Mesmers need +25% movement speed utility

in Mesmer

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

[Quote] Still don’t see what this has to do with a discussion about +25% move speed signets and/or perma swiftness. [Quote]

Keep tunnel vision, you’ll go far :/

[Quote] as well as implying that having a gap closer makes Mesmers unique and therefore should be slower… personally I can’t think of a class that lacks a gap closer, please inform me if I am incorrect here. [Quote]

When I said gap closer, I was more referring about how hard it is to avoid a mesmer i.e Pillard hump, line of sight, etc.

[Quote] And come on, saying that satire isn’t a joke is splitting hairs, both concepts highly related.[Quote]

Apple. Orange. You said it yourself: Both concepts are highly related. Related but not the same. Joke= Making people laugh. Satire: To moke of a group of people Key word: group(It’s more than that, but lets keep it simple.}

[perma swiftness and +25% move speed signets are hurting the diversity of builds]

I think arenanet should completly scrap this talent. I can’t think of any moment where I didn’t want to have this passive in wvw, pve, and worldpve to reach point A to B on my necromancer. I feel they should just buff our bases speed by X amount, remove the passive buff and make the active one more effective. People shouldn’t feel obligated to take just so they can have a speed on par with the majority of the professions. This is just bad design in my opinion.

in Mesmer

Posted by: isendel.5049

isendel.5049

A lot of people is talking about how more swiftness will impact PvP. This is most certainly an important topic but it’s not the only one. GW2 has no mount system which allows you to explore very fast without using waypoints (which you haven’t unlocked yet btw if you are exploring). This is where the mesmer really lack a reliable swiftness imo. Every class (guardians too, unlike someone has stated before) can have at the very least a permanent +25%, while many classes can have a permanent +33%. Mesmer hasn’t and it really needs it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

mount

The only real point for a mount has is to cross large boring landscapes. Rather than make large boring landscapes, the developers can simply make smaller, more detailed landscapes. This is what Anet decided to do. Mounts do not belong in this game, if the developers wanted to make a smaller world, they would just do so, rather than put some arbitrary restriction on breezing through boring content.

Every class (guardians too, unlike someone has stated before) can have at the very least a permanent +25%, while many classes can have a permanent +33%. Mesmer hasn’t and it really needs it.

I just checked my Guardian to see if it was an update that slipped by me, and nope, Guardian does not have any permanent +25% move speed ability. Do you mean a lot of swiftness up time perhaps?.. even then the Guardian has to build for that…. same as the Mesmer. My Mesmer has over 90% uptime on swiftness because I built for it, my guardian can only have a bit more than 50% uptime on swiftness if I devote two utility slots to shouts that give swiftness, if using a Staff align my Staff3 two different shouts at certain exact times (when staff3 is used while you already have swiftness, it only gives +1 second of swiftness duration), then I could probably get about 80% swiftness uptime.

There is a difference between slotting a single utility (+25% movement classes), clicking a few buttons whenever they are off cool down (warrior, ranger), and having to devote your build, and use abilities at certain moments to maintaining high swiftness uptime (Mesmer and Guardian). Guardian is very much in the same scenario as Mesmer, arguably worse.

[tangent]

It could be argued that pretty much any class can use line of sight to their advantage. I know I do on any class I play. And if you are expecting Phantasms to hold their own while the Mesmer plays Ring around the Rosy, then sorry, they won’t. A better Ring around the Rosy class would probably be Necromancer using Marks, targeted Wells, and maybe minions. Either way, the tangent is getting further and further away from the topic of the thread.

Also, mock = laugh, again splitting hairs.

(edited by Surbrus.6942)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

mount

It could be argued that pretty much any class can use line of sight to their advantage. I know I do on any class I play. And if you are expecting Phantasms to hold their own while the Mesmer plays Ring around the Rosy, then sorry, they won’t. A better Ring around the Rosy class would probably be Necromancer using Marks, targeted Wells, and maybe minions. Either way, the tangent is getting further and further away from the topic of the thread..

