Mesmerized: Bas Learns the Ropes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bas.7406

Bas.7406

sittingonacouch.com or SOAC Gaming is proud to present Mesmerized, your all-Mesmer podcast. I am pumped and excited to meet our new hosts. We are excited to help out the Mesmer Community in the same vein as we have started with the Necro Community.

Welcome to the first episode of Mesmerized, our Mesmer only (and this time a Necro) podcast! This week we bring you, Bas, our well known and loved Necro podcaster from the all Necro Podcast: But of Corpse, and he finds out what it is about the Mesmer that our two hosts, Kylia Deprigen and Pyroatheist, really like, dislike, and love.

The guys talk about early leveling, favorite weapons, and skills. Why Mesmer’s are loved and hated, the variety of builds, and much more. So have a listen and meet your Mesmerized Podcasters!

http://sittingonacouch.com/the-gw2-mesmer-podcast-mesmerized-ep-1/

We should have it on the Youtube SOAC Gaming Channel by tomorrow.

If you have any questions or guests that you would like us to talk to please don’t hesitate to let us know.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Raever.9483

Raever.9483

Great podcast guys! Keep it up.

in Mesmer

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

Fantastic work. As you guys mentioned, there’s so much depth in each possible build.

Now I’m trying to figure out how I can learn to give up my greatsword or my pistol to work the focus in more…

in Mesmer

Bas.7406

I am actually listening to this right now. I kind of zoned out during some of Pyro’s in depth explanations :P.

I like to listen to the podcast afterwards to look for possible improvements and pickup things I missed. It should be up on youtube today if Kyria cough, cough, cough. :P

in Mesmer

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

haha oh sooo that was u yesterday then.we actually didn’t wanna attack u and just pull u around.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Mesmer

Bas.7406

Haha, thanks for linking it here I can never seem to get mine to show up on here.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Karmasutra.9351

Karmasutra.9351

Really good show! Humourous and insightful as I had hoped it would be. Kylia and Pyro are a good balance for each other and it was especially interesting to hear differing views on scepter and torch.

Possible future show questions/topics:

-How do you guys feel about possibility of an in-coming shatter nerf. QQ or is it a little too OP and time to be toned down?

-In depth explanation, thoughts and recommendations for stacking condition damage vs. condition duration. Are there magic numbers we should be aiming for to maximize condition and confusion/glamour builds.

-Are mesmers slowly becoming pigeon-holed into certain meta-builds and roles, i.e. glam builds for wvw, bunker for pvp, etc.?

P.S. I really hate having to wait so long to hear another show from you guys.

in Mesmer

Bas.7406

P.S. I really hate having to wait so long to hear another show from you guys.

Keep encouraging them. I asked for the best they could do. Once every two weeks at the start, but I will say by the time it ended Pyro said, “Whoa, you were right we didn’t cover anything in that hour.”

I am hoping they will see the demand and go to once a week ;p.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Karmasutra.9351

Karmasutra.9351

I think you have to bribe them with rare veggie pizza and lemongrass poultry soup.

in Mesmer

Posted by: kylia.4813

kylia.4813

I think you have to bribe them with rare veggie pizza and lemongrass poultry soup.

Tuning crystals so expensive atm!

Pyro and I are in constant discussion in regards to time frames etc, so stay tuned and the more you give us that you want to hear about = the more podcasts

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kazhiel.8194

Kazhiel.8194

GREAT job guys! You all covered a lot of the basics and were entertaining to boot xD

Jalliel [AI] – Yak’s Bend

in Mesmer

eldenbri.1059

I sent Bas a few questions already, but I like more in-depth explorations of builds – how the weapons, traits and utilities work together in different scenarios.

Also, I like to understand the numbers better. There are lots of posts about a certain skill doing X damage, but it’s really hard to understand the context. Pyro did a nice job of quantifying the 14K hits from iWarlock in a big event where the boss had all the conditions. I had been using staff for this purpose, but it feels like phantasmal duelist is higher average damage output for me. It would be nice to get a feel for “expected” levels of damage under different conditions.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

I sent Bas a few questions already, but I like more in-depth explorations of builds – how the weapons, traits and utilities work together in different scenarios.

