Req for purchasable, alt skin for Mes skills

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dyvim.8293

Dyvim.8293

I understand this would take dev time, hence the inclusion of an optional skin in the black lion shop, to be purchased.

I also understand how important class identification is in pvp, etc., but really there arent that many classes. An alternate mes skin for particle effects etc. witha different color and non-butterflies, would be easily recognizable.

What I am talking about is the option to have something other than purple/pink and butterflies. Really. It rocks for chics, but is, well, pretty effeminate for anything else. Not that there is anything wrong with that, and sometimes it makes me snicker, but I would like to have the option for something more NEUTRAL, particularly for male toons. Just sayin’…and I am willing to pay for it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

I dunno, Dyvim. Just ask yerself how secure a guy is in his manhood/ability to get women … if he can rock those colours with a straight face?

Although, it could be interesting if done right … replace shatter/blink effects with -iunno- levitating swords or somesuch.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: Winds.3087

Winds.3087

Solution is simple: play necromancer.

in Mesmer

Dyvim.8293

Solution is simple: play necromancer.

tbh I really dont care for necro. Mesmer is much more fun, and has more utility. I can do things with my mesmer that I cant do on any other class, especially necro…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

If you’re not man enough to have butterflies around you, just imagine you cutting them apart with your skills. >.> They are exploding mid-air.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

Kinda sexist. Not all girls are into pink and purple butterflies, and not all guys are against them.

Buuuut I tried to show my mother my Mesmer once and, well, she has a phobia of moths and butterflies. She wouldn’t even look at the kitten thing, even without any casting going on. So, yeah, I’ll second that request. Keep the colour, that’s Mesmer to the bone, but the butterflies? They can go.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dess.4391

Dess.4391

Yeah tbh id rather have only the glass breaking effect, but meh, mesmers are so fun that i would play1 even if it had rainbows and pink unicorns all over also

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I really don’t see an issue here. I see plenty of guys wearing pink shirts in the real world. It’s just a color. Butterflies can also look very menacing (like the owl butterfly), and they are a metaphor for transformation. The Mesmer is perfectly neutral.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

Butterflies = Chaos Theory
Killing with pink/purple butterflies = priceless
Also 14277278th thread on this

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in Mesmer

Posted by: Slowburn.5319

Slowburn.5319

The community has spoken… can we get this implimented now? Please.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

Except the majority don’t mind the butterflies as they are. Besides, would rather have them spend their time fixing bugs than changing colours.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in Mesmer

Posted by: Slowburn.5319

Slowburn.5319

Except the majority don’t mind the butterflies as they are. Besides, would rather have them spend their time fixing bugs than changing colours.

Well the threads weren’t created by people who wanted to say they just didn’t mind…

Bugs fixes are important! Different teams though I’m sure.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Besides, some people not minding shouldn’t eliminate the option for those who do mind.
… Not that I mind, lol.

But seriously, both aesthetically and lore-wise, a Norn Mesmer? He should explode in a burst of blue blizzard-like snowflakes or something.
A Sylvari Mesmer could shatter into leaves.
An asura mesmer could shatter into those blue cube-things like that creature in the Asura starter story.
A charr Mes.. uh…

in Mesmer

Posted by: kerona.3465

kerona.3465

A charr Mes.. uh…

Furballs?

Maguuma [PYRO]
Oblyth, Mes ~ Nadeshiko Naito, War ~ Hwertu, Gua
Evenree, Necro (M) ~ Ran Still Died, Thief

in Mesmer

Posted by: DaisyRogers.6837

DaisyRogers.6837

Yes!!!!! we should replace them with… RAINBOWS AND UNICORNS!!!!!!!!!!! oh wait… that bow already exists… they need to hurry up and allow mesmers to equip the bow so that we can truly be complete.

in Mesmer

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

I vote for interchangable skills as well. I personally don’t have a problem with the way they look now, but I could certainly appreciate more diversity in looks. Maybe certain weapons could change the way phantasms look like on your end?

In the meantime, if you feel the purple butterflies and poofing sounds offend you somehow, try to think about the guy on the recieving end. Sure, you just did some glass shattering and butterflieing, big deal, but someone out there just got totally anihilated by that. Now that’s effeminating. =)

in Mesmer

Posted by: EsLafiel.4517

EsLafiel.4517

I’m a guy and I got purple glass’s(tons of purple/pink shirts)and the hottest girlfriend on the earth….

So stop losing your manhood to a kitten color.

Also a quick history lesson, pink was consider manly and blue was consider girly, until the 1920’s.

Also another one purple have always been use as a royal color and noble color.

Now a science lesson, pink don’t exist no such thing as it wavelength and no mix of wavelength makes pink. It a illusion are brain makes.

Another one butterflies make illusions on their wings to fool predators.

Last lesson of the day their also use in the chaos theory.

In the end, plz devs dont listen to these people. The Scheme of the Mesmer, fits it personality perfectly.
It apart of what make the mesmer who it is, and if you dont like it. Then dont play the kitten class, because this is what give it personality.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Malice.8439

Malice.8439

Pink and Purple are traditionally colours that symbolize male fertility, regalty and virility. Your fear of it is… Amusing.

