Mesmer change for future balance

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

I propose swapping two tier 3 traits: Deceptive Evasion in Dueling Tree and Power block in the Domination Tree. Domination trait line is definitely more about shatters, so I think being able to spawn more clones would be better in that tree. I’m not sure about this, but it doesn’t seem like many people are taking Power Block because Mental Anguish seems like a much better choice if you’re running a burst build. But being able spawn more clones may be a competitive trait that could compete with it.

I think Power block would be better in dueling tree because it would be an alternative to the condi interrupt trait, Mistrust that provides confusion on interrupt. I think that’s an awesome trait, but if someonen isn’t running condi, and isn’t attracted to mantra builds, then that just leave deceptive evasion. In pve, all that does is overwrite phantasm, and in pvp it is more resources to shatter, but as i said, that trait would be better in Domination. Power block feels more like a dueling trait to me because it’s a strong trait in 1v1 situations, and it would add more flavor to the dueling tree.

Second, I think using Arcane Thievery to send conditions back to a target should use the Condition Damage stat of the player who the conditions were initially applied by. The best way to use this skill is to wait for many stacks of conditions and then sending it back to the enemy. But right now, this utility seems heavily leaned toward condi builds. As a power build, I send back 17 stacks of confusion and torment, and it ticks for 27 damage per second, instead of the hundreds of damage it would have done to me.

TLDR: Swap Power Block in domination tree with Deceptive Evasion in Dueling Tree. Make Arcane Thievery use the condition stat of the player that initially put the conditions on me. Thank you.

(edited by Hot Boy.7138)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

Not a good idea. Domination and dueling lines are as good as they are.

You don’t want power block and mantra builds to be mutually exclusive.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

I’m quite sure arenanet are happy with Deceptive Evasion being in the dueling line.

They moved it from tier 2 to tier 3 a very long time back due to balance team wanting it to be less easy to reach. Putting it back in Domination which is a go-to trait line ever since the game launched would just increase the availability of DE.

Would having Deceptive Evasion in domination and Chronophantasm in Chronomancer be nice in current meta builds? Sure, but the illusion availability might be just a tad to much. We can already use most of our shatters on cd.

in Mesmer

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Like Exciton said, moving Power Block to T3 dueling line would make it compete with harmonious mantras, and yet a large part of an interrupt build on core mesmer is using MoD to get that interrupt off, so this would destroy any potential synergy that build could have. The only change those traits need is that I think Power Block should be updated to work on thief weapon skills

in Mesmer

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Power Block and Deceptive evasion are fine where they are, and either way moving them wouldn’t make sense since it wouldn’t fit the theme of the trees, duelist is all about evading attacks, causing blinds, and using a weapons a duelist would (sword, guns), where domination, much like in GW1, is about asserting your will over your enemy and making them take more damage, removing boons, and shutting them down with interrupts.

I mean cmon, you can’t say dueling is more about interrupts than Dom when Dom has minor traits that give you benefits for using CC

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

Right now mesmer can shatter 21 times back to back. Aka blind 21 times back to back. Apply 21* however many clones of torment and confusion and healing health up 21 times while removing conditions 21 times. Maybe start with that.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

in Mesmer

Hot Boy.7138

Power Block and Deceptive evasion are fine where they are, and either way moving them wouldn’t make sense since it wouldn’t fit the theme of the trees, duelist is all about evading attacks, causing blinds, and using a weapons a duelist would (sword, guns), where domination, much like in GW1, is about asserting your will over your enemy and making them take more damage, removing boons, and shutting them down with interrupts.

I mean cmon, you can’t say dueling is more about interrupts than Dom when Dom has minor traits that give you benefits for using CC

There are interrupt traits in a few trees, not just in Domination.

in Mesmer

Hot Boy.7138

Right now mesmer can shatter 21 times back to back. Aka blind 21 times back to back. Apply 21* however many clones of torment and confusion and healing health up 21 times while removing conditions 21 times. Maybe start with that.

I agree that some characteristics of mesmer should be toned down. But this isn’t a thread about that. You can make a thread for that. I’ll even hop on and show support. I wouldn’t try to derail it by talking about things I feel is more important.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

I agree that some characteristics of mesmer should be toned down. But this isn’t a thread about that. You can make a thread for that. I’ll even hop on and show support. I wouldn’t try to derail it by talking about things I feel is more important.

He is not derailing the thread. He is poiting out that the way the 2 traits mentioned are placed they already provide good synergies.

Switching the 2 traits around the way you suggested would directly affect the amount of shatters available. Thus he is expressing concern that this would not be in the classes best interest except for you wanting a trait in your build which you can’t have since you are not taking Dueling.

in Mesmer

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Ah ha ha ha ha

This is rediculous, honestly no-one would do this in combat and that’s without mentioning it would be very difficult to have shatter fodder for this after iReversion changes.

I mean this is right up there with saying burst ele with sceptre can burst 20-30k, sure they can but it’s not really feasible especially with it so well telegraphed.

As for the OP, no I think swapping these traits is a terrible idea as DE then competes with Mental Anguish making power shatter builds worse off overall. Power block doesn’t fit the dueling line as it’s a power trait not a crit or condi trait. You can make an arguement harmonious mantras doesn’t fit in dueling either as it’s a power damage buff but that’s not what you have brought up.

(edited by apharma.3741)

in Mesmer

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

He is not derailing the thread. He is poiting out that the way the 2 traits mentioned are placed they already provide good synergies.

He actually isn’t. He didn’t mention anything about interrupts there, he was just going off on a tangent, its not at all related.