirror Image?
  • How does it work with Sc#1? (Hrhr)
  • How is it balanced across all weapons? X/Sw would poop out Clones en masse.
  • Most Clone generating skills already grant a very sufficient amount of utility.
  • Most importantly: It doesn’t really fix the core issue.

For me personally, the real flaw/issue at hand is the insufficient baseline Clone generation of Mesmers. The baseline Clone generation has to be improved regardless of weapon choice or traits. This can only truly be achieved by making DE an innate class mechanic. Adding a new trait would probably add at least some build diversity. But at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter if you’re stuck with trait a) or trait b) if all builds require at least one of them anyway.

On the on interrupt idea: While creative most certainly hard to balance without a cooldown. It also bears the issue of not actually spawning Clones at the time you need them or overwriting existing ones when you don’t want to. Honestly, I would be pretty stressed if I had to micromanage my interrupts based on my Clones. It might even be counterproductive to the whole playstyle.

and I’ll point out again that this is where this conversation always ends up.

Clones out the kitten

or should we ditch clones as a mechanic?

Too many clones all the time from too many sources would then require nerfs to other things to support it in the world of “balance”. Honestly i think anet would go for the balls first and take a huge chunk out of the Players base damage to compensate for always having the ability to shatter and have cover..

If we take away DE and don’t replace it with anything then why not just redo the class, we won’t have enough reliable or quick ways to get clones out…

anyway, I’ll go ahead and restate that I think DE (current) should just be a mesmer thing. If we can balance it against maybe small nerfs to some clone death traits or a minor increase in F1 recharge times idk.. whatever.

If we then keep DE on the trait bar and change it around to have functionality that is beneficial to having a lot of clones up it could actually itself open up a bit more diversity.

What if, baring clones are always created on a dodge without traits, DE, caused targeting “auto lock” drops on a dodge.

I’m not talking about stealth, just a target drop for half a second where in the enemy must re-click / tab or hope that rng doesn’t have him or her re-target your clones.

I could easily see that opening up some options for less PU reliance to “tank” up damage or help get Decoy off your utility bar.

Might even help in PvE to kite mobs and bosses around.

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

I think the main issue here is the whole mesmer mechanic is too dependent on clone production and clones in general.

Shatter needs clones
Death trait needs clones

but we also have subpar Utilities Thats why in every build you see common utilities over and over again.

I think that’s just your perception. I’ve successfully played a Mesmer condi build without DE. All it takes is for you to figure out how else you’ll be creating clones.

I dont wanna sound arrogant or anything but, would you like to put that build to test against me? I mean yeah i tried running without DE, in hotjoin it worked decent, also against unsuspecting foes, but when i go against higher rated matches and fellow mesmers from OMFG, running without DE is really hard, its like saying “Hey! Im here! hit me!” I feel so naked without it.

But again i do apologize for sounding like a scrub but I wanna see how you do it, maybe i can learn from you too! :p

It’s no problem dude. You actually didn’t sound like a scrub or arrogant, just like a person with an opinion.

And sure, I have a custom arena if you want to duel, just message me. And sorry it took so long to reply, I don’t spend to much time on the mesmer forums.

I think that stealth is a good replacement for DE. If you have stealth you can successfully perform the maneuvers you need to escape. In fact without DE, it’s harder to know where the mesmer is going in stealth.

And yea, add me in-game and message me if you want to duel.

Shatter needs clones
Death trait needs clones

This misses the point. It’s not that you can’t make a build without DE and run it with some measure of success. It’s that any build without DE will be suboptimal.

On top of this, within the framework of the game, you’ll be at a severe disadvantage against all other classes/meta builds if you don’t have the clone production capable with DE in play.

I understand the sub-optimability (say that 3 times and fast without blabbing) but what I’ve found is that all you need is a tad more patience and a lot of ingenuity.

