PSA...A Scepter's Message to Mesmers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Revelations.3154

Revelations.3154

I find your ignorance amusing…

Scepter 1 + Scepter 2 = Mirrored Images

That’s a freebie…You’re Welcome.

A message from Revelations:

Scepter is a Mesmer’s Best Control Weapon how you want to define “Control” is up to you and your proficiency and knowledge of the Mesmer Profession.

If you want a hint look at the parallels between Scepter and Main hand Sword… Heh heh heh…. If by now you see what I see then you know the beauty of Scepter…

That is all.

in Mesmer

Posted by: kylia.4813

kylia.4813

…An attempt at a self ego boost by offering cryptic information to a cooperative community, to feel as if you hold more information than others do.

To break down your ignorance of your attempt to show synergys with the Scepter with other MI.

Scepter 1 + scepter 2 does not equal Mirrored images, reasoning:

total cast time SS – 3+ seconds (based on distance from target)
total cast time MI – instant

Creation of clone button press requirements SS – 3 activations of primary attack plus 1 activation of secondary attack AND the requirement that you are hit while 2 is channeling.
Creation of clone button press requirements MI – 1 button

Damage outputted SS – White damage + block and torment
Damage outputted MI – Zero

Total recharge time for same effect SS – 12 seconds
Total recharge time for same effect MI – 45 seconds

Location of Clone creation SS – 1 on Mesmer, 1 at target location
Location of Clone creation MI – On Mesmer

On top of that using the subjective word of “Best” for control weapon, is always best prefixed with stating it is your opinion/perspective, after all in my opinion the Staff is alot more of a control weapon.

That is all.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Samiell.1259

Samiell.1259

Cryptic.
I’ll agree, sceptor is a good weapon for confusing the hell out of players. Especially when paired with stealth and dualing X clone on dodge. Spitting out clones from stealth is just gravy. A confused player is your advantage ie, control. Scepter 2 now tossing a decent dot on a player is just frosting, especially when built for condition damage. Just knowing that all ya have to do is walk into player aoe or line of fire with block… Yeah, I like sceptor but only with a correct build.

Black Ops supply line disruptions.

in Mesmer

Revelations.3154

Ego boost? The block is instantly applied after you have front loaded scepter if you time it right 2 Clones so w/e. Have it your way Oh, Great and powerful Mesmer Guru Kylia. Just opening eyes…opening minds is just my wish…

Edit: No one mentioned “instant” you implied it based on me using a MI as the utility. MI was used as the nearest example that would explain why you would use that combo but again w/e I do not have ego to “boost”. I have nothing to prove and it seems I have nothing further to say…

(edited by Revelations.3154)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Snip

Preach it brother!

in Mesmer

kylia.4813

Lets break down the initial post:

First it states its a PSA, giving the reader a belief that this will be a post to assist and inform.

It then opens up with “I find your ignorance amusing…” Which of course is a direct attack on the individual reading the post, since there has been no referent to the pronoun made at any stage.

We then continue with a base equation that has no valid backing, and moving onto a “your welcome” showing an expectant request from the reader that after being fooled into the post, belittled and then given a half displayed equation that they should be thankful and of course creating a pre-disposed requirement to thank.

You then continue your PSA still using the referent pronoun which of course the reader has now taken onto themselves as the source of that pronoun, you move onto a belittling statement advising that if the reader does not know some supposed (no context) information on the scepter that you are questioning their actual proficiency as a Mesmer. (Directed attack)

You finish up with another cryptic statement followed by a laugh, which at this time can only be directed at the reader due to the multiple referent points that were never defined.

Perhaps next time, spend a few minute’s re-reading your post before posting to make sure that the message which I am sure is in there somewhere, is delivered in a way that will assist and encourage others to investigate and learn.

in Mesmer

Revelations.3154

Listen… I can read in between the lines. Your “brother” made that apparent as soon as he posted. The mesmer forums doesn’t need another talking head to tout their supposed knowledge of the Mesmer profession.

