[OMFG] Build of the Month Contest – November

in Mesmer

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

—BUILD OF THE MONTH CONTEST (NOVEMBER)—

Hi everyone,
Welcome to BotM Contest for this month November.

I’ll try to keep it short and straight to the point.

This is the 2nd running of this event; the rules are exactly the same as last time with only one exception: You don’t need to be in the guild to vote anymore. Please review the rules in first page of this thread

—THE ORB—
For this month event, the following people have been chosen to represent the Official Review Board:
Pyroatheist
skcamow
Alissah

ORB members are expected to know the rules by heart, back to back, inside out, etc. and act as Game Masters as well to keep the people well-informed.

—THE PARTICIPANTS—
Please make yourself familiar with the rules of the game to prevent yourself from being at a disadvantage.

—IMPORTANT DATES—
30th Oct: Contest starts.
12th Nov: Registration ends, cannot submit your build for the contest after this date.
20th Nov: Stage 1 of the contest ends and Stage 2 starts.
10th Dec: Stage 2 of the contest ends and the contest is concluded.

Now the time frame is quite extensive compared to last time to give some leeway for any unforseen issue. This also means no contest for December. In fact, this is how I plan to arrange this event, once every 2 months despite of the name.

Alright, let’s get started.

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

—SCOREBOARD—

Stage 1 results
———————————————————————————————————
Build 1
Link to build thread
Current score:
ORB approval:
Final score:
Stage 2 results
Build 1
Link to build thread
Current score:
ORB test results:
Final score:

Related News

- 30th/10/2013: November BotM Contest officially commences.
- 3rd/11/2013: The contest is put on hold and deferred until further notice.

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

—BUILD REGISTRATION INFO—

Build 1

Build name: Build 1
Originator name:
Tester partner name:
Link to build thread:

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

—GAME RULES—
Please refer to this thread for details about the rules of the contest.

—RECAP: HOW TO ENTER THE CONTEST—

THE PARTICIPANTS

A person comes up with a new build is called an originator.

If an originator wants to enter the contest, they need to:
- /POST: Create a thread on forum to show as many details as possible about the build (just like they usually do already). Please follow this guide on how to present your build on forum.
- /ARRANGE: Arrange with a tester in-game to be your tester partner and together form a group of two. The group will work solely on the build throughout the whole contest to improve, refine, and test the build to its fullest potential, etc.

Notes about tester

- Any person willing to spend time working with you to refine the build during the contest can be registered as your tester partner.
- The guild has its own testers who already want to test out builds, so approach them, express your need, and bring them on board with you. Remember the tester will also get their own reward if the build wins. The reward value will be based on how much they have contributed to the build when the contest is over.
- If you have friend in the guild who is currently not a Tester rank, then just put a note for me, I’m sure I can arrange to change their rank to Tester, even if it’s just for this contest.

- /SUBMIT: Submit your build, preferably in this following format in this thread:

Build name:
Originator name:
Tester partner name:
Link to build thread:

- /REGISTER: Get your build reviewed and accepted by the Review Board to be fully registered in the contest.

What the participating team CAN do:
- Modify the build (as long as the changes are not radical and the build stays true to its original idea, design, and purpose) UNTIL it gets approved by the Board for its viability OR Stage 1 ends on patch day, whichever comes first.
- Continue posting to inform the forum about the changes in your build, provide tips and tricks, upload videos, tutorials, etc. The idea is to continually improve the build effectiveness AND popularity so you get more upvotes, and thus higher positive score.
- Communicate in-game with fellow players to inform and get feedback from whoever (including the Board members as well) decides to test out your build.

What the participating team CANNOT do:
- Modify the finalized version of the build when it’s already approved.
- Upvote or downvote any build
- Influence fellow players’(including the Board members) opinions through mischievous means (bribery, intimidation, etc.)

