Stability: The missing utility?

in Mesmer

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

I am new to this profession, so perhaps I am missing something.

I cannot find any utilities that provide stability. The only one I have seen is a mantra that gives 2 secs of stability, but 2 secs is nigh useless.

I have a both ranger and guardian that have utilities that provide decent stability. Where is the equivalent for mesmers? Is this an oversight or bug?

What do mesmers do for stability?

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

I have this issue with necro, engi and mesmer. Necro and engi elit abilities overcome that. In my mesmer, I’m lucky and I made a human. So I use avatar of melandru.

But yeah if you want a long lasting stability with a mesmer… nope.

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Phent.9350

Phent.9350

runes of lyssa with mass invisiblity are quite good combination(for pvp and WvW roaming)

[None] mesmer/ele/engi/thief/necro

in Mesmer

bri.2359

Thanks Ryn,
My sylvari mes will be spending a lot of time on her kitten then …

Gandara Megaserver

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Mantra is 4-~10 seconds depending on Harmonious Mantras and how much +boonduration you have.

Which isn’t bad at all. Lyssa also works.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

bri.2359

I run a shatter mes 20/20/0/0/30, and do not trait for mantras and have 0% boon duration. I have no plans to change this for a build just to max stability …

Gandara Megaserver

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jeremlloyd.6837

Jeremlloyd.6837

Well you have access to the Mantra of Concentration for 2 stun break / 2×2s of stability

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I run a shatter mes 20/20/0/0/30, and do not trait for mantras and have 0% boon duration. I have no plans to change this for a build just to max stability …

If you’re running shatter, use iLeap, Blink, Decoy, and potentially Mirror Images as stunbreak.

You can also use Phase Retreat to force the opponent to not hit you while you wait the cc out (doesn’t stunbreak anymore).

If you’re afraid of getting pushed or pulled, read your opponent and roll dodge.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nikku.3562

Nikku.3562

Isn’t CC supposed to be a Mesmer ‘weak spot’ anyway? I think the lack of stability was a definite design choice.

As Esplen pointed out at least we have a bunch of nice stunbreakers, and also near-permanent vigor with an investment in Duelling.

Founder of Agenda [GNDA] – an LGBT-friendly guild

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Mesmers have the easiest access to the best stunbreakers of any class. Stability is not even close to necessary.

And that being said, there’s a mantra that provides 4 seconds of stability on a 25 second cooldown.

in Mesmer

Posted by: theCOREYCOLAK.5698

theCOREYCOLAK.5698

Mesmers have the easiest access to the best stunbreakers of any class. Stability is not even close to necessary.

And that being said, there’s a mantra that provides 4 seconds of stability on a 25 second cooldown.

^this. Staff blink, hard blink, portals, decoy, sword leap, blurred frenzy, distortion… all on super short cooldown. Damage mitigation and avoidance > stability.

Corey Goes Shatter (One Fabulous Mesmer)
Fort Aspenwood

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kira.2903

Kira.2903

Mantra of concentration is in my opinion one of the most powerful stability skill in the game unless you play wvw in zergs perhaps.
Traited you can use it 3 times, it give you stability, breaks stun AND affect your allies also.
Not traited it still do the same things but only 2 times.
Stability is also only needed for when you are being hit by cc, I say having 2-3 short well times stability is better then a long lasting one. You can even take advantage of this and trick your opponent many times in to using his big cc skills and then just completely negate the cc effect up to 3 times.

S P E L L B O U N D —~--Mesmer —~--Human lvl 80
S P E L L B O R N —~--Necro —~--Sylvari lvl 80
I Kira I —~--Ele —~--Sylvari lvl 80

in Mesmer

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

I just let them hit me with CC and then i stun break them… lol I don’t need stability with so much stunbreak and ^ yep @corey/pyro on mesmers xD

in Mesmer

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

There are exceptions, such as Skyhammer. I’d much rather have 10-second stability when trying to knock a necro off that cannon than a stunbreak.

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

There are exceptions, such as Skyhammer. I’d much rather have 10-second stability when trying to knock a necro off that cannon than a stunbreak.

And have that necro corrupt it for a 10 second fear? I’ll stick to my short stability and stunbreakers. Especially at skyhammer, fast reactions on breakers will keep you alive, where stability can become a vulnerability.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

Skyhammer says hi.

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Skyhammer says hi.

I play skyhammer all the time without a hint of stability. It’s a wonder what simple good positioning, skillfull dodging, and fast reactions on stunbreaks will do.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

^this. Staff blink

Stop spreading misinformation.

