Mimic now Useful?

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Mimic: Updated functionality of this skill. This skill now causes the next utility slot skill you use within 10 seconds to recharge in 1 second. Increased recharge to 90 seconds.

I could see some potentially nice stuff with this. Mind you it only affects the utility skills, but you can do something like a double arcane thievery to provide massive boon/condi swapping, or double blink for an extra getaway. You could even double illusion of life someone to pick them up again after they go down from the first IoL expiring.

Obviously double mirror image and double decoy would be quite useful. So would double feedback and double veil.

I don’t think a double portal will be possible because mimic only reduces the recharge… it will depend on exactly how it interacts with 2 part skills (i.e. a skill and follow up skill).

Also not sure how it will interact with mantras. Would you just get a 1s cooldown after the mantra charges have expired, or could you set the recharge for a charge to 1s? It’s not clear.

I’m actually really excited about this now. It’s much, much better than the copy all boon things they had, and it provides some unique form of functionality that could be potentially game changing.

Of course, I’d rather they called it “Echo” instead of “Mimic” since the former is more iconic, but oh wells. Guess I won’t be able to tell how good it is until I get my hands on it (I’m not a mesmer expert by any means).

EDIT: Just thought that you could potentially chain it with the new chronomancer stuff to get mimic to recharge after popping it, and then popping it again to basically get 4 consecutive casts of a particular utility. O_o

EDIT 2: Just read the portal changes, confirmed that double portal won’t be possible, even with chronomancer stuff.

(edited by Yamsandjams.3267)

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

I like the copy all boons because it was OP for high boon duration enemies. But this one has more use over all. I am look forward to doing two blinks in a row.

“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

Also not sure how it will interact with mantras. Would you just get a 1s cooldown after the mantra charges have expired, or could you set the recharge for a charge to 1s? It’s not clear.

Based on the wording, it seems like you’ll get a 1s cooldown on your Mantra if you consume the last charge during Mimic’s 10s duration. Most Mantras are too conditional to spam like that, apart from Mantra of Pain which already has a 1s cooldown. But! I guess there are circumstances where chain-casting Power Break could be handy.

I think Mimic is really going to shine when you pair it with Wells, though. Imagine dropping two Wells of Calamity on top of a Gravity Well…

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I just can’t wait to see what kind of crazy stuff happens when you combine it with Chronomancer.

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

You’ll definitely get some mileage out of this skill now!

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kelthien.8593

Kelthien.8593

4 Consecutive casts seems pretty awesome, in theory! I’m definitely going to be thinking about this one. A long time ago, many of us were hoping for an Arcane Echo style utility and it looks like we got it!

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Seems interesting. I still miss the unique charm of the original skill.

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

This is cool. You’re essentially trading a utility slot to duplicate one of your own skills every 90 seconds.

If you consider we’ll still likely need a stunbreak (blink/decoy) what other abilities would be worth taking twice?

Portal, Illusion of Life, Signet of Inspiration, Well of Whichever-the-hell-gives-alacrity

Imagine.. F5 Shatter, -mimic- signet of illusions shatter – signet- shatter. f5 & repeat.

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: SlimChance.6593

SlimChance.6593

Signet of Domination would be good. Back to back 3 second stuns!!

Back to back Mirror Images for two quick 3 illusion shatters (w/IP) like so..
Mirror Images>Mimic>Mindwrack>MirrorImages>CoF all withing 1-2 seconds. Throw in a MindStab for Blurred Frenzy in the middle of it.. nasty

Eccho, Echo Oread – Mesmers (Yak’s Bend)
My EchoRupt Build - Forum Post

(edited by SlimChance.6593)

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

I’m looking forward to the GTFO potential of this. Something not going your way? 2400 range instantly, see ya!

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Daniel Handler.4816

So this boosts utility quite dramatically . I hope this isn’t how it would work.
F5 in, x, mimic, f5 out, Signet of Illusions. Repeat.
That is too many elites cast in a row.

Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

I’m looking forward to the GTFO potential of this. Something not going your way? 2400 range instantly, see ya!

I’m not a wvw roamer, but I imagine this combined with PU would make for an ETERNAL LIFE MESMER BUILD. lol

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Daniel Handler.4816

I’m not a wvw roamer, but I imagine this combined with PU would make for an ETERNAL LIFE MESMER BUILD. lol

Shhhhh. Giving up that spot though is hard. PU would become complete condi fodder.

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: goldenwing.9654

goldenwing.9654

I love they way they’re bringing back fast casting in a way to fit GW2.

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

Essentially slotted the same utility twice? Yes – that’s awesome. I can see some a support Mesmer getting some awesome play with this and Illusion of Life.