I don’t have a podcast or YouTube channel for the masses to glean verbatim knowledge straight from game play. What I do have is experience, what I also have is the willingness to challenge ignorance from people who dismiss a weapon simply because they are closed minded and maybe not proficient with it. But again it’s my perception of the matter…

Whatever a person reads it is internalized and perceived to be whatever they want and however they want to construe it. You perceived my post and condescending to those who may have been offended my apologies that is how I write to challenge and awaken people.

But I will say this one more time from one of my previous posts concerning my intentions for writing:

“No gimmicky ego inflating names just make it work and make it yours.”

in Mesmer

Revelations.3154

Sorry for double posting…I will not be replying to this post again. Moderators this post has ceased to be edifying to the Mesmer community. You may delete if necessary. Thank you.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hexxen.7216

Hexxen.7216

Kylia said it perfectly but just going to add one thing:

MI = Stun Break

S1+S2 = Not a Stun Break

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Well that’s pleasant.

Assuming you take the 5 seconds necessary to charge up to the third cast, and assuming your target is stupid enough to attack into the block, and assuming your block doesn’t get tripped by the wrong target, and assuming your third scepter attack doesn’t get bodyblocked by the wrong target, or miss.

Scepter is a Mesmer’s Best Control Weapon how you want to define “Control” is up to you and your proficiency and knowledge of the Mesmer Profession.

The only forms of control the scepter has are indirect. It has no true cc at all. Not sure how this translates to best control weapon.

If you want a hint look at the parallels between Scepter and Main hand Sword… Heh heh heh…. If by now you see what I see then you know the beauty of Scepter…

Parallels between scepter and MH sword you say? Let us count the ways.

1. Autoattack: Scepter is slow and does nothing but spawn a clone. Sword is fast, provides vuln, and strips boon. They both do damage.
  2. Blurred frenzy provides 2.5s of evade, and high damage. Illusionary counter provides a block. They both are a form of defense and offense.
  3. Illusionary leap/swap is a double leap combo, a stun break, a cripple, and an immobilize. Confusing images is a slow, obvious, channeled attack that doesn’t hit very hard and provides 5 stacks of confusion.

I fail to see your point.

in Mesmer

kylia.4813

How we communicate is everything, those truly out there to train, teach, and share knowledge will take the time to review their form and style of communication to reach the largest audience. For example, L&D basics tell us to deliver training material in Visual, Audio and Kinesthetic means. If someone delivers in only one style they are not taking into consideration the audience’s needs.

The same applies when sharing info on a communal forum for the betterment of the community, try to deliver your content in a way that will reach the majority of people and not the minority. And always attempt to stay away from indirect pronoun statements, as they will the majority of the time, be taken in the wrong context.

Delivering cryptic content only serves the individual delivering it, as anyone who does not understand the cryptic content could feel cheapened, stupid, and a myriad of other negative emotions, not a message I would want to deliver to individuals when trying to help and share knowledge.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Moaning Marv.2194

Moaning Marv.2194

Marry me Kylia :P

Moaning (thief) Marvolo (mes) Mordaunt (necro)
Knights of the White Wolf
Sanctum of Rall

in Mesmer

Posted by: Voodoo Tina.4180

Voodoo Tina.4180

My my, Revelations, you seem nice.

in Mesmer

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

I don’t like jumping into Heated or tense discussions but I must say just one thing. Why are you saying people are ignorant? Why do you think people don’t use scepter?

There ARE Mesmers out there who have scepter builds. Not that many but NOT little either….

Don’t assume you know something special bc other people are using the same weapons

I don’t use it, cuz it doesn’t suit my play style just like how most people might use sword or pistol and I have stopped using sword altogether recently… It’s preference…. There’s nothing about knowing something or not here.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dhampyr.2104

Dhampyr.2104

Moderators this post never was edifying to the Mesmer community. You may delete if necessary. Thank you.

