PvP build, is viable?

PvP build, is viable?

in Mesmer

Posted by: nxk.1932

nxk.1932

Hi!
I play with boon maestro from Mr ChaosAngel and i like it.. but I love that agressive playstyle of shatter. I dont like staff/GS shatter (helseth) build… it is ofc good build but.. i absolutely dont know how i have to play with it. I training with that build for min 2. weeks and Iam still so bad. But i find this build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fhAQNAsfRlknpMtlqxWNcrNCrxg6s26MSOQAlsirB-TZhFwAAOBAMOEAw3fIxTAYaZAA
But this build is using only in wvw for roaming. And my question is.. is this build viable for pvp and is as good as that ranged version? If yes, which runes, utilities do you mean will be good ..? Maybe any trait changes?

Thanks for help and sorry for my bad english. /Nova Spei

PvP build, is viable?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jurica.1742

Jurica.1742

It can work, the issue with it is it has sword. Sword was bad in PvP to begin with, with this nerf it’s almost 100% useless.
You have GS which is a good weapon to use for PvP, then sword and torch:
Sword
Autoattack – you never use it, it’s a good autoattack but you go in melee range in PvP and autoattack, you will take so much damage, you’re squishy, you get hit, it’s like being hit by a truck, autoattacking in melee range will get you hit a lot.
Blurred Frenzy – you can use it for defense but then again, is having an entire useless set worth this one skill? Offensively isn’t not too good. You go in, which you were able to do with ileap, but now, since the clone gets instakilled, you really can’t anymore, then either walk out of the point which takes time and you will take a lot of damage or blink out which is a big cd waste.
iLeap – It sucks now as the clone gets instakilled by cleave/aoe in PvP.
Torch
Prestige – Pretty much only good for escaping. You can use it to do a surprise stealth burst, even then, if we take that bf is actually good, you have 2 semi-ok skills on an entire weapon set vs. 4/5 on staff, + the staff skills are 100% useful, none are semi-ok, except the phantasm there.
Phantasm – plain out sucks..
Also, as a shatter mesmer, you don’t really go on point too often, you’re mostly ranging with greatsword, so sword basically is an unnecessary hassle Staff gives you more mobility, defense and utility than any other mh+oh weapon combo. The only 100% viable builds we have for PvP now are staff + gs lockdown (which is basically shatter but you take 6 out of illusions and put it in chaos then take interrupt traits to benefit from interrupting) and the shatter build. Oh, also PU condi but that one isn’t good for anthing other than sPvP and it takes a while to learn how to rotate with it ect.
I’d be more than happy to meet you in game and help you out with staff + greatsword shatter. I don’t know if you read my guide, if you didn’t do check it out, it should help you a lot with the build(It’s in my signature). I’d also recommend watching Lord Helseths stream. It will help you out a lot since he does explain what he does and why, what his role is ect. somewhat often, also, his kiting guide on foefire is a lot of help. You instantly become 5x better than you were when you start using those tips. Have a wonderful rest of the day mate!
Much love,

~Monns

Pineapples rule

(edited by Jurica.1742)

PvP build, is viable?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Raiyo.1584

Raiyo.1584

i am willing to learn that shatter build , i also tried that build but i dont know to play it well .

i do pvp a lot so maybe we can meet ingame .

PvP build, is viable?

in Mesmer

nxk.1932

Thanks for post Jurica,
yes I read your guide.. I read almost 10 guides + Helseths videos + ESL streams and videos. I read all guides about mesmer at this forum but.. I Idont know Iam maybe just bad player… I know that staff is just better.. but —> I meet warrior… basic rotation… his attack → blink and Iam dead. Hammer or insta 7k dmg from axe is death for me and I dont have endless of dodges. Thief is death after 2-5sec for me. Heartseker.. or condi all of them because I have only null field with 40sec cooldown —> 8 stacks of bleed and I going down pretty fast. Necro… words are useless here. And Helseth guide at foefire? I just dont know how it he doing… I tried “blink” with staff skill from those rocks to that bridge… and nothing for once… and 100x nothing.