Also, I like to understand the numbers better. There are lots of posts about a certain skill doing X damage, but it’s really hard to understand the context. Pyro did a nice job of quantifying the 14K hits from iWarlock in a big event where the boss had all the conditions. I had been using staff for this purpose, but it feels like phantasmal duelist is higher average damage output for me. It would be nice to get a feel for “expected” levels of damage under different conditions.

Note that orr temple bosses are pretty unique in that they are normal mobs, so you can crit on them. Without critting, your damage is far lower, since most dragons and such are technically structures.

in Mesmer

eldenbri.1059

Thx – I had no idea there were things immune to crits. My build is pretty heavily focused on crits. Anything else have crit immunity?

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Thx – I had no idea there were things immune to crits. My build is pretty heavily focused on crits. Anything else have crit immunity?

You can’t crit any type of structure. You couldn’t crit graveling mounds in ac for example. The fire elemental, all the dragons, shadow behemoth, etc all have the hp bar that is in the style of a structure as opposed to a creature.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

I’ve only gotten to hear half the podcast so far, but it’s been hella amusing and pretty informative.

• Pyro: You mentioned “before they broke the torch” when you spoke of the beta weekend. What was it like before?
  • In the “What Mesmer are You?” poll thread, it was mentioned that shatter is the only viable way to go. While I wholly disagree, could there be SOME merit to that mentality? What would cause people to think that?
  • If A-net allowed you to add one new weapon to our set, which would it be and how could you imagine it working?
  • Are Necros hard counters to Mesmers? It seems a lot of Mesmers have a hard time with conditions.

in Mesmer

Kazhiel.8194

Chaos, what he was referring to was in beta the prestige was not channeled and then they ‘broke’ it by making it channeled and only recently reverted it to how it originally was for the most part but it’s still kinda broken with the goofed up way the blast finisher works/doesn’t work. x)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Ah. So the phantasm always sucked?

in Mesmer

Kazhiel.8194

I think the confusion duration used to be a little longer? I didn’t play beta, just going off what I’ve heard lol

in Mesmer

Bas.7406

As far as I can remember, the phantasm used to be op in beta mainly because no one knew how to handle it, than it was nerfed to worthless.

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

The original phantasm was 10(9?) seconds of 1 stack of confusion, reapplied every 5 seconds or so. The general feeling was that this was far, FAR more useful than than the 3 stacks for 3 seconds, due to the fact that it would actually guarantee at least some damage…

This also wasn’t a beta change. This was changed in the first month or 2 of the game, iirc. The phantasm was still bad before the change, it just wasn’t THIS bad.

in Mesmer

Bas.7406

Wow, I must say, whatever video kylia shot for the Youtube verison of the podcast is taking forever to process!

Either way, this was a great podcast, and the Mesmer’s are losing to the Necros in terms of downloads :P. Though 354 downloads in one day for a first podcast is really good. Most of the Necro ones that don’t deal with WvWvW sit around 180 the first day and then slowly climb until they hit about 500 to 800.

in Mesmer

kylia.4813

Mesmerize update – Rumour has it that there will be another podcast this weekend, Stay tuned!

in Mesmer

Posted by: pahldus.1678

pahldus.1678

Oh yeah, can’t wait.

in Mesmer

Bas.7406

Mesmerize update – Rumour has it that there will be another podcast this weekend, Stay tuned!

Whoa!!! Excitement! Hopefully we can get your podcasts on youtube soon!!! haha

in Mesmer

kylia.4813

Youtube is up (finally!)

;)

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Youtube is up (finally!)

;)

Dat resolution. From now on, I do the uploading.

in Mesmer

kylia.4813

Youtube is up (finally!)

;)

Dat resolution. From now on, I do the uploading.

lol! its still rendering, give it some time :P

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Great podcast, looking forward to what you guys do in the future.