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

—FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS—

Q: Why the need to pair up with a tester? If I come up with a build and also have Tester rank in the guild, can I just do everything by myself?
A: You must always have a tester partner in any case. The reasons are: testers will provide the originators with extra time and resources (gear, money, testing experience, etc.), something the originator can lack, and more importantly, they will provide a second perspective when it comes to evaluate the build. Overall, as two minds working together instead of one, the team is better at identifying issues with the build and can come up with better ideas on how to improve and refine the build during the contest. In addition, this setup will promote community growth by providing opportunities for guild members to work and play together towards a common goal.

Q: How do I change my vote in Stage 1? Do I make another post or just edit the existing post?
A: If you could pretty please post the vote again instead of editing your existing post, that would save me a lot of headache (backtracking is not easy). Thanks and cheers.

Q: If a build is not approved by the ORB, can it still pass Stage 1 and go to Stage 2? Also, what if the final score at Stage 1 is something like +10/-10, in other words, positive pts = negative pts?
A: Without approval from the ORB, as long as the build has more upvotes than downvotes, the build still comes through to Stage 2. However, you will still need to have your finalized version of the build checked against its original version (when first submitted) by the ORB so that they agree upon it’s the same build. In the extreme case of a build having net 0 pts (something like +10/-10), the build will be looked at on a case-by-case basis and I will discuss with the ORB in private whether the build should be allowed to proceed to Stage 2 or not.

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

—SUGGESTIONS/FEEDBACK—

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

Posted by: WitchKing.5317

WitchKing.5317

Really looking forward to this botm contest, it’s really exciting to see new and creative builds come out. Good luck to everyone !

Fanged Wisdom- [BBQ]/[OMFG]
The Corrupt Mesmer Builds

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

Bump to increase visibility so people won’t miss out.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Warlord of Chaos.7845

Warlord of Chaos.7845

I can’t wait to see some creative builds that people have. I will be writing my opinion on each of them from a tpvp, roaming, and zerging perspective so that way the builders can improve their specs. If it is a pve build then sorry, I’m really bad at pve.

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

Time to get a tester.

in Mesmer

Posted by: themenaceofseventhdimension.2075

themenaceofseventhdimension.2075

Guys! Come on!! barely over 200 views like whut?? I know you guys have some cool builds. You yourself described who you are in Chaos’ thread. Now we want to see the build.

If you aren’t attending because you are afraid and want your build to be seen only by you, well, that’s sort of shameful.

If you can’t find the time, well, that’s ok I guess.

But if you are not attending because you are afraid of being criticised? Don’t worry! This is a friendly contest. Good place to become part of the community. Join now!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

^ This…. Amazingly, this.

@keenlam: I’m wondering if maybe we shouldn’t require a tester for the contest as much as heavily encourage one. It ends up being a bit restrictive since schedules are all crazy with school and different timezones (US/EU) and such. The less hurdles for entry, the higher the interest.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

@keenlam: I’m wondering if maybe we shouldn’t require a tester for the contest as much as heavily encourage one. It ends up being a bit restrictive since schedules are all crazy with school and different timezones (US/EU) and such. The less hurdles for entry, the higher the interest.

Great idea, actually!

It would make the contest seem less ‘serious’ and more ‘friendly’.

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

This isn’t a bad idea actually. The build creator would be at a disadvantage compared to one who has a tester, but if someone is that confident in their build, they could just choose to refine solo and freely enter the contest.

The other thing the tester can somewhat help with is build viability, but that determination is ultimately vetted by the ORB anyway.

That said, this would not be to encourage folks to enter their builds without first trying to find a tester. I can’t speak enough how much a tester really helped me in the first BoTM. I could (but will spare you) share the large walls of text we exchanged while playing/refining it. It was such a productive process and honestly some of most fun and fulfilling I’ve had playing this game. So, all would be strongly encouraged to find a tester, but if you can’t, we wouldn’t prevent entry.