Fixt. And +1 to the delete request.

Eve Morrow, Mesmer, Eve Flamescythe, Ele
Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xephiare.4793

Xephiare.4793

I already know what the scepter does, and it’s not entirely the best crowd control mesmer weapon. We have the greatsword #5, pistol #5, Focus #4 for cc. Scepter does shine as a condition weapon though, paired with clone condition on death traits.

To all the moral aspects of this thread:
I respect your opinions and hints, and I don’t think you’re merely posting this for an ego boost, although your tone sounds condescending of course to those offended—I didn’t i’m all good.
I think you were just too excited and by that, expressed your knowledge here, while others took it the wrong way. You should revise your writing before posting to make sure people don’t get hurt, and to avoid others correcting you, like kylia b/c I agree w/ her.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I don’t have a podcast or YouTube channel for the masses to glean verbatim knowledge straight from game play.

To be fair, anyone who links a video (especially for a build, instead of just linking the build) instead of writing it in text first needs to re-evaluate how much time they have free in one day, as I could absorb the text in 30-60 seconds which fills a 15-20 minutes video. And unless it’s a stop-motion video with audio explanations of why which ability was pressed when, this video provides 0 extra information compared to a short snippet of text.

Anyhow, back to the point, in the same vein you’re not helping anyone when you give cryptic information. If you got something to share, say it. If you just want to cheer people up about the Scepter, say it. If you want to tell people off for thinking Scepter is a weak weapon, say it.

Cryptic messages you can use if you ever need to be a preacher.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kagato.5390

Kagato.5390

Revelations: to cure the burning condition inflicted upon you, equip mantra of resolve and use it ASAP.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Runeseeker.9304

Runeseeker.9304

I’m not sure why you would willingly waste your own time writing useless, cryptic information on this board, Revelations. Either say what you are going to say clearly and concisely so people can understand it, or don’t say it at all. All it seems like to me is that you are trying to make yourself “look cool on the internet”, which comes off as very childish.

Kylia has basically covered the pros and cons to each method, and I find MI’s reliability to be more useful than the gimmicky-ness of a 3 hit chain, and block.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sega Mega Dave.4195

Sega Mega Dave.4195

Kylia – Bonus points for destroying someone on the internet without insulting. You win todays internet.

Knee Deep In Crit [CRIT] – Desolation

in Mesmer

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

All i see here is an attempt to turn a very hostile post into a good conversation, i applaud Kylia that, of course the internet is a weird and wonderful place, the OP might not of meant for it to come across in the way that i (personally) read it.

But for arguments sake how about Revelations you post the build you use and how it is played with i’m guessing you using the scepter and why / how it provides more control than other options?

in Mesmer

Posted by: blutstein.2468

blutstein.2468

The mesmer forums doesn’t need another talking head to tout their supposed knowledge of the Mesmer profession.

yes, we need more people like you who post some pointless bs and lack of critical faculty…. oh wait, you left in a huff!!

kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zumi.6384

Zumi.6384

As others have said, Kylia summed it up perfectly. Promoting the use of the scepter is fine, but explain how you use it instead of claiming that all other Mesmers are ignorant. That statement is easily the most ignorant sentence on this post.

I’m not sure what he has against what he refers to as “talking heads” either. In other posts he even claims that they’re ignorant and then says that the people who take the time to experiment know what he’s talking about. I’m pretty sure there are very few Mesmers our there who have experimented anywhere near as much as Kylia and Pyro. They’ve brought a lot to the Mesmer community, and I’ve gotten some of my best build advice/ feedback from them.

Now that I’ve said that, Kylia/Pyro any time you wanna theory craft hit me up, it’d be a blast to join you guys

Willowbreeze: Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kanto.1659

Kanto.1659

To be fair, anyone who links a video (especially for a build, instead of just linking the build) instead of writing it in text first needs to re-evaluate how much time they have free in one day, as I could absorb the text in 30-60 seconds which fills a 15-20 minutes video. And unless it’s a stop-motion video with audio explanations of why which ability was pressed when, this video provides 0 extra information compared to a short snippet of text.

