Mesmer class, what are we now?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Samiell.1259

Samiell.1259

Last post lasted a grand total of 3 minutes. Closed because we can’t complain on the forums. To alleviate this ill describe what the major issue here is, ask for feed back then arrive at the same result. So here we go.
Major concerns post patch.
1. None of the class bugs were addressed and we have no feed back on the state of the class.
2. Los issue with all phantasm summons making it difficult to enter a fight and be sure of your abilities and/or whether they’ll work when commanded to.
3. Oops, we accidentally broke your only good aoe ability. ( we have feedback on this issue so thank you for that)
4. Completely changed how the entire class, regardless of spec, generates illusions. The 2 part action ( summon illusion then illusion attack) has been changed to act as an attack. So if you happen to be in WvW as any class and you’re in the mix of things running swords. There are more than enough blinds, blocks, ageis, dodges and invulnerable going around that you may be able to get one illusion off before you miserably die. Why die? Because without illusions we have little to very little mitigation.
To keep this thread here, what spec can we work with that wont be effected by the above bugs and broken abilities? I’d like to know because Mesmer is the only reason I even played the game.

Black Ops supply line disruptions.

in Mesmer

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

#2:

I know, it’s horrible that you should be expected to land your skills like other players… as in no dodges, blinds, LoS etc. Terrible. How can you possibly play under these conditions?

That’s pretty much how dodging works buddy. I suggest you try counting how many times your opponent uses it before unloading your best moves. Kinda like when you play any other class.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Halal Hulam.5429

Halal Hulam.5429

I know your feelings exactly.
In the beta I tried out a lot of classes and i felt that mesmer is the weakest in pve by far. I told myself that it’s only because that’s the hardest class and if I learn how to play with him than I will be as good as the others.
I just love the conception of the class, even in gw1 I only played mesmer and cleared the HoM with him and heroes because i didn’t have anyone to play with. All in all I started with the mesmer class and i still really love him, but now when I finnaly can play with my friends I feel that I’m useless (compared to them). In every patch I’m waiting for a buff like “the phantasm doesn’t have less health than the clones” or at least for a bug-fix of the basic phantasm traits, but every time I only see nerf (and a bug fix now, now only (if my memory is correct) 3 bugged phantasm trait).
I only play pve and when I tryed out pvp I really do felt that mesmer is a god and needs to be nerfed a little (he can be countered in pvp, but most of the enemys don’t play good enough to do it). But I would like to know that why can’t be our skills become separated in pve and pvp like the guardians and balance it that way?
Oh and if I’m wrong please help me with builds, because wherever I looked at I never found a build, which makes a mesmer a better choice than any other class in pve. I know that our combo fields are the strongest of the game, but that’s all i can think of and it doesn’t really give us too much versatility if we need to use them always.

(And I’m really sorry about my english, I know that it’s horrible : )

in Mesmer

Posted by: Halal Hulam.5429

Halal Hulam.5429

fadeaway: that was a ctr+c, ctr+v of your other post and even than it wasn’t constructive at all.

in Mesmer

fadeaway.2807

It wasn’t meant to be constructive, it was fact. I don’t see many other fire and forget skills which require no thinking about dodge, blind, immunity, blocking etc that do as much damage as phantasms. Everyone else has to play with these things in mind, I can’t think of any reason mesmers should not have to do so.

Yes I play a mesmer in hotjoin fairly often, yes it was easymode. And that’s coming from a thief.

(edited by fadeaway.2807)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Osicat.4139

Osicat.4139

Shatter specc is not in anyvway as affected by the phantasm generation change. I also by some use of stunns distraction, cripple etc nerly always get my Iwarlock and duelist out, then ofc after 1 st attack I shatter them.

I dont say al have to be shatter spec or that even the shatter spec is the only viable way, not long ago we were a minority that overcomplicated the class and destroyed the fantastic phantasms that ppl saw as the source of renegation, dmg and condition. Who knows soon somone find a way that works fantastic for them that not alot of ppl play and wirk well with bew game changes,

In general, I played MMOs for 8+ years, I have always sticked to 1 class and adaped to whatever changes they throw at us, sometimes I have totaly changed playstyle etc. Its about exprement constantly.