Another note – I would try the following things, at the very least, to secure a tester:

• Let your request be known in the OMFG Tester’s Thread and BOTM thread.
  • In game via the guild window, OMFG guild members are marked appropriately as testers. Ping them directly via forum or whisper/mail in game. Do not be shy to do this! They are marked tester for a reason. That is how I found my first tester.
  • One more thing. if you do secure a tester, love on them. It’s a very unselfish thing they are doing and it can take a bit of time. I personally felt led to compensate them (a nice tip, if you will). Of course this isn’t required but it promotes good will for the process and the work being done on your behalf.

keenlam will have to provide thoughts, just some ideas here.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback.

To people who are new to this event. I have added the section —RECAP: HOW TO ENTER THE CONTEST— detailing the steps to participate. Please check it out in the first few posts of mine.

Regarding the originator-tester setup and why it’s there, I just want to reiterate:
It’s not so much as a requirement but please look at it as a way this contest aims to promote our guild community growth, the in-game communication between guild members, in particular. And I’m sure you can make great friends by working together as a team.
skcamow has provided great tips on how to get yourself a tester in the post above me. So use it as a starting point.

Also, a note about the issue Menace raised:
“Fear of criticism” and thus discouraged to enter the contest.
Yes, your build will be judged and criticized, but it will be the most respectful and constructive manner.
We have the most helpful and friendliest people and the best community here so no need to be afraid.

Cheers,

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

Yes keenlam is right. No need to be stressed out about being afraid of the build stuff. Maybe the ORB members can even PM you the results privately. Anyhow there will be absolutely NO unnecessary bullying in this contest or anything else in the Mesmer forums. Me, keenlam, Chaos, Pyros, and everyone else will defend by you if such thing would occur. I check the Mesmer forums at least like 30 times a day. I know what the conversations are going on. Trust me. I will defend your honour if it happens that it was unfairly criticised. Post your build, watch as it gets some votes, try other builds, and have fun! Who knows? Maybe your build will win and you will gain lots of prizes!

in Mesmer

WitchKing.5317

Yes keenlam is right. No need to be stressed out about being afraid of the build stuff. Maybe the ORB members can even PM you the results privately. Anyhow there will be absolutely NO unnecessary bullying in this contest or anything else in the Mesmer forums. Me, keenlam, Chaos, Pyros, and everyone else will defend by you if such thing would occur. I check the Mesmer forums at least like 30 times a day. I know what the conversations are going on. Trust me. I will defend your honour if it happens that it was unfairly criticised. Post your build, watch as it gets some votes, try other builds, and have fun! Who knows? Maybe your build will win and you will gain lots of prizes!

Wow some deep stuff, and I agree with you. We aren’t just a bunch of bullies haha, we are here to have fun and help each other out.
That’s all I think needs saying. Now lets get back to the fun stuff

in Mesmer

Could some kind tester help me test my Apex Predator Build?

I live in California and play from Friday to Sunday (Afternoons on Friday)

in Mesmer

WitchKing.5317

Could some kind tester help me test my Apex Predator Build?

I live in California and play from Friday to Sunday (Afternoons on Friday)

Might be a good udea to post that in the omfg testers testing thread as well.

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

Hi guys,
Just a friendly reminder that if you have any question, don’t hesitate to ask (either post here or catch me in-game).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Butter.3024

Butter.3024

How do I get a tester?

Man wish you guys didnt require a tester in order to enter the competition D:

in Mesmer

You don’t need a tester~!
If you can’t find the time to find a tester or just can’t find one, it doesn’t matter. We will gladly make sure your build gets entered. The Tester thing is just for your own benefit, so if you feel that you can’t get a tester or that you don’t need one, just post the build here. Just try to make it as viable as possible, so as to increase your chance of winning the contest

LET EVERYONE SEE THISSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

If you can’t find the time to find a tester or just can’t find one, it doesn’t matter. We will gladly make sure your build gets entered. The Tester thing is just for your own benefit, so if you feel that you can’t get a tester or that you don’t need one, just post the build here. Just try to make it as viable as possible, so as to increase your chance of winning the contest

Menace, please for the love of god, don’t spread misinformation.
In order to enter, you need to pair up and get a tester.

@ Butter: you can try the tips skcamow listed above, and if you really struggle, pm me here or in-game and I’ll do my best to help you.