For someone accusing me for puting words on your mouth… I said Mesmer has a gab closer. Not the best… That’s it. Not sure where you’re going with that.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ghanto.9784

Ghanto.9784

It would be nice! I just recently got rid of all my centaur runes because I concluded it was ridiculous that I should have to spec 6 runes just to keep up with folk in wvw, figured I’d just reconcile myself again to playing constant catch-up. Now that they’re gone, though, I’m realizing that it might be worth it to have all my other stats suffer again just to get the speed back. The reality of having to once again run after people all the time is a lot worse than my memory of it.

I don’t know, I hear the arguments from both sides, but all I’m gonna say is I sure wish I didn’t have to gimp myself to keep up with people.

in Mesmer

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

It’s ridiculous that we don’t even have the option of moving faster. Switching to a focus isn’t the answer, it has a terrible duration and it’s skill set in combat only suits a small number of combat styles. As it is now, if you don’t want to be a shell-less turtle you:
A. Switch to Centaur Runes and completely change your build
B. Constantly switch to focus to run faster and pray you don’t get ambushed
C. Switch to air runes and spam healing and pray you don’t need it in combat

Did I forget something?
Even if I did, all these options suck. Truth is, people just don’t want mes to have a fair playing field. They need it weakened so they can keep up.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Silentsins.3726

Silentsins.3726

They need it weakened so they can keep up.

That must be it. In the spirit of equity, I graciously offer Power Shoes in exchange for the portal.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

Yeah, I’d kind of accept it if the mesmer wasn’t advertised as being a mobile class. I would of just picked another class. Now its the biggest pain I have to deal with. Shame I like just about everything else about the mesmer.

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Posted by: CrazyAce.3842

CrazyAce.3842

Everyone keeps saying this, but we have Blink. If we had a passive run speed buff on top of this great skill other classes would start moaning that Mesmers are too fast and OP. Hell, from what I’ve read on the other class forums people already think we’re OP as it is.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

Although, this would be convenient. I don’t feel like I need it just because other classes have a passive speed bonus. I’m not going to ask for a ranger pet because rangers have one. It’s the same to me. Different classes are different. I seen this in other games: homogenization. People complain they don’t have an ability another class has, then complain there is too much homogenization after they get it.

I love to solo roam WvW and all enemy invaders do is run from me. I really have no way to catch them, but I manage. Honestly, it really does make sense to me that mesmers don’t have increased speed. I’m like the Hulk in pvp: destroying everything and everyone in my path, as long as the odds aren’t stacked too high against me of course. The other classes need that speed boost to escape my onslaught.

If I really wanted a passive speed boost like other classes, I would just go play another class that has it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

They need it weakened so they can keep up.

That must be it. In the spirit of equity, I graciously offer Power Shoes in exchange for the portal.

Take my fricking portal. If it’ll quite all the complaining then just take it. Don’t complain when we can’t move you up the JP or save you in fractals. Very few mes like being a portal monkey.

Also, something else I realized. The blink argument is bullocks. Off the top of my head, three other classes have teleports: Thief, Guardian, and elem.

Two of those have a 25% passive. Wtf?

Give it to guardian and mes. Make the game balanced.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ghanto.9784

Ghanto.9784

Yeah, I don’t think it’s really an “every class is different and you can’t have everything” kind of argument. I just don’t want to have to keep spending a significant amount of my time chasing after blue dots on the map, trying to get to where people and events are going on. And “blink” is NOT the answer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

I am playing Mesmer myself. Well I am playing Mesmer all day long, because it is the only unique, original and truly stylish class in GW2. However, I was annoyed, that I have no real reliable speed buff myself. But on the other hand, with a friend of mine (mesmer himself too) we can basically cheat ourselves through many jumping puzzles, can bring each other back to the top. We can make quick runs for supply in WvW (and help others with that too) with portal use and so on…

But then I discovered the Superior Rune of the Centaur. It fits perfectly in my build and and now we both are using it and basically everyone else is running after us now or at least the same speed. There are many ways in GW2 (at least this is my impression) to make up for the disadvantages of ur class by the propper equipment…

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

in Mesmer

Posted by: thievery.2701

thievery.2701

As far as pve is concerned, yes it sucks that we can’t get around the map as fast as everyone else. If we want to even come close we have to change our weapon set to do so, granted the #5 skill of that weapon set just happens to be extremely useful in pve. I don’t really see it as a major issue though that warrants a need for a 25% passive buff. Pve is not a competition with other players, therefore a speed buff is not required to be competitive.