PvP build, is viable?

in Mesmer

Jurica.1742

That is all very easy. You just need to learn a few tricks, the enemy builds and how to counter them. I’ve had issues with necros and warriors before, but after a few tips from Helseth, they became a lot easier, though warrior is still a massive pain 1v1. Add me in game and when you see me online PM me. I’ll help you out.
You can’t expect to be able to beat everything and do everything, that just won’t happen. There are classes that are hard to kill, but all you need is practice and experience. If you see you’re loosing, don’t be afraid to pull out a bit to reset then come fight again. I have a lot more to tell you but we’ll get to that if you decide to PM me in game. Don’t give up yet. Give it a little longer.

Pineapples rule

PvP build, is viable?

in Mesmer

Raiyo.1584

maybe the three of us should meet ingame , some places worked with the staff retreat , but i am still not playing good with this build . like nxk said when i encounter a thief idont even last for a few seconds . since staff and gs are actually only ranged weapons and the thief pure close combat

PvP build, is viable?

in Mesmer

Raiyo.1584

i am also in OMFG perhaps thats easier

PvP build, is viable?

in Mesmer

nxk.1932

Ok thank you very much Jurica

PvP build, is viable?

in Mesmer

Jurica.1742

I’ll be online for the next couple of hours from now on. If you want to log in now, I’m online

Pineapples rule

PvP build, is viable?

in Mesmer

Raiyo.1584

oh thats gonna be difficult today but tomorrow i can be there for sure if u can

PvP build, is viable?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

nxk! Sooo sorry! I meant to reply to your PM, got distracted by a tumbleweed, and it totally slipped my mind. =[ Your build is solid, but I’d recommend replacing Elasticity (Illusions VII) with Invigoration (VIII) so you can shatter more often, I think Invig will be a bigger boost to your damage, defense, and overall usefulness.

It can work, the issue with it is it has sword. Sword was bad in PvP to begin with, with this nerf it’s almost 100% useless.
Sword
Autoattack – you never use it, it’s a good autoattack but you go in melee range in PvP and autoattack, you will take so much damage, you’re squishy, you get hit, it’s like being hit by a truck, autoattacking in melee range will get you hit a lot.
Blurred Frenzy – you can use it for defense but then again, is having an entire useless set worth this one skill? Offensively isn’t not too good. You go in, which you were able to do with ileap, but now, since the clone gets instakilled, you really can’t anymore, then either walk out of the point which takes time and you will take a lot of damage or blink out which is a big cd waste.
Torch
Prestige – Pretty much only good for escaping. You can use it to do a surprise stealth burst, even then, if we take that bf is actually good, you have 2 semi-ok skills on an entire weapon set vs. 4/5 on staff, + the staff skills are 100% useful, none are semi-ok, except the phantasm there.
Also, as a shatter mesmer, you don’t really go on point too often, you’re mostly ranging with greatsword, so sword basically is an unnecessary hassle Staff gives you more mobility, defense and utility than any other mh+oh weapon combo. The only 100% viable builds we have for PvP now are staff + gs lockdown (which is basically shatter but you take 6 out of illusions and put it in chaos then take interrupt traits to benefit from interrupting) and the shatter build. Oh, also PU condi but that one isn’t good for anthing other than sPvP and it takes a while to learn how to rotate with it ect.
I’d be more than happy to meet you in game and help you out with staff + greatsword shatter. I don’t know if you read my guide, if you didn’t do check it out, it should help you a lot with the build(It’s in my signature). I’d also recommend watching Lord Helseths stream. It will help you out a lot since he does explain what he does and why, what his role is ect. somewhat often, also, his kiting guide on foefire is a lot of help. You instantly become 5x better than you were when you start using those tips. Have a wonderful rest of the day mate!
Much love,

~Monns

I don’t really agree with a lot of this…

The sword is still a good weapon. The nerf hit it much harder for WvW than in PvP. Sword 3 isn’t useless, and people really shouldn’t be so dramatic about the change. It hurt, but it didn’t break Sword. Sword Auto is underrated and does good damage in addition to stripping a boon. While obviously you won’t be using it THAT often, being able to squeeze an extra 2k+ here and there really comes in handy and starts to add up. Each hit of Sword auto, if it crits, does over 1k and the final hit can nail around 2k if the enemy has no boons. Blurred Frenzy speaks for itself (dat retal tho) and sword 3 still works, it just has to be used more thoughtfully then just sending it out whenever you please.