That being said, I fully support any and all means towards further customization, even if the motives appear… lacking.

All warfare is based on deception.
- Sun Tzu, Art of War

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

I’m a guy and I got purple glass’s(tons of purple/pink shirts)and the hottest girlfriend on the earth….

So stop losing your manhood to a kitten color.

Also a quick history lesson, pink was consider manly and blue was consider girly, until the 1920’s.

Also another one purple have always been use as a royal color and noble color.

Now a science lesson, pink don’t exist no such thing as it wavelength and no mix of wavelength makes pink. It a illusion are brain makes.

Another one butterflies make illusions on their wings to fool predators.

Last lesson of the day their also use in the chaos theory.

In the end, plz devs dont listen to these people. The Scheme of the Mesmer, fits it personality perfectly.
It apart of what make the mesmer who it is, and if you dont like it. Then dont play the kitten class, because this is what give it personality.

Pink and Purple are traditionally colours that symbolize male fertility, regalty and virility. Your fear of it is… Amusing.

That being said, I fully support any and all means towards further customization, even if the motives appear… lacking.

OK, I’ll admit, I did not know ANY of that, and it does change my perspective quite a bit. But further customization options and effects, though unlikely, would still be nice.

in Mesmer

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Ha, this guy.

Probably along the same line of thinking as the wars that slash at mesmers in their dungeons groups or that rage quit as they get a pike in the face from a mesmer. Those butterflies are rage inducing. For that alone mesmer is win.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Deviija.7869

Deviija.7869

Mesmer is wonderful and awesome as it is. Colors, butterflies, and all.

If you want to put up skill/color change options in the gem market for all classes, then I’m okay with that. It’s optional and one would have to pay for it. But I don’t see this as any kind of priority atm.

in Mesmer

Dyvim.8293

Its just personal preference, folks. The mesmer color scheme and effects are somewhat effeminate. That is hard to argue. Does it bother my manhood? No. Like I said, alot of times, I snicker at them, as mesmers melt players and npcs alike. Heck, depending on the build, mesmers can cause players to melt themselves, which is really snicker worthy. However, I would like the option, an option I am willing to pay for, to have something other than pink butterflies.

Do the pink butterflies stop me from playing the class? No. Do I love the game play of the class? Yes. Is this a crucial, game breaking issue? No. Do I want to take a single thing away from anyone that likes the pink butterflies et al. and wants to keep them? NO.

Alot of the things we see in the cash shop are not crucial. Most of them, in fact. Separate teams. So this clearly could be an item that the cash shop team could work on, independent of other crucial issues that they would NOT be working on anyway.

I am willing to pay for it. I know others are, too. Thx.

(edited by Dyvim.8293)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Knox.8462

Knox.8462

This won’t happen because:
- It’s extremely time and resource consuming to implement.
- Anet want all skills to be easily recognisable.
- It would look like rainbow vomit if everyone chose what their skills looked like.

Now instead of immediately thinking, pink butterflies=girly, I suggest you think about what they actually represent:

- Pink is historically more associated with boys than girls.
- Pink is typically used to represent psychic powers.
- Butterflies are associated with Chaos theory.
- Butterflies can fool predators with their wing patterns, real-life illusionists!

(edited by Knox.8462)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

Intriguing. I barely even notice the butterflies anymore because I’m too busy killing.

What would you have instead of the butterflies?

Gandara

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Intriguing. I barely even notice the butterflies anymore because I’m too busy killing.

Twirling ribbons. /sarcasm

Remember GW1 Mesmers? I don’t see people complaining about THEIR flamboyance.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Butterflies = Chaos Theory
Killing with pink/purple butterflies = priceless

+1 for butterfly = butterfly effect = chaos theory <- this perception to wards the symbolism is another major reason I rolled a mes.

Purple and dark pink isn’t really that bad really, it’s just another energy colour, I mean you shoot a beam out your great sword options would be nice but I’m not complaining.

Only aesthetic thing that’s kind of lame is the butterfly mask as a emblem. But it’s hard to think of much else fitting that isn’t overly complicated.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in Mesmer

Dyvim.8293

Well, anet has done very well, Im sure they could come up with an alternate that was incredible. I am old school…1970s p&p d&d and ad&d…so I think illusionist and things like chaos, confusion, prismatic spray, prismatic orb, hypnotic pattern, etc., which this class copies quite a bit…

So I would go with a non-insect…something like a hypnotic pattern…something brief, small, simple, with three or 4 options…think early window screen saver geo patterns…but updated and sexier…but basically something along the lines of a “hypnotic pattern” instead of a butterfly…

As far as color…its ok, but would prefer something more red. Guardians have blue, necros have green, thiefs have black…eles have several…cant think of the others right now…

in Mesmer

Posted by: damny.9342

damny.9342

- Pink is historically more associated with boys than girls.

And with royalty!

… anyway, I’d pay for a way to just change the colour of any class signature skills. I like pink, but I also like customization.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alchemist.3692

Alchemist.3692

A charr Mes.. uh…

Furballs?

Charr mesmers and thieves are just… strange. I can never take them seriously