Nemesis over the Necro forums drives me nuts with this. He has his grip on things and his effort to help others is laudable, and I’ve used his guides. But his insistence in using videos can drive me to distraction. I need to check traits? Here I am browsing the playback bar. I want to check his gear? Random browse the playback bar. What sort of sigils in his weapons? Browse the playback bar.

in Mesmer

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

4/10 to OP.

10/10 replies.

Would read again.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I guess that makes two of us.

Equal sign implies equality.

RIP in peace Robert

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kirec.2394

Kirec.2394

I fail to see your point.

Oh blind one, you must ascend to higher levels of being in order to grasp the…wait…

……

Nah, it’s because there isn’t one. Typical internet “smart” guy wants a boost to his ego (disagree, Xephiare) with a “greater than thou” post instead of making a valid argument or contribution (as evidenced by his “I’m not posting anymore” exit).

On topic: The argument can be made that sword is still better in any PvP situation other than ranged spam. Your “cryptic” message has not changed my mind, nor do I even know what you’re trying to convince me to agree with. If you would like to do so, speak plainly and drop the act.

Edit: Looks like you moved to another thread.

(edited by Kirec.2394)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Moaning Marv.2194

Moaning Marv.2194

Nemesis over the Necro forums drives me nuts with this. He has his grip on things and his effort to help others is laudable, and I’ve used his guides. But his insistence in using videos can drive me to distraction. I need to check traits? Here I am browsing the playback bar. I want to check his gear? Random browse the playback bar. What sort of sigils in his weapons? Browse the playback bar.

Hahaha yep, i played one of the videos a few months ago assuming it was a few minutes to check out the gear/trait and few clips of it in action…. it turned out to be an hour or so i believe. Ya, i turned it off :P

Moaning (thief) Marvolo (mes) Mordaunt (necro)
Knights of the White Wolf
Sanctum of Rall

in Mesmer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

That is all.

Scepter is great. With the scepter 2 buff I am actually taking it over sword.
However for control no, for that we have:

Focus, pistol, GS, MH/OH sword , and Staff… This game defines control by moves that stop skills or halt movement. Scepter has none of that. Your definition of control here is the irrelevant thing.

Scepter 1 spam takes way longer to charge up than any mirror images.
In any shatter build you can spawn a phantasm and 5 clones by the time scepter 1 is done snailing along to give you a clone.

While opinions of our weapons are great and welcome trying to make the scepter seem like anything more than a somewhat condition weapon and even more so saying it is our best control weapon well let me just say

Attachments:

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Mesmer

jportell.2197

That is all.

Scepter is great. With the scepter 2 buff I am actually taking it over sword.
However for control no, for that we have:

Focus, pistol, GS, MH/OH sword , and Staff… This game defines control by moves that stop skills or halt movement. Scepter has none of that. Your definition of control here is the irrelevant thing.

Scepter 1 spam takes way longer to charge up than mirror images.
In any shatter build you can spawn a phantasm and 5 clones by the time scepter 1 is done snailing along to give you a clone.

While opinions of our weapons are great and welcome trying to make the scepter seem like anything more than a somewhat condition weapon and even more so saying it is our best control weapon well let me just say

TROLOLOLOL

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

If they’d change that #3 to be similiar melee skill like the engineer confusion skill, then maybe scepter would be a fun weapon. Currently its so clumsy and painfully annoying to use. And that auto attack… Unless if you are fighting ugh, I don’t know what, a stone maybe? Well unless you are fighting against that stone you don’t have time to use it at all.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Stranger.2039

Stranger.2039

I’m still waiting to see what the Scepter’s message to us was.

Stranger Still,
Charr Mesmer of the Blood Legion
Northern Shiverpeaks

in Mesmer

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

I’m still waiting to see what the Scepter’s message to us was.