Think they said it best in 300

- our nerfs wil darken the sky
- then we will fight in the shadow.

/osicat

Im sure this posetive attitude will anoy some ppl but I think its alot more effective to adapt and find ways that work thean go al depressed by every change. Mmo,s change al tine. Its about swim thru a river not thru a lake.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mek.2947

Mek.2947

And that’s coming from a thief.

^
||
splains it.

Your class can use the #2 sword skill to port to the target, do damage, and then click the button again to port back to your original location. If someone blocks you when you port to the target you still get to port back. All aspects of that ability were not shut down from one block/blind/aegis etc….so it’s kinda funny that you come on this forum trolling about dodging and landing attacks.

in Mesmer

Samiell.1259

It wasn’t meant to be constructive, it was fact. I don’t see many other fire and forget skills which require no thinking about dodge, blind, immunity, blocking etc that do as much damage as phantasms. Everyone else has to play with these things in mind, I can’t think of any reason mesmers should not have to do so.

Yes I play a mesmer in hotjoin fairly often, yes it was easymode. And that’s coming from a thief.

I understand your reasoning and you’re right. I am also right though. For another class to have an ability negated from block, dodge ect.. Isn’t a big dent in their dps. The bulk of all other classes do 80 to 100% of their own damage and have their mitigation skills linked to utilities etc. since you play a Mesmer you’ll accknowlage that our own dps is pretty lacking. Mesmers do 40% damage, illusions 60%ish.
I do watch blocks and blinds etc.. but when a boon from someone else pops in there and my phantasm goes on a 12 second cool down that’s almost 3 series of attacks that never made it to a target. Not to mention an emergency f4. I think there could have been some middle ground instead of a no summon due to dodging or whatever. Perhaps summon illusion and 2 seconds pass before attack. Something, anything but this. I was rolling a 0/20/20/30/0 heal/focus spec with mantras woven in. Keeping phantasms up in the correct spots on field was almost impossible due to waiting for an opportunity to summon in a regen phantasm. This falls back onto buggy traits to though. Regen over riden by furry.
I’m rambling on now. I understand you man. I’d like the same respect back though.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Winds.3087

Winds.3087

Mesmers do 40% damage, illusions 60%ish.

That’s true only with phantasm builds.

in Mesmer

Samiell.1259

Support, phantasm, reflect and healing build to be exact. Leaves a cornered shatter build as the only working/viable build left. Just wasn’t my play style but if I want to keep using my toon I guess that’s all that’s left.

in Mesmer

Posted by: PaZZo.5724

PaZZo.5724

I am a mesmer, and i think you’re not only over reacting, you’re just absolutely wrong.

It was OP, unblanced, and idiotic that we could keep dishing out damage even if we had no los, or were blinded, and so on and so forth.

in Mesmer

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

The patch came out 5 days ago why are people so impatient. Tweak for 15% more damage to kind of help the loss until then. Talking about the accidental nerf to damage to zerker over and over agan is not going to speed up them fixing it. LOS is not going to go back to the way it was you just have to move on and adjust.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vendris.4201

Vendris.4201

Please have some sort of clue as to what you are talking about before you make snide comments that show that you do not understand the issue that is being talked about.

Here is the current state of trying to hit someone with the illusionary beserker:

1. Hit GS#4 to try to summon the beserker. This will fail and initiate the cooldown cycle if 1) you are blinded 2) the opponent dodges 3) you are actually obstructed 4) you are “obstructed” even though you are in a wide open field with nothing between you and your opponent at all because LoS is buggy.

2. If you get past #1, the beserker summons. A good majority of the time thanks to the new bug introduced last patch, the beserker will now proceed to miss with most of it’s first attack chain, doing little to no damage…

3. Of course, after the dodge check for the initial summon, the opponent can still dodge the beserker itself after it summons, meaning that outside of the bugs, your target still gets multiple chances to dodge.

This situation is clearly not “like every other class.”

People who don’t play mesmers, don’t understand the mechanics, and don’t understand the current bugs don’t need to be a part of this discussion.

