[OMFG Suggestion] Porting Business

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

I’ve been thinking that our guild lacks an economic base to it. I mean, it’s true that we are more freestyle “do your own thing”, but I also think that it would be beneficial if we took some advantage to our mesmer monopoly; the Portal.
Everyone here understands the importance of a Mesmer in jumping puzzle situations, and I’m not suggesting that we force people to pay money just to use our portals.
The idea is that we could create a sub-guild of OMFG that advertises to non-mesmers. Our people join as “Porters” which can access the guild bank, which will be the more important aspect of it, while non-mesmers join as “Customers[or Patrons]”, which can’t access the bank in order to prevent theft.
The Customers will use the guild-chat to call and see if a Porter is around to help with a certain jumping puzzle. The Porter can then answer if they feel like it. The Porter will then travel to where ever the puzzle is, solve it, and port the Customer through. The Customer will then send a 10 Silver fee into the guild bank. Porters are allowed to take half of their job as a small reward while, at the end of the week, the money will be sent to [OMFG].

I understand there are still holes and kinks to work out, but what do you guys think about the idea?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

I think this is a pretty interesting idea. Doubly so since it’ll help guild members learn jumping puzzles.. which also gives me another idea!

I’m definitely down to try this out, but I dunno how much we can talk about it on the forums since the mods are funny with gold-talk. I think it’d be a cool system if we could make it work though.

in Mesmer

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

I think charging for ports is not going to work and is a bad idea. I never charge just offer a port when I am there for a few mins.. and I never tip when I get one. It is not like it costs anything to put a port down. It is more just doing something nice for your community than trying to make gold.

-Edit to add also 10 silver for a port is insane. Do you even get 10 silver out of a chest for the most part? I know I don’t.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Thats true, but Im looking at it from a different perspective.

If Im not mistaken, this is more of a subscription-sort of thing where the non-mes isnt just paying for one portal; they’re paying 10s (or whatever) to have a Meamer on-call to port them for whatever they need. jumpinng puzzles, map completion, dungeon runs, maybe even some wvw help? In any event they’re pulling the mesmer away for what could be quite some time depending on their needs.

I think its worth exploring. Could be a complete flop, but we wouldnt know unless we tried. Either way we’ve nothing to lose and potential profit to gain.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

Thats true, but Im looking at it from a different perspective.

If Im not mistaken, this is more of a subscription-sort of thing where the non-mes isnt just paying for one portal; they’re paying 10s (or whatever) to have a Meamer on-call to port them for whatever they need. jumpinng puzzles, map completion, dungeon runs, maybe even some wvw help? In any event they’re pulling the mesmer away for what could be quite some time depending on their needs.

I think its worth exploring. Could be a complete flop, but we wouldnt know unless we tried. Either way we’ve nothing to lose and potential profit to gain.

Sounds like its worht a try, actually. We could make a seperate guild for people who are willing to port. A person who wants to get ported simply picks someone from the list of members ranked as ‘porter’ and whispers, or something.

I know some people leave their mesmers afk in jumping puzzles forever, and in that case it could be in the message of the day or something.

10 silver per month sounds fair :P

edit: what are we going to do with the money O.o upgrades and stuff dont do much since its only for 1 server :/ Maybe it can fund the rewards for contests and stuff :o

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.