New Mesmer Traits April 15th (Lockdown Buff!)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Mesmer: Power Block

“Enemies of mesmers beware: they’ve learned how to mess with your skill recharge! The new trait for mesmers allows them to gain additional benefit when disrupting enemy skills. Power Block will be introduced to the Domination line and will change the recharge of an interrupted skill from 5 seconds to 10 seconds. This will not affect skills that have no recharge, but I’d imagine that stopping a necromancer from consuming conditions would surely put a nail in their coffin.”

This is the first of MANY changes coming April 15th. And exactly what I’ve been asking for! Hyyype!

New Grandmasters for each traitline? I’m wondering what else we’ll see.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

It does not work with basic attacks. So …. uhm … I don’t do much wvw / pvp, just stated with pvp a few days ago. But will this be really that amazing? I mean there are enough other skills to use, and there aren’t any “holy so important to interrupt!!” skills … are there?

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aniltiger.9186

Aniltiger.9186

The question is, how long cooldown will this trait have…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Delar.9456

Delar.9456

It does not work with basic attacks. So …. uhm … I don’t do much wvw / pvp, just stated with pvp a few days ago. But will this be really that amazing? I mean there are enough other skills to use, and there aren’t any “holy so important to interrupt!!” skills … are there?

I agree 100%… This is only useful in WvW / PvP and does little for PvE. I sure hope that the other new traits are not all focused on player verses player combat. Confusion is already the worst condition for PvE and yet we keep getting more PvP focused traits.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

Oh sounds good. I only hope that the ICD isn’t as long as Furious Interruption.

Gandara

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

It’ll be nice to be more like a proper Mesmer again, alas I bet it won’t work on bosses with the defiant buff>all.

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aniltiger.9186

Aniltiger.9186

I agree 100%… This is only useful in WvW / PvP and does little for PvE. I sure hope that the other new traits are not all focused on player verses player combat. Confusion is already the worst condition for PvE and yet we keep getting more PvP focused traits.

Talking about confusion, wouldn’t it be good to have a trait to make, for example, half the confusion dmg a damage over time, and the other half when the enemy is doing an attack. That would make confusion mush more viable for PvE.

in Mesmer

Posted by: BlackDevil.9268

BlackDevil.9268

This trait will be really good. Why? Because atm you’re spamming dazes to interrupt a skill every 5 seconds and interrupting someone atm is just not really rewarding. Adding another 5 seconds to it can make a lot difference between staying alive by activating your healing or go into downed state cause you couldn’t make it.

The only thing we suffer from now is aoe dazes/interrupts and 0.25 sec (instant cast) dazes like thief.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

In all games I have played abilities like this is some of the best PvP abilities in the game. So yes I expect nothing less than nerf cries from this one once it’s around.

But yes I would also like it if all interrupt traits had more of a pve benefit :/

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Well lets look at it from a Mesmer vs Mesmer perspective:

Phantasm summon: 12-16 sec cooldown.
Ether Feast: 20s cooldown

Mesmer Greatsword: Auto, Mirror Blade, Mind Spike, & Phant Summon are all relatively easy to interrupt. (Though there are some phantasms that are easier to interrupt *cough*Warden*cough*)

Putting either of those on an addition 10s cooldown (+ 3s immobilize, + 2k damage from halting strike. + 5x might & random boon from BI ) and you’ve got one screwed Mesmer. This is going to be great for PvP but I can’t think of many PvE applications for this.

@Blackdevil: “Because atm you’re spamming dazes to interrupt a skill every 5 seconds and interrupting someone atm is just not really rewarding.” That’s not entirely true.. A lockdown Mesmer isn’t focused on keeping just ONE skill on lock constantly, and if you take the right interrupt traits if it got any more rewarding (than this additional trait) it’d be OP for sure.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Myrias.8732

Myrias.8732

Want. Now.

Lock-down speccing is going to be so hard to actually choose a build… good thing respeccing is going to be free! (ERMAHGEEEEERD)

Myrias Faust – Mesmer
Victory or Death [VoD] – Yak’s Bend

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Very interesting, especially because we already got two very lockdown-useful Domination grandmaster traits. Hrm…

kitten! Actual choice! -.-

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Renny.6571

Renny.6571

The only problem class for me on my interrupt mesmer is thief. This trait doesn’t affect thief weapon skills, and I’ll be forced to drop either DE or Chaotic Interruption for it. Not worth.