#2:

I know, it’s horrible that you should be expected to land your skills like other players… as in no dodges, blinds, LoS etc. Terrible. How can you possibly play under these conditions?

That’s pretty much how dodging works buddy. I suggest you try counting how many times your opponent uses it before unloading your best moves. Kinda like when you play any other class.

in Mesmer

Vendris.4201

The bug where clones do not get a map completion star over their head was acknowledged as a bug by the dev team at least 4 patches ago. People are impatient because they have lost confidence that the bug will actually be addressed outside of a developer saying “yup, that’s a bug!”.

The patch came out 5 days ago why are people so impatient. Tweak for 15% more damage to kind of help the loss until then. Talking about the accidental nerf to damage to zerker over and over agan is not going to speed up them fixing it. LOS is not going to go back to the way it was you just have to move on and adjust.

in Mesmer

Samiell.1259

I am a mesmer, and i think you’re not only over reacting, you’re just absolutely wrong.

It was OP, unblanced, and idiotic that we could keep dishing out damage even if we had no los, or were blinded, and so on and so forth.

I’m not saying we didn’t need a nerf. I was rolling through 3 people at a time in w3. What I’m saying is that the nerf broke a lot more stuff. There is a middle ground. The overreaction is on the Game host side of the nerf. IMO, we should be able to summon a clone as long as there is a target. Whether or not it connects would depend on if we’re blinded etc… Example being that the Mesmer is controlling the illusion and if the Mesmer is blinded, the illusion would miss the attack. I don’t care about that change, I’m angry that I lost the phantasm all together. No phantasm=no utility from it and no damage over the entire cool down.
A Elementalist can blind every 8 seconds iirc. If they kill the other phantasm we summon on our offset weapons we have nothing for the duration of 2 long cool downs.
Thanks for your point of view. I agree with part of it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

The bug where clones do not get a map completion star over their head was acknowledged as a bug by the dev team at least 4 patches ago. People are impatient because they have lost confidence that the bug will actually be addressed outside of a developer saying “yup, that’s a bug!”.

A little off-topic, but something I would like to know… Why is that star visible to enemy players at all? It’s a disincentive for any class, not just the mesmer, to get world completion.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sanxxx.5126

Sanxxx.5126

LOS is not going to go back to the way it was you just have to move on and adjust.

I can understand that, my issue is I can’t understand exactly what LOS is needed.

I can see the defender on the tower, im fact I can see 50% of him, I have LOS…yet I cant hit him..obstructed, a slight bump in the rode…..obstructed.

It’s as if the hitbox for all chars is their little toe.

in Mesmer

Samiell.1259

LOS is not going to go back to the way it was you just have to move on and adjust.

I can understand that, my issue is I can’t understand exactly what LOS is needed.

I can see the defender on the tower, im fact I can see 50% of him, I have LOS…yet I cant hit him..obstructed, a slight bump in the rode…..obstructed.

It’s as if the hitbox for all chars is their little toe.

^^ This is the Los issue I was speaking about. Sorry for the mix up. The Los thing, where If you had a player targeted on a wall and the jumped behind it you could still hit them with Izerker was kitten Lol, I abused the hell out of it but it did need to get fixed and it did….kinda. Now we have los issues when targeting a player on a slight incline straight infront of us, it says obstructed.

in Mesmer

Samiell.1259

If we had any feedback at all, even them saying they have read through player known bugs and will be addressing them in a future patch. I’d be appeased. I don’t think it’s to much to ask. A response. That’s it. “We understand the Player concerns and will be addressing them as we can” ___________ insert dev name, moderator name.
Please? Pretty please? I make beer for a living… I’ll send ya some

in Mesmer

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

#2:

No bro, as it is right now we have to land all our skills twice.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hudry.3489

Hudry.3489

3. Of course, after the dodge check for the initial summon, the opponent can still dodge the beserker itself after it summons, meaning that outside of the bugs, your target still gets multiple chances to dodge.