For builds that don’t have stealth, yeap it’s definitely hard to run without DE but if you’ve got stealth, it’s definitely more than feasible.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

(edited by Dirame.8521)

in Mesmer

Ross Biddle.2367

Shatter needs clones
Death trait needs clones

I dont wanna sound arrogant or anything but, would you like to put that build to test against me? I mean yeah i tried running without DE, in hotjoin it worked decent, also against unsuspecting foes, but when i go against higher rated matches and fellow mesmers from OMFG, running without DE is really hard, its like saying “Hey! Im here! hit me!” I feel so naked without it.

But again i do apologize for sounding like a scrub but I wanna see how you do it, maybe i can learn from you too! :p

It’s no problem dude. You actually didn’t sound like a scrub or arrogant, just like a person with an opinion.

And sure, I have a custom arena if you want to duel, just message me. And sorry it took so long to reply, I don’t spend to much time on the mesmer forums.

I think that stealth is a good replacement for DE. If you have stealth you can successfully perform the maneuvers you need to escape. In fact without DE, it’s harder to know where the mesmer is going in stealth.

And yea, add me in-game and message me if you want to duel.

Shatter needs clones
Death trait needs clones

I understand the sub-optimability (say that 3 times and fast without blabbing) but what I’ve found is that all you need is a tad more patience and a lot of ingenuity.

For builds that don’t have stealth, yeap it’s definitely hard to run without DE but if you’ve got stealth, it’s definitely more than feasible.

Yes but Stealth + patience + ingenuity + DE > Stealth + Patience + ingenuity.

Every player has the option to bring patience and ingenuity. You don’t have to trait it. Therefor DE will be the decider.

in Mesmer

Posted by: killahmayne.9518

killahmayne.9518

Putting it as a minor trait is a bit of a cop out and a band-aid fix. However I’m afraid if it is a master minor, it won’t make a huge difference. You still have to trait 3 into dueling no matter what, and it leaves you with 1 extra trait point.

For example for a normal 4/4/0/0/6 shatter build. With the change it would be a 4/3/0/0/6 with the freedom to put the last trait point anywhere. However, putting it in domination only gives you the 5% extra damage when somebody uses a skill and putting it in chaos and inspiration literally makes no difference to a build. So you end up putting it in dueling anyway. Yes there are some nice options in the dueling trait line, however it does not promote diversity at all whatsoever or change the fact that mesmer is still largely tied to DE. It is almost like the CI situation with Warrior, except mesmers lack options for clone generation outside DE.

Making it an inherent class mechanic isn’t the answer either I believe. Because in the process you break certain builds that may in fact be hindered by clone generation. And also giving such an amazing mechanic for free, you would have to do alot of re balancing and just doesn’t make sense either.

Moving DE to an Adept trait is also a bit of a band-aid/cop-out fix, but most likely the most effective and best way to do it in the short-term. And is kind of the middle ground between making it an inherent mechanic and having to trait for it. You open up diversity for sure. For example, perhaps you could go a Power Lock Shatter build (6/2/0/0/6). A shatter build with more condi removal (4/2/0/2/6). Or PU Power Lock (6/2/6/0/0). Or PU Shatter (0/2/6/0/6) or shatter support (0/2/0/6/6). There could be some interesting builds. However the argument would be that is 2 points too little of an investment. Then again there are many traits in this game that are strong and easy to invest.

Or what I think is the best way, design other traits that can generate clones as well. Here are some trait ideas

- Generate a clone every 10 seconds
- Each time you attack, you have a 20% chance of generating a clone
- Any clone generating attack generates two clones instead (excludes phantasms)
- Channeling and using Mantras produces clones

Mace/Greatsword Video (Sept Patch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoAjKtD6MLY

(edited by killahmayne.9518)

in Mesmer

Ross Biddle.2367

I’m still pro two clones on scepter AA

Yes please : D

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos.3579

Chaos.3579

Putting it as a minor trait is a bit of a cop out and a band-aid fix. However I’m afraid if it is a master minor, it won’t make a huge difference. You still have to trait 3 into dueling no matter what, and it leaves you with 1 extra trait point.