I wonder if it works on traits that trigger utility skills? Such as Mental Defense(iDefender) and Illusionary Inspiration(SoInspiration).

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

I see a real cool thing incoming there… (when HoT ships)

F5→Mimic→Well of Calamity→Well of Calamity→F5→Mimic→Well of Calamity→Well of Calamity→/dance

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

Essentially slotted the same utility twice? Yes – that’s awesome. I can see some a support Mesmer getting some awesome play with this and Illusion of Life.

I wonder if it works on traits that trigger utility skills? Such as Mental Defense(iDefender) and Illusionary Inspiration(SoInspiration).

I used to use illusion of life like warrior banner before I actually read the tooltip properly, it’s a good troll in several situations. Love to see that kind of troll happening twice though haha.

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

I used to use illusion of life like warrior banner before I actually read the tooltip properly, it’s a good troll in several situations. Love to see that kind of troll happening twice though haha.

It can suck in PvE because when it ends it counts as being downed again. So if someone has been downed too much they’ll just die when it ends.

However, in sPvP it can be useful, the CD just sucks. Mimic makes it a bit more feasible.

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

There has always been high competition for the utility slots. Mimic definitely has more usefulness now, but for my sPvP builds it still doesn’t have a place. In WvW it would be more useful as a veil bot, and I struggle to see any real use for PvE.

Even with the new F5 there are only so many skills you can cast in a max 4sec window (taking into account cast+animation time) without quickness, and I doubt this will be among them. Some cast/animation times are quite long on on Mes.

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

Oh I think people will make room for Mimic, especially in organized team play!

With traited Glamours you can make your team basically immune to Conditions for 14s, 6s of which they’re literally immune. Let’s not even mention 14s of little-to-no boons for your enemies in point fights.

This also lowers the CD on Time Warp, which is now also pretty awesome and definitely fight-changing!

I see a lot more support Mesmers inc soon between the aforementioned stuff, and the changes to Illusions and Chaos. You can make a very heavy support-oriented Mesmer with all of this; hard to kill, but too powerful to ignore.

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

and I struggle to see any real use for PvE.

Portals are meta in dungeons/fractals. Double portal, double feedback, double timewarp and double mass invis. All very relevant and useful to PvE.

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

and I struggle to see any real use for PvE.

Portals are meta in dungeons/fractals. Double portal, double feedback, double timewarp and double mass invis. All very relevant and useful to PvE.

Will it ctually work on Elites though? It just says utilities.

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Even if it doesnt the biggest use will still be portal.

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

So this boosts utility quite dramatically . I hope this isn’t how it would work.
F5 in, x, mimic, f5 out, Signet of Illusions. Repeat.
That is too many elites cast in a row.

It doesn’t work on elites (mimic). Also, i don’t think signet of illusions will work on chronomancer F5.

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

~32 Seconds of Stealth for the Mesmer, sounds pretty evil:

4 Seconds from Veil
6 From Prestige
6 from Decoy
6 from Mimic Decoy
10 from Mass Invisibility

Add the one Million reflects Mesmer get after the Update… I am totally back in love with my Mesmer <3

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: fluxit.8247

fluxit.8247

Im taking mimic just for the escape potential of a double blink.

You got a thief hotcon your kitten Just stealth and double blink and laugh from a mile away. But keep running though cos thieves are pretty good at chasing, even at 2400 range.

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

I’d now take it over Veil for any PU build using Decoy, Blink and Mimic.

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: frifoxy.6014

frifoxy.6014

F5 resets all your skills.
Mimic resets your utilities.

Tripple portal? 9x stability? Full 1xF3 & 2xF1 shatter combo?

I think I’m getting dizzy just thinking of all possibilities you would pull off with these two

Mesmer Calc: Power DPS | Condi DPS
Mesmer Data: Attack Rates & Coefficients
Other Stuff: Youtube

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

F5 resets all your skills.
Mimic resets your utilities.

Tripple portal?

They’ve nipped this one in bud. Using portal with an active portal will destroy the active portal, from patch notes.

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

frifoxy.6014

Oh I meant portal one after another, not simultaneously.

1. Portal entry, blink 1200, portal exit
2. F5
3. Portal entry, blink 1200, portal exit
5. F5 and use your previously laid portal
6. Mimic
7. Portal entry, blink 1200, portal exit

Unless I’m misundestanding how F5 would work…

(edited by frifoxy.6014)

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Oh I meant portal one after another, not simultaneously.