That’s why I don’t understand these changes at all. Anyone could already dodge phantasm attacks. Now you can dodge the summon, and if you fail, you can still dodge the actual attack. You don’t have one chance to dodge, you have two. And people say it’s like every other class ? No, it’s not.
As far as I know, other classes AOE are still being cast when you are blinded. Just the first hit misses. With a mesmer phantasm (warden, berserker), there won’t even be an aoe, you just go on cooldown.
Why would aegis block a phantasm that would normally hit 10 times, while other classes will only get their first hit blocked?
You can even dodge a defensive phantasm. Can I dodge other classes protections? I don’t see any sense in that.

If I’m blinded, why not just summon a blinded phantasm. This would make sense, at least.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

@ Fade

Before you could dodge the illusions attacks just as you can with thieves guilds “phantoms” or any other damage from a non-player source. Now you can dodge the initial creating of the illusion AND their attack.

@ Hudry

Same with any multi hitting attack. If they are blind, the first hit misses. The entire attack doesn’t cease to exist.

We have the drawbacks of summons AND attacks with our phantoms and clones right now without of the benefits of either. This obviously is unfair and needs to be changed.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Mesmer

Posted by: korelg.7862

korelg.7862

the only thing i agree with op is the LoS issue, i’m sorry but i find stupid the need of LoS for illusions, illusions are not like any other attack cause it works also like a summon skill, and their attack is also subject to LoS, dodges, blinds, etc… so our damage is being negated twice, once when summoning and then when our illusion attacks… so yeah, illusions should at least be free of LoS, and also dodge, kitten!! how the kitten can you dodge a friggin illusion?!?!

in Mesmer

Posted by: xlion.3065

xlion.3065

Wow, this LOS issues drive me crazy. If the terrain isn’t flat as a table surface or I’m not standing on elevated ground …

in Mesmer

fadeaway.2807

Man, I wish people like Vendris would actually play the class in question before commenting.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Ah, so every other class has their opponents get two chances to dodge their attacks, too?
kitten didn’t know that. Sorry.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

fadeaway.2807

Well most other attacks only fire once as opposed to multiple times.
Anyway, anet know the score, that’s why this change was made.

Besides , you should be thankful lit doesn’t have an obvious animation, your enemy will be blowing dodges early thinking you will bring out phantasms early. Use that to your advantage, psyche out your opponent in the same way 100b warriors do then nail them.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Oh, I’m having fun. It was horribly frustrating to play Mesmer at first, then I stopped doing sPvP, and now all is awesome. We rock in WvW (since the Portal-nerf did completely the wrong thing we retain basically our entire power there), and PvE is as usual unkillable-fun (and I got partymembers for tagging :P ).

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Winds.3087

Winds.3087

My greatsword gathers dust and I don’t like the way staff is dealing damage!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

The illusionary berserker was not the reason mesmers are strong in PvP. The change heavily affects PvE though.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Mesmer

Vendris.4201

Man, I wish people like Vendris would actually play the class in question before commenting.

obvious troll is obvious.

in Mesmer

Vendris.4201

Yeah – I’m really not having much trouble getting my phantasms actually out, outside of the “obstructed!” messages that pop up on perfectly flat terrain due to general line of sight bugs in the game.

The ibeserker attack bug however definitely affected one of my builds. The opening for the greatsword shatter build I used to run was pistol 4 (duelist for initial burst) + pistol 5 (for stun) + iberserker (for initial ibserker attack damage) + GS #2 (for damage and then shatter.

The ibeserker routinely missing on it’s first attack reduces the damage of that opening quite a bit.

The “can’t summon when blocked / blinded” I can live with. It hasn’t affected me that much in WvW. The ibeserker attack bug however makes me sad, as it reduces the flexibility of the class until it is fixed.

Shatter specc is not in anyvway as affected by the phantasm generation change. I also by some use of stunns distraction, cripple etc nerly always get my Iwarlock and duelist out, then ofc after 1 st attack I shatter them.