It’s surprising that they make a whole new GM trait for interrupt builds AFTER being presented with the knowledge that 1/2 the thief weapon skills don’t cost initiative or go on a cooldown when they’re interrupted and they go ahead and launch this ship and specifically state it won’t affect thieves. :\

elite specs ruined pvp.

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

I dunno if it’s gonna be the grandmaster trait they’re talking about, and while I’m HOPING it’s gonna replace Wastrel’s Punishment, I won’t hold my breath… but putting the trait ANYWHERE in the domination line is painful, Halting Strike/Mental Torment/Empowered Illusions/Shattered Concentration/Traited Torch/Harmonious Mantras/Confounding Suggestions.. ughh.

in Mesmer

Xyonon.3987

But it only increases the duration of the interrupted skill by 5 sec. I don’t know how this could be op :s

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

in Mesmer

Posted by: theCOREYCOLAK.5698

theCOREYCOLAK.5698

dis mayk me criez errytim :’)

Corey Goes Shatter (One Fabulous Mesmer)
Fort Aspenwood

in Mesmer

Myrias.8732

“We’re introducing forty new grandmaster traits: each trait line for each profession will have one new grandmaster trait to unlock with the trait-unlocking system we just discussed!”

Pretty sure this is a third grandmaster trait

Myrias Faust – Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: EverythingEnds.4261

EverythingEnds.4261

The only problem class for me on my interrupt mesmer is thief. This trait doesn’t affect thief weapon skills, and I’ll be forced to drop either DE or Chaotic Interruption for it. Not worth.

It’s surprising that they make a whole new GM trait for interrupt builds AFTER being presented with the knowledge that 1/2 the thief weapon skills don’t cost initiative or go on a cooldown when they’re interrupted and they go ahead and launch this ship and specifically state it won’t affect thieves. :\

Same thoughts here.
It might be good, but I think, Chaotic Interruption is still the better one to go with.
I would have prefered if they gave us back the “bugged” CS (with Chaos Storm).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

kitten , I want to see Illusions and Inspiration new grandmaster traits.

Also:
The button to instantly refund all traits, previously seen only in structured PvP areas, has become game-wide.
Refunding traits is now free across the game: refund your traits any time you’re not in combat or in a competitive PvP match!

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

Omg I’m so excited :3. Some permanent content/balance is exactly what I’ve been waiting for, since… Pretty much ever :O

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ramiel.4931

Ramiel.4931

As always, the mesmer in PvE is forgotten.

They are taking the whole pvp esports thing too far.

in Mesmer

Renny.6571

You’re forgetting Mesmers in PvE aren’t in as bad of a position as they are in PvP…

elite specs ruined pvp.

in Mesmer

Myrias.8732

This is 1 of 5 new grandmaster traits for Mesmer – so I wouldn’t read to into this, since everything can change with the other traits.

Myrias Faust – Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Hoping the rest of the traits aren’t so focused on one small game mode and help out with PvE and WvWvW. Then again what Mesmer needs in those modes are serious QoL adjustments so I am not sure how helpful new GMs will be there.

Also as soon as this hits I am expecting the outcry to be even bigger then those couple of days when Mesmers could use Shattered Strength to actually stack some might on them for a change.

You’re forgetting Mesmers in PvE aren’t in as bad of a position as they are in PvP…

You have those two modes mixed up.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Azgarn.2145

Azgarn.2145

Talking about confusion, wouldn’t it be good to have a trait to make, for example, half the confusion dmg a damage over time, and the other half when the enemy is doing an attack. That would make confusion mush more viable for PvE.

Except that idea would make confusion insane in pvp/wvw again. And everyone would cry till its nerfed back.

Coll Ôhmsford
[IB]
“For a few to be immortal, many must die.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Deim Hunir.8503

Deim Hunir.8503

Well to be honest they need to revamp pvE in general so control effects are more meaningful.