Staff blink (Phase Retreat) is NOT. A. STUNBREAKER. (anymore).

in Mesmer

Posted by: theCOREYCOLAK.5698

theCOREYCOLAK.5698

^this. Staff blink

Let me clarify myself then. Use it to position yourself and avoid stuns. PREEMPTIVELY

And again, I will repeat it. Damage mitigation and avoidance > stability.

Corey Goes Shatter (One Fabulous Mesmer)
Fort Aspenwood

(edited by theCOREYCOLAK.5698)

in Mesmer

Posted by: MrAmputatoes.6031

MrAmputatoes.6031

^this. Staff blink

Let me clarify myself then. Use it to position yourself and avoid stuns. PREEMPTIVELY

Hey! Its like Infiltrator Stike on thieves sword! Oh wait, that got nerfed….

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

^this. Staff blink

Hey! Its like Infiltrator Stike on thieves sword! Oh wait, that got nerfed….

Infiltrator’s strike has no cooldown, among other differences that completely destroy that false equivalency you tried to create there.

in Mesmer

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

You can’t use MoC like stability on a guard, where you just fire and forget. Because it’s so short, think of it as more of a dodge for cc abilities, or a stunbreak if you miss the ‘dodge’.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I somewhat see our Distortion as a Stability, a upgraded version of it since it also evades all attacks. On one-handed sword, that can be traited to be 2 seconds out of every 9-ish seconds. Sure, it’s not long in duration, but if I really want Stability as a Boon, I’ll steal it using Arcane Thievery, from whoever I’m fighting. And if they don’t have Stability either, then fine, I’ll keep dodging and using Distortion as my way of getting away from some CC.

Those with access to Stability doesn’t always get to keep it. I know my foes in sPvP and WvW doesn’t. I always steal it from them, that’s mainly why I carry Arcane Thievery amongst my Utilities in the first place.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Absconditus.6804)

in Mesmer

Qaelyn.7612

I play skyhammer all the time without a hint of stability. It’s a wonder what simple good positioning, skillfull dodging, and fast reactions on stunbreaks will do.

Sorry Pyro but I still think you are really overstating the value of these evasive moves on the Skyhammer map. The main problems there, I’ve found, are pulls and knockbacks. Stunbreakers are useless against these moves, and many of them have no or very short tells meaning you will only avoid them if you’re lucky.

Not that I’d want to make a build around one (contentious) PvP map. But there are classes that can adapt to Skyhammer much more readily than we can by swapping in weapons or utilities.

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

Eh, stunbreakers aren’t useless against those any more. That was changed… 3 patches ago?

At least unless I’m completely mistakes, I can self-break my Engineer’s self-knockback at least.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Qaelyn.7612

How do you use a stunbreaker on a pull? It’s instantaneous.

in Mesmer

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

this.

I think thief is the only other class that can get away with using 3x stunbreaks.

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

How do you use a stunbreaker on a pull? It’s instantaneous.

If you press it while being moved to the target location it immediately aborts the movement and frame-resets you to standing “ready”-pose. It’s the equivalent of a one-more cancel in some fighting games.

in Mesmer

Qaelyn.7612

If you press it while being moved to the target location it immediately aborts the movement and frame-resets you to standing “ready”-pose. It’s the equivalent of a one-more cancel in some fighting games.

I dealt with a thief doing this to me just the other day. The pull takes only a fraction of a second, and it’s often done while the thief was stealthed. Interrupting it with a stunbreaker while simultaneously doing all the other things going on in combat would require superhuman reflexes.

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

I dealt with a thief doing this to me just the other day. The pull takes only a fraction of a second, and it’s often done while the thief was stealthed. Interrupting it with a stunbreaker while simultaneously doing all the other things going on in combat would require superhuman reflexes.

While it is technically possible to stunbreak something like scorpion wire, it’s much easier to avoid either the attack itself, or position yourself in such a way that it can’t drag you over a hole.

Most knockbacks/pulls have a really nice animation that lets you avoid them very easily, or you can simply assume that a certain class will hit you with them if you get close, and keep your back to a wall.

It also helps that I’ll always man the cannon in skyhammer, as the really tight space is pretty much the most optimal working environment for a clone death build possible.

in Mesmer

Qaelyn.7612

Fine, so under ideal circumstances a highly-skilled and highly-experienced player can deal with not having stability in situations where it’s extremely useful. But those situations still exist, and mesmers are pretty weak in that regard.