The torch just rocks for PvP. Prestige alone makes it worth it -you can pull off some nasty shatter bursts with this and it makes for an excellent escape tool and our only BLAST Finisher- and the Phantasm is shatter fodder if nothing else.

Shatter Mesmer can fight on point, especially when using sword. Using Sword+Torch/GS gives you both powerful melee and ranged options and you should take advantage of both these tools depending on the situation. Jump into fights with a heavy Prestige shatter burst, bail out when you need, range with the GS before you get there or versus an opponent you don’t wanna melee (like a Warrior).

PvP build, is viable?

in Mesmer

nxk.1932

Thanks for post Angel!
Do you think that this build can be as good as GS/staff variant Angel?

(edited by nxk.1932)

PvP build, is viable?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

In most cases yeah. GS/Staff is a different playstyle that works for different people. It has its advantages over this build but this build also has advantages that GS/Staff doesn’t.

It really comes down to how you play and what feels best for you. The theoretical “if two people of exactly same skill were to run this build versus that build which would win?” question really doesn’t work here. Some people will naturally perform better with one build over another.

PvP build, is viable?

in Mesmer

Posted by: blitzkrieg.2451

blitzkrieg.2451

People should really quit making the sword 3 nerf out more than what it really was. It was a bug fix and it hurt, but it wasn’t that big of a hit. It’s still a very viable weapon and still amazing in alot of areas.

“sword 3 still works, it just has to be used more thoughtfully then just sending it out whenever you please.”

I think what Chaos said pretty much describes what everybody was doing before because it was bugged and didn’t work properly. People just randomly threw out the 3 clone half hazardly with no risk because even if it died, all you had to do was remember the place you shot the clone at and you’d be fine and since it was on a 9 1/2 second cooldown traited you’d have it back up almost immediately. Now it takes some thought behind when you need to actually use the skill, and people are kittened about it.

Tanbin – Ranger / Thief / Ele
Maguuma

PvP build, is viable?

in Mesmer

nxk.1932

nxk! Sooo sorry! I meant to reply to your PM, got distracted by a tumbleweed, and it totally slipped my mind. =[ Your build is solid, but I’d recommend replacing Elasticity (Illusions VII) with Invigoration (VIII) so you can shatter more often, I think Invig will be a bigger boost to your damage, defense, and overall usefulness.

Sword
Torch
Much love,

~Monns

I don’t really agree with a lot of this…

The sword is still a good weapon. The nerf hit it much harder for WvW than in PvP. Sword 3 isn’t useless, and people really shouldn’t be so dramatic about the change. It hurt, but it didn’t break Sword. Sword Auto is underrated and does good damage in addition to stripping a boon. While obviously you won’t be using it THAT often, being able to squeeze an extra 2k+ here and there really comes in handy and starts to add up. Each hit of Sword auto, if it crits, does over 1k and the final hit can nail around 2k if the enemy has no boons. Blurred Frenzy speaks for itself (dat retal tho) and sword 3 still works, it just has to be used more thoughtfully then just sending it out whenever you please.

The torch just rocks for PvP. Prestige alone makes it worth it -you can pull off some nasty shatter bursts with this and it makes for an excellent escape tool and our only BLAST Finisher- and the Phantasm is shatter fodder if nothing else.

Shatter Mesmer can fight on point, especially when using sword. Using Sword+Torch/GS gives you both powerful melee and ranged options and you should take advantage of both these tools depending on the situation. Jump into fights with a heavy Prestige shatter burst, bail out when you need, range with the GS before you get there or versus an opponent you don’t wanna melee (like a Warrior).

Why not more bouncing Angel? I think that it is better than refresh shatter per minute or not?
And do you agree with traveler runes and utilities combination?

PvP build, is viable?

in Mesmer

Jurica.1742

With the invigoration trait, it’s a lot easier to play and you can take more risks, blow distortion early ect. With bounces, mirror blade does a lot more damage which gives allies more might, the enemy more vulnerability and damage. Traveler runes are fine for sPvP but anywhere else I don’t think it’s a good thing to run.

Pineapples rule