Defiant is a silly mechanic, unshakable even more and let’s not get started on the condition immunity they introduced with the last update.

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

I dunno if it’s gonna be the grandmaster trait they’re talking about, and while I’m HOPING it’s gonna replace Wastrel’s Punishment, I won’t hold my breath… but putting the trait ANYWHERE in the domination line is painful, Halting Strike/Mental Torment/Empowered Illusions/Shattered Concentration/Traited Torch/Harmonious Mantras/Confounding Suggestions.. ughh.

But that’s exactly what most players keep asking for – and it’s a very viable way to set up traits:
Cram everything related to one type of ability into the same line. Just needs good balance because players will pick the 3 traits they consider the strongest.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Oh yes, yet another PvP trait, thanks.

How about buffing DPS for PvE players, instead of adding more trick-traits?

Ah wait, here’s a class which really needs a DPS buff:

Warrior: Dual-Wield Agility

Warriors who love to dual-wield will have a new option in their Arms line with Dual-Wield Agility. This trait will increase your attack speed by ten percent when wielding an off-hand axe, mace, or sword.

20 level 80s and counting.

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

You realize that you might have rolled the wrong class if you expected a Trickster-class to be competitive in raw power to other classes?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bunda.2691

Bunda.2691

I could see interrupt + chill builds being awesome. Imagine putting oponents’ skills on 20 sec cooldowns!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ramiel.4931

Ramiel.4931

I could see interrupt + chill builds being awesome. Imagine putting oponents’ skills on 20 sec cooldowns!

And then a thief just autoattacks you to death because all you can do is put some skills on cd every several seconds or so.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Ah wait, here’s a class which really needs a DPS buff:

Warrior: Dual-Wield Agility

Warriors who love to dual-wield will have a new option in their Arms line with Dual-Wield Agility. This trait will increase your attack speed by ten percent when wielding an off-hand axe, mace, or sword.

Too bad that new Warrior trait isn’t good enough for use in optimal PvE Warrior meta builds.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

You realize that you might have rolled the wrong class if you expected a Trickster-class to be competitive in raw power to other classes?

I realise it, and at some point I wanted to reroll to an ele to get the “rewarding” tagging playstyle, because it was at least a caster-type class which wasn’t as boring to me as a warrior. However, since GW2 has the “play how you want” philosophy, I see that splitting classes for “PvE classes” and “PvP classes” and balancing mesmers around PvP is not corresponding with it. Thus, I believe that players who like to solo-trick champs in PvE can also get some love with some of the other new traits, which could combine tricking with pure damage rather then with removing yet another stack of defiance.

But well, I also understand that putting this specific trait in the preview made sense as people who play mesmer presumably use it mostly for PvP anyway.

20 level 80s and counting.

in Mesmer

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

Too bad that new Warrior trait isn’t good enough for use in optimal PvE Warrior meta builds.

Actually it is. You completely drop slashing power and forceful greatsword, use seaweed food for 10%+ damage while moving and then trait 30/30/0/0/10, taking dual-wielding, axe mastery and berserker’s power – then deep strikes, rending strikes and dual-wield agility which is basically a 20% damage increase to PvE warriors. You can either go the last 10 in defense for cull the weak or stick them in discipline for signet mastery, so it just makes the meta go from 30/25/0/0/15 to 30/30/x/x/x.

New mesmer trait was a let down, was hoping for some sort of PvE buff rather than a cutesy trait that does a whopping zero to improve our position in the meta.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

in Mesmer

Levetty.1279

looks at GW1 Mesmer

Yeah actually.

in Mesmer

Posted by: cyyrix.6105

cyyrix.6105

It definitely looks like fun, but we’ll have to see how it plays.

CI is such a strong interrupt trait that it will be hard to give up. If Debilitating Dissipation gets nerfed, dropping Deceptive Evasion in favor of 30/10/30 might be fun. Otherwise it’s probably a choice of 30/20/20 or 20/20/30.