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Menace, please for the love of god, don’t spread misinformation.
In order to enter, you need to pair up and get a tester.

@ Butter: you can try the tips skcamow listed above, and if you really struggle, pm me or in-game and I’ll do my best to help you.

That’s incredible, I can hear the annoyed exasperation in your voice all the way over from behind my monitor…

in Mesmer

Sorry guys. Hehe. I thought i heard the other day that tester is not required if you experience hardships of aquiring one. Guess I over exaggerated it without knowing it. Sorry people. Forgive me.

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

Sorry guys. Hehe. I thought i heard the other day that tester is not required if you experience hardships of aquiring one. Guess I over exaggerated it without knowing it. Sorry people. Forgive me.

Menace, i wasn’t really in the best mood when I posted that reply. But anyway, no hard feeling.

in Mesmer

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

i made a build thread but dont know if its qualifying
its inspired by lockdown and PU builds
also made a video of it

if its good tell me what i need to do

thanks

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

i made a build thread but dont know if its qualifying
its inspired by lockdown and PU builds
also made a video of it

if its good tell me what i need to do

thanks

@ messiah: Hi messiah, check out the section —RECAP: HOW TO ENTER THE CONTEST— up top, i have detailed the steps u need to follow to enter the contest.
Cheers.

@ All: there is a change in ORB member, Chaos Archangel has delegated his position to Alissah in order to make himself available as a Tester.

in Mesmer

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

thanks
ive read it and posted in the forum and i see i dont need tester as i dont have one

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

Hi guys,
I have discussed with Pyro and with regret, I have decided it is in everyone’ best interest to defer this contest until the next big class balance patch comes through in mid-December.

If you are planning to join this contest, please don’t feel disappointed but rather take your time:
- to polish your build,
- read and understand the rules I set out for the contest
- get to meet people in the guild so when time comes you will have little trouble getting a tester.

I know its an awfully long time to wait until then and believe me I myself can’t wait for it long enough. But I hope the patch will bring us great changes and opportunities to theorycraft and come up with interesting builds.

Again, thanks all for your continuing support.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

@ All: there is a change in ORB member, Chaos Archangel has delegated his position to Alissah in order to make himself available as a Tester.

NOOOOOO!

Great job Alissah. Who is going to be my tester now?

Hi guys,
I have discussed with Pyro and with regret, I have decided it is in everyone’ best interest to defer this contest until the next big class balance patch comes through in mid-December.

Totally makes sense.

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Wait.. we’re not having a BoTM till next year!?! Por que!?

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

I’m curious about this as well. If we deferred until after the December patch, there would likely need to be a burn in period for folks to get acclimated to the new changes and theory-craft new builds, putting a realistic next BoTM to begin (at least) on the 12/24 patch (if there is a release on that day due to holiday – not sure Anet’s schedule).

I think there is enough time to do a November BoTM, seems there are many builds this time around. We could then take a break for a few weeks while the balance patch sinks in and do the next BoTM in late December or starting the first January 2014 patch.

I’m up for whatever, just some thoughts.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

Uhm, as far as I know, a build of the month contest only takes about 1 month, the new balance patch will come at like halfway through December. It seems to me that we still have time :o.

Oh well :P

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

Off the record guys,

It feels like to me that there has not been much interest in the contest because since the last contest, there is simply no major change to our class (the mantra change was not anywhere near ground-breaking).

Also, I hope in December people will have more free time with all the holidays and be active in-game and on-forum.

So yeah….

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Well, lets not jump the horse though. Yeah people are playing more casually now with school/work/finals and all that, but we’ve got at least 2-3 people who are intent on entering and when I was a judge, having 3 builds to test extensively was kind of time-consuming. The less builds, the more thorough the examination.

It’ll still be fun, and we have time to do one now and then another for after the patch. The way I see it, the more we host a contest the more attention it gets and thus a higher chance for more participants for next time. ’

But this contest is your baby keenlam, so its totally up to you. I’d ask to atleast hold off on your decision to cancel until the entry deadline.