It was the first bit, before the “message from revelations”. So far, I thought it was quite amusing (like the tone of a miffed and slightly under-appreciated Scepter), but the “message” was irritating in its condescension.

in Mesmer

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

I will not be replying to this post again. Moderators this post has ceased to be edifying to the Mesmer community.

It never was edifying to begin with. What Kylia said was spot on. There are ten thousand ways that you could have done this thread, most of which would have been well received by the community as a whole. For instance, you could have mentioned how to use the scepter effectively, using several conditions on clone death to wrack up conditions quickly while also providing a quick and constant resource of clones. Add to that the use of the block as an underdog ability and highlighting effective uses for it could have well produced an effective means of promoting debate and dialogue about the option.

Instead, you made a cryptic message to “open the reader’s mind”, promoting nothing at all except your self-apparent experience with the mesmer. If you truly wanted to open reader’s minds, you could have provided several ways that the scepter can be used in different situations with different builds etc. challenging the user to mix and match what you provided for them to look at.

So really, no amount of you ‘reading between the lines’ will take away your complete lack of ability to communicate with other people on the forums. Nothing you’ve written on this thread was edifying in any manner possible. You chose one way which most people would take as being offensive, tried defending yourself and then saying you are being attacked by people simply explaining how what you wrote was not helpful or thought provoking in the slightest. Cryptic messages helps no one, especially if you’re trying to present an idea.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

At least he stays true to himself, considering this statement:

Disclaimer: I am not only cryptic with my knowledge but very protective of it. Call me what you want it is just my nature I don’t like spelling things out.

He just didn’t realize yet that many people probably consider that very annoying.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

Sorry, but this post was never edifying. Here is a revelation for you: It you want to contribute to the community then just spell out what you want to say. Say, “Hey! Scepter is actually a good weapon and here is why”.

Layering your posts with condensation and vagueness may boost the egotistical sense of self you obviously crave, but it doesn’t add any value to the community. All of your posts and self referential descriptions just make you sound like someone with low self-esteem who has to boast about their ‘knowledge’ so that they can feel competent, yet also has an inferiority complex that causes him to be vague about that knowledge so that you can give yourself a false sense of superiority.

in Mesmer

Master of Timespace.2548

For instance, you could have mentioned how to use the scepter effectively, using several conditions on clone death to wrack up conditions quickly while also providing a quick and constant resource of clones.

But this is just pure bull kitten as well. In any REAL fight you do NOT have time to use scepter auto attack.

in Mesmer

jportell.2197

For instance, you could have mentioned how to use the scepter effectively, using several conditions on clone death to wrack up conditions quickly while also providing a quick and constant resource of clones.

But this is just pure bull kitten as well. In any REAL fight you do NOT have time to use scepter auto attack.

Which needs addressed. Scepter AA needs a faster cast time!

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

Agree that the speeding up the auto-attack would be awesome. I use scepter in a power build, so I don’t need the auto-attack to add a condition.

Also, I made a note in the other scepter thread about getting 4000 damage on some scepter blocks. I can’t replicate this now. I did more testing in Orr and the results stayed consistently around 800 base and 1900 when I crit.

in Mesmer

Master of Timespace.2548

Agree that the speeding up the auto-attack would be awesome.

No it wouldn’t. It would merely perhaps make it worthwhile to use it at some random moments. Even if they’d speed it up by 100%, it would still be weak.

Also, I made a note in the other scepter thread about getting 4000 damage on some scepter blocks.

The block skill is fairly useful because of it’s damage. But it’s also the only reason one should ever use scepter. Sword has stronger auto attack, better defense and more utility (stun break, teleport, short cripple and immobilize). It has even boon removal. It’s a good and interesting weapon. Scepter however, perhaps somewhat ironically, is the dumb and clumsy ogre club.

(edited by Master of Timespace.2548)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

They can keep the weapon’s speed, "projectile" speed has to be increased though.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake