Speculating on Torment and movement

in Mesmer

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

The new Torment condition sounds interesting – damage to opponents who are moving.

I’m wondering how this actually works. Does it tick and if the opponent is holding down a movement key at that time, then it damages? Or does it do damage constantly while the key is down? Or does it look at distance?

Seems like there could be interesting interactions with Torment and blink, dodging, portal, and the cripple condition.

Any guesses on the actual mechanic?

in Mesmer

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

Lol well it sounds like it will hurt more than confusion.. I am very excited though. I think there will be quite a few complaints about it early on though from those that do not know to use condition removal.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Richard Nixon.6573

Richard Nixon.6573

Think of how a bleed works- every second there is a check on the number of stacks of bleeding. Then it calculates how much damage should be done, then applies it.

My guess is it works the same way, but has the “if target is moving, then increase the damage” during the calculation of the damage.

-1-800-GUILD-WAR? They can’t have my ’Brand… I have special eyes.
-Look, look with your special eyes!
-My Dragonbrand!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

We had “Barb” effects in Rift and WARhammer.

I can’t tell you how excited I am because I love running Condi builds but haven’t since the nerf.

This is great news though I’m not looking forward to thieves putting a barb on me either.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Expiatus.4210

Expiatus.4210

Anvil Rock – Out manned, out gunned and no repair costs, so Leeroy up and dive in.
See you in Tyria.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sobiech.9613

Sobiech.9613

So happy I haven’t broken down my Rabid Armor. I believe this will bring back the condition based Mesmsers that did so much with Confusion before. fingers crossed

Reine Tovar [HoTR] – Mesmer
Aerika [HoTR] – Necromancer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

My guesses…

• It’ll either be on Winds of Chaos(Staff1), Chaos Storm (Staff5), Ether Chain(Scepter 1), or Phantasmal Mage(Torch 5) if not a Shatter/Clone-Death trait.
  • Stacks Intensity: A bit problematic since most of our conditions tend to be random. I’d assume the base damage will probably be a little better than poison, but worse than bleeding. If the target’s moving, the damage’ll be similar to burning.
  • I doubt it’ll affect teleports, but it’ll be interesting if it does more damage the further away you are from the target.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Winds.3087

Winds.3087

Just for laugh, let’s imagine they will torment us by adding torment to… sword.
Sword 4 or sword 3, pick your coin.
Say, clone swap on sword 3 adds torment instead of immobilize.
Or sword 4 adds torment instead of daze when doubletap.

Jokes aside, I doubt they will add it to autos. Remember, that necromancer will have it on 5th skill in DS, and they have been initial source of this new condition. Would be just illogical if mesmers(I think we all agree not taking thieves into any equation, let’s pretend they are stealthed and don’t exist) could be more efficient in tormenting, than necro.
Scepter 2 torment instead of blind looks more like it. Chaos storm too.

in Mesmer

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

It would be interesting if this made Wastrels Punishment somewhat valuable.

Move and you take Torment damage. Don’t move and you take increased damage from other attacks.

That general pattern could apply in terms of putting it on someone who is in an AOE damage field. Torment makes them pay to move out.

I hope it has a clear indicator like retaliation.

Seems like lots of interesting gameplay possibilities from this.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mere Image.8376

Mere Image.8376

What about the re-distribution of traits? I don’t know about you guys, but it felt like they were basically implying death to the shatter Mesmer. “Stunbreakers were over abundant in some cases” which might mean the common shatter utilities (decoy and mere images) won’t be stun breakers anymore. I don’t run shatters, but I do like access to good stun-breakers. Also they said they want to balance “over powered” builds. Other people might be excited but I’m frightened we will see some of the popular builds die. At least new ones will be possible. Hopefully iBersker will be getting a fix, but I doubt it.

Server: Ehmry Bay
Guild: Commanders of the Reborn Empire Nation [CORE]
Level 80 Professions: Mesmer, Warrior, Thief

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sabelle.2159

Sabelle.2159

I would kill to have Torment on Temporal Curtain with the cripple.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mere Image.8376

Mere Image.8376

Also, the necromancers are talking about how Torment condition will be the Mesmer bane. They are hoping it affects teleports and the damage is received based on the “distance traveled.” Which means using “Phase Retreat” could actually do more harm than good to you in some cases. Apparently this will be a way to lock-down mobility for classes like us and the thief…

Server: Ehmry Bay
Guild: Commanders of the Reborn Empire Nation [CORE]
Level 80 Professions: Mesmer, Warrior, Thief

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

It would be interesting if they added it to Mantra of Pain. The actual Mantra is “Agony, Torment, Pain!” after all.

in Mesmer

Posted by: DuckDuckBOOM.4097

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

Also, the necromancers are talking about how Torment condition will be the Mesmer bane. They are hoping it affects teleports and the damage is received based on the “distance traveled.” Which means using “Phase Retreat” could actually do more harm than good to you in some cases. Apparently this will be a way to lock-down mobility for classes like us and the thief…

I highly doubt this will happen.
“Enemies under Torment will take damage periodically; as they move, they’ll take even more damage.” They don’t mention distance traveled and the description states the damage will be periodically. This sounds like most conditions that tick once every second. Whenever that tick happens, it will probably check to see if you are moving. If you are, you take the higher damage. If anything, mesmers might be better at countering this condition since we can “move” without moving. Will just have to wait and see tough.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Serhend.6382

Serhend.6382

Remove cond on shatter/heal, you will not even notice.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

I wonder if iMage will have it? Could be a decent buff there.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Richard Nixon.6573

Richard Nixon.6573

If the leaked patch notes are correct, the only form of torment we get is through the scepter…

Illusionary Counter: This skill damage has been reduced to 25% of what it was. It now applies 3 stacks of Torment for 8 seconds.