Still though, great news for interrupt mesmers! Throwing off thieves with a 10s Hide in Shadows CD sounds so juicy! Now all we need is a 1s cast time on Reset Refuge

Cyyrix | Marypoppins Deathsquad [mds] | Team Riot [RIOT] | Blackgate

(edited by cyyrix.6105)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

Wow… there are builds in my mind which just became extremely awesome :>
[6 4 4 0 0] would be one for sure
What’s next then? There will be 4 other new traits for us. I’m afraid of having a chaostrait that can’t compete with PU and an illusionstrait that can’t compete with IP but I’m really looking forwart to Dueling and Inspiration!

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Renny.6571

What’s next then? There will be 4 other new traits for us. I’m afraid of having a chaostrait that can’t compete with PU and an illusionstrait that can’t compete with IP but I’m really looking forwart to Dueling and Inspiration!

Dueling will be some kittenty mantra buff that no will ever run; I guarantee it.

elite specs ruined pvp.

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

@Carighan: If DE was in the Illusion’s tree, or Chaotic Interruption in Domination, I’d be morbidly depressed.

@Me Games Ma: I’m hoping we get an Inspiration Grandmaster that’s actually better than the major and minor traits. x_x

in Mesmer

Levetty.1279

Dueling will be some kittenty mantra buff that no will ever run; I guarantee it.

Gain 50 armour for each mantra you have slotted but not charged.

in Mesmer

Posted by: MSFone.3026

MSFone.3026

This is so incredibly awesome… holy kitten I can’t wait!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bearlin.7238

Bearlin.7238

Not sure how I feel about this, with the trait being in Domination.

Right now, I’m running the standard 20/20/30/x/x Chaotic Interruption build. If I were to try and get Power Block, I could either give up CI and go 30/20/20 or take both at the expense of DE and go 30/10/30. PVP-wise, this trait can be really amazing. WvW-wise, I’m kinda torn between CI and Power Block. The immobilize that comes from interrupting enemies in a group can be a real game-changer when fighting a group that does not have lots of stability. Also, having Power Block can potentially decrease the amount of skills you CAN interrupt, therefore also somewhat decreasing DPS coming from Halting Strike. I guess that since they are going to let us change traits out of combat, I can decide which one is more valuable to my team

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

I hate the date of the patch but dear lord… this trait got me so excited.

I’m actually running my current build without DE since the patch preview because I got the bad feeling something is going to happen. This means I might actually be fine with a 30/10/30 even though it would mean sacrificing Glamour Mastery. However… maybe there will be an awesome Glamour GM trait, too.

I want that patch, now!

PS: Poor Guardians. Talk about boring.

in Mesmer

Posted by: cDKI.8352

cDKI.8352

I’m glad that Anet is introducing more active traits that into the game instead of passive garbage like PU.

This is definitely a step in the right direction for bringing mesmers back into the meta. I don’t think this will make mesmers viable without a few small tweaks:

- This trait needs to put skills 2-5 for thieves on cooldown. Unless mesmers are given a way to fight against meta thieves, they will never be used.
- Mesmer needs a GW1 “Cry of frustration” skill to give it some AoE cc. (IE: rework mantra of distraction or dom. sig. to function like “Interupt/daze a target. If the target was interrupted, daze/stun nearby foes”)

I think with those tweaks something like a 30/20/0/0/20 S/S, Staff build will be the next thing.

In any case I hope that Anet brings back the GW1 mesmer; I missed people flaming me for locking them down with interrupts.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Stormbolt.7293

Stormbolt.7293

I’m really interested in the other grandmaster traits. Hopefully we’ll get some good shatter ones.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Good luck interrupting healing signet.

Nonetheless this sounds like one of the good new traits coming out. Interrupting other heals will secure many a kill.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

in Mesmer

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

if it got any more rewarding (like this additional trait) it’d be OP for sure.

ftfy

in Mesmer

Xyonon.3987

Inspiration trait wise I would like to see something like “heal yourself / your allies whenever an illusion dies” :o

in Mesmer

Posted by: EverythingEnds.4261

EverythingEnds.4261

I suppose, they gonna nerf the damage from halting strike. That’s why we’ll get this GM trait…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

Nice, mesmers in GW1 were all about locking people down and interrupting. Looks like they are trying to encourage that some more in GW2.