For example for a normal 4/4/0/0/6 shatter build. With the change it would be a 4/3/0/0/6 with the freedom to put the last trait point anywhere. However, putting it in domination only gives you the 5% extra damage when somebody uses a skill and putting it in chaos and inspiration literally makes no difference to a build. So you end up putting it in dueling anyway. Yes there are some nice options in the dueling trait line, however it does not promote diversity at all whatsoever or change the fact that mesmer is still largely tied to DE. It is almost like the CI situation with Warrior, except mesmers lack options for clone generation outside DE.

Making it an inherent class mechanic isn’t the answer either I believe. Because in the process you break certain builds that may in fact be hindered by clone generation. And also giving such an amazing mechanic for free, you would have to do alot of re balancing and just doesn’t make sense either.

Moving DE to an Adept trait is also a bit of a band-aid/cop-out fix, but most likely the most effective and best way to do it in the short-term. And is kind of the middle ground between making it an inherent mechanic and having to trait for it. You open up diversity for sure. For example, perhaps you could go a Power Lock Shatter build (6/2/0/0/6). A shatter build with more condi removal (4/2/0/0/6). Or PU Power Lock (6/2/6/0/0). Or PU Shatter (0/2/6/0/6) or shatter support (0/2/0/6/6). There could be some interesting builds. However the argument would be that is 2 points too little of an investment. Then again there are many traits in this game that are strong and easy to invest.

Or what I think is the best way, design other traits that can generate clones as well. Here are some trait ideas

The point of Placing DE as a master minor trait in dueling was not to give Mesmers 1 additional trait point. It’s to allow viable access to the dueling master traits formally overshadowed by DE to the point that you had to trait 6 points in dueling in order to use another dueling master trait instead of a grandmaster trait(because you HAVE to run DE in the master section or be unviable). Or you did not run a different dueling master at all.

So yes although the change is slight it offers tons more diversity.

However as I have said before in order to allow builds such as 6 2 6 (lockdown) to be viable DE would have to be placed in dueling adept minor thus moving critical infusion to dueling master minor, and placing sharper images in to the dueling adept selectable section.
This would be the most logical movement of the effected traits without effecting the viable diversity of the adept and master trait selection areas.(sharper images is not a staple in a power build. While critical infusion and DE is in every build. The idea is to not have a staple in a selectable trait section because it overshadows everything.)

However i honestly doubt that anet would place DE as the adept minor trait. 4 trait points investment to 1 is a big change.

If they do something it will Most likely be that they would place it as the dueling master minor trait and perhaps add other clone generation traits/revamps in other trees.

But hay if I’m wrong and they do place it as the dueling adept minor trait great!

Let’s just hope they don’t nerf some stuff in the process……because you know how much anet loves trolling us by fixing stuff while breaking everything else Mesmer does.
cough cough i leap……

(edited by Chaos.3579)

in Mesmer

Posted by: killahmayne.9518

killahmayne.9518

Moving DE to an Adept trait is also a bit of a band-aid/cop-out fix, but most likely the most effective and best way to do it in the short-term. And is kind of the middle ground between making it an inherent mechanic and having to trait for it. You open up diversity for sure. For example, perhaps you could go a Power Lock Shatter build (6/2/0/0/6). A shatter build with more condi removal (4/2/0/0/6). Or PU Power Lock (6/2/6/0/0). Or PU Shatter (0/2/6/0/6) or shatter support (0/2/0/6/6). There could be some interesting builds. However the argument would be that is 2 points too little of an investment. Then again there are many traits in this game that are strong and easy to invest.

The point of Placing DE as a master minor trait in dueling was not to give Mesmers 1 additional trait point. It’s to allow viable access to the dueling master traits formally overshadowed by DE to the point that you had to trait 6 points in dueling in order to use another dueling master trait instead of a grandmaster trait(because you HAVE to run DE in the master section or be unviable). Or you did not run a different dueling master at all.