-1-800-GUILD-WAR? They can’t have my ’Brand… I have special eyes.
-Look, look with your special eyes!
-My Dragonbrand!

in Mesmer

Godmoney.2048

This is not how it’s going to work.

I’ve used BARB affects in several games and they work on your running or walking. You’ll be able to blink but once you do blink you may consider standing still till the barb wears off.

A BARB affect has nothing to do with distance traveled nor will this one.

Shaman’s in WARhammer had a BARB. Thieves in RIFT had a BARB. I know there are other games as well. DAOC had one too if I remember correctly. In fact I believe it was Mythic over at Daoc who started the concept of BARB affects.

They’ve never had anything to do with distance.

in Mesmer

Godmoney.2048

Remove cond on shatter/heal, you will not even notice.

You also won’t kill anyone.

That trait is such trash and utter garbage. 30 points deep for a cond removal when every other class has this sort of trait at 10 or 20 points.

Sorry but telling people to go 30 deep into healing is not a viable answer to cond’s. That trait is literally trash, especially considering you need shatter on self to really make it work well.

in Mesmer

Winds.3087

That trait is such trash and utter garbage. 30 points deep for a cond removal when every other class has this sort of trait at 10 or 20 points.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mender%27s_Purity

in Mesmer

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

Shattered Conditions is actually a very powerful trait, as I recall it removes one condition per Illusion Shattered. That’s three conditions and you have four Shatter skills.

The problem is Shatter builds cannot trait into Inspiration without making heavy sacrifices, so the build that actually works with those skills is excluded.

in Mesmer

Godmoney.2048

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mender%27s_Purity

First this trait is ok at best and not worth ever going to the health tree for.

2nd I was addressing the shatter trait. The shatter cond removal is trash and far too deep for any decent mesmer to build for.

in Mesmer

Godmoney.2048

Shattered Conditions is actually a very powerful trait, as I recall it removes one condition per Illusion Shattered. That’s three conditions and you have four Shatter skills.

The problem is Shatter builds cannot trait into Inspiration without making heavy sacrifices, so the build that actually works with those skills is excluded.

Exactly. It’s far too deep to make any use of. Put it in the power tree or move it to 20 in healing then it might see some use.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aylaine.1036

Aylaine.1036

My guesses…

• It’ll either be on Winds of Chaos(Staff1), Chaos Storm (Staff5), Ether Chain(Scepter 1), or Phantasmal Mage(Torch 5) if not a Shatter/Clone-Death trait.
  • Stacks Intensity: A bit problematic since most of our conditions tend to be random. I’d assume the base damage will probably be a little better than poison, but worse than bleeding. If the target’s moving, the damage’ll be similar to burning.
  • I doubt it’ll affect teleports, but it’ll be interesting if it does more damage the further away you are from the target.

Another leaked statement said it would be 75% of bleeding damage while not moving, but 150% while moving.

in Mesmer

Winds.3087

First this trait is ok at best and not worth ever going to the health tree for.

2nd I was addressing the shatter trait. The shatter cond removal is trash and far too deep for any decent mesmer to build for.

And these things are really aggravating, because sometimes it’s better to spend 10 trait points there, but not lose one utility slot on condiremove. Every other profession has built-in condiremove one way or another, but mesmer(ranger too?) must trait for it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

Exactly. It’s far too deep to make any use of. Put it in the power tree or move it to 20 in healing then it might see some use.

20 Inspiration sounds good. 0/20/0/20/30 is still a viable Shatter build, trading 20% Mind Wrack damage for strong condition cleansing I guess.

Shattered Conditions actually used to be a Master trait, but was switched with Restorative Mantras (then a GM trait) sometime during Beta.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Savant.5276

Savant.5276

Get out yer loob, boys and girls – and be sure you’re all adequately prepared – because with Anet’s track record so far, there’s NO WAY this is going to be as good as hoped for, without there also being some sort of debilitating nerfs accompanying it.

Oh, it looks good at first blush, no doubt.
Too good. Far too good.

Far too good for this also not to have a couple of intense, yet subtle, catches that will be the equivalent of being kittened dry at the same time in crucial ways that effect dps and survivability.

Be aware.
Be very aware.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aneirin Cadwall.9126

Aneirin Cadwall.9126

It would be interesting if they added it to Mantra of Pain. The actual Mantra is “Agony, Torment, Pain!” after all.

Exactly what I was thinking. Mantra of Pain is uniquely uninteresting among the rest of mesmer’s skills.

Men who achieve some power desire more until they destroy themselves trying to get it.—Turai Ossa
Sanctum of Rall since beta 3. Mesmer since 1070 AE