On the topic of competitiveness however I can see why this warrants discussion for wvw. Personally, I can do without it. I am pretty generally always with a group in wvw and people often use swiftness abilities that proc on nearby friendlies as well, so keeping up is usually not a problem. If I happen to be unlucky and miss their swiftness then I also run blink, so I just blink up to the front again and then it’s extremely rare that I still don’t pick up a swiftness from someone else twice. This is also assuming I’m not even running with a focus, which in wvw I usually am (I’m growing out of greatsword so it’s staff + sword/focus for me). I say let everyone else water down their builds with speed buffs. So what if I show up to the fight a couple seconds late? That just means I’m fresh and ready to go while most of the enemies abilities are on cooldown, and I don’t have a wasted utility slot.

I can’t really speak for other forms of pvp as I don’t play them at the moment.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zentoji.8654

Zentoji.8654

Maybe a reworking of Signet of Inspiration would be in order. : )

in Mesmer

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

I don’t know why necro got it but outside of that, not every profession is supposed to be a speed demon plain and simple.
Mesmers share some of the speed of a thief, not quite all of it.
However I thought signet of inspiration was going to provide only swiftness outside of battle…or at least it seemed like that was what they were implying.

The great forum duppy.

in Mesmer

Posted by: erigais.6805

erigais.6805

I don’t know why necro got it but outside of that, not every profession is supposed to be a speed demon plain and simple.
Mesmers share some of the speed of a thief, not quite all of it.
However I thought signet of inspiration was going to provide only swiftness outside of battle…or at least it seemed like that was what they were implying.

dude what are you talking about, share some speed of the speed with a thief???? share some speed of the speed of a thief? WHAT ARE THEY SHARING??? thieves get a signet with +movespeed as well as skills that give them swiftness. they share 0% of speed with a thief. ZERO. mesmers have no skill that gives them speed directly. the only way to guaranteed give yourself a move speed boost is a skill on an offhand weapon. if that weapon is not part of your build have fun walking around tyria while your team is half a map away. running around with mesmer is just a pain in the kitten and one i wont be dealing with for a while. just gonna put my mes on back burner and play other classes so i dont get that falling asleep feeling while i chase my team around wvw.

[Sekz] Officer erigais AKA Weeaboo Hunter

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alex.9268

Alex.9268

Anet should really just figure out a way to give us out of combat speed in order to avoid even more mesmer QQ. Very few of us are begging for in combat mobility, we are ok there. Out of combat speed though is an issue that gets in the way of everything non-combat related and is just plain unfair when we are the only profession that actually has to gear for acceptable levels of speed.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Just give Mesmer a 25% speed signet already Jon. This ‘more reliable swiftness’ isn’t reliable at all.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Mesmer

Posted by: Wasdclick.1764

Wasdclick.1764

Okay, trying to stick to topic as much as possible.

Jon has said as much that Mesmers are to enjoy some speed buffing.

Signet of Inspiration was reworked to give 10 seconds of swiftness, and to work outside of combat.

What if, call me crazy, that Signet of Inspiration was supposed to give ONLY swiftness outside of combat, but the implementation was a bit buggy, so instead all Mesmers were getting any boon instead of the intended boon?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

My mesmer used to be my main, she is now my third fiddle behind my engie and thief, specifically because of how slow it is to get around out of combat.

In combat, she’s fine and able to jump around like a jackrabbit on crack, but out of combat…. it’s just painful. Running back from dungeon wipes, trying to get back from a waypoint, even just running over to get a harvesting node… it’s so very slow compared to my two other toons.

I want to love mesmer, but finding myself so far behind everyone else while running back, making everyone wait for me to catch up, or getting there just in time to watch the mobs all die isn’t fun.