PU Power Any Good?

PU Power Any Good?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Behemoth.2193

Behemoth.2193

Hi mesmers. I’m here asking if PU power builds are any good in WvW. I tried the Blackwater build a while ago and I liked the stealthing and boons and whatnot but I hated the fact that because it is condi it starts losing effectiveness the second i join a zerg or go back to PvE. I was thinking something like this:
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=VO;4VPVz0;0RV-71;9;4JJT;048-39;09B;9;1m9fgm9fgm-FvNJP7;34-8WCXIYM3U_-o-G-2i;9;9;9;9;9;9;0VR-6B

Obviously missing utility/trait/sigils are for your recommendations, I main a necro and guardian so I’m not sure what’s the best if the build is a good idea. I just dislike phantasm builds and I’ve played shatter to death so I wanted to try this.

PU Power Any Good?

in Mesmer

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

I believe it can be tweaked to become a power support tank kind of build.
Something like this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQNAsfWl0zKq3UTgGb9IipHBHyBckUUavWJF62FC-jUBBYfCiJPFRjtMsIasKbYqXER1SBoryI-w

Basically you jump right into the middle of enemy zerg, inflict all those nasty conditions (cripple, weakness, vulnerablity), boonshare with allies, stealth away when things get too rough.

You won’t do fantastic dmg as a tank, most dmg will just come from your normal attacks, blurred frenzy, and retaliation. But it shouldn’t be an issue when zerging in WvW.

PU Power Any Good?

in Mesmer

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

I play this PU power build. http://bit.ly/14SIa7E

When I look at your build, I’m wondering whether you want the clone traits that you’re taking. I don’t know that they will contribute too much to your damage and you have stealth for survivability

I’m using the phantasms as my primary source of damage. So this build is limited in zergs – I tend to fight on the edges. It’s really fun for solo and team fights – especially if you prefer to fight from range. It works fine in any PVE that I’ve done, but I haven’t done much PVE recently.

I don’t see a ton of PU power builds posted here, but it’s been a very fun playstyle for me. Good luck!

PU Power Any Good?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bunda.2691

Bunda.2691

I’m starting to think that PU power builds are as/if not more effective then purely condition variants like blackwater. I’ve been playing around a lot with hybrid builds, and though I keep coming back to the 20/20/30/0/0, I’ve been having a lot of success with Greatsword (zerker), Scepter/Torch (rabid), knights armor (traveler runes), and a mix of rabid and zerker trinkets.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQNAR7flwzKqXQTmGb9IipHBnvBckUoavWJF22FC-j0CBYLAINRmWAiEJwJQFRjtMsIasqaAaGYqUJV5KyeDKrSBAzYA-w

Even unbuffed you have over 3000 attack and ~750 condition damage (and this is mostly without ascended gear, too). However with dual sigils of battle, mirror blade, and bountiful interruption, you can basically start off a battle with 10+ might stacks, and then climb even higher.

I’ve also had good success against other PU mesmers with this build. Once I have two iZerkers up, they’re basically finished.

Anyway, I’m finding this a lot more fun than blackwater because of the speed (travelers) and ability to chase from GS. iZerker cripple is great, and blink + Illussionary Wave is one of my favorite combos altogether.

I’d be curious too to try it with Rampager or Zerker gear, but my runes of the traveler are stuck on a knights set, and I don’t really want to buy another set of them.

(edited by Bunda.2691)

PU Power Any Good?

in Mesmer

Posted by: themenaceofseventhdimension.2075

themenaceofseventhdimension.2075

I know first hand the effectiveness of the combo Bunda mentioned, since I have been the first one to post and put together a build on that. However, that build Loses a lot of times against MH sword builds. It just doesn’t have the melee to face MH sword head to head. It will crumble if MH sword plays right and surprise attacks from stealth. That is why my revised build, which will come out tomorrow, is updated to better suit that problem. Check it out when it comes up. It is called, the Apex Predator.

PU Power Any Good?

in Mesmer

Posted by: blutstein.2468

blutstein.2468

there’s also a power variation of the 20/20/30 build around, with Sw/T – GS even before blackwater. Its called Hidden Fire… works fine!

kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten

PU Power Any Good?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Klat.5846

Klat.5846

This build was posted over three weeks ago: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Maximised-Hybrid-Phantasm-Build-Roaming

It’s more of a hybrid build but it’s still very much power based than condi. I’ve been using that build ever since the original poster posted it and I’ve been having quite a very good amount of success with it.

OP uses a hybrid zerker/rabid gear but I use celestial in sPvP and zerker armor + knights accessories in WvW instead and feel the build is still excellent. It can easily beat blackwater mesmers out of the water too, I’m not sure how but for some reason this build is able to do that. Taking on 2 or 3 opponents is quite doable as well provided you’ve had a good amount of practice with it.