So yes although the change is slight it offers tons more diversity.

However as I have said before in order to allow builds such as 6 2 6 (lockdown) to be viable DE would have to be placed in dueling adept minor thus moving critical infusion to dueling master minor, and placing sharper images in to the dueling adept selectable section.
This would be the most logical movement of the effected traits without effecting the viable diversity of the adept and master trait selection areas.(sharper images is not a staple in a power build. While critical infusion and DE is in every build. The idea is to not have a staple in a selectable trait section because it overshadows everything.)

However i honestly doubt that anet would place DE as the adept minor trait. 4 trait points investment to 1 is a big change.

If they do something it will Most likely be that they would place it as the dueling master minor trait and perhaps add other clone generation traits/revamps in other trees.

But hay if I’m wrong and they do place it as the dueling adept minor trait great!

Let’s just hope they don’t nerf some stuff in the process……because you know how much anet loves trolling us by fixing stuff while breaking everything else Mesmer does.
cough cough i leap……

If you didn’t notice I did mention that there are some good options in the Dueling trait line that this opens up, however this does not create “tons of diversity” at all if placed as a master minor trait. All you create is an extra trait option, you don’t open up different builds which is what I consider diversity. All it would allow is phantasm builds to take phantasmal fury and maybe pistol cooldown and manipulation range. Or a shatter build to take sword cooldown and manipulation range, the build is still the same. It hardly changes any said builds at all and you don’t create completely new trait combinations thus creating different builds.

Mace/Greatsword Video (Sept Patch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoAjKtD6MLY

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Yes but Stealth + patience + ingenuity + DE > Stealth + Patience + ingenuity.

Every player has the option to bring patience and ingenuity. You don’t have to trait it. Therefor DE will be the decider.

Hehe, nah. If one player has DE and the other doesn’t and they both have the same skill level, it will come down to who screws up the most.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

Too many clones all the time from too many sources would then require nerfs to other things to support it in the world of “balance”. Honestly i think anet would go for the balls first and take a huge chunk out of the Players base damage to compensate for always having the ability to shatter and have cover.

That’s not 100% true. There wouldn’t have to be any significant nerfs (besides getting rid of the current DE) if the average level of Clone generation would remain the same across most Mesmer builds. As it is now, most Mesmer builds do run DE with few exceptions (Phantasm / Support). This means that removing DE would require Mesmers to receive options to generate about 6-12 additional Clones per minute.

Of course, this isn’t as easy as it sounds in theory if you want to achieve this goal through traits or skills. That’s why I personally favor making DE innate to the Mesmer class mechanic and putting a CD on it to balance the Clone generation.

If we take away DE and don’t replace it with anything then why not just redo the class, we won’t have enough reliable or quick ways to get clones out…

The class mechanic is fine. Ressource generation is not. So why change the mechanic?

anyway, I’ll go ahead and restate that I think DE (current) should just be a mesmer thing. If we can balance it against maybe small nerfs to some clone death traits or a minor increase in F1 recharge times idk.. whatever.

As I said, I’d like to have DE as part of the class mechanic with a cooldown (e.g. “Create a Clone when you dodge. Doesn’t activate if 3 Phantasms are active.” CD 10s). The DE trait could be replaced with Confusion-on-dodge (see Warriors or Engineers evade trait) and Confusing Combatants could grant a 5% damage bonus for you (and your Illusions?) against confused targets.

No need to nerf any other traits or cooldowns. Shatter builds would gain an additional trait slot and a lot of build diversity but will have about 50% less Clones from dodging which should easily compensate for the gained benefits.

in Mesmer

Ross Biddle.2367

Too many clones all the time from too many sources would then require nerfs to other things to support it in the world of “balance”. Honestly i think anet would go for the balls first and take a huge chunk out of the Players base damage to compensate for always having the ability to shatter and have cover.

That’s not 100% true. There wouldn’t have to be any significant nerfs (besides getting rid of the current DE) if the average level of Clone generation would remain the same across most Mesmer builds. As it is now, most Mesmer builds do run DE with few exceptions (Phantasm / Support). This means that removing DE would require Mesmers to receive options to generate about 6-12 additional Clones per minute.

Of course, this isn’t as easy as it sounds in theory if you want to achieve this goal through traits or skills. That’s why I personally favor making DE innate to the Mesmer class mechanic and putting a CD on it to balance the Clone generation.

The class mechanic is fine. Ressource generation is not. So why change the mechanic?

As I said, I’d like to have DE as part of the class mechanic with a cooldown (e.g. “Create a Clone when you dodge. Doesn’t activate if 3 Phantasms are active.” CD 10s). The DE trait could be replaced with Confusion-on-dodge (see Warriors or Engineers evade trait) and Confusing Combatants could grant a 5% damage bonus for you (and your Illusions?) against confused targets.

No need to nerf any other traits or cooldowns. Shatter builds would gain an additional trait slot and a lot of build diversity but will have about 50% less Clones from dodging which should easily compensate for the gained benefits.

You’re fired. Pack up your things and leave the office immediately.

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

The best suggestions I’ve seen on how to best handle this without making it a default class mechanic are adding other ways to generate clones outside of DE. Because let’s be honest, taking a powerful 4 point trait and just giving it to us by default is never going to happen.

Creating new traits

^ Many other creative things could come from this concept.

Adding functionality to our weapon recharge traits

^ Taking Pyro’s idea further – limiting the extra clone to the weapon specific CD trait so we can get some additional clone generation in the adept and master trees.

Add DE by default but with 5s ICD

^ This is one of best I’ve seen. So by default we get a clone on dodge with an internal CD, but we can still trait DE if we want the current functionality. ICD may need to be higher, not sure, but I think I like this concept the best.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

@xaylin

To be fair, our class mechanic is not really ok. Our actual class-bar isn’t context-free. We cannot utilize shatter on its own, and we don’t automatically generate its resource, Scepter excepted. We have to utilize specific skills.

Comparing them directly, it’d make much more sense to move clone/phantasm generation onto the F-bar (or at least clone generation), while having weapon abilities which consume a clone when available to produce an effect. Effectively swapping the two mechanics.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Seyiwaji.4082

Seyiwaji.4082

thanks for all your answer, i could make my mind.
i guess it is better that it stays the way it is now.

in Mesmer

Posted by: pmauriks.5623

pmauriks.5623

I used to play a mesmer in Guild Wars (the original). In the original Guild Wars, the whole mechanic was not tied to illusions and phantasms. Many of the skills required timing and skill to maximise the effects. Naturally, when I started Guild Wars 2, I began with a Mesmer – anticipating it to be a challenging class to run effectively.

My first impressions were that it was different, and that I didn’t like the differences. I persisted because I thought some of the skills and traits would become evident at higher levels. They didn’t.

I’ve learned to like the ‘new’ mesmer, but I still think it lost some ‘soul’ in the transition from GW1 to GW2. How about a trait that instead of DE, gives reflection for 3 seconds instead, in perhaps the domination line . . . and another that gives regeneration in a 120 or so radius on the inspiration line. That ought to free up a little the ability to explore wider variety builds.

Just my thoughts.

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

I’ve learned to like the ‘new’ mesmer, but I still think it lost some ‘soul’ in the transition from GW1 to GW2.

That “soul” being lost is that nowadays, this MMORPG has one combat-role. Let’s just call it “role”. People tend to say it’s DPS, but that term loses all meaning when you got no other role to contrast it against.

Back in the days where GW1 released, you have six such roles (WoW was the game which threw away the three with problematic/binary stacking to improve group cohesion at the cost of class identity): Damage, Soaking, Healing, Control, Buffing, Debuffing. Mesmers in GW2 were something between a Debuffer and a Control class, though the latter came more due to the mechanics of the game than actual CC effects.