1. Portal entry, blink 1200, portal exit
2. F5
3. Portal entry, blink 1200, portal exit
5. F5 and use your previously laid portal
6. Mimic
7. Portal entry, blink 1200, portal exit

Unless I’m misundestanding how F5 would work…

You’re misunderstanding both how f5 works and how the portal thing will work.

F5 saves your character state, enabling you to revert back to it. It does not inherently refresh anything.

As per the notes, if you use the skill portal while another of your portals is active, the old one will be destroyed.
You can never have more than 1 active portal.

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Still has the difficulty of our limited 3, or should I say 2 utility slots if using mimic.

I love the idea, but going to be tough to decide what two utilities to take alongside if using mimic.

I also kind of miss bubble shield, but I suppose the shield block skill should make up for that.

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

frifoxy.6014

You’re misunderstanding both how f5 works and how the portal thing will work.

F5 saves your character state, enabling you to revert back to it. It does not inherently refresh anything.

As per the notes, if you use the skill portal while another of your portals is active, the old one will be destroyed.
You can never have more than 1 active portal.

I think I do understand how F5 would work but for some unknown reason in my brainstorm stage earlier I assumed F5 would refresh skills, which it wouldn’t, and that got me confused. Thought that last part about portals, I understand and I don’t think it’ll hinder anything. Here’s the process in a bit more detail

1. Slot in Mimic, Portal, Blink.
2. Open portal, blink, lay exit. Let your party take that portal.
3. Portal/Blink are now on CD but Mimic is still off CD.
4. F5 to “save” your state.
5. Use Mimic. In 1 sec Blink/Portal are off CD
6. Open portal, blink, lay exit once again. Your party takes the 2nd portal.
7. F5 to revert to saved state (and hope it doesn’t destroy the currently open portal)
8. Use the still open portal
9. Use Mimic to refresh portal
10. In 1 sec both Portal and Blink are off CD again
11. Do the 3rd portal.

How does this logic sound?

(edited by frifoxy.6014)

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: SlimChance.6593

SlimChance.6593

Mimic only refreshes 1 utility skiill not all of them. Your NEXT one.
So Mimic>Portal/Blink… only the Portal’s cd is reduced.

Eccho, Echo Oread – Mesmers (Yak’s Bend)
My EchoRupt Build - Forum Post

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

frifoxy.6014

Mimic only refreshes 1 utility skiill not all of them. Your NEXT one.
So Mimic>Portal/Blink… only the Portal’s cd is reduced.

Well, kitten. Got too excited and missed the most important part.

XD

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

It’s ok, it’s a new skill with a new kind of effect, so misunderstandings are, uh, understandable. Using two Portals back to back is still pretty strong, even if it’s not as strong as having them open simultaneously.

Also, imagine: Portal Entre -> Mimic -> Blink -> Blink -> Portal Exeunt.

Or: F5 (save) -> Portal Entre -> Mimic -> Blink -> Blink -> Portal Exeunt -> F5 (revert) -> Use Portal -> Portal Entre -> Mimic -> Blink -> Blink -> Portal Exeunt.

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Stop guys. How am I ever supposed to get any actual work done at my job with all this potential spilling about!?

Really tempted to mimic signet of inspiration along with continuum shift and illusory inspiration

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

Portal Entre -> Mimic -> Blink -> Blink -> Portal Exeunt.

I like this combo, can’t wait to try it out. Gonna be best juke ever.

With the new Mimic, I might finally feel comfortably run a mes build with Blink is the only stunbreak (instead of two stunbreaks… cough.. Decoy… cough).

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

It’s ok, it’s a new skill with a new kind of effect, so misunderstandings are, uh, understandable. Using two Portals back to back is still pretty strong, even if it’s not as strong as having them open simultaneously.

Also, imagine: Portal Entre -> Mimic -> Blink -> Blink -> Portal Exeunt.

Or: F5 (save) -> Portal Entre -> Mimic -> Blink -> Blink -> Portal Exeunt -> F5 (revert) -> Use Portal -> Portal Entre -> Mimic -> Blink -> Blink -> Portal Exeunt.

Mm yes, I suppose that combo would work. Should be quite nifty for porting golems around. Could even do a port into a keep from the adjacent supply camp pretty much.

On the old borderlands, at any rate.

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Wait.. Does the heal count as a utility? It should, shouldn’kitten

Phantasm, Phantasm, Mimic -> Ether Signet

/laugh /dance

(edited by Chaos Archangel.5071)

Mimic now Useful?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Menaka.5092

Menaka.5092

I see a real cool thing incoming there… (when HoT ships)

F5->Mimic->Well of Calamity->Well of Calamity->F5->Mimic->Well of Calamity->Well of Calamity->/dance

you forgot gravity well before mimic… twice :°D