Despite having only one condi removal from your heal + Mender’s Purity – condi necros, engineers, mesmers and etc are still easily beatable. I’ve been toying around with my utilities and took out veil for Arcane Thievery instead and have had numerous success with it too – there are times where I miss having an extra stealth for escapes against uneven odds but then there are times I miss having a more reliable condi removal to win a fight.

Either way, it’s a good foundation to base your PU build on and can be tweaked to your desires.

PU Power Any Good?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Helios.3598

Helios.3598

http://intothemists.com/guides/1562-gs_prismatic_20
is my current build. It’s fairly similar to what you have. Here is how I rate it in WvW:
- Excellent small group roaming build
- Excellent scout
- Good solo (camps and 1v1). Can be beat 1v1 by a focused 1v1 lockdown build.
- 66% as effect of a tagger in ZvZ as a necro or guardian. Brings necessary zerg utilities.

For you empty minor Chaos trait I’d definitely go DD with your setup. Yes, those bleeds won’t be as effective, but aoe weakness and vuln is pretty awesome and they don’t need condi dmg.

Guard Killer wxp upgrade also works well with this build. I also took Siege Bunker, but I still need Supply Mastery 4…

mesmer of Blackgate
http://intothemists.com/

PU Power Any Good?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bunda.2691

Bunda.2691

I know first hand the effectiveness of the combo Bunda mentioned, since I have been the first one to post and put together a build on that. However, that build Loses a lot of times against MH sword builds. It just doesn’t have the melee to face MH sword head to head. It will crumble if MH sword plays right and surprise attacks from stealth. That is why my revised build, which will come out tomorrow, is updated to better suit that problem. Check it out when it comes up. It is called, the Apex Predator.

I find main hand sword to be a bit lacking in the current PU meta. Granted it helps with control, but that’s what the greatword is for. With all of our invis and min 2 stunbreaks, mainhand sword is just so easy to kite around. And if I have retaliation up from the torch phantasm or block trait, i’m happy to eat the blurred frenzy.

That said, main hand sword is great in great players’ hands, and has a much higher skill cap than scepter. If you lose to a MH sword mesmer, chances are they are better than you anyway.

PU Power Any Good?

in Mesmer

Posted by: sendmark.4731

sendmark.4731

Yes Doiid’s build is great.

PU Power Any Good?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

It is good but as interesting to play as a Spirit Ranger.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

PU Power Any Good?

in Mesmer

Posted by: themenaceofseventhdimension.2075

themenaceofseventhdimension.2075

to be fairly honest and frank Bunda, I have dueled Osicat’s condi cat builds and other MH sword stealth builds with GS and Scepter/Torch for over 3 months almost. I know how devastating they can be. There is just no stopping a MH sword build when paired up with stealth and other mobile utilities and weapons. Plus GS, Scepter/Torch sucks at 1 vs X, just don’t have the change of combat style to throw your opponent off. When you lose to the same type of builds against even noobs, that tells you that something is wrong with your build. I don’t really want to accept it, but it is what it is.

PU Power Any Good?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Hi mesmers. I’m here asking if PU power builds are any good in WvW. I tried the Blackwater build a while ago and I liked the stealthing and boons and whatnot but I hated the fact that because it is condi it starts losing effectiveness the second i join a zerg or go back to PvE. I was thinking something like this:
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=VO;4VPVz0;0RV-71;9;4JJT;048-39;09B;9;1m9fgm9fgm-FvNJP7;34-8WCXIYM3U_-o-G-2i;9;9;9;9;9;9;0VR-6B

Obviously missing utility/trait/sigils are for your recommendations, I main a necro and guardian so I’m not sure what’s the best if the build is a good idea. I just dislike phantasm builds and I’ve played shatter to death so I wanted to try this.

Id swap blade training for retaliatory shield.

PU Power Any Good?

in Mesmer

Posted by: blutstein.2468

blutstein.2468

to be fairly honest and frank Bunda, I have dueled Osicat’s condi cat builds and other MH sword stealth builds with GS and Scepter/Torch for over 3 months almost. I know how devastating they can be. There is just no stopping a MH sword build when paired up with stealth and other mobile utilities and weapons. Plus GS, Scepter/Torch sucks at 1 vs X, just don’t have the change of combat style to throw your opponent off. When you lose to the same type of builds against even noobs, that tells you that something is wrong with your build. I don’t really want to accept it, but it is what it is.

that is simply wrong, MH Sword can be avoided easily with bf being stationary and especially with the immobilize-clone pathing issues.

If you can’t fight with Sc/T – GS doesn’t mean it sucks or others are noobs. this is kind of an arrogant statement.

kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten

PU Power Any Good?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hexxen.7216

Hexxen.7216

that is simply wrong, MH Sword can be avoided easily with bf being stationary and especially with the immobilize-clone pathing issues.

If you can’t fight with Sc/T – GS doesn’t mean it sucks or others are noobs. this is kind of an arrogant statement.

Can’t agree more.