I dont say al have to be shatter spec or that even the shatter spec is the only viable way, not long ago we were a minority that overcomplicated the class and destroyed the fantastic phantasms that ppl saw as the source of renegation, dmg and condition. Who knows soon somone find a way that works fantastic for them that not alot of ppl play and wirk well with bew game changes,

In general, I played MMOs for 8+ years, I have always sticked to 1 class and adaped to whatever changes they throw at us, sometimes I have totaly changed playstyle etc. Its about exprement constantly.

Think they said it best in 300

- our nerfs wil darken the sky
- then we will fight in the shadow.

/osicat

Im sure this posetive attitude will anoy some ppl but I think its alot more effective to adapt and find ways that work thean go al depressed by every change. Mmo,s change al tine. Its about swim thru a river not thru a lake.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

We should have expected it really. People thought the idea of learning to kill our Phantasms was obscene in PvP so instead of getting better they just complained. If they don’t want to bother killing our illusions why should they have to dodge or mitigate them either? Too hard, they just want to smash things with their sword or do 20k+ damage while perma stealthed, the don’t want to think.

I can’t wait for the eventual patch in a year or so that make Rangers worth while and let their pets hit on the move. Then the people complaining about Mesmers can start complaining again and next patch will probably cause Ranger pets to despawn whenever Rangers are blind.

I don find it funny that one of the few classes with multiple viable builds has been slowly pushed towards shatter with every patch.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tekla.2139

Tekla.2139

In contribution to this discussion Vendris has clearly given far more than you, here ppl are having a discussion on how the mesmer class is effectively put on a different plane of reality.
As far I’m concerned, no other class is denied the use of their skill to the point that is rendered useless.
So, what if confusion would fulfill it’s initial purpose;
“The caster in the client-side of the opponent become a clone, if the opponent is facing the caster all their skill for the conditioning duration will be put under cooldwon.” Like Dwayna confusion for instance.
So OP right? most skill are in fact actually doing that right now on the mesmer – don’t you find the outcome funny?.
Whiners at their full galore.

#2:

Yea, it’s also funny when you meet a troll thief who like to: roll-roll-blind-roll-invi+blind-roll-roll-invi+blind-roll-roll-blind-roll-invi+blind-roll-roll-invi+blind-roll-roll-blind-roll-invi+blind-roll-roll-invi+blind-roll-roll-blind-roll-invi+blind-roll-roll-invi+blind-roll-roll-blind-roll-invi+blind-roll-roll-invi+blind-roll-roll-blind-roll-invi+blind-roll-roll-invi+blind-roll-roll-blind-roll-invi+blind-roll-roll-invi+blind-roll-roll-blind-roll-invi+blind-roll-roll-invi+blind keep counting dude, keep counting.

(edited by Tekla.2139)

in Mesmer

fadeaway.2807

obvious troll is obvious.

That’s essentially what you wrote to me, I just assumed we were playing that mud slinging game.

in Mesmer

xlion.3065

These terrain bugs really suck.They not only affect our LoS problem but also lead to us and others being stuck on almost flat surface with a tiny pebble blocking our feet.

Not to mention the failing pushback on GS. While being able to make entire parties fly back to home, a tiny piece of terrain a little more elevated as the rest will block the knock back.

Why don’t you just give yourself a break and instead of pushing out new content work on fixing fundamental bugs?

(edited by xlion.3065)

in Mesmer

Posted by: PaZZo.5724

PaZZo.5724

I’m not saying we didn’t need a nerf. I was rolling through 3 people at a time in w3. What I’m saying is that the nerf broke a lot more stuff. There is a middle ground. The overreaction is on the Game host side of the nerf. IMO, we should be able to summon a clone as long as there is a target. Whether or not it connects would depend on if we’re blinded etc… Example being that the Mesmer is controlling the illusion and if the Mesmer is blinded, the illusion would miss the attack. I don’t care about that change, I’m angry that I lost the phantasm all together. No phantasm=no utility from it and no damage over the entire cool down.
A Elementalist can blind every 8 seconds iirc. If they kill the other phantasm we summon on our offset weapons we have nothing for the duration of 2 long cool downs.

We can still create clones out of los, and blinded, and so on. The change affects phantasms only, so most of your argument is really moot. Just pay attention when you’re creating a phantasm and you’re good to go.

The change was needed, because offensive phantasms specs (even if i think they’re subpar compared to a shatter spec used properly) had an unfair advantage over other classes. The side effect on support/tank builds (which i think are absolute kitten, for instance) is marginal at best for whoever is able to pay a minimum of attention to the battle. You can retain your % dmg reduction from illusions by using clones if you’re blinded/don’t have LOS, and regen and protection from phantasm…. seriously, how hard can it be to land a skill -.-

in Mesmer

Posted by: Wasabee.5031

Wasabee.5031

@OP, I feel your pain. Mesmer has ground targeting issue, coupling with LoS bug & terrain LoS = pain in the rear. Other professions can AOE w/o worry about LoS, Mesmer just can’t do it anymore.

IMO, instead of being angry, I just switched to play other profession. Heck, I switched to “Son of ANet” aka Warrior and enjoyed top health, max toughness, ton of utilities, insane damages and best of all = buff, buff, buff all the way till GW3 coming out!!!

Peace and Happy holiday!

in Mesmer

xlion.3065

Yeah, I’ve leveled up a Warrior in parallel with my Mesmer and I just don’t understand why Warriors have been ANet’s “chosen” for “easy mode”. Even at level 50 and especially with recent Mesmer nerfs my Warrior feels like being twice as powerfull and easy to play than my Mesmer.

Nice job, ANet!

(edited by xlion.3065)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Wu Khong.3106

Wu Khong.3106

I played a Mesmer since Beta and until now, all I can say is after the patch, playing a mesmer gives more stress and brain damage than fun. Comparing to a warrior or a thief, mesmer requires more attention and skills to play. However, the reward, of the stress and attention that we give, is not even close.

All we got are nerfs after nerfs. Okay, you can nerf the class, but you can not nerf the player (like a post above from some one.) I understanded. I dont even want to ask for a buff, but at least a proper bug fix (phantams haste+fury+regen still not work properly, LOS , clone condition when destroyed…)

I understand that it is easy said than done. People are working to fix it. but in my opinion, plz don’t release something that is broken and said it is fine.
Such a shame for a great game.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mere Image.8376

Mere Image.8376

I hate when I’m within range to use a certain skill and it doesn’t work. Then I have to wait for it to recharge. I don’t get the damage, the shatter, the utility. Just a wasted skill.

Server: Ehmry Bay
Guild: Commanders of the Reborn Empire Nation [CORE]
Level 80 Professions: Mesmer, Warrior, Thief

in Mesmer

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

I have both a warrior and a mesmer. In all honesty I love my mesmer more. I am more active and using my skills and having a much more active gameplay. I feel warrior is easy to be good but I enjoy the work of the mesmer and feel I am having more fun on my mesmer.

I understand everyone’s complaints and I do experience issues often on my mesmer but at the same time I love the overall feel of gameplay on my mesmer.

in Mesmer

Samiell.1259

We can still create clones out of los, and blinded, and so on. The change affects phantasms only, so most of your argument is really moot. Just pay attention when you’re creating a phantasm and you’re good to go.

The change was needed, because offensive phantasms specs (even if i think they’re subpar compared to a shatter spec used properly) had an unfair advantage over other classes. The side effect on support/tank builds (which i think are absolute kitten, for instance) is marginal at best for whoever is able to pay a minimum of attention to the battle. You can retain your % dmg reduction from illusions by using clones if you’re blinded/don’t have LOS, and regen and protection from phantasm…. seriously, how hard can it be to land a skill -.-

Not that hard landing a skill if you’re just a dps in a Zerg. You just tab to the next player. Even in a 1v1 ya just wait till you can cast the phantasm. As heals and support I need phantasms in specific spots to get regen and retaliation going. That’s not as easy when there’s so many boons on the targets being generated. Not to mention being a front line support spec. Now I have conditions on me included in the mess.
The patch changed more than just your spec.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Golgathoth.3967

Golgathoth.3967

I understand the changes made in relation to PvP, since that’s all about being “fair and balanced” to other real people. What I DO NOT understand is why this also applied to PvE. I’m sorry, was I being unfair to mobs by actually landing stuff on them reliably? It’s not like they ever dodged my illusions or focused them anyway. I simply have a hard time hitting them now. It was almost laughable trying to get illusions to reliably spawn during the Ancient Karka event.

Sylvari: 7 Humans: 3 Charr: 2 Norn: 1 Asura: 0
“Tarnished Coast” since head start!

in Mesmer

Samiell.1259

I went to a s+p / s+f or staff (situation depending) dps front line phantasm build. Re-used my knights gear with beryle orbs, changed out 2 rings from a full berserker accessory window for valk rings, the rest zerker.
Reasoning behind it all is if you’re point blank in someone’s face, there is no Los issue. It’s a huge play style change but its at least working as intended. It’s sad to shelf my support gear, build, GS and support build.
I really don’t want to go shatter spec at all. It may be better dps but not survivability. Build for both shatter and phantasm spec I’ll use will be 20/30/0/0/20. Any other ideas for a spec that can work in between the bugs?

in Mesmer

Tekla.2139

Care to explain how could you create clones out of LoS? blinded blocked obstructed and so on? even before this awful non-sense changes you would have to target the victim before they’ll go out of both’s LoS and range .
What are you saying is: since the summon was able to follow the target across specific object until killed or shattered: it was unfair.
So, how about engineer granade, elementalist storm, necro mark and all other 1200 ability? shouldn’t we have those ability denied too? You seems to talk about balance, yet clone and phantasma are one skill on their own once summoned by the mesmer.

(edited by Tekla.2139)

in Mesmer

Samiell.1259

^^ those abilities of the other classes are all AOE no target needed abilities. We have a few of those ourselves. We were always able to create clones with no los. Example being if you have deceptive evasion and are at a wall taking part in a siege. You dodge out of some arrow cart stuff and produce a clone for the guy on the wall you were trying to pull of using focus.
Phantasms have always needed los (minus the recently changed berserker) along with every other ability we and every other class uses.
Perhaps I just don’t understand your post here…

in Mesmer

Tekla.2139

^^ those abilities of the other classes are all AOE no target needed abilities. We have a few of those ourselves. We were always able to create clones with no los. Example being if you have deceptive evasion and are at a wall taking part in a siege. You dodge out of some arrow cart stuff and produce a clone for the guy on the wall you were trying to pull of using focus.
Phantasms have always needed los (minus the recently changed berserker) along with every other ability we and every other class uses.
Perhaps I just don’t understand your post here…

“Deceptive Evasion” work only if in close combat. There must also be a target nearby. It doesn’t damage inanimate object since, you know.. it’s a clone. However it add conditional damage on critical if traited which, still.. doesn’t damage inanimate object.
Also, an arrow cart would pretty much insta-gib that clone, which would otherwise just standing there. It doesn’t pass through gate or else.. and.. in a situation like this, if you shatter, it will do it on the spot, without damaging anything at all.
So moral of the story? Anet should change the term phantasma in something which reflect the mesmer ability to deal damage. I’ll leave this to you guy’s, because it’s not mine field – etymologically speaking.

(edited by Tekla.2139)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vexrm.6134

Vexrm.6134

A tad off topic, but from those having LOS problems, I come from EQ2 Land where LOS is “Can your feet see the baddies feet.” This rule of thumb has helped me well in GW2. It’s more “Can my shins see my opponents shins” over here, but the general idea stays the same.

in Mesmer

Samiell.1259

A tad off topic, but from those having LOS problems, I come from EQ2 Land where LOS is “Can your feet see the baddies feet.” This rule of thumb has helped me well in GW2. It’s more “Can my shins see my opponents shins” over here, but the general idea stays the same.

This is not off topic at all. It’s a good idea to use for what happened here. The concern of the Mesmer community is that we now have to aim for the shins while another ranged can aim at our shoulders.
I run into this problem 10% of the time I try to summon phantasms. 2 days ago, I was running W3 and was in the dredge cave placing a portal. Thief pops in slightly uphill from me and my iswordsman went on cd because it was obstructed. Ya never know what will los a phantasm if things like this happen. It’